Ivan Melendez: Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Year

texifornia

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

so as i understand it, the stance from MLB teams is that ivan may have already peaked? 

Basically. 

I have two friends in scouting community and up to the draft they told me he was a 3rd-5th rounder.  I thought that was insane when looking at his actual production relative to recent draft comps. 

They would mention his age, no position versatility and concerns over his bat speed.  I thought age was dumb-  he improved dramatically year over year and is a kid who came from JUCO and lost a season to COVID;  if anything, I think that would mean he may still have room to develop.  I think he can be serviceable at 1B and if his bat is what it looks like, who gives a fuck-  that guy can DH.  Re- bat speed,  I have no idea, just what was relayed.   Looked pretty good to me though and I wouldn't bet against him.

image.thumb.png.57e99750e8695b2ac8139e4eb1d474dc.png

38 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i've never understood the age thing. jose abreu debuted at 27. ichiro was 28. if you can hit you can hit.

You’re probably more of a basketball guy so think about the reasons why so many more youngsters , particularly at the top, are drafted by the NBA versus seniors. There will be a few clues there. 

Edited by TonyTexas

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol what. 

Sometimes you see 'bat speed' thrown around meaning different things.

In Ivan's case, they're just referring to him having a longer swing.  By longer, think time from starting his swing to contact.  The concern is that against better pitching (more deceptive, higher velocity) a guy with a longer swing has to get going earlier and as a result doesn't have quite as much time to recognize spin/location.  It's not damning-  plenty of guys out there with long powerful swings that get by with elite early pitch recognition. 

8 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Sometimes you see 'bat speed' thrown around meaning different things.

In Ivan's case, they're just referring to him having a longer swing.  By longer, think time from starting his swing to contact.  The concern is that against better pitching (more deceptive, higher velocity) a guy with a longer swing has to get going earlier and as a result doesn't have quite as much time to recognize spin/location.  It's not damning-  plenty of guys out there with long powerful swings that get by with elite early pitch recognition. 

That makes more sense. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I pulled their roster, and while he’s having a decent yr his teammate is absolutely crushing even more so. Same number of HR in half the AB type stuff. That lineup is just shit show power