"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

3 hours ago, NoName said:

I'm getting Helobius'd in so many threads right now. It's incredible that a guy can be so wrong so often about such a wide swath of things. Sports, food, entertainment...you name it.

You left out "style".

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 12:03 PM, someguy said:

The Office Thank You GIF

The whole point of the omelet scene with Sydney is the care she took with it, as expressed in the time and technique she was using when nobody was looking.  Sugar was pregnant and hungry and asked for an omelet.  Sydney was not serving a customer and was not being judged or evaluated on the omelet.  She could have just banged out a perfectly edible omelet and Sugar would have eaten it.  So why loving beat the eggs over a mesh strainer, perfectly execute a french omelet (I won't go over all the steps, but the show nails the details with how the french omelet is executed - no disrespect to the photo posted up thread, and make no mistake I would gladly devour it as it looks delicious, but that is not a french omelet technique with how browned the omelet is), put in the little touches with chives and crumpled chips, and make sure to even coat it one last time in butter?  Sydney did that 1) because she loves to cook for cooking's sake and 2) she loves to take care of people.

One of the big themes of this season - especially in the second half of the season - is about the motivation of why we work, and in particular making the case for the beauty of working from a motivation of love and service.

Marcus - goes to Copenhagen, learns a lot from the pastry chef.  The pastry chef tells a story of how he thought he was the best until he met someone better while working as a commis (strongly implied he is talking about Carmy when, in the Fishes episode, Richie walks in a hallway and sees a picture of the pastry chef and Carmy).  Pastry chef talks about how he had to learn that it isn't just about mastering technique, the best dishes he had ever eaten were inspired.  Marcus is tasked with coming up with three desserts and nails it, inspired by Copenhagen, Sydney, Carmen, and Michael.  Marcus creates out of love.

Sydney - see omelet example above.  She is weighed down by doubts, fears, responsibilities - but at the end of the day she still loves to cook - it comes from a pure place.  She might want the stars and she certainly wants to reach financial stability (not bad desires!), but underneath it all, she is motivated by love of cooking and love of serving people.

Richie - the most dramatic arc demonstrating the theme.  Richie is angry and defensive and doesn't know his place.  He is good with people but torpedoes whatever progress he makes due to his personality flaws.  Through his experience staging at a 3 Michelin star restaurant, he comes to see the beauty and dignity in serving others.  It transforms him and allows him to hone his strengths without self sabatoge.

Sugar - her involvement with the restaurant started as a place of conflicting feelings for her, with all the ghosts and family trauma associated with it.  At the beginning of the season, Sugar said at first she couldn't stand to be there but, once they started the renovation, she felt herself drawn there.  She starts out somewhat reluctantly part time, getting drawn more and more into it.  By the end she has discovered she is good at project management and loves/is invested in the success of the restaurant.  She navigates issues with the city, staff, Carmy, and Cicero with skill.  In the last episode her husband affirms the changes he sees in her, saying how happy he is and how much easier it is to live with her now that she's found something she loves, even if it has required more of her.

Claire - hers isn't really a journey.  She knew when she was young she was fascinated with understanding medicine and how to help people, as evidenced by her story as a child when a friend broke her arm.  Claire has a very realistic and clear eyed vision for the sacrifice involved with residency and pursuing her passion/vocation, but she loves it despite the sacrifice.  Claire understands that even though it is busy and draining, it is life giving to love what you do and help people doing it.

That leaves Carmy - he is the one character still figuring it out.  He is in process.  He has the training, the talent, and the accolades.  Does he love to cook, or is it just something he discovered he is really good at?  Did he press into cooking because he brother wouldn't let him be part of his restaurant, so Carmy set out to get so good his brother would have to let him in?  Was he able to thrive in the intense pressure cooker of working under pressure and abusive chefs because he raised by a narcissistic mother?  There is evidence that Carmy found refuge in food, discovered he was good at it, but never really loved it.  There is also evidence that Carmy does love food and loves people.  Carmy is constantly getting distracted - the fridge door handle being the obvious thing - but the entire season Carmy is dodging meeting with Sydney to focus on the restaurant.  But Carmy, when present, also shows himself capable and willing to love and nurture.  We see him gladly give up his knife to Tina (no small thing for a chef to do).  We see him listen and take the time/effort to give Sydney a special chef coat.  We see Carmy, with Claire's influence, start to confront his past and channel it into inspiration with the savory pistachio cannoli.

At the end of the last episode, when Carmy is locked in the fridge, he and Richie have an intense screaming match after Richie sees Claire leaving upset.  Richie accuses Carmy of being just like his mother, which (understandably) sets off Carmy.  Richie's point is that, like his mother, Carmy will not let himself be happy, will not enjoy who is around him and is constantly looking for the black cloud over every situation.  Viewed a certain way, Richie has a point, but it is also somewhat unfair as Carmy - unlike what is depicted of his mother - is not a narcissist and shows himself over and over capable and willing to team up with others, look out for them, serve, nuture, and elevate them.  However, there is no denying that Carmy is in a transitional place - there is a realistic scenario where he takes the Richie path, and a realistic scenario where he takes the path of his mother.

Some really quality analysis there. Bravo. 

Overall, I liked the season but the final 2 episodes were not as enjoyable other than the funeral dinner. I don't like that the only resolution we got on Claire was a dipshit attempt by the Faks to apologize on Carmy's behalf. Unlike the previous two seasons, there was no public victory for The Bear. Season 1, they find the money, Syd stays, they start to plan for the renovation. Season 2, Carmy's in the fridge but Richie finds his purpose and he and Syd make the family night a success. Season 3 had only victories for characters like Tina, Ibram, Marcus, and Sugar. The Bear gets a bad review, Jimmy is not going to fund them going forward, and Syd seems prepared to do the stupid thing and stay instead of going to an environment where Carmy's not f'ing everything up. I agree with the poster above who said Carmy is not a #1. He can't handle being #1. Yeah, he gets the validation for asshole chef that he so craved but he's also that guy now to everyone else. JLC better win the Emmy because her face acting alone in Ice Chips was fantastic. And yes, tone down the Faks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing I found odd about the omelet scene was crumbled chips on a fine French dish. I'm sure it's super tasty, just odd based on my perception of those types of restaurants being super fancy and pretentious. 

Pretty underwhelmed.  Quality is still there but just sign the fucking paper already.  Just got old.

Faks do crack me up as well but no character development so they just became a bit clownish without more.  They deserve a bit of back story.

Go away and have a baby off screen somewhere.  Women have been doing it for eons. Please do it yourself. 

Mom is fucking terrifying. 

Finished it off tonight.  I don't mind the development angle of the season so much.  Kinda necessary evil, if you will.  I do tend to pick nits more on the actual restaurant parts.

Never seen a chef break down a box in my life.  Dishwashers, busboys, line cooks, all day long, but never the person we all answered to.  And they don't go into the dumpster first, then get broken down - stacked first, then broken down, then into the dumpster.  I know they were using the action/location to isolate characters, but Carmy and Sid ain't in the dumpster.

Richie was at Ever for 4 days and he's the back of house MVP?  Retired jersey and getting kisses blown to him by Chef Terry?  wtf?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Richie was at Ever for 4 days and he's the back of house MVP?  Retired jersey and getting kisses blown to him by Chef Terry?  wtf?

This was the dumbest part of the season to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I still enjoy the hang, but I grew up in restaurants. Storer stated publicly he had a plan for a 3 season series. The Mouse/FX ordered another season. So we get an appetizer before the actual final season. 

I don’t think it’s fart smelling, but vamping. They took 10 good episodes and turned it into 20 episodes in a few months. Season 4 better go hard or they’ll miss the landing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Am 30 mins into “Ice Chips” and it had been an absolute fucking beating. 
Watching Sugar and JLC do “hee hee hee” over and fucking over has been awful. 
Why did the show runners/directors think anyone would want to watch this shit?

Holding out prayer last 9 mins finish strong but since baby hasn’t even made an appearance I somehow doubt it. 

Who is the next backstory? We going to get the chainsmoking sandwich window guy? A UPS delivery person? One of the waiters? Just beating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Who is the next backstory? We going to get the chainsmoking sandwich window guy? A UPS delivery person? One of the waiters? Just beating

I'd like to know more about the friends of Claire Bear that Theodore Fak has been plowing through and contaminating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Am 30 mins into “Ice Chips” and it had been an absolute fucking beating. 
Watching Sugar and JLC do “hee hee hee” over and fucking over has been awful. 
Why did the show runners/directors think anyone would want to watch this shit?

Holding out prayer last 9 mins finish strong but since baby hasn’t even made an appearance I somehow doubt it. 

Who is the next backstory? We going to get the chainsmoking sandwich window guy? A UPS delivery person? One of the waiters? Just beating. 

you are so fucking right.   

This season was a big mixed bag. Easily the worst of the 3. Hopefully the 4th season, which might be the last, redeems itself. Too much filler. Didn't need an entire episode of Tina's backstory.

And Sydney is a terrible character. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I liked the season. I don't particularly care how fast a story moves, this season was obviously about character development and back stories. It does feel self-indulgent at times, especially the extended dialogues that go on forever and border on over the top art house films. And yeah, Richie being some beloved celebrity returning at Ever after spending a week there to train felt ridiculous. The fact that he's supposedly that good at it after a week of training also kind of undermines the difficulty of the job in my opinion. Finally, in Ice Chips

Spoiler

I swore it was going to end by finding out that DD never called Pete and all of the reconnecting would fall apart in a Blaze of chaos. Sort of glad it didn't happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2024 at 12:17 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

They took 10 good episodes and turned it into 20 episodes in a few months. Season 4 better go hard or they’ll miss the landing. 

They didn't actually film both seasons back to back. Season 4 has not been written yet.

Finished this season last night. Some observations. Also, I'm not going to spoiler this shit because you shouldn't be reading this thread if you haven't already finished the season:

S3 was weaker than the previous two seasons, but I still think this is one of the best shows on TV right now. 

Some of my feelings are somewhat contradictory. I don't necessarily mind that they take a lot of time to develop the characters, and I thought Tina's backstory episode was one of the best ones of the season. Unlike many others, I really liked Ice Chips.

HOWEVER, I am a little frustrated that we're seemingly in pretty much the same spot we're in at the start of the season. I have no idea how much time has elapsed since "friends and family" at the close of S2. Two weeks? Two months? Six months? Obviously long enough for some of the local online publications to perform reviews that we didn't get to "read" but they only flashed to in the final two episodes to let us know that opinions are mixed and that the food can be brilliant at times and sloppy and unfocused at other times.

We spent 40% of the season on backstories/character development - the premier (which was beautifully shot and I really enjoyed, but as Sepinwall pointed out, we already know Carmy's backstory), Ice Chips, Tina's story, and Funeral.

There's a lot of stuff in this show that just doesn't make sense. How is Syd being recruited to be (what I assume will be) CDC or sous at a place that will be helmed by the CDC at a place like Ever? What's her previous experience? Running a catering business out of her apartment? She doesn't have the bona fides to be recruited to that position. I like Syd's character and think the actress does a great job, but they haven't really fleshed out her story or given her character the opportunity to demonstrate the regard we're led to believe her contemporaries hold of her. The show runners are really doing her character a disservice. I expect her to get a similar episode that they gave to Marcus in Season 2 and Tina in Season 3, and that she'll be more assertive in S4.

Ritchie was at Ever for 4 days, and he made such an amazing impression on everyone that he was offered to run table service for the final meal, much less even be INVITED to the funeral dinner and get shout-outs by everyone on the staff like he's MVP? I could suspend disbelief during the initial episode because it advanced the plot. But this was fucking ridiculous. 

Claire adds nothing to the show. They've unnecessarily shoehorned a love story to further push the narrative that Carmy is a closed-off, emotionally-damaged genius. We don't need that. You've established that through things we already know about him - Mikey's suicide, the 7 fishes episode, the Joel McHale story, etc. Claire's character is a waste of time on a show that already wastes a lot of time.

Unpopular opinion - there was too much Faks in this season. They took a hilarious bit and just whacked the audience over the head with their comedic relief over and over this season. I actually liked when it was just Matty Matheson as the one Fak (him stalling with the electrician while talking about his favorite Replacements records was a highlight of the series for me, so far). I guess they have to find a way to justify this series being nominated in the "Comedy" category at the Emmys. John Cena as the third Fak didn't work either. And I fucking love John Cena (who doesn't? also, speaking of Cena, when are we gonna get another season of Peacemaker?)

Smoking in the restaurant right before the Tribune photographer shows up? I get that they're trying to demonstrate this isn't the tightest-run ship, but why send Ritchie to the "Ever School of Perfection" to have him overlook how monumentally stupid that was. That really annoyed me.

I'm not going to dwell too much on the criticisms above if Season 4 will be released before the end of the year, as I understand they filmed S3 an S4 back-to-back. This might be like a mid-season all-star break with an opportunity to really progress the plot later this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Finished this season last night. Some observations. Also, I'm not going to spoiler this shit because you shouldn't be reading this thread if you haven't already finished the season:

S3 was weaker than the previous two seasons, but I still think this is one of the best shows on TV right now. 

Some of my feelings are somewhat contradictory. I don't necessarily mind that they take a lot of time to develop the characters, and I thought Tina's backstory episode was one of the best ones of the season. Unlike many others, I really liked Ice Chips.

HOWEVER, I am a little frustrated that we're seemingly in pretty much the same spot we're in at the start of the season. I have no idea how much time has elapsed since "friends and family" at the close of S2. Two weeks? Two months? Six months? Obviously long enough for some of the local online publications to perform reviews that we didn't get to "read" but they only flashed to in the final two episodes to let us know that opinions are mixed and that the food can be brilliant at times and sloppy and unfocused at other times.

We spent 40% of the season on backstories/character development - the premier (which was beautifully shot and I really enjoyed, but as Sepinwall pointed out, we already know Carmy's backstory), Ice Chips, Tina's story, and Funeral.

There's a lot of stuff in this show that just doesn't make sense. How is Syd being recruited to be (what I assume will be) CDC or sous at a place that will be helmed by the CDC at a place like Ever? What's her previous experience? Running a catering business out of her apartment? She doesn't have the bona fides to be recruited to that position. I like Syd's character and think the actress does a great job, but they haven't really fleshed out her story or given her character the opportunity to demonstrate the regard we're led to believe her contemporaries hold of her. The show runners are really doing her character a disservice. I expect her to get a similar episode that they gave to Marcus in Season 2 and Tina in Season 3, and that she'll be more assertive in S4.

Ritchie was at Ever for 4 days, and he made such an amazing impression on everyone that he was offered to run table service for the final meal, much less even be INVITED to the funeral dinner and get shout-outs by everyone on the staff like he's MVP? I could suspend disbelief during the initial episode because it advanced the plot. But this was fucking ridiculous. 

Claire adds nothing to the show. They've unnecessarily shoehorned a love story to further push the narrative that Carmy is a closed-off, emotionally-damaged genius. We don't need that. You've established that through things we already know about him - Mikey's suicide, the 7 fishes episode, the Joel McHale story, etc. Claire's character is a waste of time on a show that already wastes a lot of time.

Unpopular opinion - there was too much Faks in this season. They took a hilarious bit and just whacked the audience over the head with their comedic relief over and over this season. I actually liked when it was just Matty Matheson as the one Fak (him stalling with the electrician while talking about his favorite Replacements records was a highlight of the series for me, so far). I guess they have to find a way to justify this series being nominated in the "Comedy" category at the Emmys. John Cena as the third Fak didn't work either. And I fucking love John Cena (who doesn't? also, speaking of Cena, when are we gonna get another season of Peacemaker?)

Smoking in the restaurant right before the Tribune photographer shows up? I get that they're trying to demonstrate this isn't the tightest-run ship, but why send Ritchie to the "Ever School of Perfection" to have him overlook how monumentally stupid that was. That really annoyed me.

I'm not going to dwell too much on the criticisms above if Season 4 will be released before the end of the year, as I understand they filmed S3 an S4 back-to-back. This might be like a mid-season all-star break with an opportunity to really progress the plot later this year. 

Syd studied at the Culinary Institute of America and I thought her catering business was successful foodwise just not businesswise (which might go to your point since CDC is as much a business role as a chef role as I understand it). She obviously has lots of friends in the high end culinary universe. Like any industry, "its more about who you know than what you know" surely plays a role here, but it seems to me that attending CIA is like going to Harvard, that alone stands out on a resume, and she's either worked with some of these other high end chefs, or built a reputation foodwise with her catering business.

I think Richie and Tina's arcs are far more unrealistic. Tina was a bookkeeper (or whatever that job was) until her mid 40's, then took a job at The Beef (not unrealistic, it can't be that hard), and within a few years is cooking for a culinary genius looking to obtain a Michelin Star? Same with Richie and Fak, there is far more that goes into that type of perfectionist service than a few months (or a week) of formal training and being likeable (i.e. Fak, who started the series as a handyman). It would have been far more realistic for Carmy to keep The Beef running with its original staff (i.e., more than a side business stand) and to open his restaurant by hiring a fully trained staff of classically trained chefs if he really wanted a Michelin Star. 

In general, I can suspend belief for much of it, but I don't think Syd is that big off a stretch, at least not compared to the others in that kitchen. 

Matty Mattison is a fraud as a chef, actor, or funny guy. I loathe him. I would not eat his food as he appears to have skipped the hygiene lessons from the health department. He should die as a character here. And go back to irrelevance in Canada. An unpopular opinion but he is unwatchable.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Tina was a bookkeeper (or whatever that job was) until her mid 40's, then took a job at The Beef (not unrealistic, it can't be that hard), and within a few years is cooking for a culinary genius looking to obtain a Michelin Star?

Eh, they made a point of showing several times how Syd is teaching her.  And she's apparently been there several years at least to get the basics down.

Posted (edited)

This came up this morning, thought it was interesting. I had pieced together that the review was mixed, and the drama will be if its bad enough for Cicero to pull to plug or if its positive enough for him to keep it going (obviously going to be the latter). I hadn't pieced together that it might be high praise for Carmy and critical of his surrounding cast. That would fit well within the plot. Could it make the Ever guy rethink his offer to Syd if its interpreted as critical of her as Carmy's No. 2? It would definitely put Richie on the hot seat. My guess is that Season 4 accelerates the plotline significantly, for those who are critical of the pace of Season 3.

https://www.npr.org/2024/06/28/nx-s1-5020609/the-bear-season-3-ending-finale-restaurant-review?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3u5q3f0Bk3RGWIy7K_0U7GuEZ7TUGE8VyShVBdZUQuNg8pKZQp2otnBJo_aem_SbogtBZgmVQu1DFZg4L9m

What does 'The Bear' restaurant review say? We take our best guess

Haven’t watched the season finale of The Bear yet? Then you probably don’t want to read this. Don’t blame us for spoilers. 

So what does that review say?

At the end of the third season of The Bear, Carmy (Jeremy Allen White) looks at his phone late one night and sees a review of his new restaurant, The Bear, in the Chicago Tribune. All we see are flashes of words and phrases, some seemingly good and some seemingly bad, and then Carmy says, "mother------," and that's the season.

And look: The idea is to leave you uncertain about what the review says, and to be clear, the review could say a lot of things. Trying to decode the words we can see and come up with an idea of whether this is a good or a bad review is rank speculation. Rank, I say! So let's speculate.

I'm really not excited to reveal how long I spent doing this, but what I am about to show you is the best rendering I can manage of the words (and parts of words) that they show in this little sequence. I present them in the form of a poem, since I can't offer you screenshots. (These groups of words, of course, are undoubtedly not in this order in the actual review. And yes, I think this is a show that's probably playing fair; I think these probably are all consistent with the actual review that we will eventually learn much more about.)

of flavors both d
the confusing mis
any apprehension

an almost sloppy fas
f innovative d
nu was a testa
complex array
, as each dish arrived, there
were excellent, sho
rt, leaving me fee

focus on pushing
true culinary gem
my experience at

tto, offering a
palpable dissonance b
ng the chef’s brilliant cr
disappointed and craving
Feeling disapp

and downs, t
inconsistent
as resting on

undeniable inco
of delicious pe
tchen couldn’t

e. However,
was simple an
s the potential

Berzatto p

s not subtract f

felt overdone

incredible
Carmen Berzatto

re tired a

t stale a
talent

Clear as day, right?

For my money, the most interesting phrase comes from the screen that highlights the word "delicious." Below that, you can see "tchen couldn't." My guess is that the full review uses the words "kitchen couldn't." And I'm going to further guess that "undeniable inco" is part of something like "undeniable inconsistency" or "undeniable incompleteness" — in other words, something negative. And in the middle, the word "delicious."

So: what if the review is basically saying that there is an inconsistency in the operation because the kitchen isn't doing a solid enough job?

That would also fit with this bit right here:

tto, offering a
palpable dissonance b
ng the chef’s brilliant cr
disappointed and craving
Feeling disapp

Now, the "tto" is probably the end of Carmy's name (although I suppose a word like "risotto" is possible). But right in the middle, you have "the chef's brilliant cr," which might be "the chef's brilliant creations" or "the chef's brilliant creativity" or something like that. And before that, you have "dissonance." And after it, "disappointed." Again, what if this is saying Carmy is a brilliant genius, but something is amiss in the staffing and the execution?

Could this also be what "an almost sloppy fas" is about? What if that says the dining room — Richie's beloved dining room — operates in an almost sloppy fashion? It also occurred to me that it could be a reference to The Beef, that The Beef was "almost sloppy fast food" or something. Or perhaps Neil Fak is a little too sloppy for this reviewer's refined tastes.

Here's another interesting part:

f innovative d
nu was a testa
complex array

That middle line should be "menu was a testament," right? The menu is a testament to something? Probably Carmy's brilliance? The changing menu he's been obsessed with? And that would fit with "f innovative d," which could be, say, "of innovative dishes."

A prediction

Go back and read it all, like a poem, all together, and let it wash over you. Here's what I think the review might say: Carmy is an amazing chef, full of potential, creative and amazing. But the rest of the team is not living up to his great ideas. In other words, I think the review says everybody else at The Bear needs to get on Carmy's level.

If it says that, then that would explain why, after reading a review that (probably) calls him "brilliant," he swears angrily. It would also complicate his obsession with his own standards to see the system he insisted on (the changing menu especially) wind up making him look good, but interfering so much with how the place runs that other people look bad.

I want to stress that if this is all completely and totally wrong, it will be no surprise. The whole thing could be a misdirect, every word could be misleading — "the chef" might not be Carmy, "nu" could be "Keanu" instead of "menu," you get the idea.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

big GIF

This was me most of the season trying to piece together the images of magazines before the final review, which appeared to be speculation of a truly great or truly terrible review. I found those parts kind of annoying to be honest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

- Episode 10’s chef round table was full on chef fart smelling. Any Bourdain interview with other chefs is infinitely more interesting. Extremely scripted chef word salad. AI could have written those scenes.

- Of course Syd and Carmy’s depressions swoop in to fuck up a fun night. 

- What are they going to do in Season 4 if The Bear is an overnight sensation? But 1 mixed review isn’t going to sink a new restaurant. $850k in debt will though. 

- Richie should ask out the lady at Ever.

- The kid from We’re the Millers is English. Surprising. 

- The only time Carmy seems happy is in The French Laundry and Claire scenes. Something to think about before Season 4. Getting back with Claire isn’t his only possible ending. 

- The Joel McHale confrontation is what we should all expect from a showdown with a former boss. It’s never going to go how we imagine it wil.

- Good, not great season. Certainly some scenes that didn’t work, but I don’t think they wasted an episode. We got 10 more episodes in this world, and I’m grateful.

- Jesus, I would never do it to make a living, but I miss the camaraderie of a kitchen. The corporate world is a bit different. 3 days in the office, and most days I’d rather IM my neighbor than go talk to him. 

Episode one was truly excellent TV

The rest of the season was a "set-up episode" but for an entire season season. Mostly good, happy I watched it, but it's unsatisfying with so many threads not approaching closure in a way you don't typically see in a season of TV. Hopefully the next season comes around soon

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t get the Ice Chips hate. Jamie Lee Curtis gives another elite performance, and a daughter has an honest conversation with her bipolar mother. This is a very, very hard conversation to have. The Bear understands the human condition.

I liked it but thought some of the dialogue just dragged on too long, and because of how they set her character up last season, I was super tense waiting for it to blow up. I can see why some people didn't like it though.

- Episode 10’s chef round table was full on chef fart smelling. Any Bourdain interview with other chefs is infinitely more interesting. Extremely scripted chef word salad. AI could have written those scenes.
- Of course Syd and Carmy’s depressions swoop in to fuck up a fun night. 

- What are they going to do in Season 4 if The Bear is an overnight sensation? But 1 mixed review isn’t going to sink a new restaurant. $850k in debt will though. 
- Richie should ask out the lady at Ever.
- The kid from We’re the Millers is English. Surprising. 

- The only time Carmy seems happy is in The French Laundry and Claire scenes. Something to think about before Season 4. Getting back with Claire isn’t his only possible ending. 

- The Joel McHale confrontation is what we should all expect from a showdown with a former boss. It’s never going to go how we imagine it wil.

- Good, not great season. Certainly some scenes that didn’t work, but I don’t think they wasted an episode. We got 10 more episodes in this world, and I’m grateful.
- Jesus, I would never do it to make a living, but I miss the camaraderie of a kitchen. The corporate world is a bit different. 3 days in the office, and most days I’d rather IM my neighbor than go talk to him. 

In college (90s), I paid my dues in the kitchen for a year before being a bartender for the remainder of school (those were amazing years) - I got my ass kicked every shift in that POS kitchen but we had a blast and I made the best friends of my life. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Requirement in my family for the kids to work in a restaurant at some point before they get out of school - no better preparation for life imo.
  • Hook 'Em 3

The 2 things Season 3 is getting hammered on are Ice Chips and the John Cena cameo.I don’t get it. JLC kills in Ice Chips and Cena is in a 5 minute scene within a running gag of Fak relatives making cameos. The haunts bit was pretty funny. 

The Faks apologizing to Claire just didn’t work and was more awkward than funny. I agree, maybe tone down the Faks. They work in one episode, Fishes, but not throughout an entire season. 

As I stated above, the chef roundtable was Clooney Oscar speech level fart smelling. Worst scene in the show. There’s a genuine, organic way to shoot that scene. 

S3 E8…..literally FF’d through the entire black hole of pure shit. What in the ever living shit was the purpose of that?

To reiterate how fucked up Donna is and her impact on the two principals in The Bear and how she’s trying to be better but it’s hard.

Woven throughout the entire show and especially the last few episodes after Ice Chips is the concept of the people at a restaurant being family, nurturing their customers, each other…all that stuff. Keller flashback, Chef Terry talking about nobody remembering the food but more the people. They also keep hitting on the theme of how a dysfunctional kitchen is the worst place to be.

The Berzatto family is dysfunctional lead by Donna

The Bear is currently dysfunctional being lead by her two remaining offspring.

Both will have to heal for this thing to progress.
  • Hook 'Em 1