Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

So who is left on the DT board?  Brown and Sanders?  If Texas is not allocating enough to DL, will this open Sark’s eyes?  Also, maybe don’t hire a coach who has Western Kentucky DL coach for a year as the highlight on his resume.  Nansen is killing it in recruiting and the portal and he’s been on the job the same amount of time.  Choice did same his first years.  Baker may turn out to be a hell of a DL coach but Texas isn’t the place for him to try to prove it.  That’s on Sark for hiring him.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So who is left on the DT board?  Brown and Sanders?  If Texas is not allocating enough to DL, will this open Sark’s eyes?  Also, maybe don’t hire a coach who has Western Kentucky DL coach for a year as the highlight on his resume.  Nansen is killing it in recruiting and the portal and he’s been on the job the same amount of time.  Choice did same his first years.  Baker may turn out to be a hell of a DL coach but Texas isn’t the place for him to try to prove it.  That’s on Sark for hiring him.  

Idk about this take!! We’ve had 5 and 4 star IDL for years and got our ass whooped by 3stars those same years cause of under development! If Sark hired a developer the stars will come once he shows what he can do. Just gotta show patience! Let see why Sark went after him. With all the NFL connects Sark has Coaches talk I’m sure it was a reason he hired him

shid honestly give me a developer at DB coach cause rather y’all like it or not, Joseph can recruit but his development is the problem right now 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I mean the defensive recruiting is night and day different than the offense, look at DL and Secondary especially.  Something has to change eventually.  

What is wrong with the secondary recruiting? Did they not just sign the best DB class in the country last year, and none of those guys were committed at this point last cycle. It's like being obtuse to how the last few Sarkisian classes have come together is the most important thing on this board.

Guys, Sark plays the long game. It's not like every year he's been here he hasn't flipped dudes. It will be the same thing later in the season. So these kids committed today? OK. I guess Sark and Co will just walk away with an L and not continue to work them down the stretch. 

It's June. It's fine. Let the season play out. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Guys, Sark plays the long game. It's not like every year he's been here he hasn't flipped dudes. It will be the same thing later in the season. So these kids committed today? OK. I guess Sark and Co will just walk away with an L and not continue to work them down the stretch. 

It's June. It's fine. Let the season play out. 

Cope

14 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Idk about this take!! We’ve had 5 and 4 star IDL for years and got our ass whooped by 3stars those same years cause of under development! If Sark hired a developer the stars will come once he shows what he can do. Just gotta show patience! Let see why Sark went after him. With all the NFL connects Sark has Coaches talk I’m sure it was a reason he hired him

shid honestly give me a developer at DB coach cause rather y’all like it or not, Joseph can recruit but his development is the problem right now 

I agree with getting a developer as well.  We just need to survive the first year when he's getting shit on by all the other schools.  It sounded like we set a ton of money to DL recently but it shows you that other schools are willing to go above and beyond.  Texas will need to spend way above this first year to help Baker.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Nansen is a proven recruiter with a lot of skins on the wall. He killed the portal with kids from his old team. Unfortunately, there are no Dolphins in the portal for Baker. Nansen was recruiting and establishing relationships with 2025s last year.  Baker was not. I hoped for better, but most assumed this would be a tough cycle for Baker and he would need help. Any expectation that Baker would walk in and perform like Nansen is just misguided 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Damn this is the most aggy-ish response I’ve seen in awhile.

But to be honest I kinda agree. Hook ‘em

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Nansen is a proven recruiter with a lot of skins on the wall. He killed the portal with kids from his old team. Unfortunately, there are no Dolphins in the portal for Baker. Nansen was recruiting and establishing relationships with 2025s last year.  Baker was not. I hoped for better, but most assumed this would be a tough cycle for Baker and he would need help. Any expectation that Baker would walk in and perform like Nansen is just misguided 

No one is expecting Baker to be an elite recruiter.  That was my point.  We’ve hired proven guys at other positions with a good track record and guess what, they’re recruiting lights out.  On the flip end, we basically struck out on our top DL coaching targets and settled for Baker and it shows.  He can’t sell shit at a position that’s pretty damn important to recruit at a high level if you want to compete with UGA, Bama and the likes.   Regardless, I was expecting the dude to at least land 1-2 guys.  Just hope Brown doesn’t flip or he will have struck out on every target unless you want to count Sanders as a priority target.  Not blaming Baker bc the dude shouldn’t have been hired in the first place.  As a program, we’re at a place where we should be able to attract talented assistants given where we have progressed to.  If we didn’t land Freddy Roach, well that doesn’t mean we go and hire a dude that’s a damn assistant DL coach, not even the actual DL coach, whose entire collegiate coaching experience is western fucking Kentucky.  There’s a lot of options in between those two.

• Hook 'Em 1

Baker will eventually be fine if given adequate NIL support and time to build relationships.  While undoubtedly a questionable hire, early returns on the most important part of his job—coaching and development—have been positive.

What is truly inexcusable is hiring a 28-year old with minimal experience to be the general manager of a program more valuable than several professional sports franchises. Apologies to any gen z reading this thread, but I can barely trust my juniors not to accidentally choke themselves to death with a laptop cord if left unsupervised.  I can’t imagine letting one be responsible for overseeing all aspects of a professional organization and going head-to-head with grown men at rival institutions.

I really like Sark.  But he has made several “wtf” decisions off the field where it is easy to question whether he actually considers the full scope of potential consequences.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have no problem with the Kenny Baker hire if you think he can develop talent well. But if you hire a guy with no skins on the wall, then you need to dedicate more resources to DL recruiting to make up for that. And up until recently, CTJ was saying we weren’t doing that.

That isn’t just a Kenny Baker problem, that’s a resource management problem from Sark.  All this talk about 3 5-star WRs is cool, but it’s literally the lowest thing on the needs list right now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Something tells me all the hype behind Texas NIL isn't all true. Surely we're ahead of the game and have a high budget, but the fact that we can't really consistently crack top3 and struggle to crack the top5 recruiting classes despite this "monster budget" and relatively solid recent on-field success is a tell. Oregon has been more consistent on the field, yes, but they don't really have any signature wins/playoffs/etc. like we do. UGA is the new behemoth (justified given their winning) and tOSU is always at the top but... they're [UGA/tOSU] a league above in terms of acquiring talent and roughly equal in terms of getting portal talent. Bama was in that class, too, with the Saban discount and, of course, the absurd past 15 year run. But they're not exactly losing tons of steam and will likely finish, again, right around where we do in terms of rankings. Of course star power isn't everything, but it kind of is in terms of actually winning championships (conference or national). I know Sark is just getting going (and he's really grown on me; I was full-on Team Urban) and last year was phenomenal but we haven't really been able to capitalize on any of that, at all, in terms of recruiting success. That might change, but nobody is predicting us to vault into the top 2. If we finish top 4 again in the playoffs, maybe top 3 (recruiting). But something really smells about our NIL hype.

We're being lied to by the $9.99ers.

Besides Arch, we don't ever lock up top10 players in the country a year out with regularity. We've been having to steal them at the last minute. Meanwhile, tOSU and Georgia are already locking down 5* guys in 2026.

Traditionally, going back to Mack, we offer national top guys late, rarely get them locked up early, and are always f*ing scrambling. Sometimes that works (last year, it worked really well), but we're not living up to the hype of "unlimited power" from the recruiting Death Star that we're being fed, sorry to say.

That being said, I feel like our on-field product IS definitely getting way better and I'm absolutely m*f*ing hyped for this season and next given our absurd offensive talent.

Edited by cb866
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, cb866 said:

Something tells me all the hype behind Texas NIL isn't all true. Surely we're ahead of the game and have a high budget, but the fact that we can't really consistently crack top3 and struggle to crack the top5 recruiting classes despite this "monster budget" and relatively solid recent on-field success is a tell. Oregon has been more consistent on the field, yes, but they don't really have any signature wins/playoffs/etc. like we do. UGA is the new behemoth (justified given their winning) and tOSU is always at the top but... they're [UGA/tOSU] a league above in terms of acquiring talent and roughly equal in terms of getting portal talent. Bama was in that class, too, with the Saban discount and, of course, the absurd past 15 year run. But they're not exactly losing tons of steam and will likely finish, again, right around where we do in terms of rankings. Of course star power isn't everything, but it kind of is in terms of actually winning championships (conference or national). I know Sark is just getting going (and he's really grown on me; I was full-on Team Urban) and last year was phenomenal but we haven't really been able to capitalize on any of that, at all, in terms of recruiting success. That might change, but nobody is predicting us to vault into the top 2. If we finish top 4 again in the playoffs, maybe top 3 (recruiting). But something really smells about our NIL hype.

Besides Arch, we don't ever lock up top10 players in the country a year out with regularity. We've been having to steal them at the last minute. Meanwhile, tOSU and Georgia are already locking down 5* guys in 2026.

Traditionally, going back to Mack, we offer national top guys late, rarely get them locked up early, and are always f*ing scrambling. Sometimes that works (last year, it worked really well), but we're not living up to the hype of "unlimited power" from the recruiting Death Star that we're being fed, sorry to say.

That being said, I feel like our on-field product IS definitely getting way better and I'm absolutely m*f*ing hyped for this season and next given our absurd offensive talent

I feel you but take it down a notch. We'll be ok. Start locking down the 5 stars in Texas and you wouldn't even have posted. 

5 hours ago, cb866 said:

That being said, I feel like our on-field product IS definitely getting way better and I'm absolutely m*f*ing hyped for this season and next given our absurd offensive talent.

Oregon hasn’t recruited anywhere close to us the past 3 years and they have unlimited monies. OSU and Georgia have been consistently good for 10+ years while we’ve been in the dumpster. We just finished top 3 in the first year where our NIL was fully formed, how do you know we can’t be consistently top 3 yet? This is dumb as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 9

6 hours ago, cb866 said:

Dude… this is quite the extreme take.  You have to remember that our classes are usually a bit smaller bc we save spots for the portal and do quite well in it.  We’ve landed no shortage of 5 stars.  We’re simply struggling at DT.  I imagine it’s probably a combination of a DL coach that doesn’t have the resume that’s needed and needing to reallocate some NiL funds.  Outside of that we are going to put together a pretty salty class. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I disagree about defensive linemen being less of a priority than receiver. If there is a position that is ample in the transfer portal, it’s receiver. You can rebuild your receiver room with dudes every offseason if you had to. If it were me, I would only sign two receivers out of high school at most every cycle and money whip 1-2 proven guys every year. Productive wide receivers are always available. Why take the development risk on more than a couple every cycle? 

Which is probably why I said exactly that in the paragraph about how one might ideally reallocate recourses. 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The lack of perspective on here, especially as it relates to DT is fucking hilarious. Of all the positions around- jag types at DT are just fine. Would it be awesome to have a fucking all pro at every position?  Sure. But if you are going to JAG go JAG at this route where literally any huge fat body can anchor down and gum things up enough to sort of quasi throw their shit in the muck. It’s not like we are planning on not fielding a DT  

Order of preference to spend money on should be just about like the NFL draft and should roughly go:

QB, DE, OT, WR, CB, DT, S, LB, RB, TE

we have the best QB room maybe in our programs history. DE was a huge problem and now it’s not. Currently in really good shape at OT  WR is fucking stacked.  If you want to argue that we are allocating too much to RB and should repurpose that to DT I’d probably agree.  If you want to say what we are doing at WR for high school kids is overkill with how stacked our room is and how good at portal we’ve done and abundant quality in portal while that’s more rare at DT sure.  But you are nitpicking.  If the offense goes out and scores 50 a game and we have studs coming off the edge while the other team is in passing situation we will be absolutely fine.

College football is like MLB in that there is no salary cap and vastly different level of resources  between different teams- and yet- I’m still waiting for the MLB team whose fans don’t pick apart one area of the team as substandard and notch and moan about it.  

I realize a lot of you guys seek analogs for comfort and that’s human nature and all, but monetary priorities in CFB don’t totally square with those of the NFL and they never will. 

TBs aren’t prioritized in the NFL due to lifetime value and the bullets TBs take in college. CFB powers have hoarded and coveted elite TBs because are a core power source for high octane offenses and can also lock games up at the end. CFB coaches need not worry about overuse and burn out at TB. Worth it. 

That said, do you guys not understand that the DT market in aggregate commands way more spend than any spots besides QB, OT, and CB in the NIL arena? Outside of the top 5 WRs and top DEs, DT through the top 25-30 nationally outstrips those positions and, frankly all the rest besides QB. 

That last part is what the UT staff, from intel gatherers and budget owners like Harris and crew up to Sarkisian aren’t getting. 

Two things happened yesterday - 

1) Oregon decided to offer seven figures to a DT. That’s unprecedented and whiners on here are fucking clueless about how this works if they’re still bitching knowing that. 

2) Sarkisian and company received some really bush league assurances from their staff about where things stood with Charles’ camp. That’s on All Offense, No DT Steve for how he’s handled his roster-building staff with the departure of some folks who weren’t always yes men. Maybe that’s less “impressive” to Brandon Harris fanbois and Steve DTlessian, but oh well. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

DL seems to be one of the better positions for late bloomers. We didn’t even offer Byron Murphy until November of the 2021 cycle. We’ll flip 1-2 and evaluate another couple and be fine.

This idea is fine, but if you are not hitting on elite talent, you need numbers. That is the issue. Having 2 classes of 1 DT in the first 4 cycles is not ideal. Texas has hit their number once in 4 years (that class of 4 already has an 50% attrition rate). Texas overhauled the OL room by bringing in numbers and hitting on some elite recruits. Neither have happened at DT. This is one of the most important positions in football and it’s the least healthy position on the team. There is reason Texas went so hard in the portal. It’s going to be tough to be consistent at DT relying on the portal. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, cb866 said:

You can say fuck on here. Fuck fuck fuck. This isn't church or the OTF board (or wherever you came from). 

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize a lot of you guys seek analogs for comfort and that’s human nature and all, but monetary priorities in CFB don’t totally square with those of the NFL and they never will. 

TBs aren’t prioritized in the NFL due to lifetime value and the bullets TBs take in college. CFB powers have hoarded and coveted elite TBs because are a core power source for high octane offenses and can also lock games up at the end. CFB coaches need not worry about overuse and burn out at TB. Worth it. 

That said, do you guys not understand that the DT market in aggregate commands way more spend than any spots besides QB, OT, and CB in the NIL arena? Outside of the top 5 WRs and top DEs, DT through the top 25-30 nationally outstrips those positions and, frankly all the rest besides QB. 

That last part is what the UT staff, from intel gatherers and budget owners like Harris and crew up to Sarkisian aren’t getting. 

Two things happened yesterday - 

1) Oregon decided to offer seven figures to a DT. That’s unprecedented and whiners on here are fucking clueless about how this works if they’re still bitching knowing that. 

2) Sarkisian and company received some really bush league assurances from their staff about where things stood with Charles’ camp. That’s on All Offense, No DT Steve for how he’s handled his roster-building staff with the departure of some folks who weren’t always yes men. Maybe that’s less “impressive” to Brandon Harris fanbois and Steve DTlessian, but oh well. 

Wild. I'd want an All American DT from the portal for that kind of money. 

Edited by Bevo14

59 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I disagree about defensive linemen being less of a priority than receiver. If there is a position that is ample in the transfer portal, it’s receiver. You can rebuild your receiver room with dudes every offseason if you had to. If it were me, I would only sign two receivers out of high school at most every cycle and money whip 1-2 proven guys every year. Productive wide receivers are always available. Why take the development risk on more than a couple every cycle? 

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thank you. I appreciate the relentless positivity that @Wulaw Horn brings, but the idea that DL isn't one of the most important positions in CFB is insane. I get that circumstances differ and reasonable people can disagree, but it's arguably the most important position after QB. IDL and 3/5-tech DE make or break teams. If want to argue that OT or CB are more important I'll chalk that up to opinions, but you have to at least acknowledge that DL is in the conversation. Those Clemson teams from 2015 - 2020 had plenty of jags, but were successful because of elite QB play and monster DL. Downplaying the importance of DL is silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Thank you. I appreciate the relentless positivity that @Wulaw Horn brings, but the idea that DL isn't one of the most important positions in CFB is insane. I get that circumstances differ and reasonable people can disagree, but it's arguably the most important position after QB. IDL and 3/5-tech DE make or break teams. If want to argue that OT or CB are more important I'll chalk that up to opinions, but you have to at least acknowledge that DL is in the conversation. Those Clemson teams from 2015 - 2020 had plenty of jags, but were successful because of elite QB play and monster DL. Downplaying the importance of DL is silly. 

Those Bama teams, those Georgia teams, pretty much every elite NC, yeah 

29 minutes ago, cdain3 said:
45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Anding with a CB to LSU from Embody

Seems like offering late only hurts when UT does it to Texas kids smh

We often get Texas kids we offer late, and LSU sometimes gets told to pound sand by instate kids when they try the late offer.

It generally works better for them because they're the only instate school, but it does run both ways.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lance Jackson is going to be a DT right? He's going to arrive here around 6'6" 300 lbs. Where is he being slotted by our coaches now?

Because if he's now viewed as a future DT, then I would think we need to 1) Hold on to Brown, 2) Add Sanders (I guess), and 3) Add one high end DT to the class sometime between today and February 2025. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 2