Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 4.25.49 PM.png

Isn't Swaim terminally ill? If so, what malady is affecting him? Whatever it is has further deteriorated his cognitive function.

How often was this sumbitch right about anything?

32 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Isn't Swaim terminally ill? If so, what malady is affecting him? Whatever it is has further deteriorated his cognitive function.

How often was this sumbitch right about anything?

I guess this is accurate. It was on his Twitter feed:

ClciFy4s_x96.jpg

I haven't advertised this, but 57 years after doctors in Columbus, Ohio told my parents that I probably wouldn't live to 20, they apparently were only off by 41-plus years. I'm going into hospice soon, but really don't know exactly how long I have...so will compete until the day I go home. I'm now on a ventilator 23-plus hours daily in bed (why I have so much time to post on social media and watch sports ), but very comfortable at this point and enjoying my family.

I still believe that the “TAMU to the B1G” talk is based on the B1G wanting into Texas (the assumption is that their revenue model still rewards adding a big state full of subscriber; I could be wrong) and the Ags wanting the SEC to feel “jealous” and throw the Ags a bone. 

However, I am coming around to thinking the SEC could drive the Ags away with a couple of well timed snubs and insults. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

We've all been looking at this wrong once again.

According to the Dude from WV who has never been wrong about anything realignment, WVU is more valuable property than half of the SEC/Big10 and all of the Big12.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 11.21.15 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, gatormarc said:

We've all been looking at this wrong once again.

According to the Dude from WV who has never been wrong about anything realignment, WVU is more valuable property than half of the SEC/Big10 and all of the Big12.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 11.21.15 AM.png

Well that really isn't that far out of line from what Hurtlocker has told as, and I value his opinion!  WVU gets the Big 12 attention in a lot of eastern markets.  Its the Mountaineer diaspora.  I can't say there is anyone below them I really disagree with but #s 25-28-Miami, Washington, Oregon and UCLA.

16 hours ago, bullet said:

Well that really isn't that far out of line from what Hurtlocker has told as, and I value his opinion!  WVU gets the Big 12 attention in a lot of eastern markets.  Its the Mountaineer diaspora.  I can't say there is anyone below them I really disagree with but #s 25-28-Miami, Washington, Oregon and UCLA.

Ha, I don't think I disagree with WVU having a 20-30 reach due to being in the Pittsburgh DMA and having a strong presence in the DMV, but that list is kind of fucked.     Texas isn't below Penn State, they are top three with Michigan/Ohio State.   Michigan State and Iowa are not above USC and Auburn is way too high (there is a reason they gave Iowa three mid trophy games and it isn't to protect Iowa/Minnesota).    I agree with your comment on Oregon, but Miami and UCLA I think are in that same 20-30 tier.  Good Miami is top 10.   Mid Miami is bottom 50.   That is not a loyal fanbase, where that averages out is beyond me.  Like 70-90s Huskers, that was people watching what was taking advantage of a situation at the time, which isn't a unique thing to take advantage of any longer. I'm not even sure if there is a future Miami or future Huskers that looks anything like the past.   Washington is hard, in that they're so isolated.     If Arizona State ever decided to win, they could supplant Washington easily and no one would give a fuck about the Huskies outside Seattle.  

No way Kentucky is that low, same with Kansas at 60.   Basketball would move them higher, even with 7-8 win football they'll be top 25.   Brand is about name recognition.    Those two should all be around UCLA with mid football, higher with great football.

Michigan is the closest analog to us, culturally, academically and competitively, including having an analog rival (tOSU to OU). They have an advantage in that they were never forced by geographic constraints to join a league with a bunch of nearby schools that simultaneously hated and free rided them. We have an advantage in that we are located in a more talent rich region. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, statsman said:

Michigan is the closest analog to us, culturally, academically and competitively, including having an analog rival (tOSU to OU). They have an advantage in that they were never forced by geographic constraints to join a league with a bunch of nearby schools that simultaneously hated and free rided them. We have an advantage in that we are located in a more talent rich region. 

The lesser schools in the Big 10 hate Michigan and Ohio State and have been free riding for years.  Michigan and Ohio State just don't care, and never have.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The lesser schools in the Big 10 hate Michigan and Ohio State and have been free riding for years.  Michigan and Ohio State just don't care, and never have.

Indiana can hate Michigan, but if they decide they need to win so much that they have to start buying players (like SMU), it won’t detract from Michigan’s recruiting. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

There are several academic peers in the B1G; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Washington, Purdue, OSU…much better fit there than in the Sec.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

There are several academic peers in the B1G; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Washington, Purdue, OSU…much better fit there than in the Sec.

Yep, academic peers, perfect reasoning for choosing an athletic conference...  SMH

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I look as these rankings obsessively. UT is usually in the Top 5. But what continually surprises me is just how far down UNC & UV always are. They are always 40th or worse. Some people act like the B1G is drooling to pick them up if the ACC collapses. I call BS, UV is actually less valuable than Maryland and Rutgers.

Screenshot_20240710_173417_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I look as these rankings obsessively. UT is usually in the Top 5. But what continually surprises me is just how far down UNC & UV always are. They are always 40th or worse. Some people act like the B1G is drooling to pick them up if the ACC collapses. I call BS, UV is actually less valuable than Maryland and Rutgers.

It’s pretty much a beauty contest and beauty is in the eye f the beholder.

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

This list is nonsense. But even if it were accurate, I’m not sure what about the Big Ten’s previous expansion would suggest that they wouldn’t want to add UNC and UVA as a package. 

11 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

I can see why the B12 would be interested in FSU and Clemson (although I’m not so sure it’s a great idea; are they just recreating the UT/OU dynamic- Gulliver and the Lilliputians?). Why would FSU and Clemson be interested in the B12? Sure, it’s better than the ACC,…if the ACC doesn’t have FSU and Clemson. 

Are they talking to the B12, hoping to elicit interest from the SEC and B1G? Because, if they had interest from the SEC or B1G, they sure wouldn't be talking to the B12. 

I had my doubts already that FSU and Clemson had a landing spot all worked out should they break out of the ACC…

33 minutes ago, statsman said:

I can see why the B12 would be interested in FSU and Clemson (although I’m not so sure it’s a great idea; are they just recreating the UT/OU dynamic- Gulliver and the Lilliputians?). Why would FSU and Clemson be interested in the B12? Sure, it’s better than the ACC,…if the ACC doesn’t have FSU and Clemson. 

Are they talking to the B12, hoping to elicit interest from the SEC and B1G? Because, if they had interest from the SEC or B1G, they sure wouldn't be talking to the B12. 

I had my doubts already that FSU and Clemson had a landing spot all worked out should they break out of the ACC…

I can only see FSU and Clemson interested in the Big 12 if they've got no other options whatsoever - including the ACC.

They had a chance to join a stronger league with UT and OU, but declined. What's the draw for them now? The money won't be much better after you factor in ACC Network.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I can only see FSU and Clemson interested in the Big 12 if they've got no other options whatsoever - including the ACC.

They had a chance to join a stronger league with UT and OU, but declined. What's the draw for them now? The money won't be much better after you factor in ACC Network.

It may not be any better after you factor in the ACC network. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40210153/acc-revenue-14-2022-23-trails-big-ten-sec

36 minutes ago, statsman said:

It may not be any better after you factor in the ACC network. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40210153/acc-revenue-14-2022-23-trails-big-ten-sec

For the sake of argument, the Big XII with FSU + Clemson would earn more than the current ACC.

BUT let the record show that I fully believe there is not a snowball's chance in hell that FSU or Clemson join the Big XII.

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Wouldn't ACC member schools have agreed to the terms of the conference contract with ESPN? They did so without having an unredacted copy of the actual agreement? That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure the Big 12's media media contract is available online. Or maybe it's just the Grant of Rights Agreement, but still, I assume the schools have a copy of the media contract they agreed to and are bound by.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Wouldn't ACC member schools have agreed to the terms of the conference contract with ESPN? They did so without having an unredacted copy of the actual agreement? That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure the Big 12's media media contract is available online. Or maybe it's just the Grant of Rights Agreement, but still, I assume the schools have a copy of the media contract they agreed to and are bound by.

My understanding was that the GoR gave the conference the right to negotiate on behalf of the members, and the exact contract with ESPN was never shared.

I have no idea if that's the norm or an outlier.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

A random post without a link, seems legit.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 2.50.54 PM.png

• Haha 2