NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Only on ESPN. Not a consensus 5-star by any stretch.

https://www.on3.com/db/dia-bell-152445/

This gets into silly rankings shit though, too. He's ranked anywhere from 8th-36th nationally and if he maintains his national slot with each service, only Rivals would have him as a 4*. His 247 composite (where they convert their current ranking to the star equivalent of their final rating), currently sits at .9927. 

https://cottonholdings.com/news/cotton-holdings-named-title-sponsor-of-the-lone-star-showdown-rivalry-series

As the title sponsor, Cotton Holdings will receive rights to the Lone Star Showdown and associated intellectual property from both Texas A&M and the University of Texas. The sponsorship package includes season-long fan engagement opportunities, exposure through TV and radio broadcasts, in-venue signage, and featured storytelling on social media. Additionally, both universities will benefit from annual contributions to their respective NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) activation funds, courtesy of Cotton Holdings.

NSIAP

Saw this posted on City-Data forum about an odd attempt at soliciting  the Saudis for NIL resources.

4,289 posts, read 2,611,378 times
reputation_goldstar.gif
reputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_green.gifreputation_greenh.gif

Colorado was seeking to fund their NIL through Saudi Arabia's PIF fund. Long article that went through many implications of this move that I didn't copy and paste.

https://www.si.com/college/colorado/...npreceded-move

Deion Sanders and his Buffaloes staff have been at the forefront of innovative business ideas during his tenure with Colorado. As it turns out, NIL funding is no different. After resigning as CU’s special teams coordinator on August 1st, Trevor Reilly went on the record about trying to pull in funding for the school’s 5430 NIL collective. He expressed to Sports Illustrated that there were no bad feelings between anyone with the program, but rather he was at odds with a few people in Colorado’s administration. Reilly said he spent time in the Middle East this past holiday season lobbying Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) for Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) funding on behalf of CU Football. A copy of what Reilly says was in his resignation letter to CU athletic director Rick George and Sanders was reviewed by Sports Illustrated. "The arrangement was that, because I did all the NIL work at Jackson and got us through, you guys would pay me a modest salary and make me the Special Teams Coordinator, which should have freed up time for me to handle NIL activities," Reilly wrote. "You paid me $90,000 a year and let me handle special teams. I did all this work in your name and was told to pursue it. I burned through all my contacts in my Mormon community, which is worth about $3 trillion. Now, I can't get these people to answer my calls because I just found out today that none of my endeavors will happen. "I even went to Saudi Arabia and got a meeting with the Saudis, who were interested in pursuing business. I have email receipts to prove it, and you guys let it fall flat on its face." Reilly said he acted on his own accord trying to pull in donors. “I did nothing illegal and was trying to help Colorado the best way I knew how.” Sports Illustrated reached out to Colorado Athletics who didn't comment on Reilly's trip to the Middle East.

Some of these “outside the box” concepts are small. Earlier this week, 99-year-old CU legend Peggy Coppom received a one-of-a-kind NIL deal for a “I Ain’t Hard to Find Too” Blenders sleeve. Some players outside the bigger names secure deals with local businesses. But it's about finding additional funding that will level the playing field for programs like Colorado against powerhouses like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas. This could signal the largest outside the box thinking pertaining to NIL funding that anyone has considered. Regardless of fanbase size, boosters and donors efforts, it’s an untapped resource. A supply that could bury the financial abilities of the stronger programs in the country.

It has seemed that Coach Prime’s staff has been busy looking for ways to compete with the larger NIL deals that would seem unlikely from Colorado. That is until considering an option that is not only outside Colorado, it’s outside the borders of America. Reilly on behalf of Colorado considered entering into a partnership with the PIF, which is one of the largest sovereign wealth funds in the world. The wealth of riches is near or exceeding one trillion dollars in value. That is a number that levels the playing field immediately and without question or hesitation. CU being funded for NIL through the PIF would render all of those larger programs’ numbers to be inconsequential.

If this sounds crazy, it’s really not. The Saudi government owns multiple international professional soccer clubs outright, along with stakeholder rights in many others, including Chelsea and Newcastle United. They are also the lead backer for LIV Golf, who previously attempted to buy the PGA Tour and partners in ATP, and Formula One.

Just imagine what Shedeur Sanders and Travis Hunter’s NIL valuations would be with that kind of backing. Even better, imagine what it might look like for the significant contributors who are not named Sanders or Hunter. This could be the sledgehammer that allows Colorado to break through the glass ceiling that would allow them to compete dollar for dollar with the bigger more consistent programs of the Power four.

Johntay is a great kid who will do really good things this year, on and off the field. 

Now, as an aside, imagine Johntay paired up with Wingo, Lockett, Ffrench, and Moore, and we will be one deadly passing attack. Let's not forget Jordan Washington, either. Sark is building something special on the offensive side of the ball. 

Cook shows you the kind of kids Sark recruits. Unselfish, hard working, and cares about his team. Love this kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Johntay is a great kid who will do really good things this year, on and off the field. 

Now, as an aside, imagine Johntay paired up with Wingo, Lockett, Ffrench, and Moore, and we will be one deadly passing attack. Let's not forget Jordan Washington, either. Sark is building something special on the offensive side of the ball. 

Cook shows you the kind of kids Sark recruits. Unselfish, hard working, and cares about his team. Love this kid. 

Went to practice a couple weeks back, after practice Johntay was the first kid that came up, shook my hand and introduced himself. Had a really good convo with him, very genuine dude. Will absolutely rooting for his success 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Went to practice a couple weeks back, after practice Johntay was the first kid that came up, shook my hand and introduced himself. Had a really good convo with him, very genuine dude. Will absolutely rooting for his success 

That's awesome. He seems like a genuinely nice kid, and I will also be rooting for him. He has all the tools to be successful, and now I know he and DeAndre Moore are absolute great kids. We're lucky to have those guys who also happen to be great football players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Email with more info spoilered below:

Earn 5 Loyalty Points for every $100 donated to supporting Texas student-athletes

No images? Click here

Screenshot2023-06-29at6.40.46PM1-9900000

Longhorns, beginning TODAY, for every $100 donated to Texas One Fund, you will earn five (5) Longhorn Foundation Loyalty Points. By supporting Texas student-athletes, you will now have the ability to boost your place in line for season ticket and parking selections, Texas/OU tickets, Bowl and SEC Championship tickets, and much more. Join us or increase your monthly donation TODAY to not only keep The University of Texas the preeminent program in all of college sports, but also earn access to watch your Longhorn student-athletes wherever they go on the highest stages across all sports.

Please see the below letter from Vice President and Lois and Richard Folger Athletics Director Chris Del Conte highlighting our incredible partnership: 

It’s an awesome day on the Forty Acres with the Longhorn Foundation announcing that all Texas One Fund contributions will now be awarded Loyalty Points! As y’all know, Texas One Fund is the official organization supporting name, image, likeness (NIL) opportunities for our student-athletes, and this is a tremendous opportunity for all of you incredible Longhorn Foundation members to directly impact our student-athletes. Going forward, your pride, passion and commitment to our student-athletes through NIL giving will be rewarded with Loyalty Points. It’s a great way for us to show our gratitude for your never-ending support and for you to be further recognized for your continued commitment to the success of our athletics programs.

Before we lay out the details of our expanded Loyalty Points program, I want to thank you for your dedication to our mission at Texas to provide an unparalleled, comprehensive collegiate experience for over 550 student-athletes across 21 sport programs. In the modern landscape of college athletics, empowering student-athletes with the knowledge and opportunity to advance their personal and professional brands through NIL has become a fundamental piece of that experience. As it goes for every resource we’re able to provide to student-athletes at Texas, your philanthropic partnership is a key component in delivering on our goal of preparing Texas student-athletes to succeed in athletics, academics and in life. Y’all know what starts here changes the world, and you play such a vital role in our ability to prepare our student-athletes to do just that.

With the introduction of Loyalty Points accumulation for gifts in support of NIL through the Texas One Fund, our purpose is to recognize your loyalty to advancing the growth of Texas student-athletes across every aspect of their development and throughout their time at Texas. Our interest remains in being at the forefront of collegiate athletics and maintaining our position as an elite competitor in the Southeastern Conference. Establishing opportunities for you—our loyal donors—to support our mutual pursuit of excellence across all areas of philanthropic interest is how we guarantee a continued impact on current and future Texas student-athletes and uphold our winning tradition at Texas. We’re pleased to partner with Texas One Fund and offer Longhorn Foundation donors the opportunity to participate in the Loyalty Points program for donations made in support of NIL.

Giving to Texas One Fund and Loyalty Points

Here's what you need to know about Loyalty Points as they pertain to donations made to the Texas One Fund:

• Beginning Aug. 26, 2024, all contributions made to Texas One Fund will accrue Loyalty Points. Visit TexasOneFund.org to learn more about supporting NIL for Texas student-athletes.
  • To receive Loyalty Points for gifts to Texas One Fund, you must be a current Longhorn Foundation member. If you have friends, family, colleagues or acquaintances who are not yet members, encourage them to visit TexasLonghorns.com/LF to explore Longhorn Foundation membership or TexasLonghorns.com/Donate to make a gift and become a member.
  • Loyalty Points earned for gifts to Texas One Fund will be reflected in your Texas Athletics account monthly. You can visit TexasLonghorns.com/MyAccount to review your current Loyalty Points ranking at any time.          
  • Please note that only donations made to Texas One Fund and not sponsorships are eligible for Loyalty Points accrual. At the time of your donation to Texas One Fund, please ensure you “opt in” to receive Loyalty Points.
  • A full FAQ on Loyalty Points for donations made to Texas One Fund is available for your reference and review. I am sure many of you will have additional questions about this new initiative. I encourage you to direct your questions to the Longhorn Foundation, whose staff can be reached at LF@utexas.edu or 512-471-4439, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CT.

Loyalty Points

The Loyalty Points system is a longstanding, points-based program that rewards Longhorn Foundation donors for their commitment to supporting our student-athletes and sport programs. Loyalty Points are earned at different rates by giving type and account for the longevity of being a season ticket holder as well as philanthropic donations. Ultimately, Loyalty Points are used to build a priority ranking of all donors—the more Loyalty Points you have, the higher your rank—that determines various processes, including how we slate season ticket and parking selection appointment times, seat selection appointment times for the Allstate Red River Rivalry, ticket allocation for away and postseason play and more.

Texas One Fund

The Texas One Fund is the official NIL collective of Texas Athletics and supports student-athlete opportunities to use their name, image and likeness to promote charitable causes. Texas One Fund connects student-athletes from both men’s and women’s sports, fans, sponsors and charitable organizations to enhance personal and professional development while giving nonprofits amplified support and visibility.

Together, we’re taking the pride and winning tradition of our great university and athletics department to great heights. It’s because of y’all that we’re able to do great things and we can’t thank you enough. So, here’s to your NIL support, the continued success it fuels, providing our student-athletes with the best resources in the nation and building champions on and off the fields of competition!

Hook ’em!

LP-main-9900000000079e3c.png

HOOK 'EM, HORNS!

P.S.Wheels-990514028a01453c.png

Patrick "Wheels" Smith

President, Texas One Fund

Points/$ change depending on what type of donation it is. 5/$100 is at the top and on par with a lot of the other giving though (Longhorn Excellence as an example) while things like seat related donations for season tickets are 2/$100.

I don't think this link requires a login but it's got a breakdown: https://texaslonghorns.com/sports/2021/2/22/loyalty-points?xd_co_f=M2EzZjJhMzItYTNhZS00ZDE2LTgzZDUtZjk3YTcwZTQxM2Vh

• Hook 'Em 2

Interesting lawsuit - this lawsuit seems particularly likely to succeed given the different treatment of private school athletes in the state.

My understanding is that Texas is one of the 11 states that does not allow high school NIL, so it could have an effect in Texas as well.

So, I’ve been a Burnt Ends member since the beginning. I’ve appreciated all the work that’s gone into the endeavor but with only limited money to spend on donations ( I’ve got 2 on the 40 right now) it would probably make sense for me to go through Texas One. Am I understanding correctly or will Burnt Ends possibly morph into Texas One?

45 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

So, I’ve been a Burnt Ends member since the beginning. I’ve appreciated all the work that’s gone into the endeavor but with only limited money to spend on donations ( I’ve got 2 on the 40 right now) it would probably make sense for me to go through Texas One. Am I understanding correctly or will Burnt Ends possibly morph into Texas One?

If you need the points move to TOF, but 100% of the money you give to burnt ends goes to the tight ends. I keep none and gross up the fees. 

As of now there's no benefit/reason to move to TOF for burnt ends because the max level is still below the amount that matters for declaring for tax purposes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you need the points move to TOF, but 100% of the money you give to burnt ends goes to the tight ends. I keep none and gross up the fees. 

As of now there's no benefit/reason to move to TOF for burnt ends because the max level is still below the amount that matters for declaring for tax purposes. 

You’ve been awesome! I will continue to be a treefiddy guy ! I actually do need the points because I’m in nosebleeds this year. I’ll still be supportive of Surly endeavors and hope to maybe catch you at a game this year.