Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Conference realignment has fucked up so many rivalries I really am jaded about it at this point and really don't care. Nevertheless, I think there's a valid argument about the big rivalries taking up the ratings that week. I personally would rather see BU-TCU and UU-BYU on that week as well but ultimately doesn't make a shit.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Do the Montana schools and NDSU and SDSU even want to move up? I’m not sure they do. They aren’t making any of the moves that Sacramento St. (an FCS school that actually wants to move up) are making.

Montana prof here. Fanbase is very split on the move-up idea, and same goes for many in admin. Logistically/ financially, it would be a struggle (especially with NIL). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

Al- I quoted you to see what you thought, but also wanted to hear from other B12ers like @'stache and @oSuJeff97

I was looking at the schedule for CFB for the last weekend of the regular season, and the B12 schedule looks like it was put together by someone who has no understanding of which schools have rivalries and history with each other.  

Outside of Farmageddon and the Territorial Cup, none of it made sense.  Utah at UCF ?  TCU at UC ?  UH at BYU ?  Tech-WVU ?  WTF ?

I was expecting to see the Holy War, TCU-Baylor, etc.

Looks like the B12 made a conscious decision to spread the rivalry games out earlier in the season.  Are you guys happy with that ?

I realize The Game, USC-ND, UT vs aggy, Iron Bowl, etc are all going to soak up a ton of oxygen that weekend, but for me, there's something special about rivalry weekend.  Utah vs UCF or the Holy War on rivalry weekend-  seems like an easy choice.

I like the rivalry games being spread out.  Gives them a better spotlight 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Do the Montana schools and NDSU and SDSU even want to move up? I’m not sure they do. They aren’t making any of the moves that Sacramento St. (an FCS school that actually wants to move up) are making.

that's the major question. From what I've been told by a Montana grad there is a fund already in place should they decide to make the move up but as always the question is the political will of the admin there. No idea on the other 3. 

edit: didn't see LTbear's reply but that definitely checks out. 

Edited by NCMountaineer

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think the SBC is clearly #3 in the current G5 landscape, and is probably better at football than the new MWC is going to be.

It's really a pretty damn entertaining league with some invested fanbases and good players.  It seems like a pretty solid model for G5 football at this stage.

They'd actually be my #1 G5 from a talent standpoint, if they didn't have so many good teams that they beat each other up.   JMU, App State, Marshall, Louisianna, Coastal and GS are ballers

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

They'd actually be my #1 G5 from a talent standpoint, if they didn't have so many good teams that they beat each other up.   JMU, App State, Marshall, Louisianna, Coastal and GS are ballers

Well, maybe not so much App St this year, but usually yes. I do think the SBC is probably the most fun G5 conference right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

An extra hour or two on a plane can't be that big of a difference so is the reason they are in the Big West for everything else because they haven't wanted to spend as much on being more competitive in those sports?

I always assumed they were not in the MWC for other sports because the MWC did not want them for other sports because of the huge added cost of traveling to Hawaii for every sport.  Obviously the calculus is different now that the MWC needs another school, but it is still a pain to fly to hawaii for tennis, volleyball, etc. from Wyoming, New Mexico, Reno, etc.

On 10/2/2024 at 11:00 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Hawaii moving its non fb sports from the Big West to the MWC is the easiest solution.

4 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is one of the most logical moves put out there in the last month.

Just saying.

I still like Texas State for ending up in the PAC.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:49 PM, USC Traveler said:

Al- I quoted you to see what you thought, but also wanted to hear from other B12ers like @'stache and @oSuJeff97

I was looking at the schedule for CFB for the last weekend of the regular season, and the B12 schedule looks like it was put together by someone who has no understanding of which schools have rivalries and history with each other.  

Outside of Farmageddon and the Territorial Cup, none of it made sense.  Utah at UCF ?  TCU at UC ?  UH at BYU ?  Tech-WVU ?  WTF ?

I was expecting to see the Holy War, TCU-Baylor, etc.

Looks like the B12 made a conscious decision to spread the rivalry games out earlier in the season.  Are you guys happy with that ?

I realize The Game, USC-ND, UT vs aggy, Iron Bowl, etc are all going to soak up a ton of oxygen that weekend, but for me, there's something special about rivalry weekend.  Utah vs UCF or the Holy War on rivalry weekend-  seems like an easy choice.

Yeah I hadn't paid that much attention to it since we basically don't have a rivalry game any more.

But I think there is a method to the madness and you hit the nail on the head at the end. If we know anything about Yormark it's that he's always working to get every revenue edge that he possibly can. And if that's putting rivalry games on "normal" regular season weeks where they may grab more viewers than they would on the main "rivalry" weekends when they are competing for eyeballs with the SEC and B1G rivalries.

I might be upset about it if we still had a rivalry game and it was being played in early October or something but, again, since I don't any more it's not really a big deal to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2024 at 2:19 PM, LTbear said:

Montana prof here. Fanbase is very split on the move-up idea, and same goes for many in admin. Logistically/ financially, it would be a struggle (especially with NIL). 

All your posts now make sense to me. I'm reading the stuff you're saying in this thread and I'm like these are the same conversations I have with my friends about this stuff every day. Assumed you were out west but didnt peg you for Missoula. 

Csb, your AD's daughter and my daughter were roommates in college. No pics. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

I've always thought the FCS playoff deserved more attention. Some of those schools are pretty big and have alumni bases equal to a several P5 schools. People stand up for the FBS bowl system because "more football" in December is good. It would seem to make sense to promote FCS playoff games and televise them among the rest of the bowls on ESPN or Fox Sports or other channel that doesn't require a viewer to go out of their way to find. If it were on ESPN or Fox Sports in December I might prefer to see a 12-0 SDSU v. 10-2 Montana in an FCS playoff game rather than a 6-6 Toledo v. 7-5 Maryland in the Carmax Dorito Bowl. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've always thought the FCS playoff deserved more attention. Some of those schools are pretty big and have alumni bases equal to a several P5 schools. People stand up for the FBS bowl system because "more football" in December is good. It would seem to make sense to promote FCS playoff games and televise them among the rest of the bowls on ESPN or Fox Sports or other channel that doesn't require a viewer to go out of their way to find. If it were on ESPN or Fox Sports in December I might prefer to see a 12-0 SDSU v. 10-2 Montana in an FCS playoff game rather than a 6-6 Toledo v. 7-5 Maryland in the Carmax Dorito Bowl. 

FCS playoffs are an absolute blast. NDSU at Montana in the semis last year was the best football environment I've ever been to.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2024 at 5:19 PM, LTbear said:

Wyoming, and in 2025 Delaware, are the only states with FBS programs who have less than 1.4 million people.  Hawaii, #40 has 1.4 million.  WV, #39 has 1.8 million.

Montana is #43 with 1.1 million.  And Montana and the Dakotas have their states split between major schools, unlike HI, WV, DE and WY.  Montana, Idaho, NDSU, SDSU, UND and USD are all very small for FBS with around 12k students or less.  Montana St. has 17k, but that still is smaller than typical for FBS.  I don't think it makes sense to maybe be a Wyoming in FBS instead of one of the tops in FCS.