The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Love mine and runs great suppressed.

I’d love one, but am finding it difficult to wrap my mind around the price tag on those.

This last 10/22 I bought in 1977 was around $50.

IMG_1938.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’d love one, but am finding it difficult to wrap my mind around the price tag on those

I got a deal on one at McBride’s, of all places. It was used, but I’d be shocked if it had more than 20 rounds through it- wasn’t even broken in. 

• Like 1

The VM-22 is awesome, but I don't know about starting at 1500 before optics for a 22 plinker. I have a 10/22 but it is an OG version and would hate to mod it. May just get a new threaded version and go from there. 

If y'all recall, earlier this year I went searching for a new bolt action rifle that would primarily serve as the weapon of choice for African plains game and, secondarily, as a "go-to" rifle for North American game from deer to Moose and everything in between.  Thanks to all of you who chimed in on that discussion.  After evaluating an metric shit-ton of rifles and a whole host of calibers, I went with the new Bergara B-14 Wilderness Sierra chambered in 300WM (I posted about it here).  Thanks again to @Handcruser for the hookup with Arnzen Arms.

I've spent the last few months getting to know the rifle, and the rifle has met or exceeded my expectations, especially at its $1100 retail price-point.

This is the set-up I'm taking to Africa:

IMG_3016.thumb.jpg.51789d2b7a1fcb964983c3b3e71653e5.jpg

The system:

Bergara B-14 Wilderness Sierra in 300WM
Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex with a fancy Swaro screw-in objective lens cover and magnetic catch
Warne Mountain Tech 1 inch low matte rings
Zero MOA Remington LA Mountain Tech tactical rail
Vortex Lo Pro Bubblevel
Dead Air Sandman-S suppressor with Keymo QD brake

MDT Oryx swivel-mount bipod
Slogan long magnum sling
Federal Terminal Ascent 200gr at 2743ft/s out of a 22" barrel

I tested several proven types of plains game ammunition, including Norma Oryx, Nosler Accubonds and Partitions, and Barnes TTSX (all in 180gr), but I went with the Terminal Ascent 200gr as the gun just liked it better, plus it delivers more energy out past 100 yards and the bullet seems to be an updated, modern version of the Partition.  It consistently shoots sub-MOA off the bench.  Example:

IMG_2909.thumb.jpg.017493a9b2b95ebd02db0fbf75042b24.jpg 

And off of shooting sticks, I can consistently ring steel at 300 yards with "groups" around 1-2MOA:

IMG_3043.thumb.jpg.c0ef971bffd867d2007374f7173f160c.jpg

That should be good enough for plains game.  BTW, the Swaro ballistics calculator works very well, and I should be good out to 600 yards (only to 400 tested).  I plan to keep shots in the 300-400 range max, though.

After a cleaning, the gun definitely likes a fouling shot or two, after which groups settle in until opening up again around 30 rounds.  It's been a repeatable process.

@Anastasis a while ago you asked about shooting bolts suppressed.  It's been a dream compared to my unsuppressed/unbraked 300 Weatherby Mag.  Recoil is more of a "push," very manageable, and the sound suppression really makes a difference in hunting scenarios.  The brake seems to lessen recoil a tad more, but I prefer the overall effect / experience shooting suppressed.  The 22" barrel really helps maneuverability.

I'm off to Africa today.  We'll see how this thing performs in the field.  I'll hop over to the hunting thread to update when access to internet permits.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

If y'all recall, earlier this year I went searching for a new bolt action rifle that would primarily serve as the weapon of choice for African plains game and, secondarily, as a "go-to" rifle for North American game from deer to Moose and everything in between.  Thanks to all of you who chimed in on that discussion.  After evaluating an metric shit-ton of rifles and a whole host of calibers, I went with the new Bergara B-14 Wilderness Sierra chambered in 300WM (I posted about it here).  Thanks again to [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] for the hookup with Arnzen Arms.
I've spent the last few months getting to know the rifle, and the rifle has met or exceeded my expectations, especially at its $1100 retail price-point.
The system:
Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex with a fancy Swaro screw-in objective lens cover and magnetic catch
Vortex Lo Pro Bubblevel
Slogan long magnum sling
I tested several proven types of plains game ammunition, including Norma Oryx, Nosler Accubonds and Partitions, and Barnes TTSX (all in 180gr), but I went with the Terminal Ascent 200gr as the gun just liked it better, plus it delivers more energy out past 100 yards and the bullet seems to be an updated, modern version of the Partition.  It consistently shoots sub-MOA off the bench.  Example:
And off of shooting sticks, I can consistently ring steel at 300 yards with "groups" around 1-2MOA:
That should be good enough for plains game.  BTW, the Swaro ballistics calculator works very well, and I should be good out to 600 yards (only to 400 tested).  I plan to keep shots in the 300-400 range max, though.
After a cleaning, the gun definitely likes a fouling shot or two, after which groups settle in until opening up again around 30 rounds.  It's been a repeatable process.
[mention=179]Anastasis[/mention] a while ago you asked about shooting bolts suppressed.  It's been a dream compared to my unsuppressed/unbraked 300 Weatherby Mag.  Recoil is more of a "push," very manageable, and the sound suppression really makes a difference in hunting scenarios.  The brake seems to lessen recoil a tad more, but I prefer the overall effect / experience shooting suppressed.  The 22" barrel really helps maneuverability.
I'm off to Africa today.  We'll see how this thing performs in the field.  I'll hop over to the hunting thread to update when access to internet permits.

Dude that rig is awesome. Glad I could be a small part of it.

Send pics from Africa and don’t let us down.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If y'all recall, earlier this year I went searching for a new bolt action rifle that would primarily serve as the weapon of choice for African plains game and, secondarily, as a "go-to" rifle for North American game from deer to Moose and everything in between.  Thanks to all of you who chimed in on that discussion.  After evaluating an metric shit-ton of rifles and a whole host of calibers, I went with the new Bergara B-14 Wilderness Sierra chambered in 300WM (I posted about it here).  Thanks again to [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] for the hookup with Arnzen Arms.
The system:
Vortex Lo Pro Bubblevel
Slogan long magnum sling
[mention=179]Anastasis[/mention] a while ago you asked about shooting bolts suppressed.  It's been a dream compared to my unsuppressed/unbraked 300 Weatherby Mag.  Recoil is more of a "push," very manageable, and the sound suppression really makes a difference in hunting scenarios.  The brake seems to lessen recoil a tad more, but I prefer the overall effect / experience shooting suppressed.  The 22" barrel really helps maneuverability.

The Federal Terminal Ascent is the “old”Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, which is an awesome bullet of very intelligent design. (federal bought them out a few years ago) You get the strength/penetration of a monometal with some lead up front for better down range energy retention and big expansion/fragmentation in the vitals. I set my dad’s 7 Rem Mag up with them when we went to Africa in ‘18. That bullet was considered then to maybe be the best 7mm bullet for African game; an awesome 300win mag choice as well.

What area are you going to and what species are you targeting?

If broadside, shoot critters in the shoulder, right up the front leg, their vitals are further forward than our critters’ are.

Take tons of photos!

541614c9a0aef7b62583dd8893ff10e4.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, 686 said:

The Federal Terminal Ascent is the “old”Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, which is an awesome bullet of very intelligent design. (federal bought them out a few years ago) You get the strength/penetration of a monometal with some lead up front for better down range energy retention and big expansion/fragmentation in the vitals. I set my dad’s 7 Rem Mag up with them when we went to Africa in ‘18. That bullet was considered then to maybe be the best 7mm bullet for African game; an awesome 300win mag choice as well.

What area are you going to and what species are you targeting?

If broadside, shoot critters in the shoulder, right up the front leg, their vitals are further forward than our critters’ are.

That’s right, I had forgotten about the TBBC.  You are spot on with what the TA supposed to do.  I think it will be perfect for a wide range of game from springbok to eland.

If we ever get to SA (4 hour delay in DFW, mad dash to make connection in Newark which was delayed 3 hours and now we have been sitting on the tarmac for 1.5 hours in a further weather delay that is supposed to last another hour, but I digress…), we will be hunting the Eastern Cape, half the time in the Karoo and the other half closer to the coast.  

On my list are kudu, gemsbok, impala, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, bushbuck, blesbok, springbok, trophy warthog.  But anything can happen.

Roger that on shot placement.  I have a pocket copy of Robertson’s Perfect Shot that I’ve been studying.

I’ll post more in the hunting thread.  Don’t want to derail here.

• Like 1

Fun news/bad news...

Fun, I shot a full auto and suppressed B&T APC9 the other day.  That was a lot of fun.  Put a 100 rounds through it.   

Bad, I sent my Banshee back to CMMG for a tuneup.  It was stovepiping a lot.   Gunsmith at my range said it's overgassed and tolerances were kind of shitty.  Hoping CMMG can fix it.