The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

I

1 hour ago, troph said:

Any reason why I shouldn’t pay $65,000 for a 10% share of a 55 foot Hatteras in pristine condition based in Islamorada? Comes with straight up 10% use - I would get 36 days, and 10% of net operating costs and 10% of any net revenue (haha).  I think annual op ex is about $150k he said so another $15k per year?  Probably a sunk cost of $75k for a motor overhaul in 10 years or less.

I can see using it for two 2 week periods easy. Probably work some. Take the kids some. Could make real sense.

Primary owner is a really good friend. He’s about to bring on his first partner 20% and I’m likely to help him do the paper work.

only problem I see is getting to the boat from the airport without having to use the bathroom on the way. My wife is not to happy about the idea of us spending time in Florida on the reg. Happy pride month!

probably won’t pull the trigger this year but I might next.

to be honest the appealing part is Marina life, island life, access to the Bahamas, and access to skinny water which has nothing to do with this boat. We’d go fishing on it don’t get me wrong. But I’d probably fish for tarpon and bones just as much.

it needs aftermarket stabilizers not sure partners would go for it.

I’m still on the sailing path but I’m years out from having both the resources and time to justify seven figures on a boat that’s a days travel away.

And honestly, I don’t want to be the one that has responsibility for the logistics.

I’d like to see that expense breakdown.  Add fuel captain and a deckhand?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I

I’d like to see that expense breakdown.  Add fuel captain and a deckhand?

I probably should have said maintenance / upkeep. But if I were to get serious I would do diligence on costs for sure.

But costs for use are 100% the user. So fuel, Capitan and deckhand costs are paid by the party that incurs them. So during the 36 days I would use it I would have to pay those out of pocket.  Comparable use for 8 days of a 50 foot newer cat in the BVIs is gonna run $12k all in without a crew, that’s just boat costs. Pretty sure I’m not spending $50k more on use over those 36 days. Typical 2 week stay - fish 2-3 times on this boat, live at the marina the rest. I’d fish skinny waters 2-3 times too different set up.  One of the trips we would go all in and skip over to the Bahamas. I’d expect not to go full throttle but cruise at a speed that saves some cash. But that fuel bill will be $3000-5000 I bet? Plus a week or so of a Capitan and deckhand? So yeah that trip would cost.

He makes some money to offset so costs are higher and those charters reduce that. 

his motivation is to reduce costs and frankly to share, he doesn’t like enjoying it alone. 

Edited by troph

11 minutes ago, troph said:

I probably should have said maintenance / upkeep. But if I were to get serious I would do diligence on costs for sure.

But costs for use are 100% the user. So fuel, Capitan and deckhand costs are paid by the party that incurs them. So during the 36 days I would use it I would have to pay those out of pocket.  Comparable use for 8 days of a 50 foot newer cat in the BVIs is gonna run $12k all in without a crew, that’s just boat costs. Pretty sure I’m not spending $50k more on use over those 36 days. Typical 2 week stay - fish 2-3 times on this boat, live at the marina the rest. I’d fish skinny waters 2-3 times too different set up.  One of the trips we would go all in and skip over to the Bahamas. I’d expect not to go full throttle but cruise at a speed that saves some cash. But that fuel bill will be $3000-5000 I bet? Plus a week or so of a Capitan and deckhand? So yeah that trip would cost.

He makes some money to offset so costs are higher and those charters reduce that. 

his motivation is to reduce costs and frankly to share, he doesn’t like enjoying it alone. 

I’m in a “moorings 4200” for a week in July.  First year boat and it’s $5300 for the week.  Sail some but I’ll still spend a chunk on fuel, I’m sure.

What’s a fly guide in bvi cost for a day?  $1,000 all in including tip and gambling money (if you’re not gambling with your fishing guide you’re missing out on one of my life’s greatest pleasures)?

Probably double that if you wanted to be there for a busy week like new years.

If you want a 50, get a 50, but that’s a big boat.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Any reason why I shouldn’t pay $65,000 for a 10% share of a 55 foot Hatteras in pristine condition based in Islamorada? Comes with straight up 10% use - I would get 36 days, and 10% of net operating costs and 10% of any net revenue (haha).  I think annual op ex is about $150k he said so another $15k per year?  Probably a sunk cost of $75k for a motor overhaul in 10 years or less.

I can see using it for two 2 week periods easy. Probably work some. Take the kids some. Could make real sense.

Primary owner is a really good friend. He’s about to bring on his first partner 20% and I’m likely to help him do the paper work.

only problem I see is getting to the boat from the airport without having to use the bathroom on the way. My wife is not to happy about the idea of us spending time in Florida on the reg. Happy pride month!

probably won’t pull the trigger this year but I might next.

to be honest the appealing part is Marina life, island life, access to the Bahamas, and access to skinny water which has nothing to do with this boat. We’d go fishing on it don’t get me wrong. But I’d probably fish for tarpon and bones just as much.

it needs aftermarket stabilizers not sure partners would go for it.

I’m still on the sailing path but I’m years out from having both the resources and time to justify seven figures on a boat that’s a days travel away.

And honestly, I don’t want to be the one that has responsibility for the logistics.

More later got a few things to do right now. But by “aftermarket stabilizers” do you mean a Sea Keeper? I’ve got a Sea Keeper 9 on my boat so that should be the right size. It’s about 200k installed.  And what year is the boat?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I’m in a “moorings 4200” for a week in July.  First year boat and it’s $5300 for the week.  Sail some but I’ll still spend a chunk on fuel, I’m sure.

What’s a fly guide in bvi cost for a day?  $1,000 all in including tip and gambling money (if you’re not gambling with your fishing guide you’re missing out on one of my life’s greatest pleasures)?

Probably double that if you wanted to be there for a busy week like new years.

If you want a 50, get a 50, but that’s a big boat.

As you acknowledge July is close to the cheapest rates for Caribbean charters. Winter is more (prime season). We aren’t boating in the summer like that when the kids are out of school. That day is fast approaching so any discussion about this is over the winter months. And prices are coming down for charters but we’ve paid 8k for a 44 foot and 11k for a 52 foot. I’m getting 25% off calls right now. 

there’s not great fly fishing in the BVIs.  Bone guides in Anegada are cheap if they are there.

its not 100% cost here - trust, opportunity, and easy to take advantage of the situation are a key part. And this is the boat fanatics thread so when you gotta own it you gotta own it.

alternatively I can probably have full use as much as I want but a month of use would be $60k a year easy. 

@justhookit I wanna say 2005-2008? It’s in perfect condition.  I forget the model but it’s an open fly bridge, side master stateroom with its own head, V berth and a crew bunks sharing a head with the V berth.

its the boat I’ve used several times and posted about a few years back.

to be far the $150k net op cost is from memory i haven’t asked him recently and it’s the number I recall him telling me.

Edited by troph

17 minutes ago, justhookit said:

More later got a few things to do right now. But by “aftermarket stabilizers” do you mean a Sea Keeper? I’ve got a Sea Keeper 9 on my boat so that should be the right size. It’s about 200k installed.  And what year is the boat?

I don’t think I can get a sea keeper agreed to but I would absolutely throw my $20k in for one.

Hell, just do it assuming it makes sense for what you are looking for. You know the owner, you know the boat, you know the dock/area, for a partial interest that’s better than most deals you will find. You can rent small boats for day use all around south Florida which are cheaper than going guided once you know the area better. 

I would lean more towards a condo with a boat out back, but I’m not big on dock life at this point and I strictly sight fish so a big boat doesn’t make sense for me. 

Posted (edited)

Don’t get me wrong I love catching pelagics and trolling for them but sight fishing in skinny water and trout fishing in the mountains are my absolute must do fishing.  This would be additive to my flyfishing and give me the excuse to be in the keys during the winter. I’ll still find a way to be in the mountains during the summer. 

Edited by troph

@troph

What’s the rule on Cuba?

I would pay a premium for a run over to Havana, couple of nights on my boat, then out with nothing but a passport stamp.

Thats got to be similar distance from Islamorada to Bahamas right?

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

@troph

What’s the rule on Cuba?

I would pay a premium for a run over to Havana, couple of nights on my boat, then out with nothing but a passport stamp.

Thats got to be similar distance from Islamorada to Bahamas right?

I’d have to check but I don’t think it’s open for private boats last I saw - it was in my periphery - I thought it was by air and cruise ships only, but even that was more than a few years ago.

I’m with you if Cuba was open for private boats I’m in tomorrow. 

On 6/8/2024 at 7:18 AM, troph said:

As you acknowledge July is close to the cheapest rates for Caribbean charters. Winter is more (prime season). We aren’t boating in the summer like that when the kids are out of school. That day is fast approaching so any discussion about this is over the winter months. And prices are coming down for charters but we’ve paid 8k for a 44 foot and 11k for a 52 foot. I’m getting 25% off calls right now. 

there’s not great fly fishing in the BVIs.  Bone guides in Anegada are cheap if they are there.

its not 100% cost here - trust, opportunity, and easy to take advantage of the situation are a key part. And this is the boat fanatics thread so when you gotta own it you gotta own it.

alternatively I can probably have full use as much as I want but a month of use would be $60k a year easy. 

@justhookit I wanna say 2005-2008? It’s in perfect condition.  I forget the model but it’s an open fly bridge, side master stateroom with its own head, V berth and a crew bunks sharing a head with the V berth.

its the boat I’ve used several times and posted about a few years back.

to be far the $150k net op cost is from memory i haven’t asked him recently and it’s the number I recall him telling me.

Yeah I remember your posts about this boat. That’s the same layout as mine and I really like the side master (old boat had the master forward which sucked). 150k would probably be in the ballpark on fixed expenses as an average but it’s tough to say without a lot more info. And that figure can fluctuate pretty wildly year to year but I know you are easily in a position to handle it. That boat probably has CAT 3412 engines which are reliable and relatively easy to work on. Depending on how many hours are on the engines a boat that age is likely due for an overhaul very soon if it hasn’t already been done. Same with the generator(s) but that’s much less expensive.

Anyway, no way I would ever give that deal on my boat to someone paying 10% and then letting them use it for 36 days every year. You are getting a good deal.

On 6/8/2024 at 7:20 AM, troph said:

I don’t think I can get a sea keeper agreed to but I would absolutely throw my $20k in for one.

It wouldn’t make much sense unless the owner knows for a fact they are keeping the boat a long time. I’m not sure a Seakeeper would move the sales price much if at all. That said, they are amazing and I don’t know how I ever lived without one.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2024 at 1:29 AM, justhookit said:

Yeah I remember your posts about this boat. That’s the same layout as mine and I really like the side master (old boat had the master forward which sucked). 150k would probably be in the ballpark on fixed expenses as an average but it’s tough to say without a lot more info. And that figure can fluctuate pretty wildly year to year but I know you are easily in a position to handle it. That boat probably has CAT 3412 engines which are reliable and relatively easy to work on. Depending on how many hours are on the engines a boat that age is likely due for an overhaul very soon if it hasn’t already been done. Same with the generator(s) but that’s much less expensive.

Anyway, no way I would ever give that deal on my boat to someone paying 10% and then letting them use it for 36 days every year. You are getting a good deal.

thanks, we'll see. we are at the inflection point with kids - empty nest in sight - so many options this being one of them. I'll keep over thinking the crud out of all of it for the next year or so and make a decision or no-decision, who the fuck knows.

One thing I would add is be careful what you buy before you know where the kids are going once they leave. We sold our place in South Florida a few months before Ian and had our replacement purchase fall through because of Ian. It took a while before we could legitimately start looking again and in that time frame our kids have become more certain about where they are going for college and post college and it is definitely not south. We’re looking out west and in Chicago now. I’m still going to buy another place in South Florida but I’m probably going to look smaller and in a different area than where we were originally going back.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Brew said:

One thing I would add is be careful what you buy before you know where the kids are going once they leave. We sold our place in South Florida a few months before Ian and had our replacement purchase fall through because of Ian. It took a while before we could legitimately start looking again and in that time frame our kids have become more certain about where they are going for college and post college and it is definitely not south. We’re looking out west and in Chicago now. I’m still going to buy another place in South Florida but I’m probably going to look smaller and in a different area than where we were originally going back.

good point, they are looking west. WA/OR right now. in fact all our college visits later this year are PNW. Trawler in the San Juans it is.

I need 9 fucking lives man. I'd live all of them like I only had 1.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, troph said:

that looks safe.

IDK, maybe they have a seakeeper?

I bet a passenger could smoke a cigar in about a minute and a half.

csb: My brother had a Glastron with Merc Lake X motor...  I rode in that thing ONCE

Edited by locodos

8 hours ago, troph said:

that looks safe.

That’s almost exactly how my bay boat rides (but on pad and not straight keel).  The pad is about 12x18” and once it’s on it, it’s as smooth and stable as can be.  Unfortunately, I’m about 2 mph slower than when the chine walk starts on that hull. Will be something I’ll have to cross when it gets repowered, but #absolutelyworthit

Reminds me of when I was a teenager, long time ago. We had a 13' Boston Whaler that was rated @ 35 hp max, and we had a 50 hp merc on it....it planed on the last 3" of the hull. My brother and I took it from Newport to Avalon, 26 miles...had to swap fuel tanks once. Slept on the beach, returned back to the mainland the next day. Both runs required early morning glass. Used to water ski behind it too...but you had to step start  with a load of slack. When you cut on the ski you could steer the boat with your leverage.  Fall? Back to the beach...

• Like 1

A blazing hot 60* day up here in God’s country.  Balmy weather and calm seas so I can cruise through it at 40 kts on the way to fish. Saw an excellent whale show today as well. 

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Joined the Crownline facebook group years ago, and one of the most popular posts is "do you have a <insert letter> for a <insert year>?"  People constantly debadging their boats and selling off the letters one by one.  

On 6/18/2024 at 10:48 PM, markstanco said:

We all know the acronym BOAT.

Don’t hit the raised lettering on the side of the boat and crack it. You can’t buy just the “B” on a Moomba. You have to buy them all.

Ain't no different for MasterCraft and there's a shit-ton more letters to buy from Vanna too.

Found that out the hard way.

Took the boat 100 miles out to the open ocean off the coast of Yakobi island, smoked a limit of king salmon and a 24 pound long cod.  On the way back it got a little sporty in front of Glacier Bay, but it’s hard to shoot video when 4-5’ waves are going over the bow, so it’s just 2-3’ in the vid.  The pic off the bow is about 5 minutes after the video and it never ceases to amaze me how much turning one corner can change conditions in the inside passage.  Also a bonus video of a killer whale chasing salmon away from the boat. 

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, USCATX said:

Took the boat 100 miles out to the open ocean off the coast of Yakobi island, smoked a limit of king salmon and a 24 pound long cod.  On the way back it got a little sporty in front of Glacier Bay, but it’s hard to shoot video when 4-5’ waves are going over the bow, so it’s just 2-3’ in the vid.  The pic off the bow is about 5 minutes after the video and it never ceases to amaze me how much turning one corner can change conditions in the inside passage.  Also a bonus video of a killer whale chasing salmon away from the boat. 

IMG_1078.mov

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_1066.mov

24 pound ling is a big son of a bitch.  Hitch hiker or did you hook it?  Last year we brought in a couple hitch hikers but they were in the slot where we had to throw them back.  Mean looking bastards.

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

24 pound ling is a big son of a bitch.  Hitch hiker or did you hook it?  Last year we brought in a couple hitch hikers but they were in the slot where we had to throw them back.  Mean looking bastards.

Hooked it trolling for kings.  My dad is a resident so no slot for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Cousin ran his Skater in the Outlaw Challenge in Kemah this weekend. 

*pics from Havasu
53809338473_2cf26cf6c9_b.jpg53809097776_cfb8dbc294_b.jpg53809097766_fcb234d948_b.jpg
Did not win but also did not die. #Winning

Where are the strippers supposed to sun their asses on that thing?