Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.9f1d6ab8806a2e9538a39a2ff68392e0.png

You're a fucking professional writer for fuck's sake. 

We should always be concerned when a recruit that we believe is in our camp, goes to visit another school….especially Georgia, for crying out loud!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Warning it’s ketch. 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.ffec621a915454ea8fcd3997b201c414.png

image.thumb.png.50bde5363348bb68928409fa36551f68.png

image.thumb.png.18b3debcaa7703fde2652aa16cc7138e.png

image.thumb.png.4c38e890852caa1f647e19e89f1bb658.png

image.thumb.png.2813634bc7e8c5afb678dee4a31c3788.png

image.thumb.png.a537a8d4709a1c954006b9fbbaae90ff.png

If that kid really chose a program that can't develop QBs and has to rent one every year over being one of 2 big time targets for Arch Manning for 2 years just because Samples filled him up with "be your own man" bullshit then he's one dumb motherfucker.

I know kids are naive and ignorant by nature but damn. I'd even be surprised if many of you Chicken Little dumbasses here were ever stupid enough to make that decision. 

Dallas Wilson looks a lot like Kaliq Lockett. He's a long strider so he's not exceptionally fast off the line but almost impossible to catch once he gets going. I would imagine he has a very high top speed. Looks to be a very good blocker, too.

I wonder if his announcement is directly related to Dakorian Moore's Oregon commitment.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JerryHubbard said:

Are you sure that you are not confusing Lockett with Kelshaun Johnson?

My bad, it was CJ talking about Lockett too far down the road with a&m, Alabama, and fsu. So he didn’t mean a&m specifically there, but Gerry has brought up how a&m is way more involved in the Lockett recruitment than people think quite a bit in the last five days. Anyway, this was just a tongue-in-cheek example of something to get irrationally angry about. I don’t actually believe we go 0-4 with our WR targets. 

Edited by TXRed

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Scipio said in a video that 70 percent of 4 and 5 star DT recruits end up being busts. Not sure what definition of bust he's using but if that's even close to accurate don't worry about DT recruiting other than getting in numbers. He suggested taking a lot of high 3 star or low 4 star big framed DEs who have quickness for their size but not Colin Simmons burst therefore get rated low as HS DE prospects. Let those kids grow into DTs over 2-3 years. 

I've been saying that for a while. DTs are made not bought. 

Scipio is a big-mouthed asshole that loves the smell of his own farts.    In his mind, he's Richard Pryor.  In reality, He's Kenny Bania.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

From February...

...to now.

This seems like such an easily preventable own goal it's baffling. We belatedly created a 'General Manager' position right after Glasscock jumped to Ole Miss for the exact same title, and just gave it to Brandon Harris. It was a lateral move, and there was no mitigating factor like Bo Davis had with his son at LSU.

Not to mention that we were getting fed absolute sunshine when Glasscock left from the $9.95-ers about how there would be no change in the recruiting department machine and there would be "no shortage of strong candidates to fill the role."

image.png

Sadly validating. 

2 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

So his announcement was a video talking about himself and Oregon. Moving on

And the whole OTF board got hyped up from Gerald Hamilton for no reason. Lmao

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I guess maybe that makes him a professional slurrer rather than writer. It's a long, losing cause, but I think writers should try to protect the language.

I think my low opinion of sportswriters as writers is well known. 

He's a recruiting reporter. Stop being so pedantic. His audience is the lowest common denominator, you know, us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

This shit is sad when the own fanbase can see things before our own eyes before Steve can. But hey, got that culture!

19 minutes ago, Horn75 said:

And the whole OTF board got hyped up from Gerald Hamilton for no reason. Lmao

Sheesh, someone had a grumpy day today

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Da Fino said:

He's a recruiting reporter. Stop being so pedantic. His audience is the lowest common denominator, you know, us. 

I'm annoyed because he seems to be a respected recruiting reporter and I'm sometimes pathetically easy to annoy. I will say, that if you are the lowest common denominator, why are you clearly a better writer than he is? 

I'll drop it. We've got a crumbling language where the only adjectives seem to be incredible and amazing. If a member of a sports broadcast team used the word pedantic, the other morons would hoot and make fun of it. Then they could go back to describing a team being in the shadow of their goal line or finding various ways to fuck up mano a mano. 

Somebody put RomaVicta to bed.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

Texas is even still falling behind in the football facility wars. High School weight rooms are better than ours. How does Texas fuck up the ability to build a better weight room than other SEC programs? If Texas cannot even have a better weight room than some high schools, we will always be 2nd tier in Football. Dam, these people need to step up and get their heads out of their ass. Look where top recruits wants to play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 18
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Texas is even still falling behind in the football facility wars. High School weight rooms are better than ours. How does Texas fuck up the ability to build a better weight room than other SEC programs? If Texas cannot even have a better weight room than some high schools, we will always be 2nd tier in Football. Dam, these people need to step up and get their heads out of their ass. Look where top recruits wants to play.

Austin is great but it also has some of the highest costs when it comes to building compared to all the other SEC and Big 10 schools. The campus is also land locked, so that doesn’t help in building size comparison facilities. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Enemy07 said:

If Texas cannot even have a better weight room than some high schools, we will always be 2nd tier in Football

We were 6 points away from playing for a national championship 7 months ago. Calm down. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I heard Moore and Pettijohn were coming here until Brandon Harris showed them the weight room

That’s what recruits are all saying-

“your beautiful big city campus doesn’t have enough room for facilities expansion, I’M choosing a cow college in a cancer hotspot!”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Good, long-ish article from Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247) in the spoilered portion below.

Posting key excerpts the top, so that you can quickly get back to your weight room hot takes.

MICHAEL TERRY:  On the same note though, I still view the Longhorns as the team I expect to win this recruitment and so does the source close to Terry.

MADDEN FARAIMO:  ... sources lean towards Texas when asked where they think the Top247 prospect will end up if the decision isn't for Notre Dame.  A source believes Faraimo would find himself comfortable playing and living in Austin with the other polynesian players on the Longhorns' roster, but continues to maintain it will be an uphill battle vs. Notre Dame.

NATHANIEL OWUSU-BOATENG:  Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng is in talks with the Longhorns to set up an official visit in the fall " ... It's the best ball. I plan on going on an OV to Texas. It is not confirmed yet, but it's being talked about."

NICK TOWNSEND: The other Spring Dekaney Wildcat, Top247 ATH Nick Townsend, is a prospect Horns247 continues to feel good about ending up in the Longhorns' 2025 class with Townsend set to come off the board on Monday.

ANDREW MARSH: At this point in time Horns247 isn't expecting Marsh to end up in the class, but he's certainly a guy we will be keeping tabs on if receiver dominoes don't fall Texas' way over the next two months.

HINES:  Regardless, I currently lean USC for the Houston area pass catcher.

MCCUTCHEON:  McCutcheon commits on Saturday and if he called Texas and tried to commit I don't think the Longhorns would necessarily tell him no.

JOHNSON: Johnson's commitment date is TBD but he's also a guy I don't see Texas saying no to either if he wanted to hop in the boat, especially because it seems as if the Longhorns are pushing the hardest for him compared to Hines or McCutcheon.

Wednesday night recruiting notes
Scattershooting a bevy of recruiting notes collected from the past few days.
Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Reveal hidden contents

I've been speaking with sources over the last few days and figured I'd throw all of these notes into one story instead of splitting it up. 

Happy humpday!

Let's get into it.

— Over the last few days I've been catching up with a source close to San Antonio Alamo Heights five-star ATH Michael Terry III. The source confirmed that the nation's No. 1 athlete prospect will be visiting the Forty Acres at the end of the month for the annual "Texas Bash" pool party recruiting event that'll take place on Thursday July 25th. With the dead period ending at 12:00 AM on the 25th, schools will have a few days at the end of the month to welcome prospects in for visits before the dead period once again goes into effect. Schools will typically throw some sort of recruiting event that usually revolves around a barbecue or a pool party with each program having a different focus with the type of prospects they usually invite. 

For example, last year's Texas Bash recruiting event was mostly rising junior and sophomore prospects that made up the visitor list with every single 2024 prospect being a recruit who had already committed to the Longhorns prior to the end of July visit. While some fans may feel as if it'd be better to use the event to focus more on the rising senior class, the Longhorns still made the event quite useful as current several current commits/targets like Jackson Christian, London Smith, Caleb Chester, Javian Osborne, Tanook Hines, Daylan McCutcheon, Jonah Williams, and Drew Evers ended up making their way to Austin for the pool party festivities.

While most schools opt to have their event take place over the weekend, Texas is being proactive by hosting their Texas Bash event on a Thursday just like they did last summer. Although there can be logistical conflicts due to parents or prospects' support circle having to work during the week, I still view it as pretty savvy to host the event on a Thursday due to just about every other school Texas competes with happening to host their event during the weekend.

In speaking with a source, I'm told the Longhorns' staff will be having visitors watch the players in a summer workout along with the already mentioned pool party activities. I'm sure Texas will have Pluckers or some other type of fun catering option on campus for players and their families to enjoy a meal as well. While the party is going on, it's been common in the past for the Texas staff to pull an individual recruit away from the party in order to meet with his primary recruiters and/or Steve Sarkisian.

Back to Terry. 

Michael Terry III on his Texas official visit. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
After the trip to see Texas at the end of July was locked into the Terry family's schedule, Oregon came calling with an invitation to their campus and it's now looking pretty likely that the five-star will see Eugene once again the day after he sees Texas. With a decision likely to come in August ahead of the start of Terry's senior season, it's not the best news that the last visit taken before a commitment is made will likely be to see Oregon. On the same note though, I still view the Longhorns as the team I expect to win this recruitment and so does the source close to Terry.

Readers and fans alike have good reason to be wary of a prospects' chances of ending up with the Longhorns with Oregon involved as the Ducks have been a major thorn in the side of several other major power four programs besides Texas this cycle. But, AJ Milwee has done a stellar job with this recruitment and so have all the other staffers involved including Steve Sarkisian, Tashard Choice, Chris Jackson, Brandon Harris, and Chris Gilbert amongst several other staffers who have also done some damage in this recruitment. Outside of the effort being made by the coaches, Texas has their bases covered pretty well and also have a nice factor in the recruitment with having two of Terry's former teammates and friends already in the program as walk-ons. By this point it's also been well documented that Terry pulled for the Longhorns growing up and that his father consumes a bit of Texas football content as well.

All in all, at this point in time I still feel good about my crystal ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns and even with Oregon likely to get the last visit ahead of the decision, I still find it encouraging for Texas' chances that they'll be hosting the nation's No. 1 athlete on campus once more before the decision is made.

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Yesterday evening 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Brian Dohn reported that IMG Academy Top247 linebacker Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng is in talks with the Longhorns to set up an official visit in the fall, with Owusu-Boateng talking about his former IMG teammates Jerrick Gibson and Jordon Johnson-Rubell saying: "Knowing what they are telling me about Texas, and knowing they are in the SEC now, why not play in the SEC?" he said. "It's the best ball. I plan on going on an OV to Texas. It is not confirmed yet, but it's being talked about."

Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, and Florida round out the other schools in the mix. Having already seen Michigan, Notre Dame, and USC on official visits in June, Owusu-Boateng is working on getting OVs set for Florida as well as the aforementioned Longhorns. To my knowledge Owusu-Boateng has yet to see the Texas campus in person, so for the Longhorns to have a fighting chance they'll in all likelihood need to get the IMG Academy product to campus in the fall. With the intention of taking his time and committing in the fall, Texas could have a shot, but again it probably won't be that big of a shot unless Owusu-Boateng actually gets to see campus this fall. Even if that happens, the Longhorns still could be fighting from behind for the Top247 'backer.

Originally from Maryland, Owusu-Boateng transferred into IMG Academy following his sophomore season at DMV prospect factory Hyattsville (MD) Dematha Catholic, which has produced countless NBA players and NFL players with guys like Chase Young, Markelle Fultz, Cameron Wake, and Victor Oladipo coming to mind immediately. That said, Owusu-Boateng only overlapped with Gibson and Johnson-Rubell for one year so I'm not sure how much damage the two freshmen Longhorns could really do when it comes to peer recruiting.

Football runs in the family as well, as Owusu-Boateng's older brother Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah attended and played college football for Notre Dame before being selected in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. Because of the familial connections, many view the Fighting Irish as making the most sense for where folks expect Owusu-Boateng to end up, but with the recruitment set to end in the fall it still seems open enough for Texas to have a shot at doing some damage in the race.

At the end of the day Texas will be playing from behind with Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State all holding an advantage due to having already hosted Owusu-Boateng for visits. On the same note, I still see the official visit being in the works news as a positive as it shows the Longhorns are casting a wide net across the nation in order to fill in linebacker recruiting. Texas had success at IMG last cycle, now let's see if they can do it again.

Madden Faraimo (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
— There isn't a ton new to the recruitment of San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic Top247 linebacker Madden Faraimo. The West Coast native is still keeping things close to the vest with sources still viewing Notre Dame as the most likely landing spot. Although there still isn't an official timeline of when a decision could be made, a source on the West Coast leans towards Faraimo announcing a commitment before the season kicks off at the end of August.

Throughout the last week or so we reported that a source believes the family prefers for Faraimo to stay close to home and continue his playing career at nearby USC, along with the fact that the Trojans were who Faraimo grew up pulling for. Those notions still remain, yet sources are still struggling to pinpoint exactly where the Trojans are in the current equation of Faraimo's recruitment. The Trojans waited up until the very last day of the spring evaluation period to go see J Serra Catholic, and on the surface, appear as if they really didn't start fully recruiting Faraimo until Noah Mikhail really started leaning to Texas A&M.

That said, Texas appears to be the biggest threat to the Fighting Irish when it comes to winning this recruitment as Ohio State wasn't even mentioned when speaking with sources throughout the day. USC is still in the mix as well, but sources lean towards Texas when asked where they think the Top247 prospect will end up if the decision isn't for Notre Dame. Regardless, the sources believe that the longer the recruitment goes on, the less confidence they'll have in Notre Dame of winning this recruitment as Faraimo was originally scheduled to commit in early July but ended up removing the commitment date and now has an open timeline.

Although both faith and football are two of the biggest factors in the recruitment (which is one of the main reasons sources lean towards Notre Dame), Texas and Johnny Nansen are fighting and from my point of view I see it likely that Texas would recruit Faraimo through the whistle. A source believes Faraimo would find himself comfortable playing and living in Austin with the other polynesian players on the Longhorns' roster, but continues to maintain it will be an uphill battle vs. Notre Dame.

Tanook Hines (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Speaking of Notre Dame, throughout the spring the Irish had been thought of as the team to beat for Spring Dekaney four-star wide receiver Tanook Hines. However, in speaking with sources close to Hines over the last few days, they believe that if Hines was to have gone through with his commitment that was scheduled for Monday (but got pushed back a week due to Hurricane Beryl), then USC would have landed Hines' commitment two days ago. If you've been following along with Horns247 that shouldn't be news, as I reported in Monday's Stampede that sources believed USC would've been the winner if the commitment went through on Monday like it was originally scheduled to.

Although there's a top six, USC, Notre Dame, and Texas are the schools in contention for Hines' commitment that's set to take place this coming Monday. I spoke with Hines and a few sources close to him earlier today and got the vibe that the Longhorns aren't pushing as hard as the other two schools in the mix. I still think that if Texas was to push harder then they could win the recruitment on Monday, but at the end of the day the Longhorns could always try to double back in the fall if they miss out on Monday as sources in Houston don't see Hines' recruitment being fully over until he's signed his letter of intent. Regardless, I currently lean USC for the Houston area pass catcher.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how the dominoes fall with wide receivers Daylan McCutcheon, Kelshaun Johnson, and Hines as the trio of pass catchers are all set to come off the board before the end of the month and before both priority targets Kaliq Lockett and Jaime Ffrench make their decisions in August. McCutcheon commits on Saturday and if he called Texas and tried to commit I don't think the Longhorns would necessarily tell him no. On the same note, if McCutcheon goes elsewhere I wouldn't necessarily think the Longhorns would tell Hines no on the 15th either. Johnson's commitment date is TBD but he's also a guy I don't see Texas saying no to either if he wanted to hop in the boat, especially because it seems as if the Longhorns are pushing the hardest for him compared to Hines or McCutcheon. All in all, it feels like a pretty fluid situation with Texas and the receivers not named Lockett or Ffrench and at this point in the week it's hard to get a good enough read on the three pass catchers to have an expectation of how the next two to three weeks could unfold for receiver recruiting. Stay tuned.

Nick Townsend (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— The other Spring Dekaney Wildcat, Top247 ATH Nick Townsend, is a prospect Horns247 continues to feel good about ending up in the Longhorns' 2025 class with Townsend set to come off the board on Monday. Like his teammate and good friend Hines, Townsend was originally set to commit this past Monday but the ceremony was pushed back one week due to Hurricane Beryl. Sources believed that if the ceremony went through like planned, the decision would've been in favor of the Longhorns. Now with the decision set to come this coming Monday instead, sources still see the decision being made in favor of the Longhorns. 

Although he's ranked as an athlete prospect, Townsend would be the highest-ranked prospect the Steve Sarkisian staff has landed at the tight end position since arriving in Austin in early 2021. Yes, JT Sanders was a five-star prospect, but he signed with Texas just a little over two weeks before Sarkisian was officially hired on Jan. 2, 2021 so I'm not counting him as a prospect the Sarkisian staff actually landed.

Andrew Marsh (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— The recruitment of Katy Jordan Top247 wide receiver Andrew Marsh isn't one we've reported much on in recent weeks. There was some buzz earlier in the summer that the Houston area native could shut his recruitment down in favor of committing to Michigan after officially visiting Ann Arbor, but in speaking with a source close to Marsh earlier today, the source believes the four-star wideout will be sticking to his long planned timeline of committing on Veterans Day (Nov. 11) in honor of his late father who served in the military.

The recruitment of Marsh has always been extremely fluid even going back to his freshman year and on the same note, there's been more than a handful of programs who caught Marsh's eye and led for a period of time over the years according to sources. At this point in time Horns247 isn't expecting Marsh to end up in the class, but he's certainly a guy we will be keeping tabs on if receiver dominoes don't fall Texas' way over the next two months.

He added in the comments that NIL is not driving the decision for Terry and his parents have handled the process really well. 

It certainly sounds like a recruitment that profiles to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you plug Terry, Townsend, and Cunningham into the class calculator, it gives us enough points to currently be 9th in the 247 team rankings. That feels like a decent position to be in with the pending decisions of Ffrench, Lockett, Brooks, Faraimo, Fasusi, Tilmon and Sanders.

Maybe it's just the glass half full in me but it feels like a top 7-8 class is still pretty realistic and maybe even likely despite the misses to this point. Not breaking any news here but filling the 3-4 spots at DT with quality players will likely matter a whole lot more than the final ranking.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Good, long-ish article from Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247) in the spoilered portion below.

Posting key excerpts the top, so that you can quickly get back to your weight room hot takes.

MICHAEL TERRY:  On the same note though, I still view the Longhorns as the team I expect to win this recruitment and so does the source close to Terry.

MADDEN FARAIMO:  ... sources lean towards Texas when asked where they think the Top247 prospect will end up if the decision isn't for Notre Dame.  A source believes Faraimo would find himself comfortable playing and living in Austin with the other polynesian players on the Longhorns' roster, but continues to maintain it will be an uphill battle vs. Notre Dame.

NATHANIEL OWUSU-BOATENG:  Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng is in talks with the Longhorns to set up an official visit in the fall " ... It's the best ball. I plan on going on an OV to Texas. It is not confirmed yet, but it's being talked about."

NICK TOWNSEND: The other Spring Dekaney Wildcat, Top247 ATH Nick Townsend, is a prospect Horns247 continues to feel good about ending up in the Longhorns' 2025 class with Townsend set to come off the board on Monday.

ANDREW MARSH: At this point in time Horns247 isn't expecting Marsh to end up in the class, but he's certainly a guy we will be keeping tabs on if receiver dominoes don't fall Texas' way over the next two months.

HINES:  Regardless, I currently lean USC for the Houston area pass catcher.

MCCUTCHEON:  McCutcheon commits on Saturday and if he called Texas and tried to commit I don't think the Longhorns would necessarily tell him no.

JOHNSON: Johnson's commitment date is TBD but he's also a guy I don't see Texas saying no to either if he wanted to hop in the boat, especially because it seems as if the Longhorns are pushing the hardest for him compared to Hines or McCutcheon.

Hide contents

I've been speaking with sources over the last few days and figured I'd throw all of these notes into one story instead of splitting it up. 

Happy humpday!

Let's get into it.

— Over the last few days I've been catching up with a source close to San Antonio Alamo Heights five-star ATH Michael Terry III. The source confirmed that the nation's No. 1 athlete prospect will be visiting the Forty Acres at the end of the month for the annual "Texas Bash" pool party recruiting event that'll take place on Thursday July 25th. With the dead period ending at 12:00 AM on the 25th, schools will have a few days at the end of the month to welcome prospects in for visits before the dead period once again goes into effect. Schools will typically throw some sort of recruiting event that usually revolves around a barbecue or a pool party with each program having a different focus with the type of prospects they usually invite. 

For example, last year's Texas Bash recruiting event was mostly rising junior and sophomore prospects that made up the visitor list with every single 2024 prospect being a recruit who had already committed to the Longhorns prior to the end of July visit. While some fans may feel as if it'd be better to use the event to focus more on the rising senior class, the Longhorns still made the event quite useful as current several current commits/targets like Jackson Christian, London Smith, Caleb Chester, Javian Osborne, Tanook Hines, Daylan McCutcheon, Jonah Williams, and Drew Evers ended up making their way to Austin for the pool party festivities.

While most schools opt to have their event take place over the weekend, Texas is being proactive by hosting their Texas Bash event on a Thursday just like they did last summer. Although there can be logistical conflicts due to parents or prospects' support circle having to work during the week, I still view it as pretty savvy to host the event on a Thursday due to just about every other school Texas competes with happening to host their event during the weekend.

In speaking with a source, I'm told the Longhorns' staff will be having visitors watch the players in a summer workout along with the already mentioned pool party activities. I'm sure Texas will have Pluckers or some other type of fun catering option on campus for players and their families to enjoy a meal as well. While the party is going on, it's been common in the past for the Texas staff to pull an individual recruit away from the party in order to meet with his primary recruiters and/or Steve Sarkisian.

Back to Terry. 

Michael Terry III on his Texas official visit. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
After the trip to see Texas at the end of July was locked into the Terry family's schedule, Oregon came calling with an invitation to their campus and it's now looking pretty likely that the five-star will see Eugene once again the day after he sees Texas. With a decision likely to come in August ahead of the start of Terry's senior season, it's not the best news that the last visit taken before a commitment is made will likely be to see Oregon. On the same note though, I still view the Longhorns as the team I expect to win this recruitment and so does the source close to Terry.

Readers and fans alike have good reason to be wary of a prospects' chances of ending up with the Longhorns with Oregon involved as the Ducks have been a major thorn in the side of several other major power four programs besides Texas this cycle. But, AJ Milwee has done a stellar job with this recruitment and so have all the other staffers involved including Steve Sarkisian, Tashard Choice, Chris Jackson, Brandon Harris, and Chris Gilbert amongst several other staffers who have also done some damage in this recruitment. Outside of the effort being made by the coaches, Texas has their bases covered pretty well and also have a nice factor in the recruitment with having two of Terry's former teammates and friends already in the program as walk-ons. By this point it's also been well documented that Terry pulled for the Longhorns growing up and that his father consumes a bit of Texas football content as well.

All in all, at this point in time I still feel good about my crystal ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns and even with Oregon likely to get the last visit ahead of the decision, I still find it encouraging for Texas' chances that they'll be hosting the nation's No. 1 athlete on campus once more before the decision is made.

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Yesterday evening 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Brian Dohn reported that IMG Academy Top247 linebacker Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng is in talks with the Longhorns to set up an official visit in the fall, with Owusu-Boateng talking about his former IMG teammates Jerrick Gibson and Jordon Johnson-Rubell saying: "Knowing what they are telling me about Texas, and knowing they are in the SEC now, why not play in the SEC?" he said. "It's the best ball. I plan on going on an OV to Texas. It is not confirmed yet, but it's being talked about."

Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, and Florida round out the other schools in the mix. Having already seen Michigan, Notre Dame, and USC on official visits in June, Owusu-Boateng is working on getting OVs set for Florida as well as the aforementioned Longhorns. To my knowledge Owusu-Boateng has yet to see the Texas campus in person, so for the Longhorns to have a fighting chance they'll in all likelihood need to get the IMG Academy product to campus in the fall. With the intention of taking his time and committing in the fall, Texas could have a shot, but again it probably won't be that big of a shot unless Owusu-Boateng actually gets to see campus this fall. Even if that happens, the Longhorns still could be fighting from behind for the Top247 'backer.

Originally from Maryland, Owusu-Boateng transferred into IMG Academy following his sophomore season at DMV prospect factory Hyattsville (MD) Dematha Catholic, which has produced countless NBA players and NFL players with guys like Chase Young, Markelle Fultz, Cameron Wake, and Victor Oladipo coming to mind immediately. That said, Owusu-Boateng only overlapped with Gibson and Johnson-Rubell for one year so I'm not sure how much damage the two freshmen Longhorns could really do when it comes to peer recruiting.

Football runs in the family as well, as Owusu-Boateng's older brother Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah attended and played college football for Notre Dame before being selected in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. Because of the familial connections, many view the Fighting Irish as making the most sense for where folks expect Owusu-Boateng to end up, but with the recruitment set to end in the fall it still seems open enough for Texas to have a shot at doing some damage in the race.

At the end of the day Texas will be playing from behind with Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State all holding an advantage due to having already hosted Owusu-Boateng for visits. On the same note, I still see the official visit being in the works news as a positive as it shows the Longhorns are casting a wide net across the nation in order to fill in linebacker recruiting. Texas had success at IMG last cycle, now let's see if they can do it again.

Madden Faraimo (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
— There isn't a ton new to the recruitment of San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic Top247 linebacker Madden Faraimo. The West Coast native is still keeping things close to the vest with sources still viewing Notre Dame as the most likely landing spot. Although there still isn't an official timeline of when a decision could be made, a source on the West Coast leans towards Faraimo announcing a commitment before the season kicks off at the end of August.

Throughout the last week or so we reported that a source believes the family prefers for Faraimo to stay close to home and continue his playing career at nearby USC, along with the fact that the Trojans were who Faraimo grew up pulling for. Those notions still remain, yet sources are still struggling to pinpoint exactly where the Trojans are in the current equation of Faraimo's recruitment. The Trojans waited up until the very last day of the spring evaluation period to go see J Serra Catholic, and on the surface, appear as if they really didn't start fully recruiting Faraimo until Noah Mikhail really started leaning to Texas A&M.

That said, Texas appears to be the biggest threat to the Fighting Irish when it comes to winning this recruitment as Ohio State wasn't even mentioned when speaking with sources throughout the day. USC is still in the mix as well, but sources lean towards Texas when asked where they think the Top247 prospect will end up if the decision isn't for Notre Dame. Regardless, the sources believe that the longer the recruitment goes on, the less confidence they'll have in Notre Dame of winning this recruitment as Faraimo was originally scheduled to commit in early July but ended up removing the commitment date and now has an open timeline.

Although both faith and football are two of the biggest factors in the recruitment (which is one of the main reasons sources lean towards Notre Dame), Texas and Johnny Nansen are fighting and from my point of view I see it likely that Texas would recruit Faraimo through the whistle. A source believes Faraimo would find himself comfortable playing and living in Austin with the other polynesian players on the Longhorns' roster, but continues to maintain it will be an uphill battle vs. Notre Dame.

Tanook Hines (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Speaking of Notre Dame, throughout the spring the Irish had been thought of as the team to beat for Spring Dekaney four-star wide receiver Tanook Hines. However, in speaking with sources close to Hines over the last few days, they believe that if Hines was to have gone through with his commitment that was scheduled for Monday (but got pushed back a week due to Hurricane Beryl), then USC would have landed Hines' commitment two days ago. If you've been following along with Horns247 that shouldn't be news, as I reported in Monday's Stampede that sources believed USC would've been the winner if the commitment went through on Monday like it was originally scheduled to.

Although there's a top six, USC, Notre Dame, and Texas are the schools in contention for Hines' commitment that's set to take place this coming Monday. I spoke with Hines and a few sources close to him earlier today and got the vibe that the Longhorns aren't pushing as hard as the other two schools in the mix. I still think that if Texas was to push harder then they could win the recruitment on Monday, but at the end of the day the Longhorns could always try to double back in the fall if they miss out on Monday as sources in Houston don't see Hines' recruitment being fully over until he's signed his letter of intent. Regardless, I currently lean USC for the Houston area pass catcher.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how the dominoes fall with wide receivers Daylan McCutcheon, Kelshaun Johnson, and Hines as the trio of pass catchers are all set to come off the board before the end of the month and before both priority targets Kaliq Lockett and Jaime Ffrench make their decisions in August. McCutcheon commits on Saturday and if he called Texas and tried to commit I don't think the Longhorns would necessarily tell him no. On the same note, if McCutcheon goes elsewhere I wouldn't necessarily think the Longhorns would tell Hines no on the 15th either. Johnson's commitment date is TBD but he's also a guy I don't see Texas saying no to either if he wanted to hop in the boat, especially because it seems as if the Longhorns are pushing the hardest for him compared to Hines or McCutcheon. All in all, it feels like a pretty fluid situation with Texas and the receivers not named Lockett or Ffrench and at this point in the week it's hard to get a good enough read on the three pass catchers to have an expectation of how the next two to three weeks could unfold for receiver recruiting. Stay tuned.

Nick Townsend (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— The other Spring Dekaney Wildcat, Top247 ATH Nick Townsend, is a prospect Horns247 continues to feel good about ending up in the Longhorns' 2025 class with Townsend set to come off the board on Monday. Like his teammate and good friend Hines, Townsend was originally set to commit this past Monday but the ceremony was pushed back one week due to Hurricane Beryl. Sources believed that if the ceremony went through like planned, the decision would've been in favor of the Longhorns. Now with the decision set to come this coming Monday instead, sources still see the decision being made in favor of the Longhorns. 

Although he's ranked as an athlete prospect, Townsend would be the highest-ranked prospect the Steve Sarkisian staff has landed at the tight end position since arriving in Austin in early 2021. Yes, JT Sanders was a five-star prospect, but he signed with Texas just a little over two weeks before Sarkisian was officially hired on Jan. 2, 2021 so I'm not counting him as a prospect the Sarkisian staff actually landed.

Andrew Marsh (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— The recruitment of Katy Jordan Top247 wide receiver Andrew Marsh isn't one we've reported much on in recent weeks. There was some buzz earlier in the summer that the Houston area native could shut his recruitment down in favor of committing to Michigan after officially visiting Ann Arbor, but in speaking with a source close to Marsh earlier today, the source believes the four-star wideout will be sticking to his long planned timeline of committing on Veterans Day (Nov. 11) in honor of his late father who served in the military.

The recruitment of Marsh has always been extremely fluid even going back to his freshman year and on the same note, there's been more than a handful of programs who caught Marsh's eye and led for a period of time over the years according to sources. At this point in time Horns247 isn't expecting Marsh to end up in the class, but he's certainly a guy we will be keeping tabs on if receiver dominoes don't fall Texas' way over the next two months.

Sincerely appreciate that you synthesize the key points of these verbose updates. Thank you for that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Gainz are life. So I can see the gym being shallow and pedantic pushing away elite level prospects if they cannot hit the necessary hypertrophy  because swole is the goal. Size is the prize. Curls for the girls.  

on Mondays we do chest. Because if you wanna slam your pork pumper in the shit dumper you gotta hit that chest 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 1