Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

15 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Ok, I get what you’re saying now. I just don’t agree with it. 

I don’t think Texas should schedule FCS teams. I don’t care if other schools do. And it could probably reasonably be argued that the step down from Texas to a G5 school is equivalent to a scrub P4 team stepping down to FCS.

Regardless, who other schools schedule should be up to them and not for someone to ban. 

FBS top 25 Ranked teams versus FCS teams just this year in the 1st three weeks of the season:

Oregon played Idaho

Ole Miss played Furman

Tennessee played Chattanooga

Iowa played Illinois State

Mizzou played Murray State

LSU played Nicholls State

Miami played Florida A&M

Georgia played Tennessee Tech

Nebraska played Northern Iowa

This is pathetic. End of argument.

Just now, TKthunder2 said:

FBS top 25 Ranked teams versus FCS teams just this year in the 1st three weeks of the season:

Oregon played Idaho

Ole Miss played Furman

Tennessee played Chattanooga

Iowa played Illinois State

Mizzou played Murray State

LSU played Nicholls State

Miami played Florida A&M

Georgia played Tennessee Tech

Nebraska played Northern Iowa

This is pathetic. End of argument.

Apparently the schools involved in those games don’t think so. I’m thinking they should be the ones to make that call, not some outraged guy on a message board or anyone else. 

Unless that starts making a difference in playoff seeding or playoff entry and their fans are willing to buy enough tickets, there’s not much other reason to stop them. 

31 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Would be much better if it looked like 

week 1 Rice 

week 2 Penn St 

week 3 Stanford 

week 4 Texas Tech

Yes! This would be far healthier for the sport. I’m not sure how this is even an argument.

I find it funny that on the last page huck accused me of caring about how much money Texas and the SEC make, but then doc comes in and says we need more BAD football because these schools need more than 6 home game for…money…?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

It’s NOT healthy for the sport of college football to schedule like Ole Miss and Ohio State. Please explain how giving schools free wins so coaches can get bowl eligible to play in front of a half empty meaningless bowl game and get a bonus helps make this sport better. We’ve made fun of SEC cupcake week for YEARS, so why people are suddenly defending it? It bottles the mind.

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think we need a few games every year to get right and play back ups. 9 SEC game + 3 BIG games would be great for TV, but it doesn’t leave much room to rest guys that aren’t healthy. 

How about one G5, one Big Ten, and one ACC/B12? Which is basically what we did 2012-2018…

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I find it funny that on the last page huck accused me of caring about how much money Texas and the SEC make, but then doc comes in and says we need more BAD football because these schools need more than 6 home game for…money…?

Maybe stop being such a disingenuous, self-righteous cunt.

What I said was, since multisyllabic — oh, sorry, long — words are confusing to you is: not your business. Don’t want FCS teams? Don’t schedule them. Don’t want too many G5 teams? Don’t schedule them. Don’t like the games? Don’t watch them.

I said fuck all — literally not one word — about how many home games. Why do you just make up shit if you’re so sure you’re right? I referred to money for the FCS (and G5) schools because they get a fat check that helps them actually field a fucking team.

Maybe your mind would be less bottled if you read what people wrote rather than nuking strawmen from orbit. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I referred to money for the FCS (and G5) schools because they get a fat check that helps them actually field a fucking team.

This is the part I actually detest about this the most.   The vast majority of these teams have no business being paired up on the field together.   That's not to say none, but a lot of these FCS teams don't have the depth to run with a bad A4 program, let alone a big brand or $200m SEC school.   So these FCS schools are raising cash for their athletic departments by basically tossing athletes out in front of a moving bus and collecting the insurance money.

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This is the part I actually detest about this the most.   The vast majority of these teams have no business being paired up on the field together.   That's not to say none, but a lot of these FCS teams don't have the depth to run with a bad A4 program, let alone a big brand or $200m SEC school.   So these FCS schools are raising cash for their athletic departments by basically tossing athletes out in front of a moving bus and collecting the insurance money.

The list of top 25 teams playing FCS opponents from above has a few P4 schools playing in state FCS opponents and know that is pretty common in the south, big SEC/ACC school in the state gets roped into playing in-state FCS to cut them a check to keep their athletic department solvent. Maybe if these states just had the P4 schools share their massive wealth in other ways that don't involve tossing athletes from an FCS school out in front of a bus to keep their program afloat? Communism and nonsense I know but that would be a means to an end of the FCS games if you are going to go with player safety as the main reason against.

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Maybe stop being such a disingenuous, self-righteous cunt.

What I said was, since multisyllabic — oh, sorry, long — words are confusing to you is: not your business. Don’t want FCS teams? Don’t schedule them. Don’t want too many G5 teams? Don’t schedule them. Don’t like the games? Don’t watch them.

I said fuck all — literally not one word — about how many home games. Why do you just make up shit if you’re so sure you’re right? I referred to money for the FCS (and G5) schools because they get a fat check that helps them actually field a fucking team.

Maybe your mind would be less bottled if you read what people wrote rather than nuking strawmen from orbit. 

First…never going stop, self righteous cunt for life bitch

Texas doesn’t schedule FCS teams. Texas previously only scheduled 1 G5 team but moved to 2 and now 3 in the last few year which I do not enjoy. I do NOT watch these crappy FCS games (no one does, numbers validate this, NDSU/CU is the exception to this rule) and few watch G5 games.

Bill Snyder and K State fucked this up. We’ve first hand with aggy bragging about their record of the last decade when they scheduled 3 easy wins to our 1.

The world is not a vacuum, if K State does this then Iowa State does it, then Iowa, then Wisconsin, and then soon all the way to Ohio State.

As long as people, recruits, sportswriters, and the committee put emphasis on records and bowls are easily accessible and coaches get bonuses for getting 6 wins it’s not going to organically stop. It would require new rules or regulations.

The SEC saw this as a problem and passed a rule that all teams must play at least one power 5 opponent each year.

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

First…never going stop, self righteous cunt for life bitch

Texas doesn’t schedule FCS teams. Texas previously only scheduled 1 G5 team but moved to 2 and now 3 in the last few year which I do not enjoy. I do NOT watch these crappy FCS games (no one does, numbers validate this, NDSU/CU is the exception to this rule) and few watch G5 games.

Bill Snyder and K State fucked this up. We’ve first hand with aggy bragging about their record of the last decade when they scheduled 3 easy wins to our 1.

The world is not a vacuum, if K State does this then Iowa State does it, then Iowa, then Wisconsin, and then soon all the way to Ohio State.

As long as people, recruits, sportswriters, and the committee put emphasis on records and bowls are easily accessible and coaches get bonuses for getting 6 wins it’s not going to organically stop. It would require new rules or regulations.

The SEC saw this as a problem and passed a rule that all teams must play at least one power 5 opponent each year.

How many power conference schools aren't doing this?  Any?

Also, the SEC only plays 8 conference games where the Big 10 and Big 12 play 9, so they're still mandating the same amount of major conference opponents.  Lastly, no other conferences play FCS opponents in November.

You're picking a silly hill to die on.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How many power conference schools aren't doing this?  Any?

Also, the SEC only plays 8 conference games where the Big 10 and Big 12 play 9, so they're still mandating the same amount of major conference opponents.  Lastly, no other conferences play FCS opponents in November.

You're picking a silly hill to die on.

Per the NCAA’s website the are 121 FBS/FCS matchups this year and this is twice the number as their were a decade ago.

I’ll die on the hill. It’s shit football, it’s shit for ticket holders, fans, TV, players, FCS teams and basically everybody except coaches who pad their win totals and bank accounts.

I don’t understand the push back.

BAD football that brings in more money = Good

GOOD football that brings in more money = Bad

and I feel the same way about the NFL (though I don’t watch that nearly as much). Preseason NFL is dumb, limiting stupid preseason games is ideal, and making fans pay for that preseason games is a ripoff.

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Per the NCAA’s website the are 121 FBS/FCS matchups this year and this is twice the number as their were a decade ago.

I’ll die on the hill. It’s shit football, it’s shit for ticket holders, fans, TV, players, FCS teams and basically everybody except coaches who pad their win totals and bank accounts.

I don’t understand the push back.

BAD football that brings in more money = Good

GOOD football that brings in more money = Bad

and I feel the same way about the NFL (though I don’t watch that nearly as much). Preseason NFL is dumb, limiting stupid preseason games is ideal, and making fans pay for that preseason games is a ripoff.

Look, I’m totally on board with ending P4/FCS games, I just think you’re overblowing the prevalence and effect of this and blaming parties that are no more culpable than average.

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

ABC’s deal with the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma has been a major hit for the network. They are routinely capturing 4+ million viewers across all three windows. Only OOC weeks 2&4 and aggy’s blowout of Mizzou failed to top 4 million.

Last year ABC hitting 4 million across all windows was very rare and this year it’s more common than not. On the other side, viewership on CBS is down 33% through week 7. So far only Michigan/USC in week 4 topped the SEC game from the same week last year. CBS turned down the SEC tier one rights and ended up paying MORE money to the Big Ten for an inferior product. I find that amusing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

ABC’s deal with the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma has been a major hit for the network. They are routinely capturing 4+ million viewers across all three windows. Only OOC weeks 2&4 and aggy’s blowout of Mizzou failed to top 4 million.

Last year ABC hitting 4 million across all windows was very rare and this year it’s more common than not. On the other side, viewership on CBS is down 33% through week 7. So far only Michigan/USC in week 4 topped the SEC game from the same week last year. CBS turned down the SEC tier one rights and ended up paying MORE money to the Big Ten for an inferior product. I find that amusing.

The product is better on ABC anyway. Nessler and Danielson were fine, but ABC has a better bench of broadcasting teams.