Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Conference realignment has fucked up so many rivalries I really am jaded about it at this point and really don't care. Nevertheless, I think there's a valid argument about the big rivalries taking up the ratings that week. I personally would rather see BU-TCU and UU-BYU on that week as well but ultimately doesn't make a shit.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Do the Montana schools and NDSU and SDSU even want to move up? I’m not sure they do. They aren’t making any of the moves that Sacramento St. (an FCS school that actually wants to move up) are making.

Montana prof here. Fanbase is very split on the move-up idea, and same goes for many in admin. Logistically/ financially, it would be a struggle (especially with NIL). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

Al- I quoted you to see what you thought, but also wanted to hear from other B12ers like @'stache and @oSuJeff97

I was looking at the schedule for CFB for the last weekend of the regular season, and the B12 schedule looks like it was put together by someone who has no understanding of which schools have rivalries and history with each other.  

Outside of Farmageddon and the Territorial Cup, none of it made sense.  Utah at UCF ?  TCU at UC ?  UH at BYU ?  Tech-WVU ?  WTF ?

I was expecting to see the Holy War, TCU-Baylor, etc.

Looks like the B12 made a conscious decision to spread the rivalry games out earlier in the season.  Are you guys happy with that ?

I realize The Game, USC-ND, UT vs aggy, Iron Bowl, etc are all going to soak up a ton of oxygen that weekend, but for me, there's something special about rivalry weekend.  Utah vs UCF or the Holy War on rivalry weekend-  seems like an easy choice.

I like the rivalry games being spread out.  Gives them a better spotlight 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Do the Montana schools and NDSU and SDSU even want to move up? I’m not sure they do. They aren’t making any of the moves that Sacramento St. (an FCS school that actually wants to move up) are making.

that's the major question. From what I've been told by a Montana grad there is a fund already in place should they decide to make the move up but as always the question is the political will of the admin there. No idea on the other 3. 

edit: didn't see LTbear's reply but that definitely checks out. 

Edited by NCMountaineer
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think the SBC is clearly #3 in the current G5 landscape, and is probably better at football than the new MWC is going to be.

It's really a pretty damn entertaining league with some invested fanbases and good players.  It seems like a pretty solid model for G5 football at this stage.

They'd actually be my #1 G5 from a talent standpoint, if they didn't have so many good teams that they beat each other up.   JMU, App State, Marshall, Louisianna, Coastal and GS are ballers

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

They'd actually be my #1 G5 from a talent standpoint, if they didn't have so many good teams that they beat each other up.   JMU, App State, Marshall, Louisianna, Coastal and GS are ballers

Well, maybe not so much App St this year, but usually yes. I do think the SBC is probably the most fun G5 conference right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

An extra hour or two on a plane can't be that big of a difference so is the reason they are in the Big West for everything else because they haven't wanted to spend as much on being more competitive in those sports?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

An extra hour or two on a plane can't be that big of a difference so is the reason they are in the Big West for everything else because they haven't wanted to spend as much on being more competitive in those sports?

I always assumed they were not in the MWC for other sports because the MWC did not want them for other sports because of the huge added cost of traveling to Hawaii for every sport.  Obviously the calculus is different now that the MWC needs another school, but it is still a pain to fly to hawaii for tennis, volleyball, etc. from Wyoming, New Mexico, Reno, etc.

On 10/2/2024 at 11:00 AM, TKthunder2 said:

Hawaii moving its non fb sports from the Big West to the MWC is the easiest solution.

4 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is one of the most logical moves put out there in the last month.

Just saying.

I still like Texas State for ending up in the PAC.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:49 PM, USC Traveler said:

Al- I quoted you to see what you thought, but also wanted to hear from other B12ers like @'stache and @oSuJeff97

I was looking at the schedule for CFB for the last weekend of the regular season, and the B12 schedule looks like it was put together by someone who has no understanding of which schools have rivalries and history with each other.  

Outside of Farmageddon and the Territorial Cup, none of it made sense.  Utah at UCF ?  TCU at UC ?  UH at BYU ?  Tech-WVU ?  WTF ?

I was expecting to see the Holy War, TCU-Baylor, etc.

Looks like the B12 made a conscious decision to spread the rivalry games out earlier in the season.  Are you guys happy with that ?

I realize The Game, USC-ND, UT vs aggy, Iron Bowl, etc are all going to soak up a ton of oxygen that weekend, but for me, there's something special about rivalry weekend.  Utah vs UCF or the Holy War on rivalry weekend-  seems like an easy choice.

Yeah I hadn't paid that much attention to it since we basically don't have a rivalry game any more.

But I think there is a method to the madness and you hit the nail on the head at the end. If we know anything about Yormark it's that he's always working to get every revenue edge that he possibly can. And if that's putting rivalry games on "normal" regular season weeks where they may grab more viewers than they would on the main "rivalry" weekends when they are competing for eyeballs with the SEC and B1G rivalries.

I might be upset about it if we still had a rivalry game and it was being played in early October or something but, again, since I don't any more it's not really a big deal to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2024 at 2:19 PM, LTbear said:

Montana prof here. Fanbase is very split on the move-up idea, and same goes for many in admin. Logistically/ financially, it would be a struggle (especially with NIL). 

All your posts now make sense to me. I'm reading the stuff you're saying in this thread and I'm like these are the same conversations I have with my friends about this stuff every day. Assumed you were out west but didnt peg you for Missoula. 

Csb, your AD's daughter and my daughter were roommates in college. No pics. /csb

• Hook 'Em 2

I've always thought the FCS playoff deserved more attention. Some of those schools are pretty big and have alumni bases equal to a several P5 schools. People stand up for the FBS bowl system because "more football" in December is good. It would seem to make sense to promote FCS playoff games and televise them among the rest of the bowls on ESPN or Fox Sports or other channel that doesn't require a viewer to go out of their way to find. If it were on ESPN or Fox Sports in December I might prefer to see a 12-0 SDSU v. 10-2 Montana in an FCS playoff game rather than a 6-6 Toledo v. 7-5 Maryland in the Carmax Dorito Bowl. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've always thought the FCS playoff deserved more attention. Some of those schools are pretty big and have alumni bases equal to a several P5 schools. People stand up for the FBS bowl system because "more football" in December is good. It would seem to make sense to promote FCS playoff games and televise them among the rest of the bowls on ESPN or Fox Sports or other channel that doesn't require a viewer to go out of their way to find. If it were on ESPN or Fox Sports in December I might prefer to see a 12-0 SDSU v. 10-2 Montana in an FCS playoff game rather than a 6-6 Toledo v. 7-5 Maryland in the Carmax Dorito Bowl. 

FCS playoffs are an absolute blast. NDSU at Montana in the semis last year was the best football environment I've ever been to.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 10/2/2024 at 5:19 PM, LTbear said:

Wyoming, and in 2025 Delaware, are the only states with FBS programs who have less than 1.4 million people.  Hawaii, #40 has 1.4 million.  WV, #39 has 1.8 million.

Montana is #43 with 1.1 million.  And Montana and the Dakotas have their states split between major schools, unlike HI, WV, DE and WY.  Montana, Idaho, NDSU, SDSU, UND and USD are all very small for FBS with around 12k students or less.  Montana St. has 17k, but that still is smaller than typical for FBS.  I don't think it makes sense to maybe be a Wyoming in FBS instead of one of the tops in FCS.

5 hours ago, bullet said:

Wyoming, and in 2025 Delaware, are the only states with FBS programs who have less than 1.4 million people.  Hawaii, #40 has 1.4 million.  WV, #39 has 1.8 million.

Montana is #43 with 1.1 million.  And Montana and the Dakotas have their states split between major schools, unlike HI, WV, DE and WY.  Montana, Idaho, NDSU, SDSU, UND and USD are all very small for FBS with around 12k students or less.  Montana St. has 17k, but that still is smaller than typical for FBS.  I don't think it makes sense to maybe be a Wyoming in FBS instead of one of the tops in FCS.

I don't disagree. I love the FCS. Just reporting how some fans think. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I might be upset about it if we still had a rivalry game and it was being played in early October or something but, again, since I don't any more it's not really a big deal to me.

Rivalry games in October are awful. Just awful. 

• Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 hours ago, bullet said:

Only real difference though is Wyoming is mostly flow over from Denver, Delaware from Jersey and Philly, and WVU from DC/Pitt.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2024 at 4:19 AM, Magus Ossis said:

The real meaning of 2%er: at a "military" school with incoming classes now over 10,000, they commissioned fewer than 200 officers last May.

I thought about your post as I was watching aggy expose Mizzou today.

So many of the "game day atmosphere" shots during an aggy game revolve around military stuff- "cadets" with shaved heads, guys wearing WWI-era army outfits and carrying swords, the cannon getting fired, etc.  It gives a completely distorted view of reality.  They make it seem like a dominant part of student life.

The networks portray it as if the place is only a few steps below West Point and Annapolis, but based on your numbers, I wonder where they rank vs any big state school ROTC program.

Crazy that so much of the ags' identity seems to be tied up in something that has nothing to do with the vast majority of the student body.

Fake Army, indeed.  I don't know why it bugged me, but it did.  Maybe because my grandfather graduated from Annapolis and then was in WW2 from the beginning to the end- literally.  He was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked, and he was on the Missouri in Tokyo Bay for the surrender ceremony.

Anyway- fuck aggy.

Edited by USC Traveler
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, NCMountaineer said:

The Sun Belt played things perfectly in the last round - building a regional conference around teams that were making their way up from FCS as strong brands already at that level and keeping things within an established footprint, not chasing markets but chasing value with teams of similar competitive level and background makes for an entertaining product rather than chasing markets where the market already has established teams they care about and couldn't give a damn about the team being added. 

Using that line of thinking I honestly think the new MWC would be better off approaching the two Montanas, NDSU, and SDSU about making the move to FBS from FCS to round out their numbers but I don't think they're willing to make that move even though it would be a more compelling product. 

App St. is 2-3 right now.  Georgia Southern hasn't been rolling over everyone once they got settled in FBS.  Its not clear how good these schools are going to be in the long run.  Louisiana Monroe knocked off some people in their early years.  Then they took a nose dive (although they have started off well this year).  The Montanas and Dakotas most likely are going to be nothing better than another Wyoming in the long run.  MWC doesn't need that.

I know everyone is tired of hearing stuff from College Football 25 but damn I made custom conferences and it really drove home the point that this year's playoff format would have been so much better with pre-consolidated conferences (when 12 was the largest size).

ACC
Big Ten
Big 12
Pac-12
SEC

If we had a 12 team playoff back then with top 6 instead of 5 conference champs getting in and otherwise the same setup that would have been completely awesome. But with the oversized conferences now this playoff format isn't as great. But don't mind me, just an old man being wistful about what might have been.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/2/2024 at 5:14 PM, 'stache said:

Conference realignment has fucked up so many rivalries I really am jaded about it at this point and really don't care. Nevertheless, I think there's a valid argument about the big rivalries taking up the ratings that week. I personally would rather see BU-TCU and UU-BYU on that week as well but ultimately doesn't make a shit.

New proposal out there:

https://sports.yahoo.com/while-sec-and-big-ten-leaders-mull-major-changes-a-new-super-league-concept-looms-that-could-radically-alter-college-sports-130031534.html

"...As SEC and Big Ten leaders prepare to meet Wednesday and Thursday in Nashville for a historic summit of the industry’s two powers, there is an unreported undercurrent driving the discussion: Project Rudy.

Spearheaded by former Disney executives-turned-investment professionals, Project Rudy is a super league-esque concept — separate and more simplified than the one made public last week — that incorporates football programs of the four power conferences in a 70-team structure. The model preserves the four power conferences, expands the postseason, overhauls scheduling, tiers revenue distribution and, most importantly, infuses as much as $9 billion of private capital cash into the system.

The architects behind the model work for Smash Capital, a venture capital and private equity firm with offices in Los Angeles and New York. Representatives from Smash Capital declined to comment when reached last week, but their concepts are outlined in a 14-slide presentation obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Over the last four months, athletic directors at more than 25 power conference programs have seen the presentation, many of them in person during meetings with Smash Capital representatives....

Project Rudy is built on two somewhat simple concepts to increase revenue from television networks and corporate sponsors.

(1) Arrange more games between power conference programs by eliminating all games against Group of Five and FCS opponents; expanding the playoffs; and pitting blue-blood powers more often against one another.

(2) Consolidate the media rights of the 70 schools under one agreement, instead of the current structure of five different packages (one for each power league and Notre Dame)...."

21 minutes ago, bullet said:

New proposal out there:

https://sports.yahoo.com/while-sec-and-big-ten-leaders-mull-major-changes-a-new-super-league-concept-looms-that-could-radically-alter-college-sports-130031534.html

"...As SEC and Big Ten leaders prepare to meet Wednesday and Thursday in Nashville for a historic summit of the industry’s two powers, there is an unreported undercurrent driving the discussion: Project Rudy.

Spearheaded by former Disney executives-turned-investment professionals, Project Rudy is a super league-esque concept — separate and more simplified than the one made public last week — that incorporates football programs of the four power conferences in a 70-team structure. The model preserves the four power conferences, expands the postseason, overhauls scheduling, tiers revenue distribution and, most importantly, infuses as much as $9 billion of private capital cash into the system.

The architects behind the model work for Smash Capital, a venture capital and private equity firm with offices in Los Angeles and New York. Representatives from Smash Capital declined to comment when reached last week, but their concepts are outlined in a 14-slide presentation obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Over the last four months, athletic directors at more than 25 power conference programs have seen the presentation, many of them in person during meetings with Smash Capital representatives....

Project Rudy is built on two somewhat simple concepts to increase revenue from television networks and corporate sponsors.

(1) Arrange more games between power conference programs by eliminating all games against Group of Five and FCS opponents; expanding the playoffs; and pitting blue-blood powers more often against one another.

(2) Consolidate the media rights of the 70 schools under one agreement, instead of the current structure of five different packages (one for each power league and Notre Dame)...."

So all I was missing a decade ago was billions of dollars to infuse into the system.   Goddamnit.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, bullet said:

New proposal out there:

another good quote:

Under the Smash plan, once current conference media deals end in seven to 10 years, a consolidated, centrally negotiated media deal is struck with Smash and the networks, themselves owning equity in the new “league.” The centralized, for-profit “league,” as it is described in the slide deck, keeps 5-12.5% of new revenues after distributing guaranteed payments to schools (no school will see a decrease in its distribution from what it receives or is projected to receive under its current media contracts).

According to the proposal, school-by-school distributions would skyrocket, cash that presumably would be used to help sustain Olympic sports — something that administrators contend is threatened by the advent of revenue sharing. However, the revenues will be allotted unequally. Project Rudy separates the 70 programs into three tiers.

- Tier 1: the top 16 schools earn per-school revenue projections from $130 million in Year 4, escalating to $250 million in Year 12 (double the SEC and Big Ten’s current distribution rate).

- Tier 2: the next 22 schools earn revenue of $60-$110 million (similar to the SEC and Big Ten current rates).

- Tier 3: the last 32 schools earn projections of $30-$60 million (similar to the Big 12 and ACC rates).

The model offers a variety of ways to determine how to tier schools: the previous season’s results, perhaps, or an aggregate of results over a stretch of seasons. The model also features a relegation and promotion system to pave a way for schools to move up and down the tiers. However, one proposed model suggests having eight “permanent” members of Tier 1, a move presumably to placate the biggest brands in the sport.

The slide deck leaves specific tiering and relegation decisions to those operating the “league,” which, according to the slide deck, includes a centralized “commissioner” or “commissioners.”

The deck describes the model as a win for all sides: schools, fans, networks and, of course, the athletes.

One page of the deck, in fact, details how the increased revenues will “offset player compensation obligations.” Project Rudy is meant to work within the settlement of the House antitrust lawsuit that the NCAA and power conferences struck with plaintiffs. The settlement, preliminarily approved on Monday, will permit universities to directly share revenue with athletes under a capped amount that is expected to average about $25-28 million annually per school over 10 years.

Perhaps not coincidental, Project Rudy, over the 12-year model, projects for each school an annual average revenue increase of $25 million.

I don't like the idea of permanent teir 1 members but surely the metrics can be written to essentially guarantee them permanent placement, like a combination of win percentage and TV ratings. If Michigan goes 5 straight years with a losing record but still draws on average 4M plus in ratings, they don't get relegated. Also think there should be some buffers between "divisions" so you don't come in at #17 and lose something stupid like $30M.

• Hook 'Em 1

It is a business deal. The permanent 8 would be the ones whose presence makes the deal worth what it is. 10 years of bad Michigan or bad Texas football draws more eyeballs than do 10 years of success at NMSU. If you want Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, and Texas to volunteer to be subject to relegation, you may not be 100% rational.

Damn, they need to add two more and go back to six 12-team conferences. Especially if they're going to negotiate a leaguewide media contract. Save money on traveling and expenses, etc. Would also make the playoffs more exciting as noted above.

The no G5 or FCS non-conference games rule seems questionable though. None of those "big boys" (which is what they'll think of themselves as if they're in this league) are going to appreciate 7-5 being a good season. I'm sure it's some of the reasoning behind the valuation but I think that's off. People tune in to see 5-0 Ole Miss play 4-1 South Carolina a heck of a lot more than they will watch 3-2 Ole Miss play 2-3 South Carolina. And that's what happens when the easy 4-0 non-conference slate gets eliminated.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 6

I think the only schools that will have any problem with this are the Big 10 and SEC clingers that have been riding the blue blood gravy train and feel that compensation is a birth right.  Purdue, Mississippi State, etc.

This would be a huge win for the blue bloods and the Big 12/ACC.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 4

I think one FCS and/or one G6 game per season would be fine, those schools need the money, and even the bluebloods can use a warmup game, especially if they are transitioning between QBs or other important positions. 

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think one FCS and/or one G6 game per season would be fine, those schools need the money, and even the bluebloods can use a warmup game, especially if they are transitioning between QBs or other important positions. 

Spring Games!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

In all seriousness, how long will it be before we see something like a one-off "exhibition" inter-squad spring matchup once the NCAA loses its last vestiges of control over Prestige WorldWide Football?

before 2030

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Damn, they need to add two more and go back to six 12-team conferences. Especially if they're going to negotiate a leaguewide media contract. Save money on traveling and expenses, etc. Would also make the playoffs more exciting as noted above.

The no G5 or FCS non-conference games rule seems questionable though. None of those "big boys" (which is what they'll think of themselves as if they're in this league) are going to appreciate 7-5 being a good season. I'm sure it's some of the reasoning behind the valuation but I think that's off. People tune in to see 5-0 Ole Miss play 4-1 South Carolina a heck of a lot more than they will watch 3-2 Ole Miss play 2-3 South Carolina. And that's what happens when the easy 4-0 non-conference slate gets eliminated.

I don't see the need for FCS games.  And its really ridiculous when Michigan, Penn St., Alabama and Georgia do it.

I do agree they aren't ready for 12 P4 games.  So maybe 9 conference games, 2 P4 games, 1 G5 game.  But the 2 G5 and 1 FCS is overkill and leaves money on the table and abuses fans.

46 minutes ago, bullet said:

I don't see the need for FCS games.  And its really ridiculous when Michigan, Penn St., Alabama and Georgia do it.

I do agree they aren't ready for 12 P4 games.  So maybe 9 conference games, 2 P4 games, 1 G5 game.  But the 2 G5 and 1 FCS is overkill and leaves money on the table and abuses fans.

Your use of white space is fierce 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

In all seriousness, how long will it be before we see something like a one-off "exhibition" inter-squad spring matchup once the NCAA loses its last vestiges of control over Prestige WorldWide Football?

Programs barely have spring games anymore but open practices to avoid injuries. I doubt they'd do inter-squad scrimmages. Even the NFL is cutting back on pre-season games. At least the FCS/G6 layup games count for win loss records. 

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Programs barely have spring games anymore but open practices to avoid injuries. I doubt they'd do inter-squad scrimmages. Even the NFL is cutting back on pre-season games. At least the FCS/G6 layup games count for win loss records. 

I don't think the question is about injury or W/L records. Increasingly, the name of the game is money. So the question is, is there the potential for money from a late April, e.g., game between Alabama and Oregon? Played in Texas to help both teams' recruiting?

I’ve liked the FCS spring game idea for years now. I’d love to play SFA (now a UT system school) or Incarnate Word in a glorified scrimmage that is purely an exhibition.  But ban P4 games in the regular season against FCS opponents.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, bullet said:

New proposal out there:

yeah please don't do this.

• Hook 'Em 1