I've decided to dig a hole

CleverNickname

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That random odd pleasure guys get digging a hole can also be found in filling a hole.  I keep waiting for this thread to turn unexpectantly.

If you want me to give details about how I filled your mom's hole, I will be happy to do it.

Went up Saturday night, got things ready (ran the extension cord, put up work light, set up pully, let down jackhammer, set up a fan). Got an early start Sunday. 

20240818_071739.thumb.jpg.6e13d0027480d67f98cf6a445b5e0a3f.jpg

Worked pretty hard, 630 to 1130. About my limit. Got out 32 buckets of dirt/rocks, and another 6 buckets of just rocks. Hand clenched up for a good 5 minutes after the 40th or so 12' haul of ~40 lb of stuff. 

So now one side is down to 13'. I still need to get the sides straight, and realistically that's a whole trip right there. I want to get a more portable rock hammer. I think it would make chiseling out the rocky layers easier. 

20240818_104457.thumb.jpg.db75454a645587648288790885d3e527.jpg

20240818_084527.thumb.jpg.3dcb6d7f7d92f1281887d359b3f82baa.jpg

Once I clean up that side (space enough for the 4x6 and the 2x shoring - leaving 48x30" ID clear), I can turn the ladder around, and probably raise it a rung or two. Once I get the other side down to 13' it will be time for another set of shoring. I've got the big lumber, but I need 4x 5/8 60" threaded rod, and some angled slot (holds up the 2x lagging). I still have a little lagging I need to finish up and the second level. I like to buy the next set of 4x6 so I can drill the proper 3/4 holes so that they line up well. The rod is pretty forgiving honestly - thank goodness because even with a manual drill press my holes aren't perfectly straight down.

People asked about what I do with the dirt. It is an issue! Sometimes I separate the rocks a bit, and use them for erosion control around the ranch. I have an old pile of dirt from when I started. The hole is in the background.

20240818_072113.thumb.jpg.a118c1cb4082e482bec00daccd0ea533.jpg

A while ago I decided to make use of the dirt. So I stacked some concrete blocks and am making a ramp for the pickup. That way I can load a tiller or whatever a little easier.

20240818_105609.thumb.jpg.8bb3556ba28d0f1ce3d43e246745ac2e.jpg

20240818_072937.thumb.jpg.e72c74e34d4b2cd1c23b771527a4125a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Always a good day when we see your updates.

I recall it was asked prior; what's the ambient temperature like @ ground level vs. bottom of the hole?

Do us some sciencing & try to write this down when you start & when you stop, including the time(s) for start & stop.

We'reCountingOnYou.gif

20 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I recall it was asked prior; what's the ambient temperature like @ ground level vs. bottom of the hole?

I will get a thermometer. I've been keeping just a screen on top (may build some kind frame with 1/4 hardware cloth over bug screen). With a big 3/4 plywood on top, it was trapping to much moisture. 

I would guess down at the bottom it's the mean of the past days temperature. So this morning it was high 80s or so. By the time I left it was 96 outside, but a little cooler inside, even with the fan. But still hot. I do think there is a earth insulating and lagging effect, but without a lid I think the ambiet air temp is the dominant factor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have questions.

1. Final depth?  At some point, I'd start to think about Carbon Dioxide build up.  The fan is a good idea to stir/mix the air. 

2. Lifting heavy dirt buckets one at a time or do ya' have a helper?

3.Speaking of lifting, are you using a straight rope and pulley system?  To cut to the cut on my thinking can you use a cordless drill to gain leverage and save work?

Final thoughts, first, nice job on the ramp and dirt usage.  Second, nice job on using Uni-Strut for a bed rack on the truck.  Finally, if you stumble across an entity with horns, pointy tail and pitchfork named Charla you had better bust out a cross or Bible. Lastly, maybe a username to Digger, Prairie Dog, Worm shit or....?

1. Final Depth: I would like to do 20-22ft. But I dunno, maybe I'll want to keep going. The book advices 2.5x the height of a side tunnel as overburden. So a 5' side tunnel would need 12.5'. Call it 18', plus another 4 or 5' of insurance. 

2. I have an eye out for a hanging hoist with remote. They are not very expensive ($140 or so?) but I also don't want one that is too slow. I can run power over (just and extension cord for now, but I could run some conduit from the pole I guess).

2. ventilation - I have an elbow and 4" vent come in at about 18" in one short side. My plan is to eventually run 4" pvc down a corner on and do a little forced air. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have questions.
1. Final depth?  At some point, I'd start to think about Carbon Dioxide build up.  The fan is a good idea to stir/mix the air. 
2. Lifting heavy dirt buckets one at a time or do ya' have a helper?
3.Speaking of lifting, are you using a straight rope and pulley system?  To cut to the cut on my thinking can you use a cordless drill to gain leverage and save work?
Final thoughts, first, nice job on the ramp and dirt usage.  Second, nice job on using Uni-Strut for a bed rack on the truck.  Finally, if you stumble across an entity with horns, pointy tail and pitchfork named Charla you had better bust out a cross or Bible. Lastly, maybe a username to Digger, Prairie Dog, Worm shit or....?

Carbon dioxide doesn’t randomly build up in holes being dug outdoors….Carbon monoxide however might be a problem if a production source was present in or near the hole (internal combustion engine), but the oxygen consumption of a single human’s respiratory drive is incredibly unlikely to render the atmosphere anywhere close to unsafe, especially given the aforementioned ventilatory efforts.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I have been in China for almost 2 weeks now. I will be leaving in 3 days. You need to get a move on if you want to be greeted by a Texan when you break through.

UserID sorta checks out but you gotta start digging from your end as well.

19 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

And you should sell off the rocks. Souvenirs from the Big Hole or some shit like that. I mean pet rocks were a thing.

I'm thinking @CleverNickname needs to have a hole christening, sorta like they do for boats.  He could make a speech about the arduous effort it took and where he found the inspiration.  He found support from his comrades, blah, blah,....  Hang some banners, invite the Gov or other dignitaries, BBQ some briskets, set up a TV for a little TEXAS football ass kicking on some poor punk ass SEC division rival, you know have a real country Hootenanny.  I'm in for a brisket and bottle of Vodka.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

^^ Labor output is why I asked about the rope and pulley system.  My come a long has an exposed nut that I can put my cordless drill on and take the arm ratcheting out of the equation.   It sure makes life easier sometimes. 

18 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Well... I hope y'all do horizontal drilling / digging as well.

Screenshot_20240818_235934_Chrome.jpg

Yea hate to break it to anybody but pretty much anywhere you dig in Texas (really the entire US for that matter)....you're coming out in the Indian Ocean. But, maybe you find MH370 so keep scooping

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

[mention=2041]CleverNickname[/mention]  any thoughts on running a 20 ft hose to an 18 gallon shop vac to get your dirt out of your hole?  Seems less labor intensive if it had sufficient suction.  I am a hole digging novice however, so I’m sure there is a reason why this wouldn’t work.

A shop vac wouldn’t have near enough head pressure to pull dirt straight up 20 feet I wouldn’t think
  • Like 1

Made another trip, this time with my new friend:

20240824_095234.thumb.jpg.a702ff5fc5651e6bebe61b46550cf7dc.jpg

Maybe hard to tell, but I took out another 6 or so buckets, mainly to straighted up the walls. Handheld demo thing worked amazing. Small chisel broke apart rocks just fine, and it is much lighter than the 40 lb jackhammer. I was able to put the ladder on the lower side of the hole. Raised it two rungs. 

20240824_105518.thumb.jpg.9c9216a5e58ed31b55807a7eced1c95d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 6:28 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Yea hate to break it to anybody but pretty much anywhere you dig in Texas (really the entire US for that matter)....you're coming out in the Indian Ocean. But, maybe you find MH370 so keep scooping

It might suck for those that love the Indian Ocean but could help with our drought conditions.