"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

I get people bitching about The Faks. Personally, I think Cena was a cameo too far. But the rest of it I like. Got to keep some OG neighborhood weirdo family involved. I don't think there's too much fart sniffing, just filling backstory and setting up next season.

Finished Season 3 and enjoyed it. Not on the same level as the first two, and like others have commented, it did very little to advance any storyline. And there were a lot of long scenes throughout with little more than flashbacks or food prep set to music that seemed like filler.  But, it’s still good TV and I’m optimistic that Season 4 will be better.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did “The Bear” food tour with my kid on Friday - would recommend.

- Mr. Beef
- Urban Belly
- Carmelized Chicken Dumplings (different spot I believe)
- Pizza Lobo
- Donuts from Roeser’s Bakery
- Sundaes from Margie’s Candies (holy shit)
- A beer at Green Door Tavern to end

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Did a slower burn on Season 3. Just finished it tonight.

Downer of a season, but seasons 1 & 2 were so good, I have faith they will right the ship for season 4.

And frankly I did like the season. Was it great? not the standards of Seasons 1 & 2, but it was good. Seasons 1 & 2 just set the bar so high, sometimes it makes followups tricky.

I fell that this season didn't have a singular focus to get to. I mean Season 1 was just the restaurant surviving. Season 2 was them opening the Bear. Season 3 was ... ?

I did like the wrap up in the Finale and yeah the cliffhanger was pretty straight forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did “The Bear” food tour with my kid on Friday - would recommend.

- Mr. Beef
- Urban Belly
- Carmelized Chicken Dumplings (different spot I believe)
- Pizza Lobo
- Donuts from Roeser’s Bakery
- Sundaes from Margie’s Candies (holy shit)
- A beer at Green Door Tavern to end

Didn’t want to drop the coin on Ever?
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:21 PM, Deej said:

They need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to keep me in on season 4. What a drop off this season was. 

We are six deep and feel the same way. I never watched the Arrested Development “bonus” season on Netflix but I heard it was odd since none of the cast could schedule time together so the episodes focused on the individual characters or just a couple at a time because the schedules aligned. This kind of feels a little like that with random “side quest” episodes like Tina’s in Ep6. We’re sitting on the cliff regarding the Tribune review and we get a full flashback episode showing how Tina wound up at The Beef. The episode was mostly pointless until her meeting with Mikey at the end, which I enjoyed very much.

Some of y’all said this seems like Storer had a 3-season idea and the network tasked him with stretching it over four instead. There is also an air of pretentiousness that I didn’t really season in either of the first two seasons. I’m still digging it a lot.

Random thoughts. Is it odd that Cicero is my favorite character? I also think they’re using Matty a little too much. He’s better in smaller doses.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Random thoughts. Is it odd that Cicero is my favorite character? I also think they’re using Matty a little too much. He’s better in smaller doses.

I wouldn't say "favorite," but Cicero was one of the best parts of Season 3.  I've always been a big Oliver Platt fan, and he's fucking great as this character.

And agree with the Faks.  They were great in limited roles in Seasons 1 and 2, but got overplayed in Season 3.   

And I actually like Pete.  His airtime is limited, but he's kind of the loveable dork, and seems like one of the few emotionally stable and morally solid characters in the series.  When Sydney asked him how he felt after his baby was born, and all he could say was "grateful," I thought he was a bit of a man after my own heart.

• Hook 'Em 3

I plowed through all 3 season this past week.  Wife was out of town with the kids, so I did a lot of binging.  Share pretty much everyone else's sentiments.  1-2 were great 3 not as much.  Not sure how they get away with cleaning up in the comedy class at the Emmys.  This isn't a comedy.  Have no idea what kind of arc Carmen is on.  Seems like he only really wanted to cook with his brother, and he can't find any enjoyment in cooking otherwise.

On 7/5/2024 at 11:20 PM, henrygandorf said:

yeah, 300 richies would've come and gone under her.

I get the impression Richie wants to come under her.

The Faks were annoying as shit.  Small doses would have been fine.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I wouldn't say "favorite," but Cicero was one of the best parts of Season 3.  I've always been a big Oliver Platt fan, and he's fucking great as this character.

And agree with the Faks.  They were great in limited roles in Seasons 1 and 2, but got overplayed in Season 3.   

And I actually like Pete.  His airtime is limited, but he's kind of the loveable dork, and seems like one of the few emotionally stable and morally solid characters in the series.  When Sydney asked him how he felt after his baby was born, and all he could say was "grateful," I thought he was a bit of a man after my own heart.

Pete is merely reprising his role as the Progressive guy who became his dad.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2024 at 1:40 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I plowed through all 3 season this past week.  Wife was out of town with the kids, so I did a lot of binging.  Share pretty much everyone else's sentiments.  1-2 were great 3 not as much.  Not sure how they get away with cleaning up in the comedy class at the Emmys.  This isn't a comedy.  Have no idea what kind of arc Carmen is on.  Seems like he only really wanted to cook with his brother, and he can't find any enjoyment in cooking otherwise.

We *finally* went back and finished the last two episodes of S3 this weekend. I enjoyed the finale, I guess, though not much really happened at all plot-wise this season. The Faks going to see Claire at the hospital was silly. It felt like the "Ice Chips" episode was inserted to give Jamie Lee Curtis 45 mins to try and recreate the "Fishes" performance from S2. Wild that barely a mention of Sugar having the baby in the final two episodes. While "Forks" was a beautiful transition for Richie, I thought they WAY overplayed that in this season's finale. He was there four days and his "number" is retired? The way the three long-time veterans revere him for those days is a little weird.

Oh well, I'm in for S4 to see how they land this plane. S3 was a little turbulent but not for the right reasons IMO.

BTW, the Emmys needs to do something to their eligibility rules because it's a joke that this is in -- and cleans up -- the comedy awards.

Season 3 recap:

Montage; 90's alt rock; faks; montage; the restaurant gets reviewed; faks; montage; montage; 90's alt rock; Carmy doesn't talk to Claire; faks; montage; 90's alt rock; to be continued.

Edited by Masshole Horn
faks duh
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:40 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Not sure how they get away with cleaning up in the comedy class at the Emmys.  This isn't a comedy. 

Well, award shows are stupid. Top Gear won a best "non-scripted TV show" at the International Emmys and people have ever since used that to argue that the shows preposterous stunts arent contrived