Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Embody is a pretty big moron.  Dude thinks LSU will get everyone.  They may get him but Texas has been on Anding for a while and I believe he’s from northern Louisiana where LSU doesn’t have the same pull.  If he commits to them next week, well then not much Texas could have done differently.  

LSU may have improved the coaching on the defensive side of the ball, but that unit isn't going to magically be night and day difference in two months.  Here's to hoping Riley drops 50+.  And that offense isn't going to be anywhere near like last season.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The lack of perspective on here, especially as it relates to DT is fucking hilarious. Of all the positions around- jag types at DT are just fine. Would it be awesome to have a fucking all pro at every position?  Sure. But if you are going to JAG go JAG at this route where literally any huge fat body can anchor down and gum things up enough to sort of quasi throw their shit in the muck. It’s not like we are planning on not fielding a DT  

Incredible that this got 10 upvotes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone who thinks DT isn’t that important as compared to various other positions, just ask yourself one question. Of all the good teams over the years, how many, including Texas last year, had strong DT’s. The answer is “a lot of them”.  

The reason is that without strong DT’s you are vulnerable to the run up the middle and on the edges. And you are vulnerable in the defensive secondary because you don’t get a good enough pass rush. 

Our two DT’s last year were crucial to Texas getting to the playoff.  Off the top of my head, I can remember more than a dozen specific plays where the DT’s made huge plays at crucial moments. And considering our CB’s and safeties were shaky last year at times, it was the DT’s who papered over that deficiency. DT’s are crucial. 

• Hook 'Em 8

There were about 15 years in there transitioning from Macovic to Mack Brown that our defense would regularly crack open right up the middle for long touchdown plays. I don't want to live those days again.

Three questions:

1. We're missing out on star players, but are our players and prospective players at DT worse than average?

2. We're recruiting well at Edge and LB. Why wouldn't the talent imbalance moving to those positions not offset the diminished talent at the DT spots?

3. It seems that great speed and power at Edge and LB offers advantages against the increasing reliance on the pass.  Is there no effective defensive scheme that maximizes LB and Edge and relies less on DTs?

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

This isn't rocket science or organic chemistry or what have you.  Football is won in the trenches.

I agree. The bizarre thing to me is that this is clearly believed by the staff when it comes to the OL. I’m sure it’s intellectually understood regarding DL too, but I will argue it ends there until we see recruiting and portal results otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, cafe society said:

This isn't rocket science or organic chemistry or what have you.  Football is won in the trenches.

Watching that unbeaten Patriots squad get done in by the Giants elite DL comes to mind. Then same thing almost happened to us the next year vs Nebraska in the Big 12 title game. It can truly negate any other mismatch on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Watching that unbeaten Patriots squad get done in by the Giants elite DL comes to mind. Then same thing almost happened to us the next year vs Nebraska in the Big 12 title game. It can truly negate any other mismatch on the field. 

Only one freak was doing that to us, and his name was Ndamukong Suh. He, and he alone abused every lineman we had. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Only one freak was doing that to us, and his name was Ndamukong Suh. He, and he alone abused every lineman we had. 

He bullied us but really their entire defense was great that year. Only gave up over 20 points once in 14 games. I don’t feel so bad about our performance anymore.

• Like 1

I stay away from NIL talk but I do wonder if all the unused DT allocation will be used to make a better final offer for fewer targets, will be moved to other areas, or will be held in reserve. 

I guess what I’m having trouble with from reading @closetojumping’s posts on the matter is that if Steve won’t allow the guys to recruit lower stars, and we aren’t hitting on the high stars because there is always one other team with the over the top offer, what does that leave?

it appears, so far, that we aren’t willing to be the team with the over the top offer on a DT. Might be better for team dynamics- I have no clue how that has been playing out- but we do need to sign players at the position. 

Y'all, all I was fucking saying was that I think fan expectations around our "death star" recruiting need to be tempered. Holy smokes just relax. I was blaming the $9.99ers for sunshine pumping, not the staff or admin. Some of our critics _can_ be right some of the time... we can tend to be arrogant with regard to comparison to other programs, and it is mostly due to a perceived endowment advantage. A little self-reflection is never bad.

For instance, just look at the (albeit funny/ironic) title of this thread "now we have a machine gun." While I happen to think it's an awesome idea, we're not Georgia or tOSU yet in recruiting. Believing we're going to become that over night is just silly.

Alright, now let's get back to whining about DTs. #hookem /nosatyanash

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I realize a lot of you guys seek analogs for comfort and that’s human nature and all, but monetary priorities in CFB don’t totally square with those of the NFL and they never will. 

TBs aren’t prioritized in the NFL due to lifetime value and the bullets TBs take in college. CFB powers have hoarded and coveted elite TBs because are a core power source for high octane offenses and can also lock games up at the end. CFB coaches need not worry about overuse and burn out at TB. Worth it. 

That said, do you guys not understand that the DT market in aggregate commands way more spend than any spots besides QB, OT, and CB in the NIL arena? Outside of the top 5 WRs and top DEs, DT through the top 25-30 nationally outstrips those positions and, frankly all the rest besides QB. 

That last part is what the UT staff, from intel gatherers and budget owners like Harris and crew up to Sarkisian aren’t getting. 

Two things happened yesterday - 

1) Oregon decided to offer seven figures to a DT. That’s unprecedented and whiners on here are fucking clueless about how this works if they’re still bitching knowing that. 

2) Sarkisian and company received some really bush league assurances from their staff about where things stood with Charles’ camp. That’s on All Offense, No DT Steve for how he’s handled his roster-building staff with the departure of some folks who weren’t always yes men. Maybe that’s less “impressive” to Brandon Harris fanbois and Steve DTlessian, but oh well. 

Look- you are obviously more plugged in than me, and just smarter about football. I don’t disagree with anything you say here… but I stand by my point that being awesome on offense and being awesome at edge, really good at LB and decent in the secondary means you can still win big with JAG’s at DT. We will see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- you are obviously more plugged in than me, and just smarter about football. I don’t disagree with anything you say here… but I stand by my point that being awesome on offense and being awesome at edge, really good at LB and decent in the secondary means you can still win big with JAG’s at DT. We will see. 

Define awesome, really good, decent and JAG? What bucket are you throwing the grown ass men we have playing DT this year in?

14 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

@Wulaw Horn The easiest way to explain this is, if you have dominant DTs then the offense has to commit 3 or 4 to block 2. In turn eDgE players get one on ones. That leaves 1 back to block 2 LBs.  Demanding double teams in the middle is the surest way to build a great defense. 

Sure. Thats one way to build a team. Another is to build a team that scores 45 or 50 a game, terrorizes people on the edge and locks down on the secondary because the other team has to throw the ball to catch up. I’m agnostic as long as we win. We had the best DT’s in the nation lat year and crapped out in the final 4. I think we will be a better team this year. Resources are scarce. News at 11!  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. Thats one way to build a team. Another is to build a team that scores 45 or 50 a game, terrorizes people on the edge and locks down on the secondary because the other team has to throw the ball to catch up. I’m agnostic as long as we win. We had the best DT’s in the nation lat year and crapped out in the final 4. I think we will be a better team this year. Resources are scarce. News at 11!  

You can’t smoke brisket for shit Lincoln!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Texas is getting absolutely worked on the defensive side of the ball this week.

Yeah it hasn’t been good but I’d rather have a bad week in June vs Dec. Now given what Oregon is doing I wouldn’t be surprised if they go way over market for DK Moore. Going to be interesting to see what happens there.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Counterpoint: Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Michigan 

• Hook 'Em 1