Tulum, Mexico

Theo Aquacates

Posted (edited)

10 years ago was the last time the kids and I went.  We rented a condo in Akumal and drove all over the area.  We did several day trips to Tulum where we spent the day at one of the beach clubs, and then got cleaned up and changed clothes for dinner that evening.  The beaches were great, it wasn't overcrowded, and definitely not over priced.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

Isla Holbox is the old Tulum, but probably not for much longer. The first Marriott property has arrived. 

Holbox is on the Gulf and has Gulf beaches/ocean. I'd rather go to South Padre than Holbox.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:24 PM, CHIEF said:

Don't go in using your same account. Create a new one, or if a family member has an account have them look up flights. Airlines and travel sites are notorious for pulling that shit. Its a tactic to make you go ahead and book to avoid the prices going up again. Ask me how I know. We have three accounts to look at, mine, my wife, and my son.

And yeah, those transfer fees are absolutely insane. I think ours was like $150 total from Cancun, roundtrip, two adults and a child.

CHIEF

Thanks. I went back in and was able to get the old rates, but only for Spirit/Sun Country/Frontier going to Cancun. I was able to get American at the old rates to Tulum. So fuck it, I'm out a couple hundy for the ride to/from I guess. 

It happened to us several times. If I were some of the higher end places, I would be plenty pissed. We had an amount we wanted to spend, would have stayed at that resort, but the price went up $1200. So we did the logical thing and dropped our expectations to not stay at their resort to get something in our price range. 

CHIEF

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, threesheets said:

Thanks. I went back in and was able to get the old rates, but only for Spirit/Sun Country/Frontier going to Cancun. I was able to get American at the old rates to Tulum. So fuck it, I'm out a couple hundy for the ride to/from I guess. 

Keep in mind that's the price for 2 passengers. If you're taking the whole family, it'll be more.

image.thumb.png.ab809230a4da71dc1361ebea96110ba5.png

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Haha 1

We flew into Tulum at the beginning of the month. Flying to Tulum saved us $1,000 for the four of us so it covered the $200+ cost of the car to Playa.

The new airport is great, not as much of a shitshow as CUN and immigration was a breeze. They were still sorting out the car rental situation and there was an hour long line to get your car (only Hertz and no Golf desk).

2 hours ago, threesheets said:

@rage-a-holic The $206 was a r/t quote. Should I be skeptical?

That's about what you should pay with them for a Cancun/Playa RT shuttle. I would just verify that they're allowed to pick up at the Tulum airport.

That airport is doing the same BS that Cozumel and other small Mexican airports do, where they grant exclusive transport rights to a single shuttle company and taxis/Uber/transfers are not allowed to pick up on airport grounds. In Cozumel, you have to drag your luggage 1/4 mile from the airport before a taxi will pick you up.

The food at the hotel was overpriced, but we expected that. But the food outside the hotel along the beach was not good and over-priced. We went to a restaurant our last night and it was easily $180 without drinks. A few simple lunches (think sandwiches) were easily $60.

Where did you eat? We’ve had some excellent meals in Tulum. I have no doubt there are bad places like anywhere else, but there are also some really good places.

Yes, Tulum is somewhat expensive. People should probably expect that by now. If anyone is looking for a cheap Mexico vacation, Tulum is not the place for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Trip was awesome and went off without a single hitch. @Jimbaround- you were spot on re: TQO. Maybe the smoothest airport experience ever. Only complaint I had was there isn't really anywhere to eat when you're flying out. Carl's Jr. and a Mexican place was pretty much it. 

Transfer to Puerto Aventuras was a legit $239 r/t before tip. Canada Transfers. Will use them again. 

Really enjoyed our stay at Barcelo Maya Palace. That hotel sits on a fairly rocky cove, but once you get a few feet out into the water it's all soft sand. We got to swim with the sea turtles every day, which made the trip for my wife and kids. So cool. They just swim right up and will eat out of your hand. And if you're staying at the Palace you have access to the other 4 Barcelo resorts, so you can just walk down the beach a bit to get away from the rocks. It wasn't an issue for us. 

We made reservations at three different restaurants, and all were really good. Surprisingly good. I'm used to being underwhelmed at AI resort restaurants, to put it lightly. Buffet was decent, with some sleeper dishes (sopes were greatness).

Only a couple of issues, but they were small. No private bar on the beach like you get with Diamond Club at Royalton. No drink service at all on the beach actually. But there were no lines for drinks at all, so no big deal. We didn't even bother upgrading to premium. Only real perk with that was no-charge room service. The other thing we didn't like was there's no poolside grill serving burgers, dogs, etc. To eat pretty much anything you had to go to a buffet and get a table. 

Thanks for the tips.

IMG_20240630_151927.jpg

20240626_125750.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stayed in Akumal a few days ago like we always do, bouncing from cenote to cenote. Went to Tulum, and it's insane how much it's blown up even just since we were there two years ago. Fucking overrun with dipshit hipster dufuses & wannabe social media stars.