The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 6/10/2024 at 7:43 AM, 59 Burst said:

The mini 14 is a fantastic platform. Lightweight, easy to fire, light recoil. The ease of disassembly, cleaning and storage are also positive attributes. Accuracy can range from good to exceptional depending on what you feed it. It does exactly what Bill Ruger intended it for, an upgrade from the lever action that was the mainstay on most ranches of the time. Can you be unlucky and get a shitty one? Sure, but that applies to every firearm that isn’t custom tuned. Including those that come out of manufacturers custom shops.

My dad has been using the same one for over 30 years. He calls me and my brother AR queers and tells us any time we talk shit to outshoot him. It's a fantastic gun thats stood the test of time. 

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2024 at 11:49 AM, BlackCat said:

My dad has been using the same one for over 30 years. He calls me and my brother AR queers and tells us any time we talk shit to outshoot him. It's a fantastic gun thats stood the test of time. 

Is it chrome with a folding buttstock, does he smoke a cigar when he shoots it and love it when a plan comes together?   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@Armybrat the following pic is a savage 29 pump action .22 that my grandfather recently gave my son. I see no markings on it other than make and model. Any idea how I learn when it was made?  Feels like a fun little plinker that I can’t wait to shoot. And the octagonal barrel is cool. 

IMG_2849.thumb.jpeg.beb19dcc816d77836628676076a7af8e.jpeg

Cool time!

Savage made those starting in ‘29 and stopped in ‘40 -  lots of recreational guns ceases or paused production as the war kicked off.

Looks like most auctions have them selling under $500. 

There are some Savage message board forms and those guys could dissect all the markings and narrow down the exact date.

Wipe it down well, stock and all with soft rags and some Balistol and y’all get to shooting. Looks like it’s is good shape to and almost 100 yr old rifle. 

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@Armybrat the following pic is a savage 29 pump action .22 that my grandfather recently gave my son. I see no markings on it other than make and model. Any idea how I learn when it was made?  Feels like a fun little plinker that I can’t wait to shoot. And the octagonal barrel is cool. 

IMG_2849.thumb.jpeg.beb19dcc816d77836628676076a7af8e.jpeg

Cool rifle! 

Savage made those starting in ‘29 and stopped in ‘40 -  lots of recreational guns ceased or paused production as the war kicked off.

Looks like most auctions have them selling under $500. 

There are some Savage message board forms and those guys could dissect all the markings and narrow down the exact date.

Wipe it down well, stock and all with soft rags and some Balistol and y’all get to shooting. Looks like it’s is good shape for an almost 100 yr old rifle. 

Edited by Reagan1k

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What Reagan said.

Those old pump action .22 rifles are nice heirloom treasures if they’ve been treated right.

My brother collects Winchester 1890s, 1906s, 61s, & 62s. 
That’s an expensive hobby.

405$$IMG_1708.jpeg

I’ve got an old Winchester I need to find (either in dads or brothers safe).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Good news for most of y'all.  

Justices on the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals have once again rejected arguments that cannabis consumers can be barred federally owning firearms.

On Wednesday, the Court decided in US v Connelly that Americans’ 2nd Amendment rights cannot be infringed solely based upon one’s prior substance use. In its opinion, justices wrote: “[T]here is no historical justification for disarming citizens of sound mind [and] there is no historical justification for disarming a sober citizen not presently under an impairing influence. … Marijuana user or not, [the defendant] is a member of our political community and thus has a presumptive right to bear arms. By infringing on that right, 922(g)(3) contradicts the Second Amendment’s plain text.”

Throughout its opinion, the Court acknowledged that no historical precedent exists for stripping alcoholics of their 2nd Amendment rights.

It concluded: “The government provides no meaningful response to the fact that neither Congress nor the states disarmed alcoholics, the group most closely analogous to marijuana users in the 18th and 19th centuries. … Our history and tradition may support some limits on a presently intoxicated person’s right to carry a weapon, … but they do not support disarming a sober person based solely on past substance usage.”

I'd like to thank whoever it was that recently celebrated the Ruger Mark IV because that was the final push needed to acquire a Mark IV Target and top it with a Holosun 507c.  Initial range reports are highly encouraging, and the RDS appears to be just what my left-eye dominance needed.  Looking forward to ringing steel this weekend

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A Las Vegas friend recently bought one of these Sig Sauer P365X 12+1. 
Said it was better than his early 10+1 basic version (not optic ready like the X), so…..

It is just slightly thicker than My Kahr S9 (7+1). Gotta get out and shoot it soon.

IMG_6130.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.5059638e514e4d1e5d4e563731d93e50.jpeg

top - daily wear Stacatto CS/ Cartier Santos

middle - date night. Custom built commander with all the goodies/ Rolex President

bottom - scuffling time.  Cline Tactical custom 19/ Citizen Promaster/ Microtech Exocet

All shoot 5 rounds touching at 10 yards if I do my part   Fastest draw speed/splits/scores are with the 19   Staccato is coming along   I expect it to take over in another year and couple thousand rounds   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.5059638e514e4d1e5d4e563731d93e50.jpeg

top - daily wear Stacatto CS/ Cartier Santos
middle - date night. Custom built commander with all the goodies/ Rolex President
bottom - scuffling time.  Cline Tactical custom 19/ Citizen Promaster/ Microtech Exocet
All shoot 5 rounds touching at 10 yards if I do my part   Fastest draw speed/splits/scores are with the 19   Staccato is coming along   I expect it to take over in another year and couple thousand rounds   

Is that a cs23 or cs24?

I see it now. It’s a cs23.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

A Las Vegas friend recently bought one of these Sig Sauer P365X 12+1. 
Said it was better than his early 10+1 basic version (not optic ready like the X), so…..

It is just slightly thicker than My Kahr S9 (7+1). Gotta get out and shoot it soon.

IMG_6130.jpeg

Love my "basic" 10+1 P365. I've shot thousands of rounds with no issues. Love it. If I upgrade I'd definitely look at another Sig. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I got it 6 months ago.  It is very accurate, eats everything, points naturally, 16 round mags and conceals well in an AIWB holster.  I am taking it out to Florence to have them redo the trigger.  It is 3.5 lbs on my gauge but has a good bit of "scrunchy" take up.    They can upgrade ignition kit and change the take up. 

I think it has a lot of upside and I will get faste with more practice.  If it can beat the 19, that is saying something.  The Gen 5 19 that I had Cline Tactical build is a machine.  Sub 2 second draw speed, .25 splits and has never missed a beat in 1000s of rounds.  Hardly ever clean it, just drop of oil on slide, barrel, hood, etc..every 500 rounds.

• Like 1

I got it 6 months ago.  It is very accurate, eats everything, points naturally, 16 round mags and conceals well in an AIWB holster.  I am taking it out to Florence to have them redo the trigger.  It is 3.5 lbs on my gauge but has a good bit of "scrunchy" take up.    They can upgrade ignition kit and change the take up. 
I think it has a lot of upside and I will get faste with more practice.  If it can beat the 19, that is saying something.  The Gen 5 19 that I had Cline Tactical build is a machine.  Sub 2 second draw speed, .25 splits and has never missed a beat in 1000s of rounds.  Hardly ever clean it, just drop of oil on slide, barrel, hood, etc..every 500 rounds.

Get the new kits for the mags. They’re free. Ask Katie up front and she’ll take care of you.

I’m not sold on the new springs and follower but they’re free.
  • Like 1