Plumber finds bags of cash and checks in the walls of Joel Osteen's church

Horn Under a Bad Sign

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Some of y'all need to look up money laundering in the dictionary.  

And still more of you need to understand how organized religion work.  

Oh, right...right.  Good works and faith.  Oh shit, I almost typed that with a straight face this time.

Megachurches (and especially Osteen) are not exactly representative of organized religion in general.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

How can Osteen plausibly deny that he didn't know about this?  Wouldn't it, like, require a toilet to be moved, a wall to be torn down etc..?  I mean, would a burglar steal money from a safe, move a toilet, tear down a wall, hide the money, repair the wall, put the toilet back ----- then leave the money there? After all that work?  And how is it that all this activity wouldn't be noticed?

The top of the wall is probably open above the ceiling.   You can climb up and just drop it down inside the wall.

14 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Megachurches (and especially Osteen) are not exactly representative of organized religion in general.

nor are they in any way representative of the teachings of Christ, but you could say that about the Southern Baptist Church and almost all organized christian churches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

nor are they in any way representative of the teachings of Christ, but you could say that about the Southern Baptist Church and almost all organized christian churches.

Not to derail into a theological conversation, but Osteen is not an orthodox Christian. He would technically be defined as a heretic ... but that's probably for another thread.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You don't know how the Baptist churches operate.  They are autonomous.

got damned you are an aggy. you really did go to the wrong school.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/southern-baptists-oust-churches-lgbtq-inclusion-76072901

autonomous as long as their preachings stay in line of the gun and capitalism loving, gays and poor people hating, jesus.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Then what's the point of the Baptist General Convention of Texas?  Staff of 150 in a big office across the street from Royal Oaks C.C. in Dallas.  They claim they "lead/administer" 5,200 Baptist churches in Texas.  I know those churches have far more leeway than say a Catholic Church in Texas has from the myriad diocese.  But it looks/sounds like there's some structure to the Baptist Church.  And by the looks of it, some financial kick-ups as well.  

Anyway, back to the douch-nozzle that is Joel Osteen.  Wouldn't this be enough to get the Feds to bring him in for questioning and do a proper forensic audit of both he and his church?  I'm sure he'll say somebody stole it and hid it there to come back and get it later.  I would think a church that "opulent" would keep detailed records of when work was done on it.  So the work order for that particular room with invoice and cancelled check must be somewhere.  So you can see the date the work was done.  Compare that against the dates on the checks (which obviously could have had incorrect dates from the past or future placed on them on purpose, but the printing of the check is easily discernible and could be a guide.  Also, the serial numbers on the cash hidden in there, and their dates of printing---you can easily tell what days those hit the federal reserve of Dallas for distribution to banks.  

but I'm guessing none of that will happen because Osteen will make that creepy smile and say something folksy and soul-warming to the cops and state troopers and they'll drop the whole fucking thing.  Because people so close to Jesus can't possibly steal.  At least Osteen can hold a bible up correctly in church, I'll give him that. 

Edited by Lobo

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

got damned you are an aggy. you really did go to the wrong school.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/southern-baptists-oust-churches-lgbtq-inclusion-76072901

autonomous as long as their preachings stay in line of the gun and capitalism loving, gays and poor people hating, jesus.

They are autonomous.  They may or may not be members of various conventions.  And the conventions can kick them out.  But the churches themselves make all policies and choose whether to be in a convention.  Membership is voluntary and the conventions have zero authority to govern anything at the church level.  

There is no top-down governance like there is with the Presbyterians, Episcopals or Catholics.

You insult me for stating facts and then go on to state a lot of stupid shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Then what's the point of the Baptist General Convention of Texas?  Staff of 150 in a big office across the street from Royal Oaks C.C. in Dallas.  They claim they "lead/administer" 5,200 Baptist churches in Texas.  I know those churches have far more leeway than say a Catholic Church in Texas has from the myriad diocese.  But it looks/sounds like there's some structure to the Baptist Church.  And by the looks of it, some financial kick-ups as well.  

image.png.3e0a53aea34b5c10b02a27cc7c8a1cf1.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Makes sense.  Just seems like a big staff, big office, and big budget for having no real teeth and being "solely a medium through which Baptist churches way work in cooperation with each other."  Seems like you could do that with 9 guys and a computer.

Then again, my wife's Catholic church here in Austin.  FTE Staff of 30 for 3000 parishioners seems like overkill (especially when you consider the dozens more of volunteers, clergy students, et. al.).  And they need the $30mm church on 28 acres in the one of the nicest parts of Austin to connect us to God.  

Note to Self-----be sure to knock on the walls of the church next time I'm there.  But don't be obvious about it.  

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anyway, back to the douch-nozzle that is Joel Osteen.  Wouldn't this be enough to get the Feds to bring him in for questioning and do a proper forensic audit of both he and his church?  I'm sure he'll say somebody stole it and hid it there to come back and get it later.  I would think a church that "opulent" would keep detailed records of when work was done on it.  So the work order for that particular room with invoice and cancelled check must be somewhere.  So you can see the date the work was done.  Compare that against the dates on the checks (which obviously could have had incorrect dates from the past or future placed on them on purpose, but the printing of the check is easily discernible and could be a guide.  Also, the serial numbers on the cash hidden in there, and their dates of printing---you can easily tell what days those hit the federal reserve of Dallas for distribution to banks.  

but I'm guessing none of that will happen because Osteen will make that creepy smile and say something folksy and soul-warming to the cops and state troopers and they'll drop the whole fucking thing.  Because people so close to Jesus can't possibly steal.  At least Osteen can hold a bible up correctly in church, I'll give him that. 

"Hey fellas, what a coincidence. I just finished cutting a check to your association.  Really glad you stopped by."

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Hey fellas, what a coincidence. I just finished cutting a check to your association.  Really glad you stopped by."

I laughed out loud because I can easily hear him in my head, and I can easily see them falling for it.  

"We're the FBI/Treasury Agents, Mr. Osteen.  We don't have a policeman's benevolence fund you can donate to so we'll stop asking questions." 

(joel keeps writing zeroes...), "Well ya fellas do now!  Consider it seeded!  God Bless!" 

"Mr. Osteen.  We are supported by a federal employee retirement system with medical benefits.  Have you been doing this the whole time with local cops and Texas tax assessors?"  

(joel sighing in his palms), "I have the worst fucking attorneys."  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Makes sense.  Just seems like a big staff, big office, and big budget for having no real teeth and being "solely a medium through which Baptist churches way work in cooperation with each other."  Seems like you could do that with 9 guys and a computer.

Then again, my wife's Catholic church here in Austin.  FTE Staff of 30 for 3000 parishioners seems like overkill (especially when you consider the dozens more of volunteers, clergy students, et. al.).  And they need the $30mm church on 28 acres in the one of the nicest parts of Austin to connect us to God.  

Note to Self-----be sure to knock on the walls of the church next time I'm there.  But don't be obvious about it.  

the best kind of grift is the grift where you look like you're doing something important. 

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I laughed out loud because I can easily hear him in my head, and I can easily see them falling for it.  

"We're the FBI/Treasury Agents, Mr. Osteen.  We don't have a policeman's benevolence fund you can donate to so we'll stop asking questions." 

(joel keeps writing zeroes...), "Well ya fellas do now!  Consider it seeded!  God Bless!" 

"Mr. Osteen.  We are supported by a federal employee retirement system with medical benefits.  Have you been doing this the whole time with local cops and Texas tax assessors?"  

(joel sighing in his palms), "I have the worst fucking attorneys."  

back-to-school-1986-shutterstock-editorial-5884066z.jpg

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

They are autonomous.  They may or may not be members of various conventions.  And the conventions can kick them out.  But the churches themselves make all policies and choose whether to be in a convention.  Membership is voluntary and the conventions have zero authority to govern anything at the church level.  

There is no top-down governance like there is with the Presbyterians, Episcopals or Catholics.

You insult me for stating facts and then go on to state a lot of stupid shit.

You want to keep getting that sweet Mission Board cash? Toe the line.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/secret-recordings-leaked-letters-explosive-secrets-rocking-the-southern-baptist-convention/article_02c8d485-3e58-55b3-afef-5a3d81805ea1.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

The relationship between the SBC, BGCT, and individual churches is a bit hard to explain.  The churches pick their pastor and the pastor largely picks their theology and church operations, within some limits.  And membership in SBC and BGCT does impose some limits on the theology and church operations.  And membership in those orgs is important to Baptist churches that identify themselves as Southern Baptist.

Also, I was vexed by across the street from Royal Oaks.

Although I am not a member, I have spent a shitpile of time there since I was a kid.  And, currently, I mountain bike across Greenville from the entrance probably once or twice a week.  And, the only thing across the street from Royal Oaks is a Callaways Nursery and a dog grooming and boarding place, formerly a liquor store.

BGCT is across the street from Presbyterian Hospital, or to be punctilious, Texas Health Dallas. It's two or three streets south of Royal Oaks.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Please forgive me father.  From the map, it looked like you walk out of their office on Rambler, cross Meadow, and you're basically at the main gate of the Country Club.  

Okay, the tea-totaling judgmental bureaucrats are Country Club-adjacent, not directly across.  It's a hard map to read, it was devised by a lesbian cartographer who worshipped as a Jew.  I gotta get google maps apparently.

Just now, Lobo said:

Please forgive me father.  From the map, it looked like you walk out of their office on Rambler, cross Meadow, and you're basically at the main gate of the Country Club.  

Okay, the tea-totaling judgmental bureaucrats are Country Club-adjacent, not directly across.  It's a hard map to read, it was devised by a lesbian cartographer who worshipped as a Jew.  I gotta get google maps apparently.

It isn't that far, you're right, but that's not the entrance.  You can't even see it from Rambler.  And all you could see is a wrought iron fence and some greens and sand traps and shit.

The whole Rambler Road thing is like a hugely overgrown stripmall of offices that faces Presbyterian.  I'm a little surprised there's a 100+ employee operation in there, but there are some kind of bigger buildings in the back.  

I think it started as professional offices for docs and related health care things.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:55 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

You can insure cash in a safe?  So o can buy a safe, start a LLC, make a fake accounting book that shows 600k in profit over a year or two (slightly more plausible), insure the contents of the safe, claim a theft, then have my insurance pay me back the amount written in my books?  

If it was checks that were insured and paid out, why?  Just ask for new checks and inform the customers, I mean partitioners, to cancel the first one. 

Do you know what the penalty for insurance fraud is in this state?

Well....Its probably pretty stiff

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1