Dumbass Shit We See On Facebook

Vic Mackey

That's too much of Virginia in Yellow, but yeah-southern Missouri isn't really the Midwest.  And I'd turn LA from Orange to Red, maybe even a slice of East Texas.  

fucking Florida...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I always thought Texas was Texas.

I know we are "In Spirit", but I don't really consider El Paso to have much in common with Port Arthur.  I think one is the Desert Southwest and the other is the 'Deep South.'  Same with Pampa with the RGV.  One is more of a Great Plains area, the other is not really 'The South', more like 'La Frontera.'  

51 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The South starts at Louisville.  

This is true.  I think you draw a line just on the outskirts of the South Side to Louisville.  One way to Richmond, VA, the other to Amarillo, and everything below is some version "The South"  

I remember wondering why it got so much colder in Oxford during the winter, but the springs and summers playing ball, were twice as humid as Houston, and four times as bad as Kerrville (where I grew up).
Pops explained it very quickly to me Xmas break of my freshman year. Oxford sits right on the Amarillo grid line. Sorry, just a nostalgic moment that learned me something once.

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I know we are "In Spirit", but I don't really consider El Paso to have much in common with Port Arthur.  I think one is the Desert Southwest and the other is the 'Deep South.'  Same with Pampa with the RGV.  One is more of a Great Plains area, the other is not really 'The South', more like 'La Frontera.'  

I think you could make this distinction everywhere.  Memphis isnt much like Knoxville.  Philadelphia - little different than the dutch country.

El Paso is Texas.  Port Arthur isn’t any less Texas.

Edited by CoTex
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well yes, there are massive gulches between different parts of a state in terms of geography, demography, and culture.  But Memphis and Knoxville are still all in 'the South.'  I think Texas is unique, obviously because of its vastness of size and people...actually belongs to 4 uniquely different "regions" of the United States.  No other state really has more than maybe 2.  Yes, they have cities and areas within their own borders, but nationally speaking, they're part of just the one region.  Boston is way different than far West Massachusetts, but it's all still "New England."  Chicagoland is extraordinarily different than down-state, but it's all still the Midwest.  Inland California compared to the coastal cities, night and day...but it's still the all 'The West'  

A line from New Mexico to Lubbock to Wichita Falls, everything north of that in our borders has way more in common with the Great Plains than it does with the rest of Texas.  El Paso with the Southwest.  And much of East Texas with the Deep South.  And the rest of Texas basically being just "The South."  Yes, it's all Texas.  No part of it is less than.  But it's a much larger divide than just New Orleans is different than Shreveport.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I sincerely 50% of U.S. citizens have been to 5 of those places, maybe 3.

60% of Americans don't have passports (which I realize you don't need to see those places, but it's indicative of how insular our citizenry is.

Average American has only visited 12 states, & 12% of Americans have never left the state they were born in.  

14% have never been in an airplane.  And nearly 20% will be born, live, and die having never traveled more than 300 miles from their hometown in any direction.  

We are not exactly the enlightened country Thomas Jefferson had in mind when he invented the $2 bill as our nation's 17th President.    

Wasn't Jefferson the guy who said "Seventy-six per cent of all statistics are made up"?

I believe you're thinking of our 6th President, Samuel Adams.  50/50 shot one of is right, though there's only a 10% chance of that.  

I'd really like to see that Wright Brothers Memorial.  But that's quite a trek to get out there.  Otherwise, I think I'm doing pretty good on that list.  

My daughter had to do a class project on our National Park System.  So she asked me about 'em and I still have the maps to everyone I've ever visited since I was a kid.  So we went through them all, it was really cool.  It reminded me of that old dig, "Yeah, Europe got the cathedrals and castles, but we got the National Parks."  But this goofy facebook post reminds me to make the girls two bucket lists for the U.S before they have their own children.  One, a list of natural sites (parks, oceans, etc.) and then another of man-made ones (skyscrapers, museums, etc.).  

I remember my cousin and two of his buddies rolling through Chicago when I was in junior high.  Between college and law school, their goal was to see a game in every major league stadium.  They stayed with us briefly and took me to both Wrigley and Comiskey in one day.  IIRC, they made about 20 and fell a bit short due to rainouts, etc.  But only one 'em was a big baseball fan, but it was their way of an excuse to map out seeing most of the country.  

But yeah, some of those manmade ones are such letdowns. 

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'd really like to see that Wright Brothers Memorial.  But that's quite a trek to get out there.  Otherwise, I think I'm doing pretty good on that list.

40 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But this goofy facebook post reminds me to make the girls two bucket lists for the U.S before they have their own children.  One, a list of natural sites (parks, oceans, etc.) and then another of man-made ones (skyscrapers, museums, etc.).

Consider a trip down the Outer Banks?

Start up around Duck, moving south, cross over to Ocracoke, stay a night and explore around, then down towards Cedar Island and down to Emerald Isle. Take a day trip over to bear island.

Tons of national parks, beaches, historic lighthouses, the works.

You could do a few days on the north end, from a central location, and see it all. Then a night on Ocracoke, then another central location in the Emerald Isle area and go around there. 

VRBO, hotel, camp, whatever fits your fancy.