The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:
  Hide contents
  1. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in an episode.

2. They are played by the same actor and actress as Melkor/Morgoth and Ungoliant from Episode 1.

From the new trailer, Tom Bombadil is featured. I'm thinking the rest of the leak is correct. The leak implies that Bombadil is Morgoth, which is a giant WHAT THE FUCK!

I want to watch this new season just to see how they fuck up the whole lore. 

Lots of spoilers.  And it sounds great to me.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/story/tom-bombadil-the-rings-of-power-first-look

• Drool 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Tom Bombadil sighting!

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Inject Fran Healy GIF by Travis

for the less initiated among us...where in that trailer is Tom Bombadil? is it the one talking to (presumably) gandalf?

Edited by sidis

34 minutes ago, sidis said:

for the less initiated among us...where in that trailer is Tom Bombadil? is it the one talking to (presumably) gandalf?

Yes. Per nerd wiki:

Tom Bombadil appeared as an old man, at least to Hobbit eyes, with a wrinkled and ruddy face, bright blue eyes, and a bristling brown beard. He was said to be taller than a typical Hobbit, but too short to be a Man, which would put him somewhere between four and a half and five feet in height.

His clothing consisted of a blue jacket and yellow boots, and he wore an old and battered hat, surmounted by a feather. He seems to have preferred to wear a swan-feather in his hat, but before he met Frodo and company on the banks of the Withywindle, he had acquired the feather of a kingfisher instead. In his own house, rather than a hat, he wore a crown of autumn leaves.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Fixed.  Those folks have learned that being contrarian and bashing something that’s popular gets you more clicks.

I don’t watch Nerdrotic but Drinker seems pretty consistent. What popular stuff has he bashed?

Trailer finally out, mostly. Out on Christmas Day in theaters.

Spoiler

New Line Cinema’s original anime feature “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” returns audiences to the epic world brought to life in “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, based on the revered books by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Under the direction of award-winning filmmaker Kenji Kamiyama (the “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” and “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex” TV series), the talented voice cast is led by Brian Cox (“Succession”) as Helm Hammerhand, the mighty King of Rohan; Gaia Wise (“A Walk in the Woods”) as his daughter Héra; and Luke Pasqualino (“Snowpiercer”) as Wulf. Miranda Otto, who delivered an unforgettable, award-winning performance in “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, reprises her role as Éowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan, who serves as the tale’s narrator. The voice ensemble also includes Lorraine Ashbourne (Netflix’s “Bridgerton”), Yazdan Qafouri (“I Came By”), Benjamin Wainwright (“World on Fire”), Laurence Ubong Williams (“Gateway”), Shaun Dooley (“The Witcher”), Michael Wildman (“Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw”), Jude Akuwudike (“Beasts of No Nation”), Bilal Hasna (“Sparks”) and Janine Duvitski (“Benidorm”).

Set 183 years before the events chronicled in the original trilogy of films, “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” tells the fate of the House of Helm Hammerhand, the legendary King of Rohan. A sudden attack by Wulf, a clever and ruthless Dunlending lord seeking vengeance for the death of his father, forces Helm and his people to make a daring last stand in the ancient stronghold of the Hornburg— a mighty fortress that will later come to be known as Helm’s Deep. Finding herself in an increasingly desperate situation, Héra, the daughter of Helm, must summon the will to lead the resistance against a deadly enemy intent on their total destruction.

With Kamiyama at the helm, the original feature is being produced by Oscar winner Philippa Boyens, from the screenwriting team behind “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” Trilogies, alongside Jason DeMarco and Joseph Chou, who, in addition to their many separate animation projects, collaborated on the “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” series. The executive producers are Fran Walsh, Peter Jackson, Sam Register, Carolyn Blackwood and Toby Emmerich. The screenplay is by Jeffrey Addiss & Will Matthews and Phoebe Gittins & Arty Papageorgiou, story by Addiss & Matthews and Boyens, based on characters created by J.R.R. Tolkien. The team of creative collaborators returning from “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy also includes Oscar winners Alan Lee and Richard Taylor, along with esteemed Tolkien illustrator John Howe.

A New Line Cinema Presentation, a Warner Bros. Animation / Sola Entertainment Production, “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim,” will be distributed theatrically worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, released in cinemas nationwide on December 13, 2024, and internationally beginning 11 December 2024.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The early reviews have been a roller coaster from “it fucking sucks, too more lore ruins the story” to “wow this is amazing and so much better than season 1”

Edited by Js1

Ok. I had never watched this series as after seeing a lot of bad press/reviews on “The WheeL of Time” adaptation, I just didn’t want to see a shitty LOTR show. 

Have been on trip to Milwaukee, had shit all to do last night and started it and I am in. 

Grabbed me from start, enjoying Galadrial as a bad ass storyline, do think Elrond looks like he is made of wax but all in all I am. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Ok. I had never watched this series as after seeing a lot of bad press/reviews on “The WheeL of Time” adaptation, I just didn’t want to see a shitty LOTR show. 

Have been on trip to Milwaukee, had shit all to do last night and started it and I am in. 

Grabbed me from start, enjoying Galadrial as a bad ass storyline, do think Elrond looks like he is made of wax but all in all I am. 

Buckle up Buttercup.

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I rewatched the whole season in preparation for S2. Everything clicks better with the second viewing, and a lot of common criticism just dont stick -- probably something to do with how we process things the first time around when everything is brand new.

The whole Numenor thing wasn't too much of a diversion. Harfoots didnt bother me as much. Though the 3 witches were definitely weird, and their hokeyness didn't jive with the rest of the foes. Galadriel remains a babe.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I rewatched the whole season in preparation for S2. Everything clicks better with the second viewing, and a lot of common criticism just dont stick -- probably something to do with how we process things the first time around when everything is brand new.

The whole Numenor thing wasn't too much of a diversion. Harfoots didnt bother me as much. Though the 3 witches were definitely weird, and their hokeyness didn't jive with the rest of the foes. Galadriel remains a babe.

Watching them all in a row definitely made it watch better.  I agree - clicked way better with a second viewing

First 3 episodes dropped  - 77 min, 63 min, 67 min

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

The early reviews have been a roller coaster from “it fucking sucks, too more lore ruins the story” to “wow this is amazing and so much better than season 1”

I've seen a bunch of shitty reviews. 

Which would dissuade me if there weren't a bunch of shitty reviews for S1.

The worst thing about this world is the fucking names. Say what you want about GRRM but he was very good at inventing names that were easy to pronounce and remember.

Tolkien is all Gwyyndwethior marched towards Morigatqypkk with the Akkcvbnm wizard, Onegiop’zeriiy, at his side.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The worst thing about this world is the fucking names. Say what you want about GRRM but he was very good at inventing names that were easy to pronounce and remember.

Tolkien is all Gwyyndwethior marched towards Morigatqypkk with the Akkcvbnm wizard, Onegiop’zeriiy, at his side.

Well he was a linguist and made up multiple languages in their entirety.  GRRM was just all about sister fucking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

its based on welsh which is just a stupid language

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

GRRM isn’t qualified to hold Tolkien’s pen for him.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The worst thing about this world is the fucking names. 

What? You can't keep Fingolfin, Finarfin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Finduilas and Findis apart in your mind? What about Hador, Haldar, Haldir, Halmir, Haleth, Hareth, and Huor?

Like someone said- he's trying to create this all out of nothing, so it would make sense that there'd be overlap (particularly when that shows lineage). But I agree that there are a ton of names to try to remember... seems like there's a Sil-million of them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

I fucking hated The Hobbit movie (have never re-watched it after initial viewing) because PJ needlessly added shit, characters, and romantic drama for his own ego bullshit. That was a rounding error compared to the bullshit that this series does to Tolkien's works.

I mean if you can completely ignore or have never read Tolkien's works, this would probably be enjoyable. Sadly I can't/don't fall into either camp. Motherfucker, this shit is hard to watch.

Spoiler

Orc families. I'm out.

Orcs aren't evil. They are just misunderstood.

• Haha 1

Finished all 3. I’m quite happy. 

Spoiler

Very excited about the dark wizard in Rhun. That has to be a blue wizard right?

Seems like i saw blue markings analogous to how Saruman used white markings.

I wouldn’t be surprised if these are the 2 blue wizards that then become Saruman and Gandalf.

Seems kind of strange that they are doing the easier rings after the harder rings, like what does annatar have to teach celebrembor now?

44 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Seems like i saw blue markings analogous to how Saruman used white markings.

I wouldn’t be surprised if these are the 2 blue wizards that then become Saruman and Gandalf.

Seems kind of strange that they are doing the easier rings after the harder rings, like what does annatar have to teach celebrembor now?

He probably just wants to be involved to warp them (more). Also he still has to make the One, right?

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

He probably just wants to be involved to warp them (more). Also he still has to make the One, right?

Yeah the Elves made a big stink about whether he touched the rings or not. And then they show him fingering the mithril for the dwarf rings before he dropped it in so he could control their rings