Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lee?  He's all Alabama and picks on all the sites have been coming in for him.

From his notes a few hours ago.

Four-star cornerback Dijon Lee (Mission Viejo, Calif./High) is one OnTexasFootball is monitoring ahead of his June 28 noon EST commitment. Alabama is the popular pick in the industry, and that could very well happen. OTF will say that Texas is deeper in contention here than given credit for nationally. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry likes the momentum Texas has for Sharma, Dijon Lee, and Charles.

Gerry said Texas is likely #2 in the Dijon Lee recruitment. They in better position than most think and capable of pulling a surprise, but Bama is expected to be the pick. 

Edited by Codaxx

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So any new updates regarding Jonah Williams now that Schloss is at Texas?  Thought being able to play baseball was big part of the A&M draw for him.

https://247sports.com/player/jonah-williams-46130910/

Doesn't seem like the staff is in love with him enough to allocate a serious chunk of NIL dough, but if he really wants to come then sure, whatever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Doesn't seem like the staff is in love with him enough to allocate a serious chunk of NIL dough, but if he really wants to come then sure, whatever.

Yeah, every time Gerry addresses this he gives a big sigh and basically says baseball isn't the only reason Texas wasn't recruiting him

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, every time Gerry addresses this he gives a big sigh and basically says baseball isn't the only reason Texas wasn't recruiting him

I'm curious, though. I assume that it is because he is going to outgrow safety and may not project to linebacker as cleanly as the linebackers that we are recruiting.

South: Texas football recruiting intel ahead of key decision dates

Dead Periods are never dead in this era of college football. With official visits wrapped up for the summer, if anything, it's likely to feel more live than ever.

That's because commitments are coming, and a lot of them. Not just for Texas, but for every school. The new trend is take your summer official visits and make decisions before your senior season. That's true for nearly every Texas target in the 2025 cycle.

Here's some of the latest intel ahead of what should be a busy next couple of weeks.

— Four-star defensive lineman Josiah Sharma will announce his decision tomorrow, June 28 at 2 p.m. CT on the 247Sports YouTube channel. Entering official visit season Horns247 reported Texas was considered the team to beat talking with sources. The Longhorns are battling Alabama and Oregon for the talented Folsom (Calif.) defender. The latest intel suggests optimism on both Texas and Alabama sides ahead of tomorrow afternoon's announcement. One source over the weekend felt it was a Texas-Oregon battle, with Alabama third. The Crimson Tide got the last official visit and he has history with Kalen DeBoer as he was once committed to Washington under the now-Alabama head coach. You can't ever count out the Tide regardless. I'm still leaning towards Texas slightly, but this is subject to a few more twists and turns before Friday. The Longhorns are pushing full throttle here to try and bring this one home.

— I reported in The Stampede on Monday that Texas is trending up with four-star defensive lineman Myron Charles. We've continued to track the recruitment throughout this week and continue to feel the same, if not better, about where the Longhorns stand. Texas is pressing for Charles up against Florida State and to some extent Miami. UT may be in the best position as we sit here on June 27. Keep an eye out for a potential Crystal Ball.

— It's been quiet on the Nick Brooks front since he left Austin two weekends ago after an official visit, his second trip to the Forty Acres since April. Entering the visit weekend, USC and Georgia were the teams trending when checking with industry sources. Texas just might have changed that, though. Talking with those close to the situation, there's Burnt Orange buzz when it comes to UT's chances with Brooks. The 6-foot-7, 345-pounder is a prototypical Texas OL type. It should be noted Iowa is not considered a factor in this one.

— I entered a Crystal Ball in favor of Texas for four-star defensive lineman DJ Sanders earlier this week. Nothing has changed there. I think Texas lands the talented Bellville standout over Michigan and Texas A&M.

— Four-star edge rusher Smith Orogbo appeared on the verge of committing to Texas Tech earlier this month. As Horns247 reported, Texas said not so fast and kept chugging away in his recruitment. Orogbo was on campus in Austin June 14-16 before Oklahoma June 21-23. Talking to sources there appears to be renewed optimism surrounding Texas' chances in this one with official visit season coming to a close. He announces a decision on July 1.

— Three DBs we continue to feel good about on Horns247 are: Kade Phillips, Aidan Anding, and Nathan Tilmon. All three could be a part of this class by mid-July.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I'm curious, though. I assume that it is because he is going to outgrow safety and may not project to linebacker as cleanly as the linebackers that we are recruiting.

Gerry brought up questions about if he stays at safety and the fact it is hard to play 2 sports at a high level in college. Not much reason to push for a kid that is not solely focused on football with positional ambiguity. 

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

What a rollercoaster from feeling like we didn't lead for any DTs to potentially getting Brown, Sharma, Charles, and Sanders.  May be our best DT haul since Sark has been here.  Let's hope it comes to fruition.  

That DT haul would be better than anything Herman or Strong did.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, if Charles, Sharma, or Brown go anywhere else, they're doing so in spite of considerably better NIL options at Texas. They'd have to really, really, love another option.

Talent/ culture combo is the difference with Texas focusing on them?  

Committing NIL to them as opposed to others?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, if Charles, Sharma, or Brown go anywhere else, they're doing so in spite of considerably better NIL options at Texas. They'd have to really, really, love another option.

Has there been a big shift re: defensive line NIL allocation in the past week? Seems like this all turned on a dime in the past few days and reminds me of 2022 when we just cleaned up on OL recruiting at the end of the cycle.  

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Has there been a big shift re: defensive line NIL allocation in the past week? Seems like this all turned on a dime in the past few days and reminds me of 2022 when we just cleaned up on OL recruiting at the end of the cycle.  

It appears that the writing was on the wall for the defensive line class and something had to change, and fast.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/26/2024 at 9:57 AM, closetojumping said:

I've said all along that this is likely a top 5 class. I just referenced two guys that I think Texas is about to get who help fulfill that prophecy. I've pushed and been pushed back on regarding the approach at DT, but have zero other complaints. Also, there's a really good chance that Sarkisian has actually gotten religion on NIL focus for DT. If that's so, Kenny Baker is going to look like a wizard and a bunch of folks are going to declare victory on his sheer recruiting prowess.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It appears that the writing was on the wall for the defensive line class and something had to change, and fast.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It's a confluence of a few events and one reality. 

Bo Davis knocked Sarkisian's dick in the dirt by getting Zion Williams to cancel the Texas OV. Then some other targets that Texas had confidence in made it clear they were heading elsewhere. Then the mom is bragging about Bo Davis on Brown's OV to Texas. 

So something has to give somewhere, and anyone who thinks Sarkisian lacks ego and doesn't take it personally with the Bo Davis stuff is kidding themselves. 

Beyond that, the reality is that a good NIL offer from Texas is overmatching what poor clown SEC institutions can muster. For Charles, there's also a depth in the class issue at FSU. 

Texas held its water when OU and Auburn went nuts at DT last cycle. That was manageable until Robinson begged off after Davis split for Baton Rouge.

I was talking to a buddy involved at Bama and then later a buddy involved nationally. Bama is facing some serious Sophie's Choice cases heading into the 24-25 roster/recruiting cycle. LSU is a fucking joke. I look forward to watching them squawk more and bitch about CFB these days. But hey, sure, you got Zion Williams by getting his girlfriend financial benefits to attend and shit. Hope they stay together forever and such.

Does all this make Bo Davis a poor man's Kenny Baker?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

I’m very surprised Alabama seems to be still recruiting at a very high level. I would have thought we’d see a drop off. 
Unlike Mack in 2010 after being a cunt hair (and pinched nerve) away from a Championship, Deboer has been aggressively using his star power along with the still strong Bama brand.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t like shitting on recruits but it appears that our DB class is gong to suck ass. But I have trust in Gideon and whoever the fuck our CBs coach is because at least he didn’t COST US A FUCKING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. 

? Phillips, Anding, Chester seems like a decent baseline. With the chance to add and keep recruiting some higher ranked guys through the season.