Slow Horses

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Harkness is River's father. River, the doppleganger, the (other) French assassin that presumably killed Bad Sam, and the bomber are all half-brothers. When River was talking to his doppleganger's mother, she talked about how Harkness had a harem of women at Les Abres - greek, polish, russian, english, etc. Harkness would impregnate the women, steal the baby boys from their mothers, and train them to be his team of assassins. Basically, you can assume that any of the bad guys working for Harkness are his sons. 

The secret opp that Bad Sam did for David Cartwright was to get David's daughter/River's mother out of Les Abres. Still don't know what happened to mom, or how David Cartwright ended up with River...

My guess is that she vanished as per the story Bad Sam told and then later dropped off River in a basket with note.

7 hours ago, huge said:

Are the books worth reading or just stick to the fantastic show?

Totally worth it. You fly through them.

Ho's ridiculous internal monologue alone is. worth the read.

Edited by fellside

Blew through the first two episodes of S1 looking for something on AA flight home from SLC yesterday and I’m absolutely hooked now after staying up late to watch episodes 3 and 4 after everybody’d gone to bed.

I’ve always loved Gary Oldman and have been meaning to start this. Goddamn, this show is off to a cracking start.

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Blew through the first two episodes of S1 looking for something on AA flight home from SLC yesterday and I’m absolutely hooked now after staying up late to watch episodes 3 and 4 after everybody’d gone to bed.

I’ve always loved Gary Oldman and have been meaning to start this. Goddamn, this show is off to a cracking start.

Savor it.  I blew through S1-3 like a drunk on a bender.  Now I am rationing S4.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Savor it.  I blew through S1-3 like a drunk on a bender.  Now I am rationing S4.

Pretty sure I'm going to be done with this about as quickly as I would with Sydney Sweeney.

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I love how they're just bringing this guy slowly out of the background.  Waiting to hear his backstory. 

88b6e1a4d914-tom-brooke-slow-horses.jpg

Also can they just kill off the gambler guy now.  I hate how his character alternates from guy with skills and a gambling problem, to just a bumbling idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The finale last night was great.  They had a lot to cover and they did a great job.  They changed some of the pieces around at the end from the book, but got to the same place.   Still one of the better series on TV and very reliably so.

One thing I wish they did from the book was :

Spoiler

In the show, they just made Harkness's crew out to be a mindless kill squad.  In the book, they are funded by MI:5 (hence the Cartwright connection and how they had the dead body ID's) and are used to test the reaction to terrorist attacks.  So, for instance, they would put something in the drinking water of a town that wasn't poisonous but noticeable and see if they could do it and what the reaction would be.  Of course, they started getting insubordinate and the government stopped funding them.  The payment to get River's mom out was the last payment and negotiation.  The Westacres bombing happened when one of the crew broke and took a test and made it real.  

Not a huge deal, but I just thought it would have made the makeup of the group more interesting than just "bad guys".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nycHorn said:

About Harkness:

Hide contents

So they just had that conversation about the letters he wrote.  Is it implied that they're in fact going to let him go?  Or Taverna was going to make Whelan do it?

They left that hanging, I’m sure intentionally.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nycHorn said:

About Harkness:

Hide contents

So they just had that conversation about the letters he wrote.  Is it implied that they're in fact going to let him go?  Or Taverna was going to make Whelan do it?

Spoiler

I felt like it was implied that they let him go, but not sure about that.

• Like 1

Burned through all 4 seasons in 3 weeks, and acciedntly timed it up to watch the last 2 episodes of S4 last night.   What a great show, I love the pace of 6 episode seasons, little to no fluff.   The ending of S3 was way over the top, but other than that the show has been a great watch.   

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/slow-horses-season-4-finale-interview-hugo-weaving-will-smith-1236173485/

There would be some minor spoilers if somehow you weren't able to figure out if they let Harkness go or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

I bet that River is going to be banging the blonde next season.

Spoiler

It looked from the previews that she might have switched teams over to Harkness, but I might have been a little tipsy when I watched them.

The six episode seasons are short but seem to keep the stories tight without any filler episodes. It does seem that this also allows for a quick turnaround time for new seasons. The six episode format seems perfect at least for these stories. No big gaps between seasons like other shows where you forget what happened in previous seasons and then have to sit through multiple filler episodes only to wait a couple years for another season.

Apple TV+ is staying with the spies of Slough House for a sixth season.

Hit Gary Oldman starrer Slow Horses has been re-upped again upon the conclusion of Season 4 on the streaming platform. A fifth season was ordered back in January.

In Season 6, the spies head out on the run as Diana Taverner (Kristin Scott Thomas) embroils them all in a fatally high-stakes game of retaliation and revenge. The sixth season will be based on Mick Herron’s novels Joe Country and Slough House, which are the sixth and seventh books in the series.

Spoiler

Book 6: Joe country
In Slough House, the London outpost for disgraced MI5 spies, memories are stirring, all of them bad. Catherine Standish is buying booze again, Louisa Guy is raking over the ashes of lost love, and new recruit Lech Wicinski, whose sins make him an outcast even among the slow horses, is determined to discover who destroyed his career, even if he tears his life apart in the process.

Meanwhile, in Regent’s Park, Diana Taverner’s tenure as First Desk is running into difficulties. If she’s going to make the Service fit for purpose, she might have to make deals with a familiar old devil.

Book 7: Slough House
At Slough House, Brexit has taken a toll. The slow horses have been pushed further into the cold, Slough House has been erased from official records, and its members are dying in unusual circumstances, at an unusual clip. No wonder Jackson Lamb’s crew is feeling paranoid. But are they actually targets?  

With a new populist movement taking hold of London’s streets and the old order ensuring that everything’s for sale to the highest bidder, the world’s a dangerous place for those deemed surplus. Jackson Lamb and the slow horses are in a fight for their lives as they navigate dizzying layers of lies, power, and death.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This 4th season was the best yet.  Really loved the addition of Hugo Weaving...dude just talks different. Still want at least 7 episodes of this show.

It seems like they always have the next season filmed once the current season has completed airing.  The finale ended with a trailer for Season 5....wtf.  Just release it already lol

On 10/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, RPM said:

Apple TV+ is staying with the spies of Slough House for a sixth season.

Hit Gary Oldman starrer Slow Horses has been re-upped again upon the conclusion of Season 4 on the streaming platform. A fifth season was ordered back in January.

In Season 6, the spies head out on the run as Diana Taverner (Kristin Scott Thomas) embroils them all in a fatally high-stakes game of retaliation and revenge. The sixth season will be based on Mick Herron’s novels Joe Country and Slough House, which are the sixth and seventh books in the series.

Hide contents

Book 6: Joe country
In Slough House, the London outpost for disgraced MI5 spies, memories are stirring, all of them bad. Catherine Standish is buying booze again, Louisa Guy is raking over the ashes of lost love, and new recruit Lech Wicinski, whose sins make him an outcast even among the slow horses, is determined to discover who destroyed his career, even if he tears his life apart in the process.

Meanwhile, in Regent’s Park, Diana Taverner’s tenure as First Desk is running into difficulties. If she’s going to make the Service fit for purpose, she might have to make deals with a familiar old devil.

Book 7: Slough House
At Slough House, Brexit has taken a toll. The slow horses have been pushed further into the cold, Slough House has been erased from official records, and its members are dying in unusual circumstances, at an unusual clip. No wonder Jackson Lamb’s crew is feeling paranoid. But are they actually targets?  

With a new populist movement taking hold of London’s streets and the old order ensuring that everything’s for sale to the highest bidder, the world’s a dangerous place for those deemed surplus. Jackson Lamb and the slow horses are in a fight for their lives as they navigate dizzying layers of lies, power, and death.

Awesome.  I just picked up Joe Country yesterday, assuming we would get at least 6 seasons.  Definitely interesting that they would combine two books.  It wouldn't surprise me if that season runs more episodes, but would be the last one.  There is just one more book completed with one more on the way in 2025, so they won't GoT/GRRM it.

I'd taken a little break after blowing through S1 and S2 in about a week's time. Fired up S3 last night after the missus went to bed. I'll watch one, I figured, hell it's only 45 mins. Then of course the ending to S3E1 is the phone call to River to get to whatever bridge in five mins or Standish was dead. Well, fuck, I had to watch S3E2 then! Another 45 mins later, and the second episode didn't end of such a cliffhanger so I went to bed. I can't remember a show that ended with such a cliffhanger that I felt immediately compelled to re-up for that extra episode. This show is like an opiate and I'm Renton in Trainspotting ...

Edited by C-Man
  • Haha 2