Huntington Beach

JesusSweatDuck

Take a whale-watching trip out of Newport.

Take a day to do San Juan Capistrano.  

You can also do a day trip to Catalina from Newport. 

If you really want to see something spectacular, make the hour-plus drive up to the Getty.  

3 hours ago, otisdog said:

Get a bike....You can ride from the Newport jetty (the Wedge) all the way to  Long Beach harbor on the bike path.

Listen to this man.  I didn't realize the path goes all the way up into LB.  You can make a pitstop at Sea Legs in the Bolsa Chica area right off the bike path.  

Also, Golden Road Brewery in HB. 

All kinds of waterholes on the route....my fav is Blackie's in Newport Beach,  on the boardwalk by the pier. Bunch of old surfers day drinking. Numerous others in Seal Beach & Belmont Shores.

Edited by otisdog
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2022 at 2:12 PM, JesusSweatDuck said:

Will be in Huntington Beach for a couple weeks for a couple sand volleyball tournaments for my daughter.  We have a few days off between tournaments and will have a rental car.  Thoughts on things to go see?  She's 14 so no pics 

necro'ing this - going to be there late next month. anywhere in particular y'all enjoyed? any food recs?

Drive down to nearby Laguna Beach and check out Heisler Park - a multi-tiered park on the side of a cliff and which leads down to tidepools.  Also, drive down to the San Clemente Pier.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

Drive down to nearby Laguna Beach and check out Heisler Park - a multi-tiered park on the side of a cliff and which leads down to tidepools.  Also, drive down to the San Clemente Pier.

that looks awesome! going to try and do it! added to the list

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

So if you're staying by the airport in Orange County for some meetings and have time to burn, any ideas?  I'll probably just drive down to Newport Beach somewhere.  Maybe watch someone die at the Wedge.

Edited by texasdago

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 10:01 AM, NoName said:

necro'ing this - going to be there late next month. anywhere in particular y'all enjoyed? any food recs?

food recs:

• Sur Coffee - fantastic coffee shop that i was was local to me here in Texas. really good spot to sit and read in the morning. tried a few coffee places but always ended up coming back here. great cortado.
  • Normita's Surf City Tacos - awesome experience, cash only place that had easily the best fish tacos i had on the trip. skip the "plate" which comes with rice and beans, just order 2 tacos instead. CASH ONLY
  • Red O Taste of Mexico (Newport) - didn't choose this place but they had some damn good food across the board. higher end, but a really cool spot.
  • Zero Zero 39 Pizzeria - Roman style pizza, just off near main street. Awesome spot to get a slice to go or sit. their burrata pizza was awesome.
  • Bear Flag Fish Co - just across the PCH from the beach. pretty good fish taco but they sold a ton of poke bowls while i was there. go and get a beer, eat your taco and enjoy the view of the ocean. it's in Pacific City if that makes a difference, just past the resorts on PCH

other spots that made my list but i didn't get to:

• RIIP Pizza and Beer - brewery with awesome detroit style pizza
  • John's Philly Grille - known for cheesesteaks but also do hot and cold hoagies
  • Fiesta Grill - fish tacos
  • Sugar Shack - well known/popular breakfast spot, but line was too long

I'm in CA for a soccer tournament out in Norco but we went down to Hunnington Beach in between games.  Fun place to eat and drink.  Beach was packed last week because its hot AF in Southern CA right now.   We're staying an extra day and headed down to Newport which I enjoy as well and its super close to SNA.   That's all I got.  Oh we ate at G's boathouse which was kind of fun.  Oh and this house a block from PCH is $3mil

PXL_20240621_203117748.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

there is a house on the PCH right next to that Dairy Queen and TK Burgers that i can't even imagine what it's worth. saw a guy out watering one morning, and i would show it on streetview but they blocked it. it's in iffy shape but it's an incredible location

image.png.8b0ae06e32b864cd5220d1e7549b0064.png

image.thumb.png.80d6dc100fd867b6ceac96c095c49546.png

7 hours ago, NoName said:

there is a house on the PCH right next to that Dairy Queen and TK Burgers that i can't even imagine what it's worth. saw a guy out watering one morning, and i would show it on streetview but they blocked it. it's in iffy shape but it's an incredible location

image.png.8b0ae06e32b864cd5220d1e7549b0064.png

image.thumb.png.80d6dc100fd867b6ceac96c095c49546.png

Lived in Fountain Valley in the 70's-80's before my folks moved us to Dallas.  Know that area well.  My dad grew up surfing the cliffs just north of the Huntington Pier. 

CSB...my dad used to take me  and my two brothers and 3 cousins to the beach in our old chevy station wagon every Saturday for years.  He'd bust off a 6 miler and tell us boys to not go near the water until he got back. My old man was in great shape back then.  Appx 45 mins later he'd show back up.  All 5 of us boys would already be leashed up and waiting for him to finish his "dip" in the ocean before he plopped down, cracked open his Lowenbrau, turned on Don Williams casette tape and we'd tear off into the ocean.....that map is the exact spot  (about where the lifeguard hut tower icon)....  spent a good part of my youth at that beach, hitting up Jacks and gawking at all the boards we couldnt afford, all the surf swag was the shit to us....we would get the surf mags and look for the ads offering a free sticker if we mailed them a SASE, those were the days man.  Many years later I returned with my Dallas club soccer team for a tournament and my dad was the manager.  He and I  reveled in taking the team to all our spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1