Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

The ACC posted their big welcome to SMU, Cal, and Stanford this morning, but the PAC schools aren't in until August 1. The Big XII social media this morning just removed OU and Texas. Just seems really weird to me that ACC would jump the gun. If SMU is official as of today, why not just give them the spotlight?

SMU to the ACC is the equivalent of someone being an unpaid intern at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He's still alive? God damnit. I made this rule a while back, auto neg for citing Swaim. Sorry, gotta be consistent. 

He has recused himself into an opium den in the Himalayas and made a friend named Ehrlich. I basically never give this guy any credit whatsoever, but this news would not surprise me. I don't really think FSU and Clemson in the SEC is super additive, but it certainly makes sense from a defensive standpoint. You don't want the B1G getting a recruiting foothold in Florida or the Carolinas. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He has recused himself into an opium den in the Himalayas and made a friend named Ehrlich. I basically never give this guy any credit whatsoever, but this news would not surprise me. I don't really think FSU and Clemson in the SEC is super additive, but it certainly makes sense from a defensive standpoint. You don't want the B1G getting a recruiting foothold in Florida or the Carolinas. 

Have you looked at Michigan or Ohio State's roster?   There are as many kids from Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Texas as there are from Michigan and Ohio.   They don't really need a foothold.

Stack rank the best of SEC versus the best of the Big Ten.

Texas/Michigan
Bama/tOSU
OU/Pedo
UGA/USC
LSU/Oregon
Florida/Nebraska
Tenn/Wisconsin
aggy/Mich St
Aub/Washington
Ole Miss/Iowa

Yea, the dregs of the Big Ten bring down the AVERAGE but FOX isn’t selling the dregs they are selling the best.

If they let Florida St and Clemson join the Big Ten along with the eventual inevitability of Notre Dame and they’ll have a clear edge. Those 3 programs are the only top 25 stadiums by capacity not currently in the Big Ten/SEC.

I’m not saying that if this happen the SEC is doomed by any means…but I think both the SEC and ESPN would be making a major mistake to let them go without a fight.

11 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

What are we ranking here exactly.

Whatever you want I was just listing them in general on football (bluebloods, near bluebloods, and just outside) we could line them up by national titles or all time wins or whatever, that wasn’t really the point. The point was that it’s roughly balanced before we hit the basketball schools, private schools, has beens and/or never been.

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Whatever you want I was just listing them in general on football (bluebloods, near bluebloods, and just outside) we could line them up by national titles or all time wins or whatever, that wasn’t really the point. The point was that it’s roughly balanced before we hit the basketball schools, private schools, has beens and/or never been.

OK but you left out Arkansas, South Carolina and Kentucky.

I would put all of them resource wise above Iowa.

I think the SEC has more at the top and more at the middle. And the B1G has more at the bottom, plus 2 more programs.

IMO - Within 5-6 years, it won’t be a matter of growing the conference “size,” but a relegation of those current members that aren’t driving $$$ and being replaced by those that can/should. If and after that doesn’t take place, I really think that we are looking at a league/conference of about 32-48-64 that will separate and dictate their own terms.

If your school is a current blood sucker and not a revenue generator, you’d better right your ship within this decade.

Hook’em!!!

IMO - Within 5-6 years, it won’t be a matter of growing the conference “size,” but a relegation of those current members that aren’t driving $$$ and being replaced by those that can/should. If and after that doesn’t take place, I really think that we are looking at a league/conference of about 32-48-64 that will separate and dictate their own terms.

If your school is a current blood sucker and not a revenue generator, you’d better right your ship within this decade.

Hook’em!!!

So you guys follow this a lot closer than me. Is there a scenario where the SEC and BIG start jettisoning the leeches? Perhaps by setting minimum spend numbers for athletics? If that happens does this reduce league sizes or create the final realignment of teams for the ACC and B12?

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

OK but you left out Arkansas, South Carolina and Kentucky.

I would put all of them resource wise above Iowa.

I think the SEC has more at the top and more at the middle. And the B1G has more at the bottom, plus 2 more programs.

Depends on what you’re counting I guess. When was the last time either of those played for a conference title or had a team with playoff potential late in the season? I just don’t see much of a difference between those programs. If we’re counting resources I assume aggy would be towards the top of the list but I don’t think many would put them before anyone I had above them (save maybe Tennessee). And likewise UCLA is hurting for money right now but I don’t think anyone truly believes they be permanently at the bottom of the pack.

Maybe you’d rather I just list them in tiers

Tier 1- bluebloods and those moving that direction
SEC(6): Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas
B1G(4): Michigan, Ohio St, Pedo, USC
Other(3) Notre Dame, Florida St, Clemson

Tier 2- above average programs
SEC(3): Auburn, Tennessee, aggy
B1G(5): Michigan St, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin
Other(1): Miami

Tier 3- average, where most of college football lives
SEC(5): Arkansas, Kentucky, Mizzou, Ole Miss, South Carolina
B1G(4): Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, UCLA
Other(7*): K State, North Carolina, NCSU, Oklahoma St, TCU, Virginia Tech, West Virginia (stopping at 7 but I assume you get my point, the majority would be here)

Tier 4- below average
SEC(2): Mississippi St, Vanderbilt
B1G(5): Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Rutgers 
Other(3*): Duke, Kansas, Virginia

Edited by TKthunder2

54 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Depends on what you’re counting I guess.

That all seems fair. I think the SEC has more at the top and middle and the B1G has a lot more bottom feeders. I would probably move Kentucky, Arkansas, and maybe South Carolina up given their resources. Maybe we need 5 tiers because none of those three really belong with the 3 Tier 2 SEC programs you have listed but I'd easily put them alongside Michigan State and Wisconsin.

In the other category, I would probably move Clemson and Miami down a tier each.

2 hours ago, gatormarc said:

That all seems fair. I think the SEC has more at the top and middle and the B1G has a lot more bottom feeders. I would probably move Kentucky, Arkansas, and maybe South Carolina up given their resources. Maybe we need 5 tiers because none of those three really belong with the 3 Tier 2 SEC programs you have listed but I'd easily put them alongside Michigan State and Wisconsin.

In the other category, I would probably move Clemson and Miami down a tier each.

I’m not claiming this thought layout is perfect, it’s just my general way of thinking about the leagues. While I know we all have some bias here but I think bumping Miami (who has a BCS championship and played in 4 BCS bowls) down and Kentucky/South Carolina (who have never played in a BCS/NY6 bowl) up just isn’t going to sit right with me (Arkansas at least made a BCS Sugar Bowl once). I’d be more likely to bump up Ole Miss or Mizzou if I had to move anyone up.

Regardless, my main point is that no other teams are going to add value to the SEC. If they want to ever expand it will be dilutive unless they do it along with FSU/Clemson. Take those and then go after UNC/UVA to complete the footprint and claim DC to KC and DFW to ATL and everything near and in between. There isn’t much the Big Ten could do to fight that even if they went all in on Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke, NCSU, and Virginia Tech.

FSU/Clemson along with adding Texas/OU in this last round more than offset any perceived lack of strength from adding the flagship’s of Tobacco Road.

TL/DR ... Old Man Yelling at the Kids on God's Lawn

It sucks... it fucking sucks, as in with Bucky Beaver teeth and no saliva that we find ourselves in a place where the greatness of college football has been denigrated and is being destroyed by a bunch of lying, rotten, four flushing, lowlife, snake-licking, dirt eating inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood sucking, dog kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat ass, bug eyed, stiff legged, spotty-lipped, worm headed sack of monkey shit television executives.

Local rivalries mean nothing.

Traditional rivalries mean nothing.

The ease of alums and fans being able to drive to a rival's game and then be home the same night means nothing.

Coffee shops in small towns throughout flyover country which were formerly packed with men talking about college football being left soulless and lifeless.

These eunuch television executives who probably know as much about football as they do fornicating are chasing the almighty dollar not for the sake of any university but for their own shallow and fleeting glory ... to allow them to have a third Mercedes in the driveway, a lifetime supply of erectile dysfunction medication for their tepid, undersized cocks while their wives and mistresses grit their teeth and just want to get through things as they fantasize about fucking their gardeners.

what was once an almost sacred rite of passage, first watching with your dad, then maybe playing for, then supporting your university has become a commercialized money grab with no heart, no soul and a blind slavery to corporate sponsors.

No, it has not made football better perhaps except for those poor excuses masquerading as men, living in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

I weep for the Republic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Regardless, my main point is that no other teams are going to add value to the SEC. If they want to ever expand it will be dilutive unless they do it along with FSU/Clemson. Take those and then go after UNC/UVA to complete the footprint and claim DC to KC and DFW to ATL and everything near and in between. There isn’t much the Big Ten could do to fight that even if they went all in on Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke, NCSU, and Virginia Tech.

I think it's even debatable whether any of those teams add enough to make it worth it for the SEC. Culturally, several ACC teams fit but they aren't a must add.

I don't even see the value in trying to "block" the Big 10.

Who cares if the Big 10 decides to go to 24 and make itself a lumbering mess?  Let it collapse under it's own mass.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

It sucks... it fucking sucks, as in with Bucky Beaver teeth and no saliva that we find ourselves in a place where the greatness of college football has been denigrated and is being destroyed by a bunch of lying, rotten, four flushing, lowlife, snake-licking, dirt eating inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood sucking, dog kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat ass, bug eyed, stiff legged, spotty-lipped, worm headed sack of monkey shit television executives.

The ease of alums and fans being able to drive to a rival's game and then be home the same night means nothing.

Coffee shops in small towns throughout flyover country which were formerly packed with men talking about college football being left soulless and lifeless.

These eunuch television executives who probably know as much about football as they do fornicating are chasing the almighty dollar not for the sake of any university but for their own shallow and fleeting glory ... to allow them to have a third Mercedes in the driveway, a lifetime supply of erectile dysfunction medication for their tepid, undersized cocks while their wives and mistresses grit their teeth and just want to get through things as they fantasize about fucking their gardeners.

what was once an almost sacred rite of passage, first watching with your dad, then maybe playing for, then supporting your university has become a commercialized money grab with no heart, no soul and a blind slavery to corporate sponsors.

No, it has not made football better perhaps except for those poor excuses masquerading as men, living in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

I weep for the Republic.

Yeah, I'll never forget the first CFB game I attended at cavernous Rice Stadium watching from the end zone my YMCA Pop Warner team had to themselves. Walter Abercrombie took a pitch 70+ yards to the house for Baylor while hundreds of green-clad visitors cheered. What an atmosphere!

Ah, memories...

• Haha 1

Just now, gatormarc said:

I think it's even debatable whether any of those teams add enough to make it worth it for the SEC. Culturally, several ACC teams fit but they aren't a must add.

I don't even see the value in trying to "block" the Big 10.

Who cares if the Big 10 decides to go to 24 and make itself a lumbering mess?  Let it collapse under it's own mass.

Personally, I hope the SEC doesn't expand beyond 16 (it's already too big).

I like the 9-game league schedule where everybody plays each other home & away every 4 years. That's the way to go. Maybe we'll finally get what most of us want.

• Hook 'Em 1

My understanding is that, although the SEC and B1G make substantially more media money than the other conferences, the B1G still makes 25% more than the SEC (100M vs. 80M per year). I would be surprised if the SEC did not see that as a problem and a challenge. 

Maybe going to nine conference games bridges that gap? Or most of it? Or maybe ESPN closes the gap by convinciythe SEC to take a couple more teams? Who knows?

I understand how a nine game schedule would work in a 16 team league. Texas would get three annual games with rivals it wants to play (OU), or rivals that badly want Texas annually (Arkansas) or a rival game that TV wants badly (TAMU). 

If it’s an 18 team league, with a nine game conference schedule, wouldn’t there only be one annual rival?

15 minutes ago, statsman said:

My understanding is that, although the SEC and B1G make substantially more media money than the other conferences, the B1G still makes 25% more than the SEC (100M vs. 80M per year). I would be surprised if the SEC did not see that as a problem and a challenge. 

Maybe going to nine conference games bridges that gap? Or most of it? Or maybe ESPN closes the gap by convinciythe SEC to take a couple more teams? Who knows?

I understand how a nine game schedule would work in a 16 team league. Texas would get three annual games with rivals it wants to play (OU), or rivals that badly want Texas annually (Arkansas) or a rival game that TV wants badly (TAMU). 

If it’s an 18 team league, with a nine game conference schedule, wouldn’t there only be one annual rival?

It's really hard to tell because of so many moving parts. Yes, the SEC distribution doesn't count the 9th game yet.

Also the Big 10 distribution relies in large part on Oregon and Washington taking partial shares for the next 5-10 years.

I think the Big 10 will continue to distribute more but the SEC members will continue to make more on their own since the schools themselves are more profitable as they have a more interesting product and actual rivalries and history with the other members of the conference.

As i understand the ESPN contract with the SEC didn't have the language for a renegotiation for TX and OU or for a 9th game. Both part settled on getting TX and OU over and same payouts for now to make everyone whole as part of some expansion clause.  

ESPN in general didnt have a pressing want to regotiate what it considered a favorable contract otherwise . (Similar to acc really) 

I do expect something to change next time around the next negotiation , or for the SEC to go shopping 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

1 hour ago, Lidig8r said:

I weep for the Republic.

IMG_2368.jpeg.65e8ed02f85c68a1467f653ff9d3508f.jpeg

…and I’m here to ride this bitch all the way into the ground, slim pickins style

Dr Strangelove Movie GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/1/2024 at 10:23 AM, mdmost said:

Adding FSU and Clemson just dilutes your overall product more. I don't mean that from the perspective of either not being a good add. They are great adds. I mean from the perspective that you're now making it more difficult for your best teams to play each other and you have to work to keep traditional rivalries going. You already have a shitload of money. Why take on more mouths and make your conference unwieldy? 

From listening to Sankey yesterday, he seems more than content to have just Texas and OU. Clemson and FSU, while great, are not worth getting to a stupidly high number when you already have difficulty getting teams to play each other with 16 teams. 

I know there's this idea that the conferences will eventually split off but I don't see that being desirous for either unless the TV money makes it worthwhile. I haven't seen anything from ESPN or Fox that makes me think they're in a position to pay even more. 

You're adding two of the best teams.  

That's the thing about UNC.  That is a dilution.

And realistically there are only 4 teams outside the SEC/Big 10 who are a threat to win it all-FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame and Miami.  Last year there were 5-6 more, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Washington, Oregon and maybe UCLA.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40458844/conference-change-logistics-sec-acc-big-ten

Meanwhile, everyone is worried about flagpoles and redoing courts.

"LONG BEFORE MONDAY'S celebration in Norman marking the dawn of Oklahoma's new era in the SEC, Greg Tipton, the school's executive associate athletic director for internal operations, facilities and events, had an epiphany.

It was last July, and Oklahoma was already well into its process to chronicle all of the Big 12 logos around campus to be replaced with new SEC marks.

"I need to go count those flagpoles," he thought, about the flags that fly over the south end zone videoboard at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and represent each conference member. "You have your American flag, your state flag, your OU flag high up in the center, but then there were 10 flagpoles. I'm like wait, there's this ... We've got to fix this...."

TCU, however, is over such calculations. At a school that has been in five conferences -- SWC, WAC, Conference USA, Mountain West and Big 12 -- since 1995, staff has a more measured approach to the changes.

"I'm taking all the flagpoles down," said Sassan Sahba, the Horned Frogs' associate AD for facilities and game days. "I'm just putting a graphic on the wall. I'm not going to add in flagpoles for this year, have them be there for three years. Who knows if we're down to eight teams in four years? It just doesn't make any sense. So I'm just taking them all down. I'm putting graphics up on the brick wall in [the north end of Amon G. Carter Stadium]. It is what it is...."

Texas tasked its employees with taking photos of Big 12 logos so it could catalog them, wary of a wayward logo making its way to social media after it had made the move.

Like Oklahoma, the Longhorns aren't very experienced in moving. Their last move, from the SWC, was more of a resignation that the sport was changing, but there was still romanticism in the old league, much like there was for Oklahoma and the Big Eight and for the Pac-12 by all the former members who are now headed elsewhere. No one felt the pressure if one of those logos remained. This time around, it's serious business....

Texas' Drew Martin, a senior associate AD, said the Longhorns replaced the Big 12 logo with the SEC mark in December on their volleyball court more than six months before they were official league members because Gregory Gym, their volleyball court, also serves as a rec sports center. Texas replaces the court every five years, doing it when school is out over winter break. So they discussed it with both conferences and came to an agreement...."

The closest I can recall to anything like that at Florida was that we have flag poles circling the perimeter of The Swamp.

I swear back in the day they were just 2 tone flags with each conference members colors. There are probably 20+ poles and several schools rock similar colors so it really didn't stand out.

I have no idea what flags they are flying there now. Guess I'll look this fall.

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

He's a moron and should not be given the clicks.

I actually had a full screenshot so that we didn't need to load the tweet, but this version of Invision board doesn't seem to auto-embed imgur images or allow you to view source and do it yourself.

I do see now that I could have attached it.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 4.25.49 PM.png

1 minute ago, gatormarc said:

I actually had a full screenshot so that we didn't need to load the tweet, but this version of Invision board doesn't seem to auto-embed imgur images or allow you to view source and do it yourself.

I do see now that I could have attached it.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 4.25.49 PM.png

I'm waiting for that dumbass to tell us again how aggy is going to the B1G.

I'm curious, why would the B1G not want to get into the Texas market?

We've commented many times that the reasons the SEC wanted A&M, were so that they could expand their television footprint into the state of Texas, plus increase their recruiting awareness within the state, all while pulling in a school in A&M that was never going to be a threat to the established football powers of the conference.

Why wouldn't the B1G be interested in using the ags in the same way?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

We used to have 12 flagpoles outside the stadium for each school's flags. Now they're all OSU flags, lol. I wonder how much OU athletics had to borrow to replace the flagpoles and logos?

Each school should get a probationary period of being associate with OSU before they are worthy of a flag.

51 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

I could see how the B1G would be interested in A&M.

But I don't see why A&M would be interested in the B1G.

I'd like to see aggy do this for the laughs. It wouldn't be a program killer, but there'd be an even bigger gap between UT and A&M because of it. You'll love road trips to Ann Arbor, West Lafayette, and East Brunswick, not to mention LA, Eugene, and Seattle.

Do it, aggy!

do it jewish GIF