Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

What I was saying is that I understand that we are looking for guys who aren’t in it just for the money. However, the system actually makes recruits become - just in it for the money. If Oregon wants to offer a prospect $1M, he is going to go to Oregon. So say you have a guy who wants to be developed the best and Oregon offers $1M but does a shitty job developing. Guess what - the guy got money whipped. The lack of a system is set up for this. So if Auburn or Oregon or A&M or OU wants to overpay the most scrupulous guy in the world, they are going to get him. This may not be true for everyone right now - take Manning for example - however, as time goes on it will become more of a job and less of a career path.

I can hear an audible "whoosh" going over your head.  That's not what he's saying.  This is coming from 2 of the fucking guys that helped figure out NIL for all of college football.

To be frank - we worked our balls off to set the baseline for a sustainable NIL organization that would set Texas sports, in its entirety, for long term success.   The shine is going to fade on this "money-whipping" behavior as time goes on because these are real people funding this.  This is a passion project for 99.99% of them.  

Texas is doing this the right way, with the right people involved.  Thinking about 1 or 2 players in any sport, here and there is the definition of myopic. 

EDIT:  To further emphasize the point - throw your nuts or your checkbook on the table like we did.  Otherwise, don't weigh in if you don't want to wrestle.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I can hear an audible "whoosh" going over your head.  That's not what he's saying.  This is coming from 2 of the fucking guys that helped figure out NIL for all of college football.

To be frank - we worked our balls off to set the baseline for a sustainable NIL organization that would set Texas sports, in its entirety, for long term success.   The shine is going to fade on this "money-whipping" behavior as time goes on because these are real people funding this.  This is a passion project for 99.99% of them.  

Texas is doing this the right way, with the right people involved.  Thinking about 1 or 2 players in any sport, here and there is the definition of myopic. 

EDIT:  To further emphasize the point - throw your nuts or your checkbook on the table like we did.  Otherwise, don't weigh in if you don't want to wrestle.

The difference is in the definition of money whipping. Offering more money than anyone else is money whipping whether it is Texas or Oregon or A&M or Auburn or Oklahoma. And by this definition, I don’t see why money whipping will disappear. All most schools need is someone to organize a system that works for individual and corporate donors. We’ve created a system that is sustainable and it was hard to be a pioneer. It will be less difficult to follow working blueprints.

We may be a winner in the system but I don’t see the poors such as Alabama and LSU giving up on fund raising for football. They want to remain relevant just like everyone else. You may not see it, but the money going to football recruits isn’t going to dry up. It is going to continue to grow.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

The difference is in the definition of money whipping. Offering more money than anyone else is money whipping whether it is Texas or Oregon or A&M or Auburn or Oklahoma. And by this definition, I don’t see why money whipping will disappear. All most schools need is someone to organize a system that works for individual and corporate donors. We’ve created a system that is sustainable and it was hard to be a pioneer. It will be less difficult to follow working blueprints.

We may be a winner in the system but I don’t see the poors such as Alabama and LSU giving up on fund raising for football. They want to remain relevant just like everyone else. You may not see it, but the money going to football recruits isn’t going to dry up. It is going to continue to grow.

You are grossly over simplifying the effort it took to get the Texas NIL program off the ground to where it is. Again - this takes a lot of people willing to put in the time and a lot of folks with "fuck you" money to spend on making sure Texas is where it should be after playing things above board while these other fucks didn't.  To boot - you're using LSU and Bama as a potential fast followers?  

Are you fucking new here?  LSU had to steal money from a children's hospital and is borderline bankrupt.   Alabama is having to do the "Saban was good and got a bunch of guys drafted, so you should take less money from the new guy" schtick.   You really think those back water fucks are going to be able to keep up?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Gerry saying Brandon Brown will make his final decision on the 4th..

if he chooses us, he's doing it on his own.. Family is LSU, says ou also has a shot.  

Think he said this was coming from a person close to his recruitment..maybe someone in Browns circle.

If we lose him to either of those cocksuckers it won’t be because of funds.  Both are broke as shit.

Timelines and intel from IT

Spoiler

Summer, summer, summer, summertime.

Hopefully it’s closing time but it’s clear there’s going to be some continued adversity on the recruiting trail for Texas. They’ll work through it; it will be a strong, strong class. There will be a point where Texas’ momentum is a complete 180 from right now. But for now, they need to try and stop the bleeding.

Kaleb Edwards, TE, El Dorado Hills (Calif.) Oak Ridge

Timeline: July 2

Suitors: Alabama, Oregon, Texas

Intel: I love the kid and if Texas can’t get him we want him at Alabama to help with Nick Townsend. I do believe Bama will be the pick today.

Marco Jones, Edge, Danville (Calif.) San Ramon Valley

Date: July 2

Suitors: Michigan, Texas A&M, Texas

Intel: The Aggies seem to have confidence. Jones isn’t giving us any positive indications.

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas)

Date: July 4

Suitors: LSU, Texas, Texas A&M

Intel: Texas will need to play the long game and get him to use his official visit this fall.

Kade Philips, S, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Hightower

Timeline: July 4 or July 6

Suitors: Texas, LSU

Intel: Texas looks good here and has for a while.

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas)

Timeline: July or August

Suitors: Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M

Intel: Who wants him more, Ohio State or Texas? Ohio State just outbid Oregon for a defensive tackle…

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas)

Timeline: July 8

Suitors: A&M, Texas

Intel: I still lean towards the Aggies due to playing time. All things being equal he’d be a Longhorn.

Nick Townsend, TE, Spring (Texas) Dekaney

Date: July 10

Suitors: Texas, Alabama, USC, A&M

Intel: I posted on July 1 that Texas leads. A source put UT’s chances at 60%. I think it’ll be higher after Kaleb Edwards picks Alabama.

Tanook Hines, WR, Spring (Texas) Dekaney

Date: July 10

Suitors: Notre Dame, USC

Intel: He’s paying close attention to USC’s class falling apart. Could the Trojans lose Julian Lewis to Auburn? I like Notre Dame.

Daylan McCutcheon, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

Timeline: July 13

Suitors: Florida State, Texas, Ohio State

Madden Faraimo, LB, San Diego (Calif.) J Serra Catholic

Timeline: July

Suitors: Notre Dame, Texas, USC

Intel: Texas blew him away on the visit, in particular he loved the S&C program, including amount of coaches and technology. However, USC is trying to pick up slack in this recruitment. Had they not dropped the ball on him he would have been a Trojan. This one is a tossup and it may include three teams rather than two.

Nathan Tilmon, S, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview – SMU

Suitors: Texas, SMU, Texas Tech

Intel: Texas is the team to beat and he is a take.

DJ Sanders, DL, Bellville (Texas)

Suitors: Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M

Intel: I messaged with his mother yesterday to see if they had a firm date to announce yet. There’s nothing new in that department.

Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse (Texas)

Timeline: August 7

Suitors: Texas, A&M, Florida State, LSU, Alabama

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas)

Date: On or before August 13

Suitors: Texas, Oregon, Ohio State

Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin

Date: August 30

Suitors: Texas, LSU, Tennessee, Ohio State

Michael Terry, WR/TE, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights

Timeline: Before the season

Suitors: Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Texas Tech

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas)

Timeline: August

Suitors: Texas, OU, A&M, Missouri

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite (Texas) Horn

Timeline: August

Suitors: A&M, Missouri, Texas

Intel: Texas could still probably steal him if need be but Fasusi is the priority.

Jonathan Cunningham, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

Timeline: August, before the season

Suitors: Texas, TCU, Utah, Kansas, Missouri

Intel: Texas is pushing pretty hard here.

Nick Brooks, OL, Cedar Rapids (Iowa) John F. Kennedy

Date: Could be anytime 

Suitors: Georgia, Texas, USC

Intel: Probably a coin flip between Texas and Georgia.

Aidan Anding, CB, Ruston (La.)

Timeline: Unknown

Suitors: LSU, Texas

Intel: Man, this recruitment, like Josiah Sharma’s, was locked in, however there was some last minute uneasiness and Anding was going to push his decision back even before the LSU offer.

Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball

Timeline: When it feels right

Suitors: Oregon, LSU, A&M, USC, Texas

Intel: I have yet to hear anything about the potential ramifications of Texas Baseball hiring Jim Schlossnagle.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

If we lose him to either of those cocksuckers it won’t be because of funds.  Both are broke as shit.

Are either of them still playing the money to family members game?  Or any other old tricks, and so those still have any impact? I guess I’m wondering aloud. 

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Gerry saying Brandon Brown will make his final decision on the 4th..

if he chooses us, he's doing it on his own.. Family is LSU, says ou also has a shot.  

Think he said this was coming from a person close to his recruitment..maybe someone in Browns circle.

On this same thread on OTF started by Gerry, Bobby Burton chimed in that he doesn't expect UT to be the pick

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 7

15 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I actually like what I read about Kenny Baker when we hired him. I think he'll do great here and the recruiting will catch up. They'll flip who they need to or make some nice late evals to close this cycle.

Hope is not a strategy. I’ll be crossing my fingers too, since that’s all we have at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I should have said People felt like Bo Davis wasn't pulling his weight recruiting the D-Line. 

Was he pulling his weight? I can't think of a coach that's brought in less talent to their room since Sark has taken over, especially given his skins on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 1

Defensive recruiting is not in the same level as offensive recruiting this year.

We need to bring in Faraimo or Pettijohn. They would bring the linebacker class from good to great.

Without Anding our db class will be below average. And Anding is far from a shoe-in. 

Our DT class is bare.

Our Edge class will be great.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Defensive recruiting is not in the same level as offensive recruiting this year.

We need to bring in Faraimo or Pettijohn. They would bring the linebacker class from good to great.

Without Anding our db class will be below average. And Anding is far from a shoe-in. 

Our DT class is bare.

Our Edge class will be great.

I posted something similar yesterday, positionally on the defense.

Edge is great. LB is good with Barnes and Cunningham, could be bumped up if the right third piece is added. CB is meh with Chester + ?. Safety with Phillips and Tilmon is somewhere between average to good. I really like Phillips.

It's really DT as the primary (only) problem.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I posted something similar yesterday, positionally on the defense.

Edge is great. LB is good with Barnes and Cunningham, could be bumped up if the right third piece is added. CB is meh with Chester + ?. Safety with Phillips and Tilmon is somewhere between average to good. I really like Phillips.

It's really DT as the primary (only) problem.

DB recruiting was going to be tough this year after last year’s class with multiple 5/high 4 stars.

Just now, Vertigo said:

DB recruiting was going to be tough this year after last year’s class with multiple 5/high 4 stars.

Correct, but that doesn't stop Georgia, Ohio State and Bama from loading up yearly at those spots.

I think we will end up fine at DB, but it doesn't have the wow factor of some previous classes. Maybe a little like the 2023 OL class after we hit the grand slam in 2022 on the OL.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct, but that doesn't stop Georgia, Ohio State and Bama from loading up yearly at those spots.

I think we will end up fine at DB, but it doesn't have the wow factor of some previous classes. Maybe a little like the 2023 OL class after we hit the grand slam in 2022 on the OL.

Exactly. 

14 minutes ago, hook me said:

Was he pulling his weight? I can't think of a coach that's brought in less talent to their room since Sark has taken over, especially given his skins on the wall.

If our current DT strategy is the same strategy we had under Bo, then it likely wasn’t all his fault.

If you aren’t going to commit a bunch of NIL money to DT then you definitely should be recruiting backup plans better. Our strategy at the position makes no sense. One of the backup guys we didn’t really bother to recruit much, Chace Simms, just committed to aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1