Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

On 9/23/2024 at 8:47 PM, mooseoutfront said:

Had to light the wood stove for the season. There will be a fire burning until late April or early May. Time to slide into winter. 

IMG_8764.jpeg

IMG_8766.jpeg

Sorry if already addressed, but how much wood did you stockpile to last you through the winter?

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I love the winter.  The tourists leave, the seasonal workers go away, the bugs are gone, my job slows way down.  The deep cold fascinates me.  It's so foreign and other worldly.  The snow covered woods are beautiful.  The Northern Lights are a common sight.  I really enjoy getting out and exploring on a snow machine.  It's a lot easier to get around when everything is frozen.  Alaska is basically a swamp.  The bears are asleep, so there is no worrying about critter safety and protocols.  There are negatives, but the positives outweigh them in my eyes.  It's a very peaceful, very simple life.

London's "White Silence."

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Sorry if already addressed, but how much wood did you stockpile to last you through the winter?

London's "White Silence."

We try to put up 10 cords a year. We usually only burn 7 to 8 cords. Can never have enough fire wood. 

London is a must read for me in the winter. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mooseoutfront said:

We try to put up 10 cords a year. We usually only burn 7 to 8 cords. Can never have enough fire wood. 

8X4X4.....times 8.  Damn.  That's a fair chunk of wood.  I'll see if I can dig up the pic of the wood that was stacked in the storage barn of a house in Norway we hiked by.  It was on a fjord, on the west coast, they obviously got some "winter" there.  Pic was taken in mid-summer, while they were still cutting and stacking.

2 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

How's that handled in Alaska? Do you permit for x amount of wood in a certain zone/area and cut up already prone deadfall, or are you allowed to fell your own timber?

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

How's that handled in Alaska? Do you permit for x amount of wood in a certain zone/area and cut up already prone deadfall, or are you allowed to fell your own timber?

If you cut on state land you are supposed to have a permit.  I've never done that, so I don't know how that works.  We cut wood around the "neighborhood."  We are technically cutting on private property, but no one is around or cares.  Most of the property around here will never be developed.  People bought 5 or 10 acres plots to have land in Alaska.  Most have never been up here to even see it.  We take problem trees, windfall trees, or standing dead.  If that's not enough for the season, we know a guy out here who owns several hundred acres.  He's given us permission to cut wood off of his property as long as it's for our private use.  He doesn't want us to cut wood to sell to other folks.

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here it is.  It was along the trail on a hike to some waterfall.  Nobody on the trail, just looked inside the open barn and realized shit....they get COLD round here.

c3bb1c55c6e242971a2f3115dbeb4b9b.jpg

That's money in the bank for us Northern dwellers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bear domestic violence. 

Fat Bear Week is back for its 10th anniversary, but the annual contest that celebrates brown bears and their healthy appetites was delayed after a bear in Alaska’s Katmai National Park killed another bear on a live webcam. 

Around 9:30 a.m. Alaska time Monday, the popular live webcam facing the Brooks River showed two bears fighting in the water. Bear 469, an older adult male, fought with – and eventually killed – Bear 402, an older adult female. 

"This is a difficult situation to witness," Explore.org’s resident naturalist Mike Fitz said in a YouTube video explaining the incident. "We love to celebrate the success of bears with full stomachs and ample body fat, but the ferocity of bears is real. The risks they face are real. Their lives can be hard and their deaths can be painful." 

Fitz said the camera didn’t show what, if anything, happened to cause the fight. After Bear 469 killed Bear 402, he dragged her body ashore. 

https://www.fox4news.com/news/fat-bear-week-2024-voting-bear-killed

2 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

How many hours of daylight up there now?

We’re getting a little over 10 hours currently. We will continue to lose light until the winter solstice, usually around December 20. That is the shortest day of the year when we have about 3 hours of daylight total. 

8 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

We’re getting a little over 10 hours currently. We will continue to lose light until the winter solstice, usually around December 20. That is the shortest day of the year when we have about 3 hours of daylight total. 

If I’ve learned anything from horror movies, this is the time to sharpen your stakes and prepare for the vampires to become more active and hungry. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...