Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

It’s been chilly here the last few mornings…low 40’s

One of the first signs of Fall are the high bush cranberries starting to ripen and it’s leaves turning red

Might be an early Winter

IMG_8543.jpeg

Weren't you just eating barbecue in Abilene the other day?

Edited by Braff Zacklin

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 9:23 AM, BabaYaga said:

How many Yellowstone tourists have to be flipped into the air by bison for people to realize that they are not to be messed with.  

Whatever the limit I hope we never get there, as I find it to be good wholesome entertainment. Something the entire family can laugh about. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Termination Dust at elevation on the hills this morning.  First snow of the year on Aug 10.  43 degrees at the cabin.  Looking more and more like an early Fall/Winter.  The trees are just starting to turn too.

Hoping the cooler weather gets down to most of y'all soon.

My great uncle’s North Dakota homestead back in the day. It is now under 60’ of Lake Sakakawea

IMG_0965.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Your great uncle needed a haircut.

He couldn’t afford one. 
Too bad he didn’t know about the millions of $$$$ worth of oil two miles underneath his 260 acres. 
But I and his 20 other extended family descendants are grateful for it.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

Thank Christ.  The tourists will be leaving soon with all of their brand new plastic clothes 😂

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My great uncle’s North Dakota homestead back in the day. It is now under 60’ of Lake Sakakawea

IMG_0965.jpeg

Lots of old school cabins built back in the day look just like that, and are still standing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I can’t even comprehend snow in August. It feels like summer is just starting up in Austin

How long of a break without snow do you have?

To be clear, the snow this morning was on the very tip tops of the hills.  Nothing at ground level.

Snow can fall and stick any time in September, but it usually waits until the first part of October.  We had snow on the ground into late May this year, so 4 or maybe 5 months without snow.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mooseoutfront said:

Thank Christ.  The tourists will be leaving soon with all of their brand new plastic clothes 😂

Lots of old school cabins built back in the day look just like that, and are still standing.

The feds eminent domained his place in the late 1940s to build a series of large reservoirs along the Missouri River in western North Dakota. 
It was dammed up by the mid 1950s, eventually creating what is now Lake Sakakawea. 
Luckily, the feds forgot to take the mineral rights too, so the former landowners’ heirs inherited them. Turns out the area is in the sweet spot of the Bakken oil play (a small version of the Permian Basin). 
Prior to the lake filling up, several towns on Indian reservations had to be moved, plus a lot of farmers & ranchers were displaced along the 170+ mile section of the inundated river. 
Lewis & Clark would’ve been amazed too.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Hope you were using a telephoto lens for that shot.

Phone camera while sitting in the truck.  So many bears this year.  Love seeing the critters out doing their thing.

Those bears have what's called Toklat coloring, almost blonde on top with the dark legs.  Beautiful creatures.

• Hook 'Em 9

10 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Phone camera while sitting in the truck.  So many bears this year.  Love seeing the critters out doing their thing.

Those bears have what's called Toklat coloring, almost blonde on top with the dark legs.  Beautiful creatures.

This is as close to an Alaskan bear as I want to get….. 

(Walrus tusk items were collected by my Dad when he was stationed at Fort Richardson 1940-42)

464$$IMG_1867.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

This is as close to an Alaskan bear as I want to get….. 

(Walrus tusk items were collected by my Dad when he was stationed at Fort Richardson 1940-42)

464$$IMG_1867.jpeg

Those type of artifacts are hard to come by these days.  That's some valuable ivory.  Nice scrimshaw work on several.  Do you have an oosik in the collection?

Walrus is to this day the weirdest meat I've ever tasted.  The texture and consistency of roast beef, but tasted like fish.  My brain had a hard time processing that one.

3 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Those type of artifacts are hard to come by these days.  That's some valuable ivory.  Nice scrimshaw work on several.  Do you have an oosik in the collection?

Walrus is to this day the weirdest meat I've ever tasted.  The texture and consistency of roast beef, but tasted like fish.  My brain had a hard time processing that one.

No oosik. 
That collection which includes the 3 piece scrimshawed ivory handle carving set belong to my brother (the infant in Dad’s arms).
He was born at Fort Richardson in 1942 just before all military dependents were evacuated Stateside after the Japanese occupied Kiska & Attu. 
I didn’t come along until 1944 at Fort Benning, just before Dad was shipped out to France for the Bulge.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

A covey of spruce grouse just chillin in my driveway this morning on my way to work

IMG_8603.jpeg

Need a .12 gauge shooting 3 1/2”s with a skeet choke. Coulda got at least half of them. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

A covey of spruce grouse just chillin in my driveway this morning on my way to work

IMG_8603.jpeg

Those can be tricky little fuckers to find when you're looking for them. And when you're not, they're just hanging out in the middle of the trail (photo from Glacier NP).

No desire to shoot, just to see. Weird, I know.

20170702_121013.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

IMG_8603.jpeg

Are those quaking aspens in your driveway? Are those prevalent in your part of Alaska?

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Who left the shit stick in the driveway?

We had a helluva wind storm the night before. That was tree number two of the six that I had to chainsaw through in order to clear the road on my way out. 

My legacy on this board will be the shit stick story 😂

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Are those quaking aspens in your driveway? Are those prevalent in your part of Alaska?

Aspens everywhere in my part of Alaska. Also have white spruce, black spruce, and birch. The aspens and birch are lovely in the Fall with their golden leaves. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

We had a helluva wind storm the night before. That was tree number two of the six that I had to chainsaw through in order to clear the road on my way out. 

My legacy on this board will be the shit stick story 😂

If anyone deserves a "Shit Stick Surly" title on his thread info, it's this guy!

On 8/16/2024 at 4:24 PM, mooseoutfront said:

IMG_8603.jpeg

So, I'm not a hunter, but I do read Joe Pickett novels.  Is a Spruce Grouse very different from a Sage Grouse? 

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, I'm not a hunter, but I do read Joe Pickett novels.  Is a Spruce Grouse very different from a Sage Grouse? 

You guys are really daring me to turn this into another bird thread. As BrickTop mentioned sage grouse are larger, and along with prairie chickens are grassland birds. Spruce, ruffed, dusky Grouse are all more of woodland birds. The grassland grouse populations are in dire straits, while the woodland species are generally OK and I believe can be hunted.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/18/2024 at 8:20 PM, mooseoutfront said:

One of the first signs of Fall are the high bush cranberries starting to ripen and it’s leaves turning red

Might be an early Winter

On 7/18/2024 at 8:39 PM, thunderlounge said:

An early fall would much welcomed. 

New York Waiting GIF by Muppet Wiki