Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ dude, chill the fuck out. It's June.

Also Emaree Winston and Juan Davis are about the most opposite TE takes there are.

It's hyperbole, dude. I'm not actually freaking out...yet. But I really can't watch coffee and football and listen to prognostications about a recruit leaning our way and then we lose them to...Oregon. 

Also Winston is 6'1. That's not exactly ideal size for a TE unsless he hits a growth spurt. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ dude, chill the fuck out. It's June.

Also Emaree Winston and Juan Davis are about the most opposite TE takes there are. And of course Klein uses TEs, did you watch any Kansas State games, including our own against them?

No kidding. It's so easy to spot those for whom this is their first rodeo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I love how Bobby and Gerry were so confident that afrer winning the conference, making the playoffs, and moving to the SEC would be massive for recruiting, when all it's done so far has given us AIDS at DB/DL, where we need the beat players possible. Offense is fine, as per usual, since that's where the NIL seems to be spent with an offensive HC, but TE is grim if we don't land Townsend and just have future Juan Davis clone Emaree Winston. Does Klein's offense even use a TE? Because that's a kick to the nuts if they barely do and they have Armstrong, 

I can't bring myself to watch coffee and football until we actually land someone noteworthy. 

IMG_9597.gif

IMG_9598.gif

IMG_9599.gif

Gerry has been critical of the DT recruiting. His biggest complaint is the lack of targets. Texas has passed on in state guys that will go to SEC schools. He has basically said if you go big game hunting at one of the most competitive positions, you better bring in 8-10 visitors there. I believe Texas brought in 5. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I just don’t understand these posts. Texas had a top 5-10 defense last year. That was with “meh edge play” and inconsistent DB play. Imagine what that defense would have looked like with “meh” DT play? Having elite DTs allows you to play honest and even light boxes, which is very helpful to the secondary. It keeps your LBs clean. Gives your edges 1 on 1 opportunities to rush the passer. 

Good DT play can mask a lot of weaker positions because they disrupt where the play begins, making other areas look better than they are. Those positions I expect to be improved from a year ago. I didn't ask you and don't expect you to understand it though. Don't really care either way. Your response actually proves my point but you "don't understand"?

Edited by Longhornlove

Just now, Codaxx said:

Gerry has been critical of the DT recruiting. His biggest complaint is the lack of targets. Texas has passed on in state guys that will go to SEC schools. He has basically said if you go big game hunting at one of the most competitive positions, you better bring in 8-10 visitors there. I believe Texas brought in 5. 

Yep. He said he thinks Chace Sims ends up at aggy, and I can't remember the other one. Sark and PK have really fucked up on this one unless Sark does his thing and pulls a few flips late. 

53 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

No kidding. It's so easy to spot those for whom this is their first rodeo. 

Half the posters on this board spent the better part of the 2010s hyping up JAG recruits like Gerald Wilbon and Reese Moore. It’s actually ok to let pessimism be as unchecked as optimism. 

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I love how Bobby and Gerry were so confident that afrer winning the conference, making the playoffs, and moving to the SEC would be massive for recruiting, when all it's done so far has given us AIDS at DB/DL, where we need the beat players possible. Offense is fine, as per usual, since that's where the NIL seems to be spent with an offensive HC, but TE is grim if we don't land Townsend and just have future Juan Davis clone Emaree Winston. Does Klein's offense even use a TE? Because that's a kick to the nuts if they barely do and they have Armstrong, 

I can't bring myself to watch coffee and football until we actually land someone noteworthy. 

IMG_9597.gif

IMG_9598.gif

IMG_9599.gif

Jordan Washington will be a stud. Calm your tits.

I swear some of you act like this team only exist of outgoing seniors and future recruits. Recruits of previous years are easily forgotten. Yes DT recruiting is a pain point. But after the last two recruiting classes I’m not sure why any other position is a major issue of concern. I don’t see any team stacking 5 stars on top of 5 stars anymore and if they do it’s likely a 1-2 year rental. As far as I’m concern there is always the portal and the next recruiting class to supplement misses in this one. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Goodman said:

Define awesome, really good, decent and JAG? What bucket are you throwing the grown ass men we have playing DT this year in?

A couple potential really good led by Alfred Collins. Decent in Broughton and maybe the Louie kid if he’s healthy. Norton. Then JAG behind that. That’s my guess. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This years DT group is going to be fine.  Norton is a huge dude and he was behind a bunch of NFL 1st and 2nd rounders at UGA.  He’d be in their rotation there getting significant playing time if he didn’t transfer.  The rotation of Collins, Norton, Savea, and Lole is 4 dudes that have a ton of experience and grown man bodies.  Arizona was no slouch on defense last year.  Then we’ve got some young talented dudes behind them.  I’d bet 2 dudes from the 4 mentioned get drafted.  The real problem is after all those dudes leave, we’ve basically got January, Bledsoe, Bryant that we can rely on. Mitchell has bust potential written all over him due to constant transfer rumors and weight issues.  We’re going to need to hit the portal hard again and sign 3-4 guys just to have depth.    

Hoping Melvin Hills pans out, but it's probably a couple years away until he's ready.  OTF guys recently said he's at 300 lbs.  

Like you said Arizona's defense was pretty salty last year and Norton and Savea both played a lot up front. 

Something that will also benefit this year is we aren't playing any of the better offensive minds in league play (Mizzou, Bama', Ole Miss).  Outside of Carsen Beck, which QB is above average?

Having said that, I also know we've been known to make scrub QB's look like Heisman contenders.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hoping Melvin Hills pans out, but it's probably a couple years away until he's ready.  OTF guys recently said he's at 300 lbs.  

Like you said Arizona's defense was pretty salty last year and Norton and Savea both played a lot up front. 

Something that will also benefit this year is we aren't playing any of the better offensive minds in league play (Mizzou, Bama', Ole Miss).  Outside of Carsen Beck, which QB is above average?

Having said that, I also know we've been known to make scrub QB's look like Heisman contenders.

If Weigman somehow stays healthy, he might be the best QB we face. I just don’t know how likely it is he stays healthy for an entire season. 

Edited by Newy25

I think Barron could do just l fine at corner opposite Muhammad. Then would need Gilbeau to lock down nickel.

Depth is an issue for a team hoping to play all the way to the title game. I think we see a ton of depth guys getting a lot of snaps all over the field in the 3 non Michigan OOC games. We need to start treating OOC as preseason and only schedule warm up/training level games for those to keep everyone fresh. 

I feel good about the secondary considering all the bad safeties are gone and hopefully with the experienced returning talent we can limit Taafe's time when the games are in doubt, can we already move him to the coaching staff. He might be a better recruiter than Gideon, considering he helped bring in Manning.

You have to think the secondary is set for the next 2 years.

2024: Muhammad-Barron-Williams-Mukaba-Cole

2025: Muhammad-Gilbeau-Williams-Filsaime-Black/Mack

This doesn't even including Rubell, Santana, McDonald, and Roberson

• Hook 'Em 1

ON SMITH-OROGBO, FROM OU 247 AND HORNS 247

THE GIST

Sooner 247

“Could I see a world where Oklahoma is the choice? Sure. But right now I'd be slightly leaning towards Texas.”

“The latest intel I've been able to gather, while certainly indicating Oklahoma remains towards the top, would have me at least thinking that Texas could be the pick.”

Horns 247

“Texas as definitely kept it interesting and rebounded from the early month momentum Tech had. Jordan is going to cover it in-depth in The Stampede. We feel it's Texas vs. OU.”

FULL OU 247 ARTICLE

Collin's Corner: Where I'm at on Smith Orogbo (6/30)

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

Spoiler

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

A big decision is just over the horizon. Smith Orogbo is set to make his decision on July 1st. He will choose between the Sooners, Texas Longhorns, Washington Huskies and Texas Tech Red Raiders. Orogbo will make his announcement at 3 p.m. CT, he tells 247Sports. One program out of the four remaining will win out for an elite prospect as Orogbo narrows things down from an offer sheet that features nearly 40 schools.

"I'm really blessed with these opportunities," Orogbo said. "Most people don't get this. It's been hectic, but it's something I'll never complain about. I never thought I'd be in this position, honestly. I thought I might get a couple offers, but never thought I'd get any big schools. It's still kind of crazy to me."

"How bad I'm wanted depth chart wise, how long the coaches are going to be there, the city it's in," Orogbo said as far as most important layers to his decision. "Those are the major factors."

As far as where things stand, this one remains relatively shrouded in mystery. Some shuffling has taken place over the last few days.

Earlier in the week, sources indicated there was a feeling that this was a battle between Texas Tech and Oklahoma for Orogbo. But now, as of about the middle of the week into the weekend, some felt this one shifted into another OU-Texas duel.

Orogbo is expected to come to some final call tonight. However, it's not out of the question that this one carries all the way into decision day.

Oklahoma has been the consistent presence inside that 'sourced top-two' over the last week or two. But the Sooners haven't necessarily been claimed the leader.

Could I see a world where Oklahoma is the choice? Sure. But right now I'd be slightly leaning towards Texas.

While I think Orogbo's family like Texas Tech the most, I think there's some draw around him to potentially take his career to a 'blueblood' program. I also have heard Washington mentioned in relation to Orogbo even over the last couple days, but I personally don't see Orogbo going that far from home.

The latest intel I've been able to gather, while certainly indicating Oklahoma remains towards the top, would have me at least thinking that Texas could be the pick. But again, Orogbo has not made it known where he's ending up and several behind the scenes are waiting to gather some sort of final say from the elite edge recruit.

Could this truly end up being one that's decided the day of? It has at least the feelings of it, but we'll see how this plays out over the final hours.

The following is the 247Sports scouting report on Orogbo. This courtesy of network national scouting analyst Gabe Brooks:

"Assembled a strong junior season in Fall 2023 to burst onto the recruiting scene. Entering senior season, stands a legitimate 6-foot-4 pushing 220 pounds with above average length that should provide sizable bulking capacity, hence the DL label (though could be considered an edge as well). Active three-point defender who's regularly in the backfield as a pass rusher and run defender alike. Knifes through gaps and creases. Shows some disengaging conviction against bigger blockers. Still growing into the frame, but periodically shows some promising redirecting suddenness. Closes fast, never fully gets out of a play because of athleticism/motor to work his way back in. Makes plays with both tools and motor. Displays consistent get-off quickness in a three-point stance and could also present a potentially dangerous standing edge presence. Still working on consistency in hands and leverage, as well as expanding pass rush move set. Quite an intriguing prospect who's relatively raw physically and technically, but flashes gifted athleticism and playmaking ability. Projects to the high-major level with traits that suggest an NFL Draft ceiling in the near future."

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

THE GIST

Sooner 247

“Could I see a world where Oklahoma is the choice? Sure. But right now I'd be slightly leaning towards Texas.”

“The latest intel I've been able to gather, while certainly indicating Oklahoma remains towards the top, would have me at least thinking that Texas could be the pick.”

Horns 247

“Texas as definitely kept it interesting and rebounded from the early month momentum Tech had. Jordan is going to cover it in-depth in The Stampede. We feel it's Texas vs. OU.”

FULL OU 247 ARTICLE

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

Reveal hidden contents

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

A big decision is just over the horizon. Smith Orogbo is set to make his decision on July 1st. He will choose between the Sooners, Texas Longhorns, Washington Huskies and Texas Tech Red Raiders. Orogbo will make his announcement at 3 p.m. CT, he tells 247Sports. One program out of the four remaining will win out for an elite prospect as Orogbo narrows things down from an offer sheet that features nearly 40 schools.

"I'm really blessed with these opportunities," Orogbo said. "Most people don't get this. It's been hectic, but it's something I'll never complain about. I never thought I'd be in this position, honestly. I thought I might get a couple offers, but never thought I'd get any big schools. It's still kind of crazy to me."

"How bad I'm wanted depth chart wise, how long the coaches are going to be there, the city it's in," Orogbo said as far as most important layers to his decision. "Those are the major factors."

As far as where things stand, this one remains relatively shrouded in mystery. Some shuffling has taken place over the last few days.

Earlier in the week, sources indicated there was a feeling that this was a battle between Texas Tech and Oklahoma for Orogbo. But now, as of about the middle of the week into the weekend, some felt this one shifted into another OU-Texas duel.

Orogbo is expected to come to some final call tonight. However, it's not out of the question that this one carries all the way into decision day.

Oklahoma has been the consistent presence inside that 'sourced top-two' over the last week or two. But the Sooners haven't necessarily been claimed the leader.

Could I see a world where Oklahoma is the choice? Sure. But right now I'd be slightly leaning towards Texas.

While I think Orogbo's family like Texas Tech the most, I think there's some draw around him to potentially take his career to a 'blueblood' program. I also have heard Washington mentioned in relation to Orogbo even over the last couple days, but I personally don't see Orogbo going that far from home.

The latest intel I've been able to gather, while certainly indicating Oklahoma remains towards the top, would have me at least thinking that Texas could be the pick. But again, Orogbo has not made it known where he's ending up and several behind the scenes are waiting to gather some sort of final say from the elite edge recruit.

Could this truly end up being one that's decided the day of? It has at least the feelings of it, but we'll see how this plays out over the final hours.

The following is the 247Sports scouting report on Orogbo. This courtesy of network national scouting analyst Gabe Brooks:

"Assembled a strong junior season in Fall 2023 to burst onto the recruiting scene. Entering senior season, stands a legitimate 6-foot-4 pushing 220 pounds with above average length that should provide sizable bulking capacity, hence the DL label (though could be considered an edge as well). Active three-point defender who's regularly in the backfield as a pass rusher and run defender alike. Knifes through gaps and creases. Shows some disengaging conviction against bigger blockers. Still growing into the frame, but periodically shows some promising redirecting suddenness. Closes fast, never fully gets out of a play because of athleticism/motor to work his way back in. Makes plays with both tools and motor. Displays consistent get-off quickness in a three-point stance and could also present a potentially dangerous standing edge presence. Still working on consistency in hands and leverage, as well as expanding pass rush move set. Quite an intriguing prospect who's relatively raw physically and technically, but flashes gifted athleticism and playmaking ability. Projects to the high-major level with traits that suggest an NFL Draft ceiling in the near future."

The Rock Eye Roll GIF

where have I heard this song 

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

THE GIST

Sooner 247

Horns 247

FULL OU 247 ARTICLE

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

Hide contents

Collin Kennedy (OU 247)

Sounds like an Oregon lock

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I swear some of you act like this team only exist of outgoing seniors and future recruits. Recruits of previous years are easily forgotten. Yes DT recruiting is a pain point. But after the last two recruiting classes I’m not sure why any other position is a major issue of concern. I don’t see any team stacking 5 stars on top of 5 stars anymore and if they do it’s likely a 1-2 year rental. As far as I’m concern there is always the portal and the next recruiting class to supplement misses in this one. 

People are worried about the DT room, because it is not a 1 year problem.. 

2021- Bryon Murphy (4 star GIles).. 

2022- Ross (4 star),  Bledsoe (4 star), Bryant (4 star). Swanson (3 star)

2023- Mitchell (3star)

2024- January (3 star), Hills (3 star)

That is the recruiting talent left on campus after this season. This is position that generally takes some time to develop. 2022 was a class to supplement to 2021. 2024 was supposed to supplement 2023. 2025 the goal was 4 DTs to supplement the 23/24 classes. Its fair to say DT recruiting has not been up to the standard of general team recruiting under Sark. There is a lot of pressure on Baker to develop at a high level, because Texas cant afford busts. . Texas took 3 DTs this year in the portal and it appears Texas is headed in down that path in 2025. Texas needs Bledsoe to make a major jump this year and get himself into the rotation (He maybe the biggest athletic freak on the team). I think Texas should be fine this year at DT, but relying on the portal to build a championship DL is tough. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2023- Mitchell (3star)

That is the recruiting talent left on campus after this season. This is position that generally takes some time to develop. 2022 was a class to supplement to 2021. 2024 was supposed to supplement 2023. 2025 the goal was 4 DTs to supplement the 23/24 classes. Its fair to say DT recruiting has not been up to the standard of general team recruiting under Sark. There is a lot of pressure on Baker to develop at a high level, because Texas cant afford busts. . Texas took 3 DTs this year in the portal and it appears Texas is headed in down that path in 2025. Texas needs Bledsoe to make a major jump this year and get himself into the rotation (He maybe the biggest athletic freak on the team). I think Texas should be fine this year at DT, but relying on the portal to build a championship DL is tough. 

I'm still confused by January's ranking. He's going to be really good IMO.

Also Sydir Mitchell was a 4 star. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm still confused by January's ranking. He's going to be really good IMO.

Also Sydir Mitchell was a 4 star. 

I used 247 and did this quickly. They had him as a 3 star with an 89 rating. I was just putting recent DT recruiting into perspective. As it has been an issue for awhile and it is not just a 2025 problem

Edited by Codaxx

On 6/29/2024 at 12:58 PM, cb866 said:

Y'all, all I was fucking saying was that I think fan expectations around our "death star" recruiting need to be tempered. Holy smokes just relax. I was blaming the $9.99ers for sunshine pumping, not the staff or admin. Some of our critics _can_ be right some of the time... we can tend to be arrogant with regard to comparison to other programs, and it is mostly due to a perceived endowment advantage. A little self-reflection is never bad.

For instance, just look at the (albeit funny/ironic) title of this thread "now we have a machine gun." While I happen to think it's an awesome idea, we're not Georgia or tOSU yet in recruiting. Believing we're going to become that over night is just silly.

Alright, now let's get back to whining about DTs. #hookem /nosatyanash

You are just flat out wrong on the NIL front. Texas doesn't lead with NIL and they bail on guys that make it about NIL exclusively in the process. There's a good reason for that and I think you will see why in the long run. 

On 6/29/2024 at 5:26 PM, DixonHur said:

It's not like it's been unexpected.  

All things being relatively equal, IE NIL, if you were a top DT, with no ties to the Longhorns, would you pick Texas this year, or would you pick a school with a DL coach with a known track record?  Kenny need to show he can develop linemen at the top level of college football.  If he can't, we'll need to find someone who can.  But if he's successful this season we'll be fine.

And, as much as it makes me sick to say it, if I were a top DB, there's no way I'd seriously consider Texas until Gideon and Joseph are gone.  

IMO, Sark's worst mistake this off season was retaining those two.

This has a lot more to do with the misses than anything else. Anyone who's expectations have been tempered on Kenny Baker lmao. At least we can hire a bunch of other coaches to actually coach the positions now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2023- Mitchell (3star)

Good thing we aren’t totally dependent on just the recruiting talent on campus. And with you acknowledging the position itself takes time to develop then why do you have angst getting developed talent for that position through the portal. Recruiting is a crapshoot and even if we recruited better numbers at the position in previous years there is no guarantee they’d pan out. And y’all love to exaggerate an issue to make a point. We aren’t using the portal to build our entire DL.

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

You are just flat out wrong on the NIL front. Texas doesn't lead with NIL and they bail on guys that make it about NIL exclusively in the process. There's a good reason for that and I think you will see why in the long run. 

This has a lot more to do with the misses than anything else. Anyone who's expectations have been tempered on Kenny Baker lmao. At least we can hire a bunch of other coaches to actually coach the positions now. 

I hope I am since I want to fucking win.

But honestly this seems like more arrogance. "We'll see 2 years down the line... as to why..." isn't a valuable answer.

ON SMITH-OROGBO

- Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247) leans Texas as of this morning; not a ton of confidence, but may change CB to Texas prior to announcement

- Collin Kennedy (OU 247) reiterated this morning that he leans towards Texas in this recruitment

- Both feel it’s a TX/OU battle

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cb866 said:

I hope I am since I want to fucking win.

But honestly this seems like more arrogance. "We'll see 2 years down the line... as to why..." isn't a valuable answer.

I've already seen it, but if you want to continue to put your head in the sand wait a few years on these "misses" and tell me what your verdict is. Kids who play because of NIL aren't the kids who will be the major contributors for national championship winning teams. 

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

ON SMITH-OROGBO

- Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247) leans Texas as of this morning; not a ton of confidence, but may change CB to Texas prior to announcement

- Collin Kennedy (OU 247) reiterated this morning that he leans towards Texas in this recruitment

- Both feel it’s a TX/OU battle

Sounds like Brendan Harris thinks he's a stone cold lock

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I've already seen it, but if you want to continue to put your head in the sand wait a few years on these "misses" and tell me what your verdict is. Kids who play because of NIL aren't the kids who will be the major contributors for national championship winning teams. 

Because so many teams have been winning championships lately without putting boat loads of money on the table...?

1 minute ago, cb866 said:

Because so many teams have been winning championships lately without putting boat loads of money on the table...?

That's only one component. You don't seem to be worth arguing with. You think Texas NIL is overstated and not actually the gold standard across the NCAA, because reasons and we don't just command players here and present them with a treasure trove of cash, cars, and sponsor deals. 

• Hook 'Em 1