Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Nerf Gun

texifornia

So just random tidbits from different podcasts and live videos.  Hank South from 24/7 seems pretty confident Pettijohn is going to pick USC.  I also wouldn't be surprised if we have Faraimo ahead on our board with how much Gerry and company have been hyping him up.  Fasusi looks like he's trending to ou and seems like from posters here and Gerry that he seems to have enjoyed the partying part in Norman a bit too much.  Maybe the staff feels Rogers would be a better fit and would take football more seriously?  Who knows but getting Rogers would be a great addition and adding Brooks would make this maybe the best OL class in the country.  Flood continues to keep that room stocked.  Oh and I guess everyone expects Brandon Brown to flip tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

SIAP, but does Norton, Savea, or Lole have any eligibility left after this year?

Don’t think so.

Lole was in the class of 2018 and has already used his Covid year, RS year and medical redshirt. Norton will be playing his 6th season this year. 

Savea has only played 3 seasons, but he started in 21 so no Covid year, and his UCLA bio says he played 10 games his freshman year, so that can’t count as a RS. This will be his final year, unless he gets hurt and counts 2024 as a RS or medical RS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

There was an 8 figure outflow of NIL the preceding 12 months. The coaches aren't doing stupid shit because they have money in the bank. Baseball is a great example of doing stupid shit with NIL money and getting bad results. Football is a great example of what to do with NIL for great results. 

This narrative about DT being a huge issue is largely predicated on losing 2 high NFL draft picks that played the primary roles at that position, not because some 18 year olds aren't coming here. There are very good DT on the roster and no one was in here bitching about how shitty the DT looked in the spring game, especially with the new edge rush. As much as the handwringing brings views and whatnot it's time to just wait and assess what we've got going on instead of creating insane doom stories about how we are fucked because we have no DT. 

What did baseball do?

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I *think* he was convicted. That should be probably be fact checked. I know he was arrested for it, and not that long after leaving Texas, if memory serves. 

With a quick search i dont see much other than the arrest. I've just heard my uncle tell me what that guy was going to be since the injury happened. To hear him tell it we missed on Suh and Hamptons love child.

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Shitty. I wonder if our entertaining Madden caused it, or is a result of him trending away? Either way I hope its USC and not ATM. At least he can go to USC and not get developed and won't affect us in our conference. 

Pettijohn got a USC pick a few days ago on Rivals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Borderline 5 star DE Lance Jackson.  Top 100 and borderline 5 star Edge Orogbo.  Top 150 prospect and top in-state LB Elijah Barnes.  About to land top 150 level safety Kade Phillips.  All blue chips prospects after picking up blue chip dudes in Collins, Black, Filsame, January, Mack last year... I'm sure I'm missing other players.  Texas is landing damn good players but missing on DT, the biggest position of need seems to be what has everyone up in arms.  

People the industry believe that Barnes will end op being top ranked LB in the state

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

*whispering very quietly* I think Rogers’ tape is better than Fasusi’s

No idea the validity but it's been mentioned a few times that getting Fasusi and Turntine (top OT in 2026) would be extremely tough. And we seem to be a really good early spot for Turntine.  

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I *think* he was convicted. That should be probably be fact checked. I know he was arrested for it, and not that long after leaving Texas, if memory serves. 

He was released on a 25k bond and then the only other thing I find is 16 months later he was signed by the Odessa indoor fball team. Then a mention of him in the nfl supplemental draft of 09. Assuming Marco is real name nothing on sex registry or Dallas criminal record. 
kinda shitty to still be running his name through that accusation unless in fact there’s record of admission/conviction

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No idea the validity but it's been mentioned a few times that getting Fasusi and Turntine (top OT in 2026) would be extremely tough. And we seem to be a really good early spot for Turntine.  

Good, we'll take Turntine and someone else can deal with teaching Fasusi to love fb

I think people can be concerned about the direction of recruiting on the defense, especially the interior DL. That doesn't mean they're pissing their pants. The direction is clearly not as good as we expected and pretending otherwise is just as stupid as pretending the sky is falling. It's barely July and there's still plenty of time. We've landed some good prospects. But the last couple of weeks have had more downs than ups. 

I get that some people are perpetually negative and they're annoying to have around. But don't go lumping reasonable people in with them. I've seen some posts in the last few weeks that border on late-stage Mack "trust the corchers" bullshit. 

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I think people can be concerned about the direction of recruiting on the defense, especially the interior DL. That doesn't mean they're pissing their pants. The direction is clearly not as good as we expected and pretending otherwise is just as stupid as pretending the sky is falling. It's barely July and there's still plenty of time. We've landed some good prospects. But the last couple of weeks have had more downs than ups. 

I get that some people are perpetually negative and they're annoying to have around. But don't go lumping reasonable people in with them. I've seen some posts in the last few weeks that border on late-stage Mack "trust the corchers" bullshit. 

tenor.gif

I'm concerned about the recruiting of DT. But I'm obviously not pissing my pants. And it's obvious that quite a few people are absolutely pissing their pants. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, bluto said:

He was released on a 25k bond and then the only other thing I find is 16 months later he was signed by the Odessa indoor fball team. Then a mention of him in the nfl supplemental draft of 09. Assuming Marco is real name nothing on sex registry or Dallas criminal record. 
kinda shitty to still be running his name through that accusation unless in fact there’s record of admission/conviction

I don't know the story, but just reiterating this, he's not listed in the Texas sex offender registry or the DoJ national sex offender registry.

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

tenor.gif

Scully is smokin' hot....makes me forget about DT recruiting

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Every fucking year its the same story, the narrative about some perceived weakness on the team is parroted by the 9.95ers and the usual chicken littles are up in arms about all these recruits we're missing out on, from OL to LB to DE to CB to WR and now DT. The same fucking people saying we were doomed on the DL last year because we only had a bunch of jags and Bo couldn't recruit are now lamenting the loss of Sweat and Murphy because it definitely means we're gonna suck now. It must be so exhausting but I imagine even during the Saban days people would whine about losing some recruit to LSU or Georgia. Stop constructing Madden or NCAA 14 rosters in your mind and take a look at our fucking roster right now. Maybe you'll realize we have it pretty damn good, shit look at the QB room you know the most important position in all of football. Or keep bitching about how obviously Texas doesn't have supreme NIL and why oh why can't we just money whip these recruits to boost our rankings

I’m not reading anything this long in the recruiting thread from a Cloak Room regular. He’s hiding subversive messages in there somewhere. 

• Haha 1

JORDAN SCRUGGS (HORNS 247)

Re: Michael Terry
- Know y'all are worried about Oregon but I really like my crystal ball in favor of Texas to land Terry.

- Not in the bag yet but Texas has their bases covered well in this one. Also they've just done a great job top to bottom in making MT3 feel like a priority. 6 staffers from Texas reached out to Terry yesterday via seperate phone calls: Sark, Choice, Milwee, Chris Gilbert, Brandon Harris, and an analyst who's name I'm blanking on. I view Dakorien Moore as the No. 1 target across the board, but Terry is receiving prioritization that feels similar to the Colin Simmons recruitment last summer. Not sure if he's viewed as high in Texas' eyes as Simmons was, but the staff has been making it very clear how bad they want him since the start of the summer and it's been a group effort as well. When Texas puts this much effort and work into recruitments they tend to win the large majority of them so that paired with other factors of the recruitment that help Texas' chances has me feeling pretty good about the Longhorns winning come decision time in August.

Re: Lamont Rogers

- Just spoke with the same source again who still thinks Rogers' announcement on Saturday won't be for Texas, however, a flip in the months leading up to early signing day seems more likely than I had previously thought. Still going to be tracking this throughout the next few days but most folks I've talked to in the past day or two don't see Texas as the hat being selected on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Getafix said:

JORDAN SCRUGGS (HORNS 247)

Re: Michael Terry
- Know y'all are worried about Oregon but I really like my crystal ball in favor of Texas to land Terry.

- Not in the bag yet but Texas has their bases covered well in this one. Also they've just done a great job top to bottom in making MT3 feel like a priority. 6 staffers from Texas reached out to Terry yesterday via seperate phone calls: Sark, Choice, Milwee, Chris Gilbert, Brandon Harris, and an analyst who's name I'm blanking on. I view Dakorien Moore as the No. 1 target across the board, but Terry is receiving prioritization that feels similar to the Colin Simmons recruitment last summer. Not sure if he's viewed as high in Texas' eyes as Simmons was, but the staff has been making it very clear how bad they want him since the start of the summer and it's been a group effort as well. When Texas puts this much effort and work into recruitments they tend to win the large majority of them so that paired with other factors of the recruitment that help Texas' chances has me feeling pretty good about the Longhorns winning come decision time in August.

Re: Lamont Rogers

- Just spoke with the same source again who still thinks Rogers' announcement on Saturday won't be for Texas, however, a flip in the months leading up to early signing day seems more likely than I had previously thought. Still going to be tracking this throughout the next few days but most folks I've talked to in the past day or two don't see Texas as the hat being selected on Saturday.

We need a "Fuck yeah but also goddammit" emoji on here

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Nerf Gun