The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

And for those that enjoy the 22.250. Here is a pre 64 controlled feed action (1961) Winchester Model 70, with a Douglas heavy (I’m talking real heavy……28” long tube and 1” at the muzzle). In an extremely difficult to find Boyd’s Varminteer stock with the Cadillac vents and Jewel trigger. It’s wearing a Millet scope, but I’ll probably replace it with a Nightforce I swap around from rifle to rifle. At almost 18-1/2 lbs almost no recoil is felt. 

IMG_5359.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, locodos said:

My father has one similar to that, but I haven't seen it in years and years.

My favorite to shoot is a Stevens Favorite No. 17.  I dare you to shoot $5 worth of .22 in a day.  It'll take forever.   But it makes every shot an investment

stevens.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&widt

Falling and rolling-blocks are just so cool.

• Hook 'Em 3

I wanted to share this one because it puts to rest that you must spend a lot of money to have a highly accurate rifle. 
I came up shooting with Tony Boyer and Kenny Jarrett. Probably the best marksman I have ever had the privilege of shooting against. If you ever followed the benchrest circuit you know Tony……no one beat Tony, no one.
Kenny was good but went on to building his own rifles, if you ever see one you’ll know they are high quality, but nasty expensive.

I say all that to qualify my remarks regarding accurate rifles. I know what they should be capable of. What you see in this photograph is a Savage receiver ($200) in .308. Which is not a benchrest cartridge. A Kreiger barrel ($450 bought years ago) in a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum chassis inside a fiberglass outer and dipped. If memory serves it was around $300 when I bought it. It carries a 45x Leupold scope. 
OK, that was overly expensive, but I’m old and need the extra power. It will shoot a clover at 200 meters. With my handloads I can group three shots inside of .475. For comparison my competition rifles are all in 6ppc and shoot close to .250 if I’m having a good day. However they cost outrageously more money for that very slight improvement. I have a lot of rifles that are really nice, but this is one of my favorites because I built it, and it shoots. 

IMG_5360.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, locodos said:

My favorite to shoot is a Stevens Favorite No. 17.  I dare you to shoot $5 worth of .22 in a day.  It'll take forever.   But it makes every shot an investment

That’s a wonderful rifle!

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I don’t have one in rimfire. But I have this 1885 Browning in 45-70. I love these actions. 

IMG_5362.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Here is my current project. A BSA International Mark IV. I had to source out a buttstock as it came to me in the left handed version. 
The barrel is in good shape, as is the furniture. The bluing is ok considering the age. I’m hoping when done it will shoot. I was shocked to find that the original Parker peep sight goes for several hundred dollars. So that will take some hunting around. 

IMG_5363.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Here is my current project. A BSA International Mark IV. I had to source out a buttstock as it came to me in the left handed version. 
The barrel is in good shape, as is the furniture. The bluing is ok considering the age. I’m hoping when done it will shoot. I was shocked to find that the original Parker peep sight goes for several hundred dollars. So that will take some hunting around. 

IMG_5363.jpeg

Super cool - keep us updated with lots of pics

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hamttx said:

I wanted to share this one because it puts to rest that you must spend a lot of money to have a highly accurate rifle. 
I came up shooting with Tony Boyer and Kenny Jarrett. Probably the best marksman I have ever had the privilege of shooting against. If you ever followed the benchrest circuit you know Tony……no one beat Tony, no one.
Kenny was good but went on to building his own rifles, if you ever see one you’ll know they are high quality, but nasty expensive.

I say all that to qualify my remarks regarding accurate rifles. I know what they should be capable of. What you see in this photograph is a Savage receiver ($200) in .308. Which is not a benchrest cartridge. A Kreiger barrel ($450 bought years ago) in a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum chassis inside a fiberglass outer and dipped. If memory serves it was around $300 when I bought it. It carries a 45x Leupold scope. 
OK, that was overly expensive, but I’m old and need the extra power. It will shoot a clover at 200 meters. With my handloads I can group three shots inside of .475. For comparison my competition rifles are all in 6ppc and shoot close to .250 if I’m having a good day. However they cost outrageously more money for that very slight improvement. I have a lot of rifles that are really nice, but this is one of my favorites because I built it, and it shoots. 

IMG_5360.jpeg

I have limited experience with the long distance shooting, but enough to have mad respect for what it takes to make those shots.  I did some training with a friend that is on the SWAT team at a small town in Alabama.  Their range only went out to 400yds - which is about twice as long as you'd need in most urban situations, but he had me dialed in pretty quickly and man, it's so much fun.  We were knocking bottle caps off water bottles all afternoon.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sith_horn said:
On 9/16/2024 at 2:44 PM, BabaYaga said:

Unless they were OLD school and someone had a .257 Robert lying around.....;)

Pops had a Remington 722 vintage 1948 so chambered. Sweet rifle and cartridge to shoot. An ideal choice except availablity.

Ha, speak of the devil ... Ruger Hawkeye Standard - 257 Roberts _ Sports South Distributor Exclusive

Too bad Ruger has curtailed the standard hawkeye offerings. If this were in left-hand, I'd be tempted.

$50/box of 20 Hornady Superformance 117gr SSTs, $64 Nosler Trophy 110gr Accubonds at MidwayUSA ... Ouch.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Ha, speak of the devil ... Ruger Hawkeye Standard - 257 Roberts _ Sports South Distributor Exclusive

Too bad Ruger has curtailed the standard hawkeye offerings. If this were in left-hand, I'd be tempted.

$50/box of 20 Hornady Superformance 117gr SSTs, $64 Nosler Trophy 110gr Accubonds at MidwayUSA ... Ouch.

My brother has g-fathers old pre-64 .257 Roberts in the shorter, heavier barrel.  Dammit I want that gun.....still has the original x4 Weaver scope on it.  

.257 "Carbine", I think they called it?

• Hook 'Em 1