Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We like the LBs from California more and are prioritizing them more than Pettijohn.

Perhaps you're in the know but that's not what i've taken away from the 995/surly "analysts". Sounds like we love him and have done everything to get him, aggie and bucks are selling something his camp likes. At same time yes, we would love to take the cali LB but he's been a silent to ND but Johny is swinging away.

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Perhaps you're in the know but that's not what i've taken away from the 995/surly "analysts". Sounds like we love him and have done everything to get him, aggie and bucks are selling something his camp likes. At same time yes, we would love to take the cali LB but he's been a silent to ND but Johny is swinging away.

I think CTJ referenced that if the coaches wanted Pettijohn, they could call him today and get him committed.

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I had this conversation with a buddy who is really, really handwringing right now about Moore to Oregon. If that dude wants to go play in Oregon for QB money, Texas can and likely will choose to match. Of Texas doesn’t do what is required to land Moore, you can knock me over with a feather. Sarkisian wants him worse than anyone else in the recruitment. Compare that to other situations and it tells a story, certainly. 

That’s depressing but also encouraging in one regard because it’s nothing structural financially. It’s just our approach to recruiting and prioritization. 

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We like the LBs from California more and are prioritizing them more than Pettijohn.

Well, this would be silly. Especially if it’s about Faraimo.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He doesn't like our depth chart. 

I think our LB room is healthy,  but it’s far from impenetrable.  But I guess depth chart could be about more than just his position.

Either way, sounds like somebody else’s negative recruiting got to him.

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Well, this would be silly. Especially if it’s about Faraimo.

I think our LB room is healthy,  but it’s far from impenetrable.  But I guess depth chart could be about more than just his position.

Faraimo is no fucking joke.  USC made their hay in the 2000s at linebacker with guys like that.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Faraimo is a beast.  I'd take Faraimo given the choice after watching both their tapes online.  With that said, not sure we can pry him away from ND.

I tend to agree. I was skeptical when i started hearing the whispers on Faraimo as a legit target, but the kid looks like he has the goods to be a great player. If we can make a real run at him, I would be totally happy with a class of him and Barnes. 

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, I don’t think our depth chart should be scaring anyone off.  There’s a high likelihood of attrition after the fall depending on whether Gullete or Lefau wins starter snaps and which would put a capable freshman in the two-deep.  

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

???

Pettijohn- 6' 1.5" and 215

Barnes-6'1" and 230

Faraimo - 6'3" to 230.. 

I was responding to the allusion that the size of 2000's era USC linebackers was a positive, but I looked it up and these are surprisingly more in line with the modern linebacker than I had thought. The skills that made them high draft picks were a little different, but the size is about the same. 

Draft measurables

• Lofa Tatupu: 5'11, 238 - 4.8 40yd
  • Keith Rivers: 6'2, 241 - 4.54 40yd
  • Brian Cushing: 6'2, 243 - 4.64 40yd
  • Clay Matthews: 6'2 240 - 4.67 40yd
  • Rey Maualuga: 6'1, 249 - 4.58 40yd

Faraimo is currently listed at 6'3, 225 on on3 and 230 on 247. Biggins scouting report had him at 215 in January. I'm no expert on the growing juvenile body, but he looks like a future DE to me.

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I was responding to the allusion that the size of 2000's era USC linebackers was a positive, but I looked it up and these are surprisingly more in line with the modern linebacker than I had thought. The skills that made them high draft picks were a little different, but the size is about the same. 

Draft measurables

Faraimo is currently listed at 6'3, 225 on on3 and 230 on 247. Biggins scouting report had him at 215 in January. I'm no expert on the growing juvenile body, but he looks like a future DE to me.

Really hard to make that guess without knowing his age or family tree. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Draft measurables

NFL size is pretty stagnant at most positions over the last 20 years outside of maybe CB height average and OL weight average. I’d probably throw in WR height too

Hell yeah.  I didn't realize Orogbo was ranked that high. Our Edge/DE position has gone from biggest weakness on the team to arguably the best in the country.

Also, HUDLs below from Faraimo and Pettijohn.  Quick thoughts... Pettijohn looks like he will need to add some weight but looks good in coverage and is athletic as hell.  Not much film of him shedding blocks.  Faraimo's highhlights are from his first 5 games last year.  Dude looks like a stud.  Not much film in coverage either but he looks like he could bust some heads right now at the college level.  Physical, fast, and great instincts.  Honestly, I would be happy with either of them.  Pettijohn trending away and Faraimo has been rumored to be a ND silent so decent chance neither ends up a longhorn.

Faraimo

http://www.hudl.com/v/2LjWWb

Pettijohn

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/15320534/6501c332a0238a035cd43fb4

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Where did any of what I said say Texas isn't paying out NIL, and at levels that are rivaled by very few in the NCAA? 

You guys are saying because we don't money whip these players who are just doing straight auctions or maybe they just didn't fit. That Texas NIL isn't the gold standard and that's just horseshit and wrong. 

What I was saying is that I understand that we are looking for guys who aren’t in it just for the money. However, the system actually makes recruits become - just in it for the money. If Oregon wants to offer a prospect $1M, he is going to go to Oregon. So say you have a guy who wants to be developed the best and Oregon offers $1M but does a shitty job developing. Guess what - the guy got money whipped. The lack of a system is set up for this. So if Auburn or Oregon or A&M or OU wants to overpay the most scrupulous guy in the world, they are going to get him. This may not be true for everyone right now - take Manning for example - however, as time goes on it will become more of a job and less of a career path.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Hell yeah.  I didn't realize Orogbo was ranked that high. Our Edge/DE position has gone from biggest weakness on the team to arguably the best in the country.

Also, HUDLs below from Faraimo and Pettijohn.  Quick thoughts... Pettijohn looks like he will need to add some weight but looks good in coverage and is athletic as hell.  Not much film of him shedding blocks.  Faraimo's highhlights are from his first 5 games last year.  Dude looks like a stud.  Not much film in coverage either but he looks like he could bust some heads right now at the college level.  Physical, fast, and great instincts.  Honestly, I would be happy with either of them.  Pettijohn trending away and Faraimo has been rumored to be a ND silent so decent chance neither ends up a longhorn.

Faraimo

http://www.hudl.com/v/2LjWWb

Pettijohn

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/15320534/6501c332a0238a035cd43fb4

Arguably doing a lot of work there. Still, light years from where we were recently.