The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Heard through the Canyon Lake coconut telegraph that they were going push the docks at the little marina further out into deeper water and wondered how?  

Well, I drove down there today and witnessed this redneck shit in action...

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I know that docks are restricted on canyon lake, but could you float a buoy on a block out there off property to have an easy place to post up? 

People do it.  There’s one in the cove a couple of hundred yards from my house.  That’s where I’ve been beaching my boat.

Until today because I’m finally getting that slip at the marina, HOLLA!

Edited by Cajun

• 2 weeks later...

For the sailboat folks..   Saw these this morning during a bike ride. Replicas of Nina and Pinta. It is amazing how small these ships are. They apparently are on tour but I have no idea how they got on the Tennessee River and where they go next..

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

For the sailboat folks..   Saw these this morning during a bike ride. Replicas of Nina and Pinta. It is amazing how small these ships are. They apparently are on tour but I have no idea how they got on the Tennessee River and where they go next..

I have one theory...  They sailed there?

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/19/2024 at 3:01 PM, Sbbruin said:

On 8/19/2024 at 3:12 PM, Chewbacca said:

That's crazy to me that a 185' yacht can sink from a waterspout.

I first read some analysis that some thought it would be close to impossible for a sailboat to capsize within minutes when the keel would work to right the boat. Then short of massive hull breeches, a boat that size would take time to sink.

But then I read how the sailboat had a feature to raise the keel for use in shallow harbors or at anchorage. No official word if the keel was extended or not. 

https://nypost.com/2024/08/22/world-news/bayesian-investigators-probe-whether-subtle-mistake-could-have-caused-yacht-to-sink/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I first read some analysis that some thought it would be close to impossible for a sailboat to capsize within minutes when the keel would work to right the boat. Then short of massive hull breeches, a boat that size would take time to sink.

But then I read how the sailboat had a feature to raise the keel for use in shallow harbors or at anchorage. No official word if the keel was extended or not. 

https://nypost.com/2024/08/22/world-news/bayesian-investigators-probe-whether-subtle-mistake-could-have-caused-yacht-to-sink/

Yeah, I read that too.  My guess is it was raised, and that's why it went over.  And a stern hatch appears to have been open just above the waterline that let in a lot of water.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting video of a waterspout flipping a catamaran like a toy and knocking a much larger vessel almost completely on its side.  Scroll to 5:15

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some advice here.  I'm selling our 2002 Crusers Yacht 3870 (40' cabin cruiser) that's on Lake Travis.   What would be the easiest way to a quick sell?  Asking price will be about 20% less than Boat Trader for same make/model.  It's mechanically sound but not 'updated' with modern lighting, flooring, electronics.  I've been told that boat brokers wont deal with older boats.  So is Boat Trader my best route?  Anything else?  The marina wont let me 'For Sale' it on the dock.

boat.jpg

Have you confirmed that brokers won’t deal with it? My marina has a great broker that sells pretty much everything at the marina. Current listings include a 54foot sea ray to an 18 foot sea ray and all kinds of shit in between.

Cool boat btw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 8/23/2024 at 2:02 PM, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, I read that too.  My guess is it was raised, and that's why it went over.  And a stern hatch appears to have been open just above the waterline that let in a lot of water.

Even with the keel down, the AVS on that yacht was not good. It wouldn't recover from a full knockdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

dumb question amnesty please.

Do megayacht captains carry their own insurance?

Those boats are floating international corporations.  Yes it is insured.

It's hard to tell from that pic, but it occurred to me that unless you know 17th St Causeway in Fort Lauderdale you can't tell that the tide has the boat 90degrees to the channel and pinned up against the piers channel.  The big (relative term) boats stay out in the turning basin instead of going up the intercoastal.  He was stuck on the far side pinned parallel to the bridge

CausewayBridge_Carusel_2b_800x536.jpg

6 minutes ago, locodos said:

I assume they are very well insured.

I was more wondering if megayacht captains are employees of said international corp, or independent contractors and the possible resultant insurance/liability fuckery of a screw up like the picture.

1 hour ago, locodos said:

It's hard to tell from that pic, but it occurred to me that unless you know 17th St Causeway in Fort Lauderdale you can't tell that the tide has the boat 90degrees to the channel and pinned up against the piers channel.  The big (relative term) boats stay out in the turning basin instead of going up the intercoastal.  He was stuck on the far side pinned parallel to the bridge

CausewayBridge_Carusel_2b_800x536.jpg

Was he going to Pier 66 or the Hilton Marina?

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I assume they are very well insured.

I was more wondering if megayacht captains are employees of said international corp, or independent contractors and the possible resultant insurance/liability fuckery of a screw up like the picture.

They are employees of the corporation. Insurance is issued to the owner/company. Captain has nothing to do with it, but most insurance requires a licensed captain rated for the vessel size.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm in Virginia for 2 weeks to do some boat work. We'll return in October for final prep, splash, and then haul ass south.

Our starboard engine overheated last year when it went above 2000rpm and I finally got time to rip apart the raw and fresh water cooling systems to clean them and replace several bits. This would explain a large part of the overheating issue:

image.thumb.jpeg.4f8a8c0799cf50fd91a050d6c2de4b81.jpeg

The boatyard expanded 2 years ago and can now fit 85 catamarans. This is about a third of them:

image.thumb.jpeg.67ca646ec013d4d363ca0274189d9b03.jpeg

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1