Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Guess I'll say it: Fuck Texas

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Bulletproof

Shields

FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS

Umbrellas and sunscreen would be more fitting.   

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Michigan probably deserves to be in my redesigned United States, because of its union roots, but fuck all that. Too much southern red up north vibes. 

I sent their Prime Minister a message offering to trade Michigan for British Columbia. I never heard an answer, so I think they're considering it!

image.thumb.jpeg.5c85f992a8e1eba46345ace977d6f306.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SIAP. The Uvalde police could prevent disclosure of many aspects (911 calls, camera footage, etc.) of this shooting due to the dead suspect loophole. Basically since the shooter will never be convicted, the police have the right to not disclose info. The concept is to protect the wrongly accused but deceased suspects also are protected.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/dead-suspect-loophole-could-be-used-to-block-release-of-uvalde-records/

Phelan has already called to close this loophole. That was attempted in one of the last sessions but it was killed in the Texas Senate.

If it was an unarmed black dude killed by the cops then we’d know all about his history of any petty crime. Oooh, he was once busted for possession of a gram of pot! (Or he shoplifted some cheap cigars.) He had it coming!

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SIAP. The Uvalde police could prevent disclosure of many aspects (911 calls, camera footage, etc.) of this shooting due to the dead suspect loophole. Basically since the shooter will never be convicted, the police have the right to not disclose info. The concept is to protect the wrongly accused but deceased suspects also are protected.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/dead-suspect-loophole-could-be-used-to-block-release-of-uvalde-records/

Phelan has already called to close this loophole. That was attempted in one of the last sessions but it was killed in the Texas Senate.

Creates a perverse incentive for them to make sure the suspect is killed in any cases where they think they may have screwed up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

Creates a perverse incentive for them to make sure the suspect is killed in any cases where they think they may have screwed up. 

First unwritten rule of the playbook, dead men tell no tales.

• Like 1

Texas leads nation in mass shootings, and gun statistics point to why

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/06/03/texas-leads-nation-in-mass-shootings-and-gun-statistics-point-to-why/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=What+D-FW+home+buyers+need%2C+artifacts+the+DMA+lost%2C+Uvalde+update%3A+Your+Friday+evening+roundup&utm_campaign=EveningRoundup_06032022&vgo_ee=G5ZzP3v1amoyCbpHAsI3U%2F264Y3QoorA2teXP6VQnmM%3D

Texas is home to slightly more than 6,000 gun sellers, according to May 2022 licensing data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. That’s more than twice as much as any other state.

Texas also led the U.S. in estimated minimum gun sales from 2017 to 2020, according to a new ATF report, and was first in most major categories of licensed gun sale s.

On May 24, an 18-year-old gunman in Uvalde killed 19 elementary school children and two teachers, pushing Texas past California for the most mass shootings in the nation — a total of 31. The FBI defines mass shootings as incidents in which at least four people are murdered with a gun.

Texas also has had more people killed in mass shootings than any other state, according to data compiled by Everytown for Gun Safety stretching back to 2009, and the second-highest number of people killed in a single mass shooting, behind Nevada.

Researchers and gun safety advocates aren’t surprised by mass shootings in Texas, where guns are plentiful and accessible largely due to lax and permissive laws.

How gun sales in Texas compare with other states

Texas is the second-most populous state in the U.S., but population was not always a factor in gun sales. Two other heavily populated states — California (first) and New York (fourth) — were not near the top in terms of gun sales and dealers.

And when it comes to multiple gun purchases, Texas also takes the top spot.

Among the Southwest border states, Texas produced the majority of multiple rifle sales, which must by law be reported to the ATF. From 2016 to 2020, Texas accounted for more than 53% of multiple rifle sales, according to the ATF’s 300-page National Firearms in Commerce and Trafficking Assessment Report.

Nationwide, Texas and Florida were responsible for about 20% of all reported multiple gun sales, the ATF report said.

Texas also led the U.S. in 2020 for the number of manufacturers and dealers of certain specialized weapons, such as short-barreled rifles and shotguns, machine guns and silencers, which are regulated and taxed under a separate federal law, according to the ATF report.

The most recent gun legislation to emerge from Texas made it easier for people to access guns.

Texas Republicans pushed through the measure, which allows residents to openly carry guns without a permit. Abbott devised, approved and signed the law against the advice of law enforcement officials.

The new permitless carry law didn’t contribute to the Uvalde mass shooting. But it reflects the state’s obsession with gun culture despite polls indicating most Texans support some gun control measures.

Abbott recently called for special legislative committees to examine what legislation and action might be taken to prevent future school shootings. Experts predict it will not produce any laws limiting access to firearms.

Related:Five years. Five shootings. 87 dead in Texas. What gun laws could’ve applied in each case?

4 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Can't we just save the 50 mil and send them in with thoughts and prayers instead?

I expect the Texas Legislature to pass a bill adding bullet proof vests to the list of school supplies.

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

some of those that work forces,

are the same that burn crosses

FUCK YOU, I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME 

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!

I saw that first piece on CBS News. I hadn’t seen the update about them harassing her about her past. Motherfuckers. MOTHERFUCKERS.

It is exactly the right metaphor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I expect the Texas Legislature to pass a bill adding bullet proof vests to the list of school supplies.

Of course. Follow the money. Every solution offered by the GOP will make different companies millions. Ballistic blankets in every room - millions of $$$… etc etc.

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Texas leads nation in mass shootings, and gun statistics point to why

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/06/03/texas-leads-nation-in-mass-shootings-and-gun-statistics-point-to-why/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=What+D-FW+home+buyers+need%2C+artifacts+the+DMA+lost%2C+Uvalde+update%3A+Your+Friday+evening+roundup&utm_campaign=EveningRoundup_06032022&vgo_ee=G5ZzP3v1amoyCbpHAsI3U%2F264Y3QoorA2teXP6VQnmM%3D

Texas is home to slightly more than 6,000 gun sellers, according to May 2022 licensing data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. That’s more than twice as much as any other state.

Texas also led the U.S. in estimated minimum gun sales from 2017 to 2020, according to a new ATF report, and was first in most major categories of licensed gun sale s.

On May 24, an 18-year-old gunman in Uvalde killed 19 elementary school children and two teachers, pushing Texas past California for the most mass shootings in the nation — a total of 31. The FBI defines mass shootings as incidents in which at least four people are murdered with a gun.

Texas also has had more people killed in mass shootings than any other state, according to data compiled by Everytown for Gun Safety stretching back to 2009, and the second-highest number of people killed in a single mass shooting, behind Nevada.

Researchers and gun safety advocates aren’t surprised by mass shootings in Texas, where guns are plentiful and accessible largely due to lax and permissive laws.

How gun sales in Texas compare with other states

Texas is the second-most populous state in the U.S., but population was not always a factor in gun sales. Two other heavily populated states — California (first) and New York (fourth) — were not near the top in terms of gun sales and dealers.

And when it comes to multiple gun purchases, Texas also takes the top spot.

Among the Southwest border states, Texas produced the majority of multiple rifle sales, which must by law be reported to the ATF. From 2016 to 2020, Texas accounted for more than 53% of multiple rifle sales, according to the ATF’s 300-page National Firearms in Commerce and Trafficking Assessment Report.

Nationwide, Texas and Florida were responsible for about 20% of all reported multiple gun sales, the ATF report said.

Texas also led the U.S. in 2020 for the number of manufacturers and dealers of certain specialized weapons, such as short-barreled rifles and shotguns, machine guns and silencers, which are regulated and taxed under a separate federal law, according to the ATF report.

The most recent gun legislation to emerge from Texas made it easier for people to access guns.

Texas Republicans pushed through the measure, which allows residents to openly carry guns without a permit. Abbott devised, approved and signed the law against the advice of law enforcement officials.

The new permitless carry law didn’t contribute to the Uvalde mass shooting. But it reflects the state’s obsession with gun culture despite polls indicating most Texans support some gun control measures.

Abbott recently called for special legislative committees to examine what legislation and action might be taken to prevent future school shootings. Experts predict it will not produce any laws limiting access to firearms.

Related:Five years. Five shootings. 87 dead in Texas. What gun laws could’ve applied in each case?

Bullshit. Clearly it’s

no pledge or prayer in school

single parent households 

video games

LGBTQ+ and CRT controlling the school curriculum 

and of course too many doors

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I was told that the left keeps moving to the left.  

Ima go out on a limb here: Canada effectively killing what was already heavily restricted (legal) handgun ownership this week probably reduced the chances of compromise from the right

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the President should be honest with the American people.  There simply will never be a stack of dead children tall enough for the GOP to to take any real action to curtail anything but guns being the leading cause of child mortality in our country.

There is simply no a pile big enough for any real action.  No line of caskets long enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 3

59 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I think the President should be honest with the American people.  There simply will never be a stack of dead children tall enough for the GOP to to take any real action to curtail anything but guns being the leading cause of child mortality in our country.

I assume this is your source?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201761

When you Google this you see headline after headline leaving off the word "adolescent" (technically 10-19 year olds). 

18 and 19 year olds are adults in our society. Some are functionally adults before then because they drop out of school or whatever.

If you remove the 18 and 19 year olds or remove gang on gang violence from this data, I wonder how much it changes. 

• Fuck You 2

How can we outlaw bazookas then? Can they not be used in self defense?

Or tanks or surface to air missiles or tactical nukes? How do we stop 5 year olds and violent felons from buying guns? The NO RESTRICTIONS!!!! crowd happily ignores the multiple restrictions that already exist just like the MASKS ARE TYRANNY crowd ignored the 50000 other laws on the books they have to comply with.

Was having to look up a county judge for work and on his Facebook he had a I AINT IMPOSING COVID RESTRICTIONS and plenty of people were like yeah damn right. His previous post was imposing a burn ban and amazingly no one was screeching or crying about how the government can’t tell them what to do and why can’t people decide for themselves and they don’t live in FEAR and if you don’t wanna burn things STAY HOME.
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, B00M said:

When you Google this you see headline after headline leaving off the word "adolescent" (technically 10-19 year olds). 

18 and 19 year olds are adults in our society. Some are functionally adults before then because they drop out of school or whatever.

If you remove the 18 and 19 year olds or remove gang on gang violence from this data, I wonder how much it changes. 

So what you’re saying is the age to own a gun should be at least 21. Glad you’re on board

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So what you’re saying is the age to own a gun should be at least 21. Glad you’re on board

I've said repeatedly that raising the age of legal ownership of semi-autos for MALES is one of the only things we can actually do to reduce school shootings.

But we need to understand that school shootings and legally acquired firearms represent a tiny portion of these statistics... And any gun laws passed today would take decades to affect gang related gun violence, assuming they ever can given what's already out there and the proliferation of 3d printed guns. 

36 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

How can we outlaw bazookas then? Can they not be used in self defense?

The federal government doesn't outlaw bazookas, just like they don't outlaw machine guns. They just made the legally transferable ones extremely expensive by limiting the supply. A few states have out right banned bazookas. I don't know if those laws have been challenged or not.

Grenades and rocket launchers, also known as bazookas, are considered "destructive devices" by the National Firearms Act. They are also classified as firearms and are therefore legal with proper registration.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/01/1090178116/rocket-launchers-bazooka-grenade-california-middle-school#:~:text=Are these weapons legal%3F,therefore legal with proper registration.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

You’re really splitting hairs over school kids getting ventilated by assault rifles?  Fuck you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So you’re saying kids that get killed by the guns of gang members don’t count?  Even the white ones?

I've said nothing of the sort. I'm saying that new gun laws won't prevent gang members from killing each other... and that the number of young men or boys killed every year in gang violence dwarfs the number of young people killed in school shootings. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

I'm saying that new gun laws won't prevent gang members from killing each other.

Fewer guns readily available to the public will certainly reduce gang violence. No one thinks it will eliminate gun deaths but a reduction is better than just shrugging our shoulders and doing fuck all about it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1