The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 9/6/2024 at 11:45 AM, Armybrat said:

A Las Vegas friend recently bought one of these Sig Sauer P365X 12+1. 
Said it was better than his early 10+1 basic version (not optic ready like the X), so…..

It is just slightly thicker than My Kahr S9 (7+1). Gotta get out and shoot it soon.

🤬

Put this in hunting but thought I’d put it here too. I think this is the year I finally breakdown and get an over under for dove hunting. I’ve been looking at the Browning website and am overwhelmed by the number of options. There are at least 20 different kinds of citoris. Any recs for a good high quality over under that’ll last forever that I can pass down to my boy? Would like to keep it under $3K so I know they limits the options. Not married to browning. That’s just what I’ve always had in mind.

11 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Put this in hunting but thought I’d put it here too. I think this is the year I finally breakdown and get an over under for dove hunting. I’ve been looking at the Browning website and am overwhelmed by the number of options. There are at least 20 different kinds of citoris. Any recs for a good high quality over under that’ll last forever that I can pass down to my boy? Would like to keep it under $3K so I know they limits the options. Not married to browning. That’s just what I’ve always had in mind.

Ruger Red Label is decent.  I'd look at the Browning 725/CX or Beretta 680/686/682

A used Citori is also worth digging around for.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I’ve been using O/U’s almost exclusively for the last 20 years.   It’s going to get well covered by everyone’s favorite.  In that price range you can get any of the B guns, and are sneaking close to some of the upgraded Etchen types.  My only advice would be don’t sleep on some that aren’t new. You can score some really nice superposed, Dalys, red labels, from back when that (imo) are better than a lot of what’s new on a shelf today.   

17 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

What are you looking to move? Know some private collectors in town who are always interested and you might fetch a better price.

• winchester 1885 trainer 22 lr (w/ peep scope)

Winchester22lrsingleshot.thumb.jpg.ea441ffb68de9de195526c148569508c.jpg

• colt army w/ powder keg 

ColtArmy1861(built1862).thumb.jpg.3c0959c7fe3a2b27a853a6674f8c26f6.jpg

• sharp new model 1863

SharpsRifle.thumb.jpg.d11529c3bd34ed0d0c20f8ca8205bef7.jpg

• p38 mauser with leather holster amd 2 mags (1944)

P389mmwHolster.thumb.jpg.58579ecd1880c252c3bebd8a4ab70192.jpg

• Hungarian Femaru P.Mod.37, luftwaffe wehrmacht

RomanPMod377.65kal.thumb.jpg.1437f105df6f6d5f700cc92586638f60.jpg

• Remington model 95 derringer

Remington2OvrUndrderringersernum173.thumb.jpg.36654603c059d20e884297c4bd921e8c.jpg

• brevette derringer 

Brevete 4barrel DRP 177023.jpg

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

15 years ago I bought a P38  that had came out of a salt mine near Moscow the same year. It  was hidden there after the war and sat there for 60+ years in a crate. I cleaned it up and it shot without a hiccup. It was kind of impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would be afraid more modern ammo would blow my p38 to pieces. I did inherit a nagant I've shot. It wasn't worth very much, so I didn't feel bad about it. I also got some black powder pepper boxes. Real pirate vibes. If these look familiar, I think I posted the same pics yeara ago in this or a predecessor board.

CBBlackPowder4insingleshot.thumb.jpg.47c3225b042a3155aa5f6fa8aa0df604.jpgCBBlackPowder2shotsidebyside.thumb.jpg.1adcfff182d72f3728bc698e9b91aac6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve been using O/U’s almost exclusively for the last 20 years.   It’s going to get well covered by everyone’s favorite.  In that price range you can get any of the B guns, and are sneaking close to some of the upgraded Etchen types.  My only advice would be don’t sleep on some that aren’t new. You can score some really nice superposed, Dalys, red labels, from back when that (imo) are better than a lot of what’s new on a shelf today.   

Agree with this, I would go the used route to expand your options.  Also recommend going to a trap and skeet club and try shooting some different guns to settle on one with a good fit for you.  For me, it's the Winchester 101, which you can usually find used for under $1k.

On 9/10/2024 at 8:56 AM, BabaYaga said:

Ruger Red Label is decent.  I'd look at the Browning 725/CX or Beretta 680/686/682

A used Citori is also worth digging around for.  

On 9/10/2024 at 11:07 AM, fattyflattie said:

Obviously WAY underneath his budget but I could not be happier with My Yildiz Sporting  30in and thanks to everyone who endorsed. 
Just an incredible value for under $800. I love it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

So if I was looking for a modest bolt action hunting rifle- say in a .270 or 6.5 creedmoor or similar, what is the difference in the $500 gun vs the $800 gun vs the $1500 gun?  Weight?  I can’t imagine capacity is a big deal on a hunting rifle. 

Capacity doesn’t have anything to do with it. They’ll all most likely have an internal 4 round mag.

Action/barrel/ergonomics. That’s the bulk of it.

If I was buying in this range, the Bergara lineup would be an option.

Ruger is not bad for the money.

Savage are blah.

CZ and Tikka should get a look.

What’s the purpose of the rifle?

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

In Texas?

Washington.

some of this is in the Hunter thread, but my son and i participated in a deer hunt put on by the First Hunt Foundation, since he wants to hunt and I don’t know shit about it.  So we brought the 06 and they said don’t use that, you’ll ruin too much meat (this was a doe tag) and gave him a .247.  So now we are investigating a smaller caliber hunting rifle. 

And as in th other thread, I’ll say that first hunt foundation is a great non-profit organization and can always use financial support. 

Washington.

some of this is in the Hunter thread, but my son and i participated in a deer hunt put on by the First Hunt Foundation, since he wants to hunt and I don’t know shit about it.  So we brought the 06 and they said don’t use that, you’ll ruin too much meat (this was a doe tag) and gave him a .247.  So now we are investigating a smaller caliber hunting rifle. 

And as in th other thread, I’ll say that first hunt foundation is a great non-profit organization and can always use financial support. 

243. That’s what they gave him.

243 is 6mm. So a 6mm Creedmoor would be a comparable round but with better accuracy at longer ranges.

I’d focus on these:
6.5mm creedmoor
6mm creedmoor
7mm-08.

6.5mm creedmoor is more popular that 6mm creedmoor but 6mm shoots a little softer. I’m probably going to build one in 6mm or 260rem.

7mm-08 is a 308 necked down for a smaller 7mm bullet. It’s a wicked good round.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Think about availability of ammunition too.. I use a CZ 30-06 I bought about 20 years ago for bigger whitetail and muleys and such. I use a 30-30 for hill country deer. But I'm old fashioned and haven't kept up with the latest and greatest... Maybe look into .270? Another old round... I'm prepared to be negged on this thread.. lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What are the differences in these rounds?

308 is a 30 cal bullet. 300 winmag is a 30 cal bullet. 30-06 is a 30 cal bullet. Just different weights depending on case size. 308 is a fairly small case and is considered short action. 270/30-06/300 winmag are longer cases (hold more powder to handle heavier bullets) and are called long action. Stay away from long action for this gun. You don’t need it.

7mm-08 is a 7mm bullet (smaller than 30cal) in a 308 case. So it’s a little lighter and faster.

6mm creedmoor is a 6mm bullet in a 6.5 creedmoor case. 6mm is a little smaller and faster.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So if I was looking for a modest bolt action hunting rifle- say in a .270 or 6.5 creedmoor or similar, what is the difference in the $500 gun vs the $800 gun vs the $1500 gun?  Weight?  I can’t imagine capacity is a big deal on a hunting rifle. 

Range and weight.  Under 200-300 yards.  No discernable differences.  Out to 700+, there are differences in the tolerances.  

It's all about the purpose as stated above.  Sitting in a blind or tree stand <200yds.  Weight and accuracy are not as big factors.  Hiking into the back country on an elk/goat hunt, it matters a lot.  

What is the target?  Deer-sized animals?  I LOVE the 7-08mm.  <500yds it outperforms the vaunted 6.5CM and can stabilize a heavier grain bullet

Keep in mind, the scope is equally if not more important.  Can't hit what you can't see.  If the option was a marginal rifle with a great scope or a great rifle and a marginal scope - I'll take the former.  Modern rifle quality is fantastic these days.

EX.  The new Ruger American Gen II checks 99% of the boxes for most hunters.

• synthetic stock
  • fluted barrel (slight weight savings)
  • tapped for a muzzle brake and/or a suppressor
  • multiple caliber options
  • detachable box mag - meaning you don't have to work the bolt to unload each round individually if you want to have different ammo types in the field.  Eject one round, drop the mag, insert, chamber = done.  
  • Price:  $600+

Sexy bitch right here

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Think about availability of ammunition too.. I use a CZ 30-06 I bought about 20 years ago for bigger whitetail and muleys and such. I use a 30-30 for hill country deer. But I'm old fashioned and haven't kept up with the latest and greatest... Maybe look into .270? Another old round... I'm prepared to be negged on this thread.. lol. 

I will NEVER give up my pre-64, Model 70 featherweight .270 built in 1952.  It still groups 130gr Winchester Super-X rounds around 1.5 inches and molly-whops every deer that it meets.  Great, great round.  Considered a "wildcat" round back in the day.

Rifles haven't changed all that much in a 100 years.  Lock.  Stock.  Barrel.  That's it.  What has changed are the stock materials (synthetic), optics, and calibers.  Everyone gets twisted around the axle on caliber distinctions that don't mean much <500 yds on deer-sized game.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

7-08 or 243 would be my choice.   ‘06 ruining too much meat is stupid but I get it, their rules ((shot placements like EVERYTHING ELSE, being the key) center punch the shoulder with anything listed and let me know how much is not damaged)). The bigger knock on it, imo, would be potentially introducing bad habits into a new shooter - ‘06 takes some shoulder.  I have no idea how big your son is, but my narrow ass wasn’t ready for the -06 I used as a child, and it took a lot of shooting to unfuck some of those habits later.   

Imo, there is still a felt difference between a 500/800/1500 gun, but that’s not to say there aren’t a TON of good options in the lower-middle range now that used to not exist.  Get an $800 gun (Tikka/Bergara/etc) and put $750-1000 Leupold VX5 on it and keep for next 40 years.  Personally I think you need a 243 (or 3) before a 7-08 but both have killed many, many, many deer.  The kids on our lease all shoot 7-08’s, every last one of them. 

Eta: weight does factor into the cost, but not at that price point. Also, a “good weight” depends on what you’re going to be doing.  Strictly mountain hunting elk on long stalks, people will pay huge $$ to save those ounces.  A young kid that can hump around a slightly heavier rifle, not as big a consideration.  A heavier rifle will generally help you reduce felt recoil, although there’s exceptions both ways.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This.  I have killed more deer with my 22-250 than any other rifle/caliber

My searches these days are .222, .17 rem (not for deer), and .410/28 gauge sxs’s.    When something really nice pops up, I snag it (lost a bid on a great bob a few weeks ago :( ).   My collection of shoulder crushing wbys and other assorted magnums will have to collect dust until I can convince the wife we should do Africa.  *note - I still love my .257wby more than anything else I own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I wouldn't let a kid  shoot a deer with that rifle unless they demonstrated great marksmanship cause you'll be chasing wounded deer all evening, no?

100%.  "I" have killed more - not him.  He shoots the .270 for that very reason.  Gives him a larger margin of error.  Most blinds are <100yds, so I can take neck shots all day.  They all drop like a puppet with their strings cut.  

22-250 is a heavy barrel Ruger.  From a blind, it's surgical.  I "could" take head shots, but for ethical reasons I just take an easy neck shot - mostly does and let the boy chase horns.  If I'm at a friends place or moving about, I always take the .270

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dignan said:

I was curious as to what the longest confirmed kill was. Holy hell. I saw it was a “4,156 yard kill
With a Horizon’s Lord anti-materiel rifle.” Well, that made me more curious….

https://sites.google.com/view/horizonslord/horizons-lord

Man. What a beast.

At that point.   You’re lobbing rounds in to the air and walking them in on target.  

On 8/25/2024 at 11:13 AM, Armybrat said:

What Reagan said.

Those old pump action .22 rifles are nice heirloom treasures if they’ve been treated right.

My brother collects Winchester 1890s, 1906s, 61s, & 62s. 
That’s an expensive hobby.

405$$IMG_1708.jpeg

One of my favorite guns to shoot ever. I think this one is a late 40s model 62. I looked it up at one point years ago. I think 1946 maybe. The boys always beg to shoot it. 

20240916_193104.thumb.jpg.e0e4f01f226e9f118a288ffc4162686d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

One of my favorite guns to shoot ever. I think this one is a late 40s model 62. I looked it up at one point years ago. I think 1946 maybe. The boys always beg to shoot it. 

20240916_193104.thumb.jpg.e0e4f01f226e9f118a288ffc4162686d.jpg

My father has one similar to that, but I haven't seen it in years and years.

My favorite to shoot is a Stevens Favorite No. 17.  I dare you to shoot $5 worth of .22 in a day.  It'll take forever.   But it makes every shot an investment

stevens.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&widt

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dignan said:

I was curious as to what the longest confirmed kill was. Holy hell. I saw it was a “4,156 yard kill
With a Horizon’s Lord anti-materiel rifle.” Well, that made me more curious….

https://sites.google.com/view/horizonslord/horizons-lord

Man. What a beast.

12.7х99NATO, 12.7x108, 12.7x114“HL”, 14.5x114, 23x115mm  Lulz. 

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

My favorite .22 rifle to shoot was the Winchester Model 67 single shot. 
Grandson owns it now, as well as the Model 9422XTR

IMG_2362.jpeg

I’m a huge fan of old rimfire rifles. Here are a few of my favorites. Two Remington 40x’s, and a perfect condition Remington 513t. The yellow rifle wearing a Don Stith stock was one of my competition rifles. The 513 is stamped US Property and has that gorgeous grey parkerized finish without a single flaw. And with it’s original 75 sight. 

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5357.jpeg

IMG_5358.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1