Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

On 8/18/2024 at 1:23 PM, Bevo said:

Where is the nearest mexican food and can you grow tomatillos there?

Nearest Mexican food restaurants are in Fairbanks, but they suck. I make better Mexican food at home. 

My wife grows tomatoes in a greenhouse, so I’m assuming tomatillos are possible. 

On 8/18/2024 at 2:27 PM, ztejas said:

Are those the spruce on the other side of the train tracks?

Nature’s kerosene are what they are known as around here

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/17/2024 at 12:12 PM, mooseoutfront said:

Aspens everywhere in my part of Alaska. Also have white spruce, black spruce, and birch. The aspens and birch are lovely in the Fall with their golden leaves. 

Aspens are pretty when green or golden.  Love the shimmering leaves in the breeze.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Well folks, Fall has arrived in the North country. Leaves are changing color quickly. Fireweed is in the cotton stage. The snow is about half way down the hills. Was 36 degrees at the cabin this morning.

Bottle some of that up and send it to Houston.  It's miserable down here.

18 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Well folks, Fall has arrived in the North country. Leaves are changing color quickly. Fireweed is in the cotton stage. The snow is about half way down the hills. Was 36 degrees at the cabin this morning.

I'm came real close the the middle finger neg rep on this one as I sit here in DFW lol

4 hours ago, texashorne said:

I'm came real close the the middle finger neg rep on this one as I sit here in DFW lol

I completely understand

Mom texted me from Abilene about an hour ago and said her truck thermometer was reading 116 in her driveway

Fuck all that

23 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I completely understand

Mom texted me from Abilene about an hour ago and said her truck thermometer was reading 116 in her driveway

Fuck all that

71 where I am, but I have to leave the office in an hour.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Hiking through high grass like that always gives me pause.

Switched from carrying a .44 mag to a 10mm for bear protection about a year ago.  10mm is equivalent ballistically to a .41 mag.  17 rounds of 10mm vs. 6 rounds of .44 mag is why people are switching to the 10mm.  I'm sure those extra rounds proved pivotal in that close quarter situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Switched from carrying a .44 mag to a 10mm for bear protection about a year ago.  10mm is equivalent ballistically to a .41 mag.  17 rounds of 10mm vs. 6 rounds of .44 mag is why people are switching to the 10mm.  I'm sure those extra rounds proved pivotal in that close quarter situation.

What 10mm did you get again?

I carry both when out in bear country.  I would use the spray first. The gun is a last resort. In the situation above, the gun was the only choice.

One of my main goals living up here is to not shoot a bear.  Beautiful creatures that are just doing their thing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

On 8/20/2024 at 5:19 PM, mooseoutfront said:

I completely understand

Fuck all that

Pics of mom?

Sorry I’m a surly fuck

18 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I carry both when out in bear country.  I would use the spray first. The gun is a last resort. In the situation above, the gun was the only choice.

One of my main goals living up here is to not shoot a bear.  Beautiful creatures that are just doing their thing.

Assuming some people hunt bears up there?

If so - what are they usually using?

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Assuming some people hunt bears up there?

If so - what are they usually using?

Lots of bear hunters here. For black bears, anything you’d hunt a Texas whitetail deer with is plenty of gun. For grizzlies and brown bears, .30 caliber magnums are the standard. The .338 win mag is a very popular choice for bear and moose. The .375 H&H mag is also used frequently. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mooseoutfront said:

Lots of bear hunters here. For black bears, anything you’d hunt a Texas whitetail deer with is plenty of gun. For grizzlies and brown bears, .30 caliber magnums are the standard. The .338 win mag is a very popular choice for bear and moose. The .375 H&H mag is also used frequently. 

Yeah figured it had to be stuff .300 and up.

That's interesting on black bears - are their hides just not as tough?

Black bears are much smaller than brownies and grizzles in every way. Smaller boned, not as muscled, thinner hide. They also don’t have that “Fuck you!” attitude that grizzlies and browns have. 

Lots of folks eat black bears. I’ve had it once and didn’t care for it. Browns and grizzlies are just trophy kills. 

• Hook 'Em 1

May need to consider the 11mm. Or 20.

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

What load are you carrying? 220 BB?

Underwood coated 220 grain hard cast flat nose

Started out with buffalo bore 220, but always had failure to feed at about round 14 or 15

Found the Underwood coated 220 grain and haven’t had a failure to feed since

The coating also eliminates lead fouling so Glock shooters can use the hard cast bullets with their original polygonal rifled barrels