The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I really wish we could overhaul a lot of rules.  I would be willing to bend on high capacity magazines to some extent.  Maybe make anything over 20 a NFA? But Jesus, suppressors should not at all be NFA.

I could live with 30 but 50 seems like a better limit.
anyway, I’ve posted on this here a lot- deals like this would make a lot of sense and there are all kinds of areas for reform and modernization of the NFA. 
Unfortunately there’s no incentives for the political process to work this way.  Gun owners don’t get what we want because we’ve chosen to sacrifice our political capital protecting the rights of teenagers, criminals and crazies to possess modern sporting rifles and take them across borders and into Chipotle, and ruin American political discourse while we’re at it by empowering and legitimizing gun grabbers. 
Just a massive waste of resources.

• Hook 'Em 1

Russia and Ukraine were firing up to 60,000 artillery shells a day at one point in their war, and the daily average was roughly 12,000 shells during this spring’s lull in U.S.-backed supplies to Ukraine.

The result has been a global shortage of gunpowder, which is beginning to affect prices for private U.S. consumers.

Alliant Powder, which has supplied smokeless powder to private consumers to reload their ammunition, has suspended sales and canceled outstanding orders, AmmoLand reported.
Global conflicts, particularly the Russia-Ukraine war, have spiked demand for gunpowder, but the U.S. has limited capacity to produce explosive nitrocellulose and gunpowder.

Some reports say that China, a major global supplier of nitrocellulose, has restricted shipments to the U.S.

The result is several “pinch points” that limit what the U.S. can produce.
He said plenty of ammunition is still available to the commercial market but prices are increasing.

More:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/jun/3/chinese-restrictions-ukraine-war-crimp-us-gunpowde/

16 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

As long as you buy as an individual, they are coming back in a matter of days.  This has me looking at starter machine-guns.  Maybe a Reising or a Mac 11.  

For now they are. Thanks Biden!

speaking of which- anyone got a rec for a good 9mm can?

24 minutes ago, bernorange said:

In spite of this, the summer price slump is here and prices have trended lower in the past several weeks at the retail level.  That will be temporary.

We're going to get the confluence of component scarcity, the election, and the fall demand.

Today may be as good as it gets for some time.

• Hook 'Em 1

In spite of this, the summer price slump is here and prices have trended lower in the past several weeks at the retail level.  That will be temporary.
We're going to get the confluence of component scarcity, the election, and the fall demand.
Today may be as good as it gets for some time.

It is. Bad for dealers. It’s a mess behind the scenes.

On that note I told all you idiots to buy ammo. Prices have started going up. It won’t stop for a while.

Buy ammo. Wait on guns till end of summer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On backorder with Silencer Shop or I would. 

Dude, you’re killing me.

Battlehawk probably has one. I’ll make a few calls if that’s what you want.

But omega k for half the price would be nice. They’re available.

8 hours ago, Handcruser said:

It is. Bad for dealers. It’s a mess behind the scenes.

On that note I told all you idiots to buy ammo. Prices have started going up. It won’t stop for a while.

Buy ammo. Wait on guns till end of summer.

Commentary from SG Ammo.  He’s pretty transparent on his pricing.

It is a buyer's market for ammo with prices cut to the bone these days. It would be wise to stock up while demand is down, and profit margins are under 10%. One of the funny things I have observed in my 23+ years in this business is that most consumers do not buy when demand and prices are down and wait for prices to go back up before purchasing. This is all part of a market cycle, and like all cycle’s things change, often quickly and unexpectedly. Don't be the person that waited to buy when demand and prices to spike.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Dude, you’re killing me.

Battlehawk probably has one. I’ll make a few calls if that’s what you want.

But omega k for half the price would be nice. They’re available.

Man I don’t know shit about cans. I have a Q El Camino for my rimfires, and I feel like I need 2 more at least: one for my pistols and PCC, and one for full powered rifles.

Commentary from SG Ammo.  He’s pretty transparent on his pricing.
It is a buyer's market for ammo with prices cut to the bone these days. It would be wise to stock up while demand is down, and profit margins are under 10%. One of the funny things I have observed in my 23+ years in this business is that most consumers do not buy when demand and prices are down and wait for prices to go back up before purchasing. This is all part of a market cycle, and like all cycle’s things change, often quickly and unexpectedly. Don't be the person that waited to buy when demand and prices to spike.

Yep. Buy ammo now. Prices are still low but Fiocchi federal and others have raised prices in the last 30 days.

Man I don’t know shit about cans. I have a Q El Camino for my rimfires, and I feel like I need 2 more at least: one for my pistols and PCC, and one for full powered rifles.

They are not my specialty.

I just got a scythe ti by Silencerco and it is the tits. Extremely lightweight - which I value over everything else. The omega k’s are light as well.

Alaskan 360 will probably be next.

22/30 call/ multi-cal for 9/45 are the three everyone should have.

So I’d look hard at scythe ti and Alaskan 360. I’ll make a call to Zach at battlehawk in a few hours and see if he has a 360ti.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, cabowabo said:

As long as you buy as an individual, they are coming back in a matter of days.  This has me looking at starter machine-guns.  Maybe a Reising or a Mac 11.  

I’ve spent time with several belonging to shooting buddies, MAC 10, MAC 11, Thompson 1928, grease gun, H&K MP5. Pretty fun, but expensive as hell to feed.  Still want to shoot a BAR/Colt Monitor.

• Like 1

Rifle and handgun....say .223, .556, .270, .243, 12ga, 20 ga, 9mm, 40mm, 45mm

Yeah there are a ton of sites that would work. As mentioned sgammo is a good one.

On some of those calibers I’d see what specialty rounds you want (ex defensive or hunting - outside of just practice rounds) and see where they are cheapest on ammoseek.

Battlehawk armory
Natchezss.com
Psa

Tons of sights.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Rifle and handgun....say .223, .556, .270, .243, 12ga, 20 ga, 9mm, 40mm, 45mm

Yeah there are a ton of sites that would work. As mentioned sgammo is a good one.

On some of those calibers I’d see what specialty rounds you want (ex defensive or hunting - outside of just practice rounds) and see where they are cheapest on ammoseek.

Battlehawk armory
Natchezss.com
Psa

Tons of sites.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Battlehawk armory
Natchezss.com
Psa

Tons of sites.

Yep - All those.

I buy a shit-ton of ammunition.  It's useful today, provides security for tomorrow (from scarcity) and holds its value.

All those site and many others are worth a look.  

My experience is that most of the time, the biggest value is making sure you're getting free shipping and aren't required to pay sales tax, wherever you are.

Don't step over a dollar to pick up a dime. 

Look for the freight and tax terms most advantageous to your situation 1st, and then start comparing cost per round. 

Those two factors are bigger savings than any differential retail pricing between vendors.

• Hook 'Em 1

I usually just buy ammo at academy when I am there.  Is online cheaper when you factor in shipping?

On 6/14/2024 at 6:59 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

From Sotomayor's dissent:

Seems like she just said AR-15's are in common usage. 

I think there are close to 30 million modern sporting rifles in circulation in the USA right now.  So hard to deny they are in common usage.

I usually just buy ammo at academy when I am there.  Is online cheaper when you factor in shipping?
I think there are close to 30 million modern sporting rifles in circulation in the USA right now.  So hard to deny they are in common usage.

Yes, sometimes. Usually in bulk.

Ammoseek is a great tool because you can see a good range of price per round. Also which sites have better deals on shipping including free shipping at certain price points or bulk counts etc.

And sometimes the prices are close enough that the convince “fee” is negligible so buying at academy/cabelas/gebos is worth it.

I just miss the ability to buy my hunting rounds directly from Federal with my LEO discount. Now they only offer the range ammo and top of the line hunting ammo….
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Example-
The cheapest 9mm at academy is blazer brass at $300 a case.

You can find decent brass 9mm for around 225 - 235 plus a little shipping, usually $10 or so.

Yes it’s cheaper.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, Frank Drebin said:

The anti-gun side no longer denies they are commonly possessed. First they denied they were commonly possessed because they were a minority of the overall number of guns owned. So they were objectively possessed in large numbers, but subjectively they were a small percentage of firearms used. Then when that failed, they pivoted to arguing that the average owner of one modern sporting rifle actually owned 3.2 of them, so the numbers were wildly inflated by "hoarders." Now the argument is that, while there may be a large number of them in circulation, they are still not commonly used FOR SELF DEFENSE. As in, people rarely use them to shoot assailants in justifiable self defense situations. 

As mentioned above, ammoseek is great as is https://gun-deals.com/ammo

I miss the days of .223 FMJBT target ammo at .19 per round delivered. Literally thanks a lot Obama.
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2024 at 5:40 PM, Handcruser said:

I forgot they are closed weekends. You can order it online and Adam said he’d get it out Monday.

Haven’t pulled the trigger yet (heyoo!) but it doesn’t look like Battlehawk answers the phone anymore and drives inquiries to email/web form. Not a huge problem, exactly, but seems odd.

Haven’t pulled the trigger yet (heyoo!) but it doesn’t look like Battlehawk answers the phone anymore and drives inquiries to email/web form. Not a huge problem, exactly, but seems odd.

Yeah- Adam did say order it online. They do so much business it’s hard for them to manage.

If you want to chat with them just tell me and I’ll make it happen.
  • Hook 'Em 1

^

that reminds me of that great bit in Eddie Murphy's delirious where he talks about his mom throwing her sandal/shoe all the way upstairs, boomerang style.  Comes back to her, she puts it back on and walks outta the house.  His sound effects were amazing.  Would have been even more funny if I hadn't had so many Mexican aunts throw theirs at my head as a child.  

Also reminds me of a great bit by Kyle Kinane (standup from 'but what about' Chicago).  Where he's touring and in an open-carry state.  And the dude next to him in line is carry a pistol in his board shorts and flip-flops.  And like me, Kyle had a CHL for awhile (I think when he lived in Illinois or Oregon), but gave it up.  Anyway, he's a scrubby looking guy even on-stage.  But his bit is basically, "When you carry, have a holster, or pants, or at least a fucking belt.  This dude's rocking a desert eagle in fucking swim trunks barely tied together by a wet string buying funyons and an RC cola.  He's one margaritaville'd footwear mishap from accidentally killing the cashier.  Anyway, check out the two bits online.  Funny stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1