The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

If any “hunter” is so unprepared and absentminded that they need a middle of the night ammo run to a vending machine then I’m gonna go ahead and say I’d prefer they not have access to that ammo. Or a firearm.

I’ve known of people that had to get ammo at the last minute for one reason or the other.

I’ve known of people that had to get ammo at the last minute for one reason or the other.

So have I, and I stand by my previous statement. My guns are dead on. My guns are cleaned after every heavy usage (season). And after every usage I know my ammo stock.

Being a responsible gun owner requires attention to every detail. If you run out of ammo and don’t know it, I feel like that’s exemplary of someone that doesn’t pay attention to detail. I’m not saying they’re a danger, but that’s dangerous behavior when around firearms.

I’ll never forget going to the range with my granddad and he dropped a bullet off the table. It landed into the gravel maybe 6” from the concrete we were seated on. I ducked down under the table (but 6” across the red line) and grabbed it. He commenced to chewing my ass up one side and down the other.

Years later I realized it wasn’t because of what I did that he chewed my ass; it was what he was afraid I was comfortable with doing that got me the ass chewing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Ended up getting a Savage mk II .22 so my kids can learn about bolt guns. Excited to dial them in on the gun and get them more practice. Will be fun suppressed I hope. I really want to steer them to more traditional guns and away from the stupid guns I like to buy.

With that said, tell me why I shouldn't get a CZ Scorpion for my 9mm suppressor... I looked into an MP5 clone but it just seems like alot of money for a gun I would shoot strictly at a dirt mound. Though I have been know to waste money on impulse buys.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ended up getting a Savage mk II .22 so my kids can learn about bolt guns. Excited to dial them in on the gun and get them more practice. Will be fun suppressed I hope. I really want to steer them to more traditional guns and away from the stupid guns I like to buy.

With that said, tell me why I shouldn't get a CZ Scorpion for my 9mm suppressor... I looked into an MP5 clone but it just seems like alot of money for a gun I would shoot strictly at a dirt mound. Though I have been know to waste money on impulse buys.

Which scorpion

Ahhem, I think the last phrase should read, “…current expenses and outlays, will be accretive to future earnings…”
  • Haha 1

Pistol, probably not the micro.

3+ I believe Gen 3 or whatever. Some updates from first gen or whatever - they are not my specialty but they’re good guns. I’ve almost bought one a few times but I’d rather have a rifle caliber in the same size right now so…..

I’d probably buy a grasshopper mouse over a scorpion because I like the name better lol.

On 7/10/2024 at 9:42 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

If any “hunter” is so unprepared and absentminded that they need a middle of the night ammo run to a vending machine then I’m gonna go ahead and say I’d prefer they not have access to that ammo. Or a firearm.

You've never forgotten something when you went on a trip? Even something important? Okay, blowhard.

Also, I like how you put "hunter" in quotation marks. "That guy is not a hunter. He forgot something."

Edited by BHMCruiser
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You've never forgotten something when you went on a trip? Even something important? Okay, blowhard.
Also, I like how you put "hunter" in quotation marks. "That guy is not a hunter. He forgot something."

I wasn’t aware that I should have placed a trigger warning before my post. My apologies.

As for the rest of your post, when going on a trip I check my oil, coolant, spare tire and tools everytime. If I forget something, it’s not the car keys or putting diesel in the tank that gets overlooked. Much like keys and fuel are a critical component of a road trip, so are bullets to hunting.

For the record, “they” can install those ammo vending machines anywhere practical & profitable if desired. 
If anyone chooses to give them their money for the convenience,, it ain’t any of my business. Go for it, but I won’t buy from them.

Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree here. I think these things are dumb, but forgetting something happens. Sure it’s a major component, but shit happens. I had a customer that forgot his ammo he had shipped for a hunting trip - so it was still in the shipping box on his table. He had fmj rounds, but no hunting loads.
  • Like 2

Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree here. I think these things are dumb, but forgetting something happens. Sure it’s a major component, but shit happens. I had a customer that forgot his ammo he had shipped for a hunting trip - so it was still in the shipping box on his table. He had fmj rounds, but no hunting loads.

And that’s perfectly fine. You’re entitled to your opinion just like I am. I don’t think any less of you as a poster than I did before reading your opinion that is different than mine. And we can most certainly agree that the things are dumb. And that shit happens. I just don’t think “shit happens” enough to warrant a need for these dumb things. At least in my experiences anyways
  • Fuck You 1

Shooting calibers that the local feed or grocery store (or gun shop sometimes) doesn’t carry fixed me of that as a child.  I’m pretty anal about it because I’m proper fucked if I forget the ammo at home.   I also don’t believe it makes you irresponsible, just rushing to get packed or overly excited about the upcoming trip 

On 7/12/2024 at 11:09 AM, Handcruser said:

Someone talk me out of a waypoint with the carbon fiber barrel in 6mm creed.

I'll bite.

Far be it from me to talk anyone out of buying a gun.  That said, given the request, it's a $2200 rifle for hunting deer and yotes with a glorified, more expensive, and harder to find .243 cartridge?  Or if precision distance shooting, it only has a 20" barrel and does not have a fully adjustable buttstock?  I'm reaching here.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Waypoint platform (and the Redline platform, too), and handling the long action variants at DSC earlier this year had me looking at them in 300WM.  You could go Seekins Havak for $350 less but no carbon. 

What's the purpose of the rifle?  I'm curious, because earlier this year, you suggested that I give the 6.5 PRC a hard look as a general purpose hunting rifle.

I'll bite.
Far be it from me to talk anyone out of buying a gun.  That said, given the request, it's a $2200 rifle for hunting deer and yotes with a glorified, more expensive, and harder to find .243 cartridge?  Or if precision distance shooting, it only has a 20" barrel and does not have a fully adjustable buttstock?  I'm reaching here.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Waypoint platform (and the Redline platform, too), and handling the long action variants at DSC earlier this year had me looking at them in 300WM.  You could go Seekins Havak for $350 less but no carbon. 
What's the purpose of the rifle?  I'm curious, because earlier this year, you suggested that I give the 6.5 PRC a hard look as a general purpose hunting rifle.

It’s about $1200 for me. Industry discount.

6.5 PRC is on the customer build docket for next year. This would just be a play gun for deer and yotes at the ranch and a 1000 yard target gun to practice with. I want minimum recoil.

I actually want a 6mm. Why a waypoint? I don’t know much about them? 

6 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I love the chassis
Carbon fiber all the way around
Guaranteed moa
Stupid light
Cool looking.

Do it. I’ll buy it from you if you don’t like it assuming it’s accurate. 

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Welp, I hope yall stocked up on ammo before today the last decade.

Ammo to gun spending has been 10:1 for last year at least.  Also passed on a lot of really cool shit I'd love to have in favor of things might not be able to have soon. The antiques are on the side burner for now. 

13 hours ago, Handcruser said:

It’s about $1200 for me. Industry discount.

ShouldHaveGunIndustryCatMeme.jpg.0391e7950e3107bfdbde184ab121c1c4.jpg

12 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I love the chassis
Carbon fiber all the way around
Guaranteed moa
Stupid light
Cool looking.

Can't argue there, either.  

doit-ben-stiller.gif.da54d37f8cca8a0f63d9384c783726e7.gif

• Like 1

The lower just shipped.
Upper ordered.
Mags shipped today.
Ammo identified.
Thermal… I’m considering… options.

So much to discuss.

Look at AGM. I just bought a rattler 35-386. They make a clip on that co-witnesses with your regular optic and I’m considering g getting one of those so I can move it from gun to gun.

What is your budget?
The lower just shipped.
Upper ordered.
Mags shipped today.
Ammo identified.
Thermal… I’m considering… options.

What lower. What upper?
Picked up this Griswold and Gunnison reproduction a few weeks back. $250 from Midway. 
ni31d6UQ_o.jpg

Nice!

15 hours ago, Handcruser said:

So much to discuss.

Look at AGM. I just bought a rattler 35-386. They make a clip on that co-witnesses with your regular optic and I’m considering g getting one of those so I can move it from gun to gun.

What is your budget?
What lower. What upper?

Re: lower and upper, you are going to be so disappointed in me.

PSA for both, with the upper being 12” 6.5 Grendel. This is a playful experiment.  I have a farm with a hog problem.  Long story short, I’m looking for a lightweight, maneuverable thermal rig (suppressed) I can use when I spot and stalk… and otherwise keep near me when out and about at night.  I already have a 308 digital NV rig for hunting feeders, and I need something more mobile and capable of CQB.  Engagement is usually 20-200 yards when just milling about the property.

Re: Thermals.  @cabowabo will have a POV here.  Max $4k.  Short list:

Pulsar Talions
AGM Adders
AGM Rattler TS35-640 2x-16
Infiray Bolt TL35 V2
Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro

The thermal I’m willing to invest good money in to last a long time (5yr).  The rifle platform is an experiment.  If I like the concept, I can do a quality build later if the PSA doesn’t hold up to moderate hunting.

ETA: lightweight and maneuverable is key for this mission

Edited by solamente73
  • Hook 'Em 1

PSA for both, with the upper being 12” 6.5 Grendel. This is a playful experiment.  I have a farm with a hog problem.  Long story short, I’m looking for a lightweight, maneuverable thermal rig (suppressed) I can use when I spot and stalk… and otherwise keep near me when out and about at night.  I already have a 308 digital NV rig for hunting feeders, and I need something more mobile and capable of CQB.  Engagement is usually 20-200 yards when just milling about the property.
Re: Thermals.  [mention=288]cabowabo[/mention] will have a POV here.  Max $4k.  Short list:
Pulsar Talions
AGM Adders
Infiray Bolt TL35 V2
The thermal I’m willing to invest good money in to last a long time (5yr).  The rifle platform is an experiment.  If I like the concept, I can do a quality build later if the PSA doesn’t hold up to moderate hunting.

Nothing wrong with PSA. I have a 12” grendel upper from them.

If you want a hookup for pulsar PM me.

^

You gave me some recs way up thread about 6 mos. ago.  Wife had already gone to the Range with a friend and that gal brought 2-3 pistols.  All Walther IIRC.  Anyway, wife didn't like them.  And didn't mention it again until this week.  You had some other recs.  But she's a little different (aka choosy).  

-She hunted a lot with her dad growing up, and is a decent shot, but that was 25 years ago.  She's done range time maybe a handful of times since.  

-She is 5'9" and has appropriately large hands...so a compact barrel and grip isn't really a necessity, in fact it's a net negative (she doesn't want to customize it and all that shit).  But she's got kinda frail arms in middle age so it's a balance of a comfortable grip for her but nothing that'll throw back her shoulders since she's losing muscle mass in middle age.  

-She has zero plans to carry it on her person (maybe secured in the vehicle someday, but that's a stretch).  This is merely for home protection when I'm not here because she can't access my handgun.  

So yeah, a delicate balance of "normal size" (basically her hand width and strength is that of an average 5'10" man of average athleticism in middle age).  But again her shoulders and chest muscles are starting to go downhill, so that's a factor.  And we'd store it safely obviously, but again concealed carry in her purse is not remotely a factor.  tl;dr---normal sized weapon for tall woman that will leave it at home, chest/shoulders getting sensitive, but still do some kinda damage if god forbid.  

What's are a few thoughts to resume this endeavor with her?  

• Like 1

^
You gave me some recs way up thread about 6 mos. ago.  Wife had already gone to the Range with a friend and that gal brought 2-3 pistols.  All Walther IIRC.  Anyway, wife didn't like them.  And didn't mention it again until this week.  You had some other recs.  But she's a little different (aka choosy).  
-She hunted a lot with her dad growing up, and is a decent shot, but that was 25 years ago.  She's done range time maybe a handful of times since.  
-She is 5'9" and has appropriately large hands...so a compact barrel and grip isn't really a necessity, in fact it's a net negative (she doesn't want to customize it and all that shit).  But she's got kinda frail arms in middle age so it's a balance of a comfortable grip for her but nothing that'll throw back her shoulders since she's losing muscle mass in middle age.  
-She has zero plans to carry it on her person (maybe secured in the vehicle someday, but that's a stretch).  This is merely for home protection when I'm not here because she can't access my handgun.  
So yeah, a delicate balance of "normal size" (basically her hand width and strength is that of an average 5'10" man of average athleticism in middle age).  But again her shoulders and chest muscles are starting to go downhill, so that's a factor.  And we'd store it safely obviously, but again concealed carry in her purse is not remotely a factor.  tl;dr---normal sized weapon for tall woman that will leave it at home, chest/shoulders getting sensitive, but still do some kinda damage if god forbid.  
What's are a few thoughts to resume this endeavor with her?  

I’d take her to a range that has guns for rent and load 5 rounds only and let her shoot. I’d look hard at Glock 19, HK VP9 and P30, SW 380ez, Ruger security 380, and maybe a Glock 48.

I would ignore the hand size issue or non-issue, and just focus on whatever feels good in her hand. Then shoot it.

will give that one a look as well.  

I think part of what rubbed her the wrong way was after they shot her friend's 1 or 2, the rental guy was just going on and on about "this one is great for ladies, small hands, perfect for a small purse."  And yeah, she doesn't need a revolver, and I get that's his training schtick...but dude look at her grip...she can't even keep her bottom two fingers dangling off the well and just told you she doesn't want to carry it out of the house.  She's a stickler for condescending service.  In the end, it's about you can shoot confidently more than anything else...but when the customer's hands are bigger than yours are, maybe at least just hear 'em out.    

We looked at SW 380, Ruger 380, and will add HK VP9 into the mix.  Maybe start there.  And go back for some of the others Handcruser mentioned.  

Can she rack the slide easily? That's the big question I would be asking. If not, revolvers are often underrated. They point better than most pistols. And if she is the type to train with it she can build the muscle memory to use one in single action mode while still retaining skill to shoot one double action. If she isn't, I would look for a 9mm striker gun that she has no problem operating. 

Beretta Storm Px4. 3 sizes, modular backstrap and easy to rack slide. My wife tried several of the options listed above and the Beretta was by far the easiest slide to manage.  She ended up with the compact version. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Can she rack the slide easily? That's the big question I would be asking. If not, revolvers are often underrated. They point better than most pistols. And if she is the type to train with it she can build the muscle memory to use one in single action mode while still retaining skill to shoot one double action. If she isn't, I would look for a 9mm striker gun that she has no problem operating. 

This

16 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Nothing wrong with PSA. I have a 12” grendel upper from them.

If you want a hookup for pulsar PM me.

How does that Grendel upper shoot, and using what ammo?  I'm hoping to get ~1.5MOA using the Hornady 123gr SST for hunting.

Will PM if I decide on a Pulsar.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:21 PM, solamente73 said:

Re: Thermals.  @cabowabo will have a POV here.  Max $4k.  Short list:

Pulsar Talions
AGM Adders
Infiray Bolt TL35 V2

All good thermals there.  If your total budget is $4k, then I'd look at getting a $2500 scope and a $1500 spotter/monocular.  You are not going to want to be looking for potential targets raising your gun up and scanning through your rifle scope.  That gets old real quick.  

• Hook 'Em 2

How does that Grendel upper shoot, and using what ammo?  I'm hoping to get ~1.5MOA using the Hornady 123gr SST for hunting.
Will PM if I decide on a Pulsar.

Shoots fine.

But the 90g nosler Armageddon is the tits. And I mean the tits. I have 300-400 rounds of the Sst and am buying the nosler stuff now.

5 hours ago, cabowabo said:

If your total budget is $4k, then I'd look at getting a $2500 scope and a $1500 spotter/monocular.  You are not going to want to be looking for potential targets raising your gun up and scanning through your rifle scope.  That gets old real quick.  

The need for a thermo monocular should be stressed more often.  I bought an ATN OTS-XLT 2-8x about 3 years ago, and it has served me very well as a supplement to my NV rig and just out and about at night on the farm.  I have not considered an upgrade, possibly because I don't know any better?

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Shoots fine.

But the 90g nosler Armageddon is the tits. And I mean the tits. I have 300-400 rounds of the Sst and am buying the nosler stuff now.

I'll check out the Nosler, though at first internet research glance, energy at distance might not work as well for pigs.

I'll check out the Nosler, though at first internet research glance, energy at distance might not work as well for pigs.

Well we shot a pig with at 75 yards and it blew the lungs out the other side.

What’s your typical distance?