Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Good DTs are like good OTs. They don't fall from trees and are brutally expensive in the portal.

I get that, but yet there are goods ones in the portal every year.

I'd rather spend more on known quality DT, then waste money on a HS kid at a position that is, like OL, often a crap shoot.  Especially since if you do hit on a good one they will be expensive to keep anyway.

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. Thats one way to build a team. Another is to build a team that scores 45 or 50 a game, terrorizes people on the edge and locks down on the secondary because the other team has to throw the ball to catch up. I’m agnostic as long as we win. We had the best DT’s in the nation lat year and crapped out in the final 4. I think we will be a better team this year. Resources are scarce. News at 11!  

I agree that there are many ways to skin a cat but think about it this way.  What is the first play taught on offense,  lead, dive, Inside zone, trap.  Why, because that's the easiest way to get positive yards.  Might not be explosive but it gets the job done. The easiest way to negate speed is to run right at it.  Simple football, on offense run north south. Defense,  make the offense run east west.  Pass rush is much better when EdGe rushers are soloed up and don't have to worry about being chipped.  I didn't say you can't be good without dominate DTs, it is just much more difficult and every other position has to cover for them.  Like baseball,  be strong up the middle. 

53 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Texas is getting absolutely worked on the defensive side of the ball this week.

It's not like it's been unexpected.  

All things being relatively equal, IE NIL, if you were a top DT, with no ties to the Longhorns, would you pick Texas this year, or would you pick a school with a DL coach with a known track record?  Kenny need to show he can develop linemen at the top level of college football.  If he can't, we'll need to find someone who can.  But if he's successful this season we'll be fine.

And, as much as it makes me sick to say it, if I were a top DB, there's no way I'd seriously consider Texas until Gideon and Joseph are gone.  

IMO, Sark's worst mistake this off season was retaining those two.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

Hank South (Horns 247)

(After the Brew-haha.)

Just need to take a breath. 

There are no locks in recruiting. I will say we still feel good about Townsend and Dakorien Moore. And if the last 48 hours are of any indication you can bet Texas is circling back on it's other top guys to close.

Pettijohn would be a miss. If you can get Madden Faraimo, then I'm not sure you're hurting there at all. Plus Jon Cunningham. 

I'm not trying to make excuses. But I've seen this so many times in almost a decade of recruiting reporting to believe that Texas is going to be just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hank South (Horns 247)

(After the Brew-haha.)

Just need to take a breath. 

There are no locks in recruiting. I will say we still feel good about Townsend and Dakorien Moore. And if the last 48 hours are of any indication you can bet Texas is circling back on it's other top guys to close.

Pettijohn would be a miss. If you can get Madden Faraimo, then I'm not sure you're hurting there at all. Plus Jon Cunningham. 

I'm not trying to make excuses. But I've seen this so many times in almost a decade of recruiting reporting to believe that Texas is going to be just fine.

Fuck you, Hank. You’re not my mother. 

• Haha 7

30 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

The last three years haven't been kind to Uncle Phil. Maybe he wants to swings big one last time before he heads to the big foot locker in the sky, or below.

image.thumb.png.e2f51383540ffab598ebcddb4cd22c11.png

Maybe this is sarcasm, but this is not how liquidity works with corporate wealth

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

We love overstating the difficulties of getting a DT in the portal even though we got 3 this year and one last year. Now that we are embracing the villain role somebody needs to be full-time dedicated to tampering 

Texas got 1 last year. He did not play a ton, so I am missing your point. The portal might have 1-3 legitimate DTs a year in it. There is depth, but it is going to be hard to get All-SEC caliber players. They rarely leave. Unless your Georgia and have a plethora of NFL DTs and don’t want to deal with a headcase 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas got 1 last year. He did not play a ton, so I am missing your point. The portal might have 1-3 legitimate DTs a year in it. There is depth, but it is going to be hard to get All-SEC caliber players. They rarely leave. Unless your Georgia and have a plethora of NFL DTs and don’t want to deal with a headcase 

That’s kind of the point why high school IDL is so expensive and worth it

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s kind of the point why high school IDL is so expensive and worth it

Getting known assets on 1 year stints is a better deal than 4-5 year commitments on unknown quantities.

Are they harder to acquire? Absolutely, but we are Texas.

Im also not convinced the portal has been around long enough to glean any certainty tendencies like " Good D tackles rarely are in the portal" Good D tackles like money I bet

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Getting known assets on 1 year stints is a better deal than 4-5 year commitments on unknown quantities.

Are they harder to acquire? Absolutely, but we are Texas.

Im also not convinced the portal has been around long enough to glean any certainty tendencies like " Good D tackles rarely are in the portal" Good D tackles like money I bet

Nothing about college athletics today is a 4-5 year commitment. 

Unknown quantity prospect vs proven performer transfer, sure. But the proven performers have even more competition to beat and presumably a larger cost. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Lurker and Former Coach here and trying to get in the mind of Sark after all these misses in DT recruiting…

only thing I can think of is- he doesn’t set much priority on the position. Typically it’s a rotational position and you want to have 3-4 guys each log about 20-30 snaps a game. Compare to OL who are getting about 80-90 snaps a game depending on # of plays etc. 

due to this maybe it’s a plug and play type of position for him?

there’s my 2 cents. Also there was panic about Chris Jackson last year and now he (and Sark) are legitimately in on three 5*’s. So I’m not worried about new DT coach until proven otherwise. 

Ps. Fuck the Brock’s 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

None of those guys are difference makers. They’re just role players

I'm not willing to go full @Wulaw Horn on it, but there's probably some legitimacy to what @CoachEmUp64 said above--if you have 5th year, maxed out seniors that have previous starting experience at major programs, you can get 75% of the benefit of better athletes by having enough of them you can keep them fresh.  I don't think that's what Sarkisian is intending, but it might be what we have to live with. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, D3zii said:

I pray we dnt become another Oklahoma under Riley. Great offense with soft defense 

Come on, man. Kwiatkowski has been one of the great defensive minds in college football for 10+ years. He's not going to forget how to coach just because some high schoolers don't pick his school. One of his calling cards is finding the strength of teams from year to year and making that the emphasis. This season, the DTs will obviously not be as dominant as last year's, but I suspect the overall defensive metrics stay about the same or improve slightly. 

Now, we sure need high-end DT talent coming into the program every year. Sark needs to fix this before it becomes a chronic issue that prevents Kwiatkowski and the defensive staff from becoming predictable, one-dimensional, and unable to do some of the things they'd like to do.

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

None of those guys are difference makers. They’re just role players

What is a difference maker? How many teams last year had difference makers? We had 2 at DT with meh edge play. The most important job of a DT is eat space to keep the LB's clean so they can make plays. 

Surly gonna Surly though.

I love how Bobby and Gerry were so confident that afrer winning the conference, making the playoffs, and moving to the SEC would be massive for recruiting, when all it's done so far has given us AIDS at DB/DL, where we need the beat players possible. Offense is fine, as per usual, since that's where the NIL seems to be spent with an offensive HC, but TE is grim if we don't land Townsend and just have future Juan Davis clone Emaree Winston. Does Klein's offense even use a TE? Because that's a kick to the nuts if they barely do and they have Armstrong, 

I can't bring myself to watch coffee and football until we actually land someone noteworthy. 

IMG_9597.gif

IMG_9598.gif

IMG_9599.gif

36 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

What is a difference maker? How many teams last year had difference makers? We had 2 at DT with meh edge play. The most important job of a DT is eat space to keep the LB's clean so they can make plays. 

Surly gonna Surly though.

I just don’t understand these posts. Texas had a top 5-10 defense last year. That was with “meh edge play” and inconsistent DB play. Imagine what that defense would have looked like with “meh” DT play? Having elite DTs allows you to play honest and even light boxes, which is very helpful to the secondary. It keeps your LBs clean. Gives your edges 1 on 1 opportunities to rush the passer.