The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 7/25/2024 at 7:31 PM, Handcruser said:

What’s your typical distance?

Treefiddy?  For this mission, it could be 20-200 yards depending on where I walk up on them.  Hence trying 6.5G on thermal - seems the right balance for what I encounter.  

Treefiddy?  For this mission, it could be 20-200 yards depending on where I walk up on them.  Hence trying 6.5G on thermal - seems the right balance for what I encounter.  

Infiray is good shit. 640 too. That’s a good deal.

Grendel 12” can handle that. That’s the limit though.

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Armybrat or other revolver guys - does anybody know where I could find a shoulder holster similar to this one locally in Central Texas? I'd like something like this for my single action and about the only thing I'm finding are on Etsy. 

image.thumb.png.06712f41f0ec6151deca869fc50647c9.png

Not many people make them because most people don't like them.  If you have issues carrying on your hip, get a chest harness like the big game hunters in AK wear.  

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not many people make them because most people don't like them.  If you have issues carrying on your hip, get a chest harness like the big game hunters in AK wear.  

Sorry responded to the wrong one!

I've got a friend that makes custom holsters. I'll ask him. My daughter is doing custom leather work too, thought I don't think she's done any holsters. I'll ask her too. 

Edited by Crapinon
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Armybrat or other revolver guys - does anybody know where I could find a shoulder holster similar to this one locally in Central Texas? I'd like something like this for my single action and about the only thing I'm finding are on Etsy. 

image.thumb.png.06712f41f0ec6151deca869fc50647c9.png

I've got a friend that makes custom holsters. I'll ask him. My daughter is doing custom leather work too, thought I don't think she's done any holsters. I'll ask her too.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You are 100% correct, but I'm vain and I like the way these look. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why don’t you like the ETSY ones? I’ve gotten some tremendously custom leather work off of ETSY. 

Because ETSY doesn't have a chat window where he can write "I'm a gunowner BUT here's a list of reasons why we should regulate guns and fuck the NRA...." 

Just kidding. Love you man

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BoomMF said:

FB_IMG_1722659637422.jpg.5419db2cd31e88904db515b1e62c5b36.jpg

They grabbed that dude off a dock and said get to Paris.

He may have just as well strolled out with a  Charter Arms snub nose and said “So my friend, which is my target.”

Turks need to make him the spokesperson for all their gun mfgs.  “Turkey- we know guns!”

Talk me into/out of buying a .22lr semi-auto pistol (like a Sig P322) or rifle/ar pistol (like a Tippman M4-22 shorty, H&K 416 or H&K MP5 (rifle or pistol.)  This would mostly be a range gun/toy.  With .22lr so much cheaper to shoot I've been thinking about adding one.   If I go the rifle route, ideally it would be something I could add a folding stock to.  

Talk me into/out of buying a .22lr semi-auto pistol (like a Sig P322) or rifle/ar pistol (like a Tippman M4-22 shorty, H&K 416 or H&K MP5 (rifle or pistol.)  This would mostly be a range gun/toy.  With .22lr so much cheaper to shoot I've been thinking about adding one.   If I go the rifle route, ideally it would be something I could add a folding stock to.  

FN502 pistol is the tits.

Bergara semi 22 with carbon fiber barrel is the tits.

FYI.

46 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I might suggest the plain pistol (P322, Mark IV,  SW22, Buckmark. etc.) if it's a range toy and you don't have land to plink on.  To my mind, only accurate weapons are good/fun paper punchers.  The other things might make fun piinkers and may be ok accurate, but shooting a decent .22 pistol will let you put a lot of lead downrange and improve your shooting of centerfire pistols, whereas I'm not sure the other things really contribute anything.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might suggest the plain pistol (P322, Mark IV,  SW22, Buckmark. etc.) if it's a range toy and you don't have land to plink on.  To my mind, only accurate weapons are good/fun paper punchers.  The other things might make fun piinkers and may be ok accurate, but shooting a decent .22 pistol will let you put a lot of lead downrange and improve your shooting of centerfire pistols, whereas I'm not sure the other things really contribute anything.

Kind of how I am leaning.   I shot a P322 the other day and enjoyed it.   Once I figured out to keep the 20 round mag from getting out of whack, it ran pretty well.   Double stack mags have a problem holding .22 rounds but it's doable.  The FN 502 is definitely on the list for pistols.   

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Kind of how I am leaning.   I shot a P322 the other day and enjoyed it.   Once I figured out to keep the 20 round mag from getting out of whack, it ran pretty well.   Double stack mags have a problem holding .22 rounds but it's doable.  The FN 502 is definitely on the list for pistols.   

I really like my Mark IV LIte. 

• Like 1

Look I need to apologize here. I totally forgot to mention the Taurus tx22. IMO it is the best deal in 22 land but I really like the FN502 and I hate FN. The 502 is that good - but the Taurus is fantastic at 60% of the price.

Part of the reason I like the 502 is for training - safety and hammer fired. So I get to work on things I might not work on with day a Glock 19. The controls kind of mirror my Staccato.

Learning to draw, clear malfunctions, index, transition, holster, etc and shoot cheap recoil-less 22 is nice - more practice and less fatigue.

Both have threaded barrels.

So while the Buckmark and Mark IV might be chosen for an accuracy need, the 502 and TX22 would be chosen for practical purposes - namely training.

I would also advise to find a course where you’re shooting steel on the move. It is so much fun - total game changer.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Ruger.  All other answers are wrong.....;)

Building a Custom 10/22 Takedown | An Official Journal Of The NRA

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Ruger.  All other answers are wrong.....;)

Building a Custom 10/22 Takedown | An Official Journal Of The NRA

Did you buy this as-is, or is this a Frankenstein job?  I'm considering a 10/22 takedown, and this one is about dead on what I would like for it to look like.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

Did you buy this as-is, or is this a Frankenstein job?  I'm considering a 10/22 takedown, and this one is about dead on what I would like for it to look like.

I wish.  My Google-Fu is quite strong.  Mine is a laminated, heavy wood stock with a fluted barrel.  I've had so many over the years.  My favorite plinking .22lr is my Henry Golden Boy

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Get a 10/22 Charger and put a folding, ahem, brace on it.  It’s a nutria killing machine. 

Here’s one I haven’t seen before…a factory takedown Charger:

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns/ruger-charger-takedown-22lr-10-inch-15rd.html

IMG_3718.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Cool of the charts- “The Marshfield Find” Winchester 1886 mint condition that was found in an attic still unboxed in original shipping crate.

Up for sale in 2 weeks, but even if you’re short on cash this month it’s worth a look and fascinating to see.

If you love old guns and history in general, this is well done and worth 13 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Here is an interesting Colt being offered at the Rock Island Gun Auction mentioned in Reagan’s video:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/4092/3112/the-man-who-shot-liberty-valance-colt-single-action-amy-revolver

That Colt used by Lee Marvin in the Liberty Valance film was originally shipped to Petmecky’s Sporting Goods (on Congress Avenue) in Austin in 1885. 
The first handgun I bought for myself is this Ruger Single Six - at Petmecky’s in 1959. I still have it in my safe:

IMG_1495.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1