Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

14 minutes ago, linux said:

There is such a thing as hedging your bets, another on throwing money away, its like he is betting the moneyline on the underdog but asking the house to keep the winnings if they do win.

Donald Trump will follow Russia in anything it wants, that is about as certain as the sun rises.

I think the real explanation is that the GOP congresscritters (who BTW lick benito's ass daily) demanded he do it if they want their votes.

Congress plays a part, but Trump is a vacuum, a sucking hole of self-obsession and narcissism devoid of any guiding feeling or principle other than Will They Say Good Things About Trump and Will Trump Win. 

I believe this also true of his relationship with VVP.  Trump is essentially un-blackmailable because he is devoid of shame.  You cannot “have something” on Trump that is worse than what Trump announces. He sometimes likes Putin because Putin is a Tough Guy who calls Trump “sir.”  If he can be convinced it’s better for Trump, he’ll back Ukraine. 

It was Trump and not Obama that first delivered lethal aid to Ukraine.  That’s not a defense of him, it’s simply that he’s thoughtless and someone told him it was a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/26/2024 at 3:08 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Why do you guys think Trump is Pro Putin?

1) Russian mafia money laundering ties from back in the day

2) Zelensky is supported by Biden and Kamala so in turn Zelensky is not an ally. Trump also got impeached over Ukraine.

3) Trump loves authoritarian dictators

4) All of the above 

5) Other

Always lead with the most venal and stupid reason. 2.  He associates Zelenskyy and Ukraine with People who Don’t Like Trump and Bad Things that Happened to Trump. 

He likes dictators but it’s in the way a six year old likes dinosaurs— they are big and scary and don’t have any rules.  He hasn’t thought more about it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The reason I disagree with this is that Putin is literally the one person whom Trump has NEVER spoken negatively of in public. Even the other dictators he clearly likes, like Xi and Kim, he'll still talk a bit of shit about sometimes (and used to before they paid him off with money/praise).  But not Putin. He's always been very careful to never say anything remotely negative about Putin.  And the photos after their meeting in Finland were clear, Trump looked fucking terrified after their meeting.  Putin absolutely has something on him that he'll do anything to keep secret. 

ETA: Trump didn't "deliver" lethal aide to Ukraine. Congress passed that with a veto-proof supermajority and Trump still held it up to try to extort Zelennskyy for his own personal ends. Once that went public and he couldn't really keep holding it up, his administration began delivering weapons but that was in spite of him, not because of him.

The Kremlin has been cultivating Trump for a long time and I imagine Putin has plenty of carrots and sticks in his psychological arsenal to manipulate Trump.  

Dude is a walking erection that constantly has money problems and is a complete imbecile.  Possibly the easiest mark of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I think that's a better hypothesis.  He knows he'll never get Trump to do the right thing, but some MAGA idiot congresscritters are still salvageable for his purposes (vote yes on weapons funding).

I think there is also a bit of "tell me to my face."  Trump might say something different when looking Z in the face.  Trump might also say something stupid (like "it takes two to tango") that would increase Harris's odds. At the very least, it puts Ukraine in the news and Z can't risk Americans forgetting about the war.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The reason I disagree with this is that Putin is literally the one person whom Trump has NEVER spoken negatively of in public. Even the other dictators he clearly likes, like Xi and Kim, he'll still talk a bit of shit about sometimes (and used to before they paid him off with money/praise).  But not Putin. He's always been very careful to never say anything remotely negative about Putin.  And the photos after their meeting in Finland were clear, Trump looked fucking terrified after their meeting.  Putin absolutely has something on him that he'll do anything to keep secret. 

ETA: Trump didn't "deliver" lethal aide to Ukraine. Congress passed that with a veto-proof supermajority and Trump still held it up to try to extort Zelennskyy for his own personal ends. Once that went public and he couldn't really keep holding it up, his administration began delivering weapons but that was in spite of him, not because of him.

I don’t put it out of the question, just don’t think it’s necessary.  Putin has also been the only one who has carefully and consistently played every note that Trump wants to hear while Xi and Rocket Man have not.  Down to the masterful “endorsement” of Harris.  Putin is a KGB man and is smart in a certain way. Manipulation of stupid, narcissistic Westerners is a core competency. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Dude is a walking erection that constantly has money problems and is a complete imbecile.  Possibly the easiest mark of all time. 

This is spot-on, and don't overthink it - although add "easily flattered and thus easily manipulated narcissist," that's an important element too.  If you were to go into a lab to create "the perfect mark to turn into an asset," the product would look almost exactly like Donald Trump.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Zelensky and Trump meet. Trump tries to go for the power play and stands up straight, looks down at him. Zelensky stares back and says wow, you are tall, but my hands are bigger.

Trump fumes and takes it out on a 20 pack of McNuggets his Secret Service agent carries instead of extra ammo.

• Haha 2