The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Im just using a red dot.  I don't plan on shooting beyond 100 yards with this rifle.   I don't feel too bad, I was aiming for the vertical black bar on top of the target.  

Ah that’s right - you got that primary arms red dot right?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I can’t recall if I posted something similar in the past, but I’m looking for someone who can crack a gun safe.

Have a neighbor who passed last year and the family is finally getting around to dealing with the house, but no one has the code for the safe.

They also don’t have the scratch to go out of pocket and were quoted something insane like 8k to open it up…

Anyone have any leads in the Austin area for this kind of thing?

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Will give them a jingle, thanks. Any other leads, please LMK!

Last year, there was a big story about a safe company giving a backdoor access code to law enforcement to break into a safe that they had a warrant to access. If it has an electronic lock I think all they need is the serial number and proof of ownership to get it from the manufacturer. 

Also. A lot of the gun safes sold are really just security cabinets that are incredibly easy to break in to. Sometimes it's as simple as using a template to drill a hole in the door,  pulling a couple of wires and hooking a 9 volt battery to them. 

Also if they don't care about the safe, they can lay it on its side and use a San Angelo bar to pry it open. If it's cheap enough you can use a fire ax to chop through the cheap, light gage metal. 

YouTube gun safe security and you can see how easy it is to get into most security "safes".

Word, appreciate that…

I need to get in there and see this thing, but my sense is that 1) it’s huge and 2) it’s old af

Assuming getting in is gonna be more about brute force than a tactical approach, but I guess we’ll see.

If I end up getting in, will certainly share pics of whatever I find!

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Last year, there was a big story about a safe company giving a backdoor access code to law enforcement to break into a safe that they had a warrant to access. If it has an electronic lock I think all they need is the serial number and proof of ownership to get it from the manufacturer. 

Also. A lot of the gun safes sold are really just security cabinets that are incredibly easy to break in to. Sometimes it's as simple as using a template to drill a hole in the door,  pulling a couple of wires and hooking a 9 volt battery to them. 

Also if they don't care about the safe, they can lay it on its side and use a San Angelo bar to pry it open. If it's cheap enough you can use a fire ax to chop through the cheap, light gage metal. 

YouTube gun safe security and you can see how easy it is to get into most security "safes".

Very true, but not everybody can afford a Graffunder safe.

Edited by Armybrat

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Very true, but not everybody can afford a Graffunder safe.

Agreed. Most are really designed for discouragement or to slow someone down. And after having guns stolen in a break-in in '80, I wish we would have had something, anything. But if you search around you can find deals. A few years ago, I found a real UL listed safe on Craigslist. 1" plate steel body, 1 1/4" plate steel door. I got it for $400 because the guy couldn't move it. We figured it weighed over 4000 lbs because a regular 3500 lbs forklift couldn't lift it. It was a bitch to move. But unless you're a professional safe cracker, I'm pretty confident in it's protection rating.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was working on the new 300WM at my farm (more on that later) last weekend.  I ejected a casing and it landed as below, neck embedded in the front porch wood decking.  There's a one-in-a-million chance that would ever happen, so I took a picture of it.  I thought the result was pretty cool, so sharing it here.

IMG_2875.thumb.jpg.6643fc88d2ea58a5e73bc8b1836c4d85.jpg

I guess you could say, it really stuck the landing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I like the mini-14.  Haters hate but it’s a cool little firearm.

That’s the thing about guns.  Fortunately, at least right here and right now they aren’t a zero sum game.  It doesn’t have to be A or B.

Hell, I own a HiPoint carbine and an H&R .22 revolver along with all the nicer “better” stuff I have.  I’m not ashamed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Hell, I own a HiPoint carbine and an H&R .22 revolver along with all the nicer “better” stuff I have.  I’m not ashamed. 

I mean this is Surly, but we DO have standards.  SMH

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I will have you know that the Hi Point carbines work - it is their best platform. It is quite the hidden gem from a functionality perspective.

No kidding. It goes bang repeatedly regardless of what’s gummed it up.  I have the 10mm with a red dot and keep it in a floorboard compartment in the back of my suburban.  Once in a while I hit it with compressed air to knock the dust off, spray one blast of oil on it and cycle the bolt.  Packs a lot of punch within 100 yards for $299.99.

Great truck or ranch gun.   I have a helluva lot more confidence in it firing under horrible conditions and treatment than one of the bargain basement ARs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/31/2024 at 7:58 PM, Armybrat said:

Yes, I was impressed by the 75’s quaity in fit & finish, not to mention its fifty year history of world wide reputation.

IMG_5245.jpeg

I like the 75 decocker model a little more now that I’m used to it, but either way it’s a great pistol. They also made a .45acp version in the same design for a while if that’s your bag- the CZ-97.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 11:38 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Sorry to be late to the party, but Mini-14s are garbage

On 6/7/2024 at 9:47 AM, Lat22 said:

They never killed a single person if I remember correctly.

A-Team would rather pelt you with melons and makeshift water cannons.

Mini-14 worked well enough in the Miami FBI shootout in 86 to change the entire framework of how we arm and train police. Ironically, it also initiated the consensus that ultimately led to the assault weapons ban, but they exempted it because it was too popular, instead focusing on regulating relatively less common guns that had connotations to criminals and weirdos, especially the Tec-9, the MAC-10, the Uzi, and the AR-15.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I will have you know that the Hi Point carbines work - it is their best platform. It is quite the hidden gem from a functionality perspective.

Yeah, my roommate in college had one. It was ugly. But it shot exactly where you wanted it to shoot without having to think about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A-Team would rather pelt you with melons and makeshift water cannons.

Mini-14 worked well enough in the Miami FBI shootout in 86 to change the entire framework of how we arm and train police. Ironically, it also initiated the consensus that ultimately led to the assault weapons ban, but they exempted it because it was too popular, instead focusing on regulating relatively less common guns that had connotations to criminals and weirdos, especially the Tec-9, the MAC-10, the Uzi, and the AR-15.

Yep.  In a landscape absent the AR and all the modularity aspects, we’d be talking about the mini as a home defense / PDW  (especially the folder) held in high regard….arguing about it in the .556 vs. the commi-pill chambering. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I might know a guy who has one just like this if anyone is interested.  It is set up as a slide fire.  Skip down to the 23:00 mark for slide fire action.  At one time, he had another vid on the same gun with slide fire, but I didn't see it this morning. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I might know a guy who has one just like this if anyone is interested.  It is set up as a slide fire.  Skip down to the 23:00 mark for slide fire action.  At one time, he had another vid on the same gun with slide fire, but I didn't see it this morning. 

Goddamn that old man can shoot. 

The mini 14 is a fantastic platform. Lightweight, easy to fire, light recoil. The ease of disassembly, cleaning and storage are also positive attributes. Accuracy can range from good to exceptional depending on what you feed it. It does exactly what Bill Ruger intended it for, an upgrade from the lever action that was the mainstay on most ranches of the time. Can you be unlucky and get a shitty one? Sure, but that applies to every firearm that isn’t custom tuned. Including those that come out of manufacturers custom shops.

Just the latest example of how stupid the people we let speak for us think we are:

I’ve said it before and again- gun culture has gone to hell, and as far as I’m concerned bullshit like this is a greater threat to our collective 2A rights as gun owners and shooters than any gun grabber prohibitionist. The culture war bullshit is a huge win for one party but it discredits us all. 
Only gun owners can give us better gun culture and for reasons I can’t fathom, other than being a bunch of paranoid old fools who believe too much of the propaganda fed to us by the horseshit-industrial complex, we keep giving our money and support to the wrong people. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Never heard of TXGR, but their hiring practices might explain that.

You’re lucky. When I went looking for a less icky, more shooting and ownership focused alternative to the NRA a while back somebody must have made some very wrong assumptions about what I was looking for and directed me to TGR. It’s a bunch of kooks and political sleaze. 
I just wish we could get the NRA from the 70s-80s back.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

There's gonna be a bunch of groups like TXGR pop up in the next few years as the NRA erodes.  

Also, Murdoch could drug B.A. with one hit, within a 2-second window, to get him on the plane.  But he couldn't hit a single target with an automatic rifle and 20 minutes.  

My arm issue is finally healing up, used a friend's Browning HP-Mark III (some special anniversary edition), at a range.  Really liked it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:27 AM, BabaYaga said:

Hitchcock.  His channel is pure gold.  Guy's a legend.  Loves splashing steel and soda bottles.  

He's the Bob Ross of the gun world.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

SCOTUS throws out bump stock ban.

Good job by plaintiff Michael Cargill who owns a local gun shop in Austin.
He has been a very active spokesman for 2nd Amendment issues here in Texas.

The brace rule fiasco won’t be far behind now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think Congress can ban bump stocks.

Hope the brace thing gets done soon.  I have a couple of those in my safe.

I really wish we could overhaul a lot of rules.  I would be willing to bend on high capacity magazines to some extent.  Maybe make anything over 20 a NFA? But Jesus, suppressors should not at all be NFA.

• Like 2

SCOTUS throws out bump stock ban.
Good job by plaintiff Michael Cargill who owns a local gun shop in Austin.
He has been a very active spokesman for 2nd Amendment issues here in Texas.
The brace rule fiasco won’t be far behind now.

Brace ban was ruled on yesterday by the 5th- they overturned it. It’s like it never happened.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Brace ban was ruled on yesterday by the 5th- they overturned it. It’s like it never happened.

I missed that…..we were on the road back from Port Aransas.

Feds gonna try to take to the top? 
After the bump stock decision, probably not.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I think Congress can ban bump stocks.

Hope the brace thing gets done soon.  I have a couple of those in my safe.

I really wish we could overhaul a lot of rules.  I would be willing to bend on high capacity magazines to some extent.  Maybe make anything over 20 a NFA? But Jesus, suppressors should not at all be NFA.

Mag capacity…why would you?

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Mag capacity…why would you?

Y’all are probably right.  I just don’t care that much.  It’s weird how I can buy large cap mags for my sporting rifles while I must pay $200 tax plus wait forever to get a suppressor.  It’s silly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

while I must pay $200 tax plus wait forever to get a suppressor. 

As long as you buy as an individual, they are coming back in a matter of days.  This has me looking at starter machine-guns.  Maybe a Reising or a Mac 11.  

• Hook 'Em 1