Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

• 2 weeks later...

It's not quite "east", but it's that tract between Dobie and the South University Avenue "promenade" that just got revamped.  It'll kinda screw up the line of sight between the tower and the capitol.  Plus there's another project in the works just north of Rowling Hall.  

It'll be called the Dolores Clitoris Complex, or Mulva Plaza, please 

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

My thought exactly 

Are they mowing down that church?

It will be built on the footprint of the Dobie parking garage and the adjacent parking lot to the east. University Christian Church (across the street on University Avenue) previously owned the parking lot and sold it to UT. Once the building is completed, University Christian will use the building’s garage for their congregation.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, royiv said:

It will be built on the footprint of the Dobie parking garage and the adjacent parking lot to the east. University Christian Church (across the street on University Avenue) previously owned the parking lot and sold it to UT. Once the building is completed, University Christian will use the building’s garage for their congregation.

Gotcha... that makes sense.  

On 6/13/2024 at 6:23 PM, royiv said:

Hey I used to run sound at that church in high school.  That's all I got.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at the bottom right, I think I see Nicole.  

My oldest loves to talk about all the tall buildings and "what that's name?"  "Is that one gonna be a hotel?"  "How will that one be compared to the Jenga building?  

We happened to be driving over the bridge by Rainey and the SE of the CBD today.  And she started firing off questions that I used to know the answers to.  But it was just one "I dunno" after another from me.

Whenever we go on the Ladybird elevated trail or just the hike 'n bike, she still says, "I don't understand why you could look at that lake and buildings but instead they used that white building to print newspapers?"  

-Yeah sweetie, the city that won't grant us permits for months on end thought it'd be great to have one of the most prominent spots 'downtown' to be a windowless factory where they used---what's that---cadmium to print papers 9 feet from its most precious waterway.  But you see, the paperboys had to stop by there to get their papers...so they carved out a bike lane to make it safe.  And they haven's stopped making bike lanes ever since because .......ahhhhhh......what the hell were we talking about again?  

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we have a new downtown going on?

In Sunny North Austin, a 350-Foot Building Ain’t Nothing To Sneeze At

2700_site.jpg

https://austin.towers.net/in-sunny-north-austin-a-350-foot-building-aint-nothing-to-sneeze-at/?fbclid=IwY2xjawEp79hleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHQ6WdB1uWesk_OlxKZY1HIdYN0FgFYxoAz9Ag5KWfIjhlYFB4ehxZWmSig_aem_sQJOC6aYsc6iAXWXQSbKfQ&pro=jude@towers.net

From the article:

Edited by DalTxHornFan

The courthouse parking will be a nightmare. The construction workers will monopolize all the street parking during construction. That UT system garage across the street is already a nightmare.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Never.  Gonna.  Happen.

It’s amazing to me how the largest infrastructure project ever approved by Austin voters, which has been collecting taxes for almost four years, has gone completely silent. How are people in Austin not making a fuss about not knowing what the hell is going on over at ATP?

28 minutes ago, royiv said:

It’s amazing to me how the largest infrastructure project ever approved by Austin voters, which has been collecting taxes for almost four years, has gone completely silent. How are people in Austin not making a fuss about not knowing what the hell is going on over at ATP?

Because they're used to it.

On 8/27/2024 at 5:27 PM, Deej said:

The courthouse parking will be a nightmare. The construction workers will monopolize all the street parking during construction. That UT system garage across the street is already a nightmare.

I got a jury duty notice for that courthouse which opened way back in 2023.  The instructions to prospective jurors included a suggestion to park in the UT system garage.
Why the hell did Travis County build a brand new family law court building without enough parking for prospective jurors?

I get that there is a parking shortage around the main courthouse because it's pre-WWII but this was a brand new building.

19 hours ago, LCHorn said:

After spending a month in Madrid where half the highways are buried and there’s subways everywhere I just can’t understand why the economics of doing the same here are so terrible.  

I love the system in Madrid. It makes everything so easy. 

There are a lot of factors that make it harder here such as density and our cities are already built for cars. But I think the number one reason is that the public doesn’t truly demand it. A train system is a basic expectation in Europe and much of Asia. Here it is a “nice to have” outside of NYC and Chicago (kinda).

My other hot take is that American cities like to half ass projects. It doesn’t really work for rail. You either need a complete system that allows people to not buy a car or just don’t bother. Example: Austin’s red line. It’s better than nothing but I still need a car.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

A train system is a basic expectation in Europe and much of Asia.

Because that's how it has been since the beginning of time.  Madrid didn't wait until 2020 to throw rails down.