Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Nerf Gun

texifornia

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Are you sure about that?? 

Lets call it 12 games.. 

Texas will have 6 homes that family can drive to.. 

Oregon has 6 home games, that the family needs to fly to.. 

Texas will have away games that are the family could drive to (LSU, OU, and A&M)

Oregon will will not. 

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the players’ travel.  

How many people want to bet that guaranteed airfare and hotels for family was a big selling point for him? (Based on the tweets earlier about aviation) he just won’t realize that it’s still not the same (as in being far away from family). Coming from someone that went to New York City from Kansas. Can fly your parents out every weekend during the season but it’s still not the same. You realize your family is bigger than just your immediate/blood ones…

What are the chances for Texas football and its other 5-star WR targets after Dakorien Moore to Oregon

Hank South (Horns 247)

(Spoilers - 

Ffrench will announce a decision on Aug. 30 between Texas, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, and Tennessee. 

My Crystal Ball prediction is in on the Longhorns. 

Percentage chances Ffrench ends up at Texas: 60 percent

Percentage chances Lockett ends up at Texas: 70 percent)

Spoiler

What are the chances for Texas football and its other 5-star WR targets after Dakorien Moore to Oregon

Hank South (Horns 247)

Texas football missed on five-star wide receiver Dakorien Moore on Thursday night. The No. 1 wideout in the country from Duncanville High School picked Oregon over the Longhorns and others. 

Missing on Moore comes in an era Texas football is starting to churn out NFL talent at the wide receiver position that Longhorn fans were accustomed to in decades past. 

Moore wasn't the only five-star wide receiver the Longhorns are in on for the class of 2025, a loaded cycle at the position. There are two others Steve Sarkisian, Kyle Flood, and Chris Jackson have set their sights on in Jaime Ffrench and Kaliq Lockett.

A wide receiver haul that includes commitments from Ffrench and Lockett would be the envy of almost any other program in the country. 

So what are the chances of that actually happening?

Let's take a look.

Jaime Ffrench, 5-star WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin

Ffrench, a one-time Alabama commit, earned an offer from Texas back in January, later than most programs came in for him. No matter, the Longhorns got Ffrench on campus April 6 and immediately shot up into his top three with Ohio State and Tennessee. 

"Man, like I said, the people and definitely Coach Sark," he told Horns247 of what he liked best about his first visit to Austin. "His offense. The way he sits down, he's a family type of person. I love that. He's always going to make sure you feel the love. I like that for sure. …

"Texas is no doubt top three now. They weren't before I came. They're definitely top three now for sure. I'd say just getting out and seeing it for myself. The campus, the people, the football, the practice, man, they love it here. It something I could fit in well. Football is a very big deal here and that's my deal."

Ffrench was back on campus for his official visit June 21-23. 

"Man I really loved it man, they really just showed me around even more, you know, I've only been here once but now being twice," the Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin star told Horns247 after leaving campus. "So really loving that and just showing me why I need to come here to Austin, Texas for sure."

Ffrench will announce a decision on Aug. 30 between Texas, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, and Tennessee. 

My Crystal Ball prediction is in on the Longhorns. 

Percentage chances Ffrench ends up at Texas: 60 percent

Kaliq Lockett, 5-star WR, Sachse

Lockett, too, officially visited Texas June 21-23. Like Ffrench, who he was on the April 6 visit to Austin with, Lockett is enamored with the Longhorns.

"Going back to me and Coach Jackson's relationship, when he was back in Jacksonville, he was coaching the best of the best at wide receiver," Lockett said of what has Texas in the mix. "With him having guys in the wide receiver room like Ryan Wingo, Isaiah Bond, Johntay Cook II, DeAndre Moore Jr.. The list goes on. Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that receiver room and get developed by one of the best receiver coaches in college football."

Texas football has some fierce competition for Lockett who's being heavily recruited by many, with Alabama and Florida State widely considered the top competition. 

The in-state pass catcher is set to announce a decision on Aug. 7. And while Lockett was a top target regardless of Dakorien Moore's decision, you have to think Texas sits in better position today than it did yesterday for talented wideout. 

Percentage chances Lockett ends up at Texas: 70 percent

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

So on Moore, did we match the $$$ or not? Because I’ve seen some people in the know say we did, and other people in the know imply we didn’t.

Sounds like Moore went on the market with an initial asking price, which we met.  Then Oregon came in like a California home buyer and made an all cash offer well over asking.  And we didn’t match that (the $1.3M figure).

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:
So on Moore, did we match the $$$ or not? Because I’ve seen some people in the know say we did, and other people in the know imply we didn’t.

Bobby on stream 45 mind ago said it wasn't about money. Insert J.Law.gif

It’s always about money imo. There’s a number a kid won’t say no to. Now buying players didn’t work well for A&M but that’s not going to stop schools with the $$$ from trying to buy a championship.  

Just scrolled 4 pages of this mockery of a thread. Have avoided what I am sure will be 3-4 brutal phone conversations when I return those calls. Just can’t hear any more about the state of incompetence and bizarre shit coming from Belmont right now. You people are making me healthy. I think I’m going to go play MLB 2024 for a while until my wife makes me rejoin adulthood, hopefully with a Manhattan she’s made, this evening. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Just scrolled 4 pages of this mockery of a thread. Have avoided what I am sure will be 3-4 brutal phone conversations when I return those calls. Just can’t hear any more about the state of incompetence and bizarre shit coming from Belmont right now. You people are making me healthy. I think I’m going to go play MLB 2024 for a while until my wife makes me rejoin adulthood, hopefully with a Manhattan she’s made, this evening. 

Pics of wife? 

tell us more about the bizarre shit please.  

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Currently the 23rd ranked class.  Behind SMU, TCU and...  Rutgers.  

It's interesting the difference in On3, 247 and Rivals when calculating rankings.

I personally like On3's system, which only factors your top 14-15 commits in their overall scoring, so it doesn't reward teams who oversign. Texas is currently 16th.

247 rewards teams who sign a lot of guys, which is how you get Rutgers with the 14th-ranked class with 29 commitments in early July. Texas is currently 23rd.

Not even sure what Rivals does but I'm sure it's stupid and makes no sense. Texas is currently 37th.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I haven't followed 2025 recruiting closely so can someone give me a serious summary of why this class is off to such a shitty start despite the best season in a decade? Was Glasscock that important? Has Sark lost his mind all of a sudden?

They have heavily prioritized a bunch of  national recruiting battles without the organization and presentation to justify it.  Outrecruited on the elite guys while not keeping secondary options warm.  Arrogance.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So losing that guy to Ole Miss and conducting a 26 second search for his replacement is coming back to bite us? 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

The portal allows for a "second chance" if you fuck up the HS recruiting. We struck out with the DT HS prospects this time, so thats where the recruiting efforts will be focused on when an experienced DT enters the portal.

We have failed high school recruiting for three straight years at the position that has the least amount of viable options in the transfer portal. If you fuck up recruiting, fuck up QB, RB or WR. Teams can rebuild those every year if they wanted to. We just happen to fuck the dog in recruiting at the one position that is very difficult to address in the portal. 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We have failed high school recruiting for three straight years at the position that has the least amount of viable options in the transfer portal. If you fuck up recruiting, fuck up QB, RB or WR. Teams can rebuild those every year if they wanted to. We just happen to fuck the dog in recruiting at the one position that is very difficult to address in the portal. 

Pretty damn important that Alex January is a hit and flashes early. Would be cool if Bryant and/or Bledsoe decided to turn the corner too from the 2022 class.

The 2022 DT haul was not seen as anywhere close to a failure at the time. Ross, Bryant, Bledsoe, Swanson. Swanson was probably the only one questioned at the time when we took his commitment. 

The decision to only take Sydir Mitchell in 2023 is where things started going sideways. They passed on multiple guys in that class or would have crawled over broken glass to commit to Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This sounds like the Tom Herman days. What’s going on?

15 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The portal allows for a "second chance" if you fuck up the HS recruiting. We struck out with the DT HS prospects this time, so thats where the recruiting efforts will be focused on when an experienced DT enters the portal.

In terms of transfer help for the following season, aren't we by rule limited to non-SEC programs? That obviously still leaves a ton of schools but eliminates some of those most likely to have major talent stuck behind elite starters. I guess we can still try to raid the B10, B12 and ACC.