Joker: Folie a Deux

Bogeywon

Posted (edited)

It's a tough watch.

I think it is put well above, a sequel that didn't want, or need, to be made.

The ending is the only thing that was cool. That is exactly how the movie deserved to die, and it tied to Ledger's Joker.

Edited by pacman

17 hours ago, Red Five said:

It's not often I change my stance on whether or not to see a movie based on the reviews.... but wow those are bad. 

I'll always take a Critic score on RT with a grain of salt (currently at 39%). But when you couple that with a 37% Audience score that is coming from the fanboi diehards, you're gonna have a bad time.

5 hours ago, pacman said:

It's a tough watch.

The ending is the only thing that was cool. That is exactly how the movie deserved to die, and it tied to Ledger's Joker.

The ending is so fucking stupid if you think about it for even 5 minutes. How the fuck could it be the ledger joker when harvey dent was burned just a scene earlier?

On 10/4/2024 at 10:24 AM, pacman said:

It's a tough watch.

On 10/4/2024 at 4:11 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

The ending is so fucking stupid if you think about it for even 5 minutes. How the fuck could it be the ledger joker when harvey dent was burned just a scene earlier?

I agree that the sequel didn't need to be made. Joker had its issues, but it was overall a good movie, and I'm not generally into superhero movies. This was a beating, though. I'll spoiler stuff out of an abundance of caution, even though some stuff has been revealed already.

Spoiler

Overall, the most disappointing thing about the plot twist was that before it, I thought I was watching a villain origin story. Now, it turns out we were just watching some random psycho named Arthur Fleck who inspired the actual Joker? He really was, as he said at the end, just Arthur Fleck? A secondary issue to me was the random sidebar about Lee being rich and going to grad school for psychology. I thought they were going to come back to that, like she really was playing him, but I don't think that's where they landed. Both my son and I came away bored and disappointed. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

A lot of people are gonna be pissed they got backdoored into seeing a musical. 

I feel like all of the promo has talked about it being a musical, so it would be hard to miss that aspect going in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I know the answer is, "Because money," but I don't understand how this one got green lit.

"Let's use the Joker character to take a deep, dark dive into the world of mental illness and the complete failings of the mental health care system, where a disturbed, forgotten individual ultimately snaps in what is, sadly, a relatable villain origin story."

"Cool, but let's make a sequel with a love interest this time!"

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know the answer is, "Because money," but I don't understand how this one got green lit.

"Let's use the Joker character to take a deep, dark dive into the world of mental illness and the complete failings of the mental health care system, where a disturbed, forgotten individual ultimately snaps in what is, sadly, a relatable villain origin story."

"Cool, but let's make the sequel a musical with a love interest this time!"

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2024 at 5:58 PM, MrBig said:

A lot of people are gonna be pissed they got backdoored into seeing a musical. 

new-girl-zooey-deschanel.gif.97095c3376f4d5621b34c092580e8938.gif

Guess I obviously didn't pay much attention to trailers and promos. This movie was really hard to make it through. After an hr and a half when each unecessary musical number started I would throw my hands up and look to comment with other people in theater, but remembered there were none.

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2024 at 5:32 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

I'll always take a Critic score on RT with a grain of salt (currently at 39%). But when you couple that with a 37% Audience score that is coming from the fanboi diehards, you're gonna have a bad time.

the studios cant even blame it on the fans this time

I don't know how anyone could have missed the memo that this movie was a musical. It was heavily promo'es as such.

I love the first and thought the second was extremely bleak but still glad I saw it.  Maybe not being a big comic book movie guy makes a difference? I've only seen like 3 MCU movies

On 10/5/2024 at 8:12 PM, austingirl said:

I agree that the sequel didn't need to be made. Joker had its issues, but it was overall a good movie, and I'm not generally into superhero movies. This was a beating, though. I'll spoiler stuff out of an abundance of caution, even though some stuff has been revealed already.

Joker was not a superhero movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I never got over someone (I think it was either Screencrush or Honest Trailers) saying Jared Leto in Suicide Squad was basically doing a mix of the Joker and Jim Carrey in The Mask. When you watch it thinking he's doing a Jim Carrey send up, it's even better. 

Edited by mdmost