Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Agree on both, but they do have some advantages.  Proximity to 4th largest city and top 15 busiest airport.  Rich recruiting grounds.  They could always play games at NRG like they are this weekend.  That's how they fulfill their FBS attendance commitment.  I think it's a crazy idea, but the PAC is desperate at this point.

They only need a single football playing member. They don’t need an all sports member. UConn, Toledo, and NIU I are their desperation moves. Sam Houston isn’t even on the radar.

11 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Agree on both, but they do have some advantages.  Proximity to 4th largest city and top 15 busiest airport.  Rich recruiting grounds.  They could always play games at NRG like they are this weekend.  That's how they fulfill their FBS attendance commitment.  I think it's a crazy idea, but the PAC is desperate at this point.

Sounds a lot like Houston?   Is the Big 12 shipping them off?

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

They only need a single football playing member. They don’t need an all sports member. UConn, Toledo, and NIU I are their desperation moves. Sam Houston isn’t even on the radar.

I mean, you make total sense, but my source said that the PAC contacted them.  Not the other way around.  Due diligence I'm sure.  Frankly, none of it makes much sense to me.  But it's fun to watch play out I suppose.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Biped said:

I mean, you make total sense, but my source said that the PAC contacted them.  Not the other way around.  Due diligence I'm sure.  Frankly, none of it makes much sense to me.  But it's fun to watch play out I suppose.

I find it hard to believe, but I guess we’ll see, shit leaks out fast nowadays…

7 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Had you told me over a decade ago that when we were in the infant realignment posts doing flightware checks for the Pac 16 rumors, that Texas State would potentially join the Pac in 2025 it would have blown my mind.    That was not something I am not sure anyone mapped out and I'm pretty sure we mapped everything out including Prestige Worldwide.

Yet here we are.

mind blown gifs | WiffleGif

😂

It’s so true.  There were lots of maps, lots of theories, and more lists of pods than I care to remember.  As a group, there was a general consensus that we were definitely heading towards some sort of consolidation.  There were definitely more than a few UT and OU to the SEC and even a few Best of the PAC to the BIG posts, but I’m pretty positive no one had Texas State to the PAC.

Fresno St to the PAC would be a close second for truly shocking.

• Haha 1

I mean, I wish the entire sport would do this, but right now it would really make a ton of sense for the G5 to get together and sell their media rights as a package like the NFL.  Pair off into geographically logical divisions (which would allow ALL sports to follow suit), and create some kind of season format where the G5 winner/best team plays in the 12 team playoff (you would still have early games against the larger schools).

They seem to be utterly cannibalizing each other at this point for absolutely no gain at all, and I don't think it's creating a more interesting product, whereas I think we are seeing (at least while the novelty of the new matchups is there) an even more compelling product in not just the Big 10 and SEC, but definitely in the Big 12 and possibly in the ACC too.  But that's more a result of consolidation with (so far) very little shedding of schools in the aggregate.  The G5 is splintering into smaller factions, which seems dilutive to me.

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, I wish the entire sport would do this, but right now it would really make a ton of sense for the G5 to get together and sell their media rights as a package like the NFL.  Pair off into geographically logical divisions (which would allow ALL sports to follow suit), and create some kind of season format where the G5 winner/best team plays in the 12 team playoff (you would still have early games against the larger schools).

They seem to be utterly cannibalizing each other at this point for absolutely no gain at all, and I don't think it's creating a more interesting product, whereas I think we are seeing (at least while the novelty of the new matchups is there) an even more compelling product in not just the Big 10 and SEC, but definitely in the Big 12 and possibly in the ACC too.  But that's more a result of consolidation with (so far) very little shedding of schools in the aggregate.  The G5 is splintering into smaller factions, which seems dilutive to me.

This is where I see PE getting involved at some point, though I think they want to do this at the greater level before the lower level, mostly because the broadcasters are guaranteeing slots to the higher level, much like the NFL.    The G5 doesn't have as many guaranteed slots currently.

16 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Had you told me over a decade ago that when we were in the infant realignment posts doing flightware checks for the Pac 16 rumors, that Texas State would potentially join the Pac in 2025 it would have blown my mind.    That was not something I am not sure anyone mapped out and I'm pretty sure we mapped everything out including Prestige Worldwide.

Yet here we are.

mind blown gifs | WiffleGif

Texas State riding the sinking ship that was WAC football in our 1st FBS season in 2012 and then getting thrown the ultimate life ring by Uncle Karl Benson, Sunbelt Commissioner (who may or may not have sunk the WAC ship the year before as WAC commissioner) and joining the Sunbelt in 2013 to save Texas State from likely CUSA purgatory next to Louisiana Tech and WKU to a decade of wandering the football wilderness to today, year of our lord 2024, being courted by the PAC, MWC and maybe to a lesser extent the AAC, and possibly holding the fate of the PAC and/or MWC in our hands is just as everybody expected CFB realignment to play out, right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Texas State riding the sinking ship that was WAC football in our 1st FBS season in 2012 and then getting thrown the ultimate life ring by Uncle Karl Benson, Sunbelt Commissioner (who may or may not have sunk the WAC ship the year before as WAC commissioner) and joining the Sunbelt in 2013 to save Texas State from likely CUSA purgatory next to Louisiana Tech and WKU to a decade of wandering the football wilderness to today, year of our lord 2024, being courted by the PAC, MWC and maybe to a lesser extent the AAC, and possibly holding the fate of the PAC and/or MWC in our hands is just as everybody expected CFB realignment to play out, right?

Totally had that on my card, it was lost in the shaggy move though, damnit!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Back in the day I actually assumed Texas State would have more potential than UTSA to be successful in FBS and would have been pulled into a better conference. To date I was clearly wrong, maybe this changes that going forward.