Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Nike has (had?) 83,000 employees globally. So… yeah

Thousands of which are working the textile factory lines in China, Indonesia, and Vietnam. This outsourcing allows companies like Nike to pad their upper management roster instead of passing the slavings down to the consumer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thousands of which are working the textile factory lines in China, Indonesia, and Vietnam. This outsourcing allows companies like Nike to pad their upper management roster instead of passing the slavings down to the consumer. 

Negged. 

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sooooo, uhhhhh, what did I miss that I should be irrationally angry about? 

I agree with this sentiment overall. We went big game hunting and had more losses than we were accustomed. There were unnecessary self-inflicted issues in certain recruitments but I have more confidence that they will be worked out with this staff than any time in my Texas football memory.

My pontificating is more on the peripheral of things. I'm obviously not an insider although I could talk to people who are if I cared. So, I'll wonder if our shitty DB recruiting is because our corners coach has stopped putting in the effort or if Baker was a mistake vs. hiring a well connected coach such as Nansen. Or what kind of tangible difference a GM like Glasscock would make on individual recruits. I'm not too worried about the big picture. The big picture will be pretty much determined by our success in the first year of the SEC, especially compared to LSU, A&M, Arkansas, OU, and Alabama. If we are successful, it will be much easier to keep the top in-state recruits.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sooooo, uhhhhh, what did I miss that I should be irrationally angry about? 

Gerry seems to think Johnson and Lockett are leaning towards a&m and Ffrench will be taking a visit to Georgia at the end of the month. If you’re looking to be irrationally angry, you could say there’s a possibility of going 0-4 on the top WR targets after going 0-4 on the top DT targets. 

• Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, TXRed said:

Gerry seems to think Johnson and Lockett are leaning towards a&m and Ffrench will be taking a visit to Georgia at the end of the month. If you’re looking to be irrationally angry, you could say there’s a possibility of going 0-4 on the top WR targets after going 0-4 on the top DT targets. 

Wide receivers are much easier to acquire than DTs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXRed said:

If you’re looking to be irrationally angry, you could say there’s a possibility of going 0-4 on the top WR targets after going 0-4 on the top DT targets. 

If - heaven forbid - that happened, would that really be irrational? 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So, I'll wonder if our shitty DB recruiting is because our corners coach has stopped putting in the effort

Chester and Phillips is a nice floor for the DB class. Phillips is a top 65 kid in the country for On3. Interestingly I think Gideon put in more work for both than Joseph did.

LSU jumping in at the 11th hour to steal Anding was a tough break. I never seriously thought Texas was getting Brew after they couldn't even get him in for weekend OV. 

DB is pretty low on this cycle's concern list, especially after the DB class that was brought in last year. They really just need to add one more solid piece to pair with the two mentioned above.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

What do you think has changed with Sark? It seemed like he had this process well in hand the last few years. Does he just not trust the other coaches besides Banks? Tashard Choice has certainly proven himself, and Flood has done pretty well too. 

Nothing has changed. A few kids decided to go elsewhere in July which is the exact same thing that happened last year. That's all. 

Step away from football, stop worrying about recruiting, and get refreshed for the next 50 days or so for the season. We have one of the most talented rosters in the game and a top 5 QB. 

In December it'll be another top 6 class. Michigan just won the NC with maybe 1 or even 0 top 6 classes. It's about development with the level of talent Sark is bringing in. 

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Chester and Phillips is a nice floor for the DB class. Phillips is a top 65 kid in the country for On3. Interestingly I think Gideon put in more work for both than Joseph did.

LSU jumping in at the 11th hour to steal Anding was a tough break. I never seriously thought Texas was getting Brew after they couldn't even get him in for weekend OV. 

DB is pretty low on this cycle's concern list, especially after the DB class that was brought in last year. They really just need to add one more solid piece to pair with the two mentioned above.

Phillips doesn't seem like a corner to me. And Anding was wavering some even before the LSU offer. Meanwhile, there are few backup plans. And while we won't see an impact next year, we will probably see one. It wasn't like we had tons of depth as it was.

Scipio said in a video that 70 percent of 4 and 5 star DT recruits end up being busts. Not sure what definition of bust he's using but if that's even close to accurate don't worry about DT recruiting other than getting in numbers. He suggested taking a lot of high 3 star or low 4 star big framed DEs who have quickness for their size but not Colin Simmons burst therefore get rated low as HS DE prospects. Let those kids grow into DTs over 2-3 years. 

I've been saying that for a while. DTs are made not bought. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

And Anding was wavering some even before the LSU offer.

The guy had a July 1st commitment date and LSU offered June 28th. The next day he pushed back his commitment date.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He just said this morning that Johnson is torn on his decision and that A&M is in it for Lockett more than people think along with Texas and Bama. Did he say some other time those guys are leans to other schools?

He mentioned in the last couple days that Lockett may be too far down the road with a&m for Texas to win out in that recruitment. He’s brought up a&m with Lockett quite a bit since last week, which made it seem like he believes a&m leads. 

20 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Scipio said in a video that 70 percent of 4 and 5 star DT recruits end up being busts. Not sure what definition of bust he's using but if that's even close to accurate don't worry about DT recruiting other than getting in numbers. He suggested taking a lot of high 3 star or low 4 star big framed DEs who have quickness for their size but not Colin Simmons burst therefore get rated low as HS DE prospects. Let those kids grow into DTs over 2-3 years. 

What are you actually trying to say with this?

"4 and 5 star DTs bust at a high rate" well our most likely DT in this class is a consensus 4 star, with the consensus being that he's overranked

"So don't worry about DT recruiting other than getting in numbers"  with one current lean, I should probably worry about DT recruiting

"Take big frame DE's and grow DTs" does that...address the current problem?

"I've been saying this for awhile" Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

To push back on this a little bit, I looked up the 247 pages of the players ESPN listed as the top DTs in the NFL: 

• Dexter Lawrence, composite 5 star
  • Jeff Simmons, composite 5 star
  • Chris Jones, composite 5 star
  • Quinnen Williams, composite 4 star and top 200 recruit
  • Justin Madibuike, composite 4 star and top 100 recruit
  • Kenny Clark, composite 4 star
  • Derrick Brown, composite 5 star 
  • Christian Wilkins, composite 5 star
  • Deforest Buckner, composite 4 star
  • Javon Hargrave, unranked back in 2012

There's a reason that Georgia, Clemson and Alabama have dominated DT recruiting and also had the best defensive lines for years. Of course, you can build great defensive lines through recruiting and developing lower ranked players, but don't fool yourself into thinking the best strategy is anything other than load up on the biggest bodied freak shows in the country (and proper development). 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

To push back on this a little bit, I looked up the 247 pages of the players ESPN listed as the top DTs in the NFL: 

There's a reason that Georgia, Clemson and Alabama have dominated DT recruiting and also had the best defensive lines for years. Of course, you can build great defensive lines through recruiting and developing lower ranked players, but don't fool yourself into thinking the best strategy is anything other than load up on the biggest bodied freak shows in the country (and proper development). 

That is not going to be helpful. I do know guys like  Chris Jones, Buckner, and Simmons were listed as a DE coming out of HS. Jones was 250 and Buckner 238 pounds.  I have doubts on whether Sark would go after those guys. Sark is a size queen. You have taken players starting from the 2013 class. There were 41 guys listed at DL in the 24 class. I am not going to look, but let's say its 7 classes (2013-2019). Let's call it 30 kids a year or 210 players. The 7 listed, taking out guys listed at DE, are not going to tell you much about the bust rate. I wouldnt be surprised if the elite came from the top of the rankings, but that doesnt mean there isnt a 60%+ bust rate.

Edited by Codaxx

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

You don't need the best NFL defensive tackles, you need very good college defensive tackles. Saban's 2020 Alabama team with Stark running the offense had defensive tackles that were solid for college but nothing great. It was Mathis then several rotational guys. Yet with the rest of their defense, especially Barmore and the LBs, and that offense they ran roughshod over the entire country. 

My point was identify one guy per cycle that you're willing to go big on NIL at defensive tackle and otherwise pull in two or three of the type I described. Do that every class and with quality development from your defensive line coaches you will be solid at defensive tackle. 

Fast twitch sack master defensive ends are the harder thing to come by but they seem to be able to get those. I have no doubt they'll figure out defensive tackle. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

That is not going to be helpful. I do know guys like  Chris Jones and Buckner were listed as a DE coming out of HS. Neither of those guys weighed over 250 at the time. I have doubts on whether Sark would go after those guys. Sark is a size queen. You have taken players starting from the 2013 class. There were 41 guys listed at DL in the 24 class. I am not going to look, but let's say its 7 classes (2013-2019). Let's call it 30 kids a year or 210 players. The 10 listed are not going to tell you much about the bust rate. I wouldnt be surprised if the elite came from the top of the rankings, but that doesnt mean there isnt a 60%+ bust rate.

I knew one of the more myopic people here would jump on the difference between a SDE and a DT. I'm not going to spend my time researching, but do you really think the bust rate is higher for top 200 defensive linemen than lower ranked players? What about the rate of game breaking players in the top 200 v. outside? I'm not arguing that the bust rate for highly ranked DTs isn't high, rather saying that a strategy of recruiting the most physically talented players possible and trusting your development is better than recruiting less talented players and developing. Would be curious to know what your explanation for the ferocious defensive lines that Clemson, Georgia and Alabama have rolled out in the past decade, if it isn't those schools stacking talent. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

I knew one of the more myopic people here would jump on the difference between a SDE and a DT. I'm not going to spend my time researching, but do you really think the bust rate is higher for top 200 defensive linemen than lower ranked players? What about the rate of game breaking players in the top 200 v. outside? I'm not arguing that the bust rate for highly ranked DTs isn't high, rather saying that a strategy of recruiting the most physically talented players possible and trusting your development is better than recruiting less talented players and developing. Would be curious to know what your explanation for the ferocious defensive lines that Clemson, Georgia and Alabama have rolled out in the past decade, if it isn't those schools stacking talent. 

I dont think you understood what I said. Pulling 7-10 guys out of the NFL from a pool of ~200+ recruits is not going to tell you much about the BUST rate, which is what you were trying to disprove. I believe I addressed your attempt to shift the argument with the Clemson and Bama comment in the following: 

"I wouldnt be surprised if the elite came from the top of the rankings, but that doesnt mean there isnt a 60%+ bust rate." 

Probably best to move on from this little sidebar, since it is not particularly accurate or interesting. 

Edited by Codaxx

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think you understood what I said. Pulling 7-10 guys out of the NFL from a pool of ~200+ recruits is not going to tell you much about the BUST rate, which is what you were trying to disprove. I believe I addressed your attempt to shift the argument with the Clemson and Bama comment in the following: 

"I wouldnt be surprised if the elite came from the top of the rankings, but that doesnt mean there isnt a 60%+ bust rate." 

Probably best to move on from this little sidebar, since it is not particularly accurate or interesting. 

I was not trying to disprove the bust rate - I trust Scipio's research. I was pushing back on the idea that, because of the bust rate, recruiting three and low-four star players is a better strategy. I agree that there's no need for further discussion here. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

I was not trying to disprove the bust rate - I trust Scipio's research. I was pushing back on the idea that, because of the bust rate, recruiting three and low-four star players is a better strategy. I agree that there's no need for further discussion here. 

Would be interesting to see inverse impact on NFL draft from these 4/5 star recruits. Also immediate impact vs time to develop. 

May end up being high risk/reward scenario vs a 3 star operating in a more consistent range of outcomes 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

I dont agree with part either. DT is a hard position to recruit/evaluate. I would rather take my chances with elite recruits. While the 60+ bust rate is eye opening, I woudl bet 3 stars bust at higher rate. I do agree on numbers though. If you know a positon has a high bust rate and it is vital to winning, you probably need to throw numbers at it. Sark has not. I do think Jackson profiles to being a hell of DT, despite him having 0 current interest in playing there currently. He is already 270 and a 2 sport guy,  I could see him easily at 300 as a Junior that maybe me wish casting. 

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Wait a minute ... did Anding commit?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy had a July 1st commitment date and LSU offered June 28th. The next day he pushed back his commitment date.

Just watched the Jaime Ffrench interview on OTF. He seems very excited and positive about Texas and at the end gave a "hookem baby" unprompted.

I've followed recruiting long enough to know how crazy things can get, but it really seems Ffrench is in the bag.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Just watched the Jaime Ffrench interview on OTF. He seems very excited and positive about Texas and at the end gave a "hookem baby" unprompted.

I've followed recruiting long enough to know how crazy things can get, but it really seems Ffrench is in the bag.

Gerry really did not seem concerned at all about the Georgia visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2024 at 11:05 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry

Jacksonville (Fla) Mandarin 5-star WR Jaime Ffrench tells OnTexasFootball that he is likely to make an OV to Georgia the last weekend of July.

Texas remains in a very good spot over Tennessee right now. Miami and LSU very much on the peripheral. 

image.png.9f1d6ab8806a2e9538a39a2ff68392e0.png

You're a fucking professional writer for fuck's sake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TXRed said:

He mentioned in the last couple days that Lockett may be too far down the road with a&m for Texas to win out in that recruitment. He’s brought up a&m with Lockett quite a bit since last week, which made it seem like he believes a&m leads. 

Are you sure that you are not confusing Lockett with Kelshaun Johnson?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In Gerry's defense, he probably spoke it into his phone and didn't catch it. It happens.

I guess maybe that makes him a professional slurrer rather than writer. It's a long, losing cause, but I think writers should try to protect the language.

I think my low opinion of sportswriters as writers is well known. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

He’s a recruiting reporter, last I checked. 

His job is to communicate the information he gathers to his audience. 

You should adjust your expectations wrt grammar soundness.

Yeah, even “professional writers” have multiple editors/editing layers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From February...

On 2/5/2024 at 11:42 AM, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian basically viewed Glasscock as a pencil pusher. Let him walk. Now they're promoting upwards from within, and doing so with guys that haven't been entirely impressive. Those guys are going to do what they're told, however. I guess we'll see how it all works out.

...to now.

On 7/9/2024 at 2:04 PM, closetojumping said:

Glasscock got an offer for more money and more power. Sarkisian told him "good luck". After that, Sarkisian didn't exactly scour the earth for the best man/woman possible. Then, he promotes an immature yes man to do what he's told in a key role.

This seems like such an easily preventable own goal it's baffling. We belatedly created a 'General Manager' position right after Glasscock jumped to Ole Miss for the exact same title, and just gave it to Brandon Harris. It was a lateral move, and there was no mitigating factor like Bo Davis had with his son at LSU.

Not to mention that we were getting fed absolute sunshine when Glasscock left from the $9.95-ers about how there would be no change in the recruiting department machine and there would be "no shortage of strong candidates to fill the role."

image.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2