"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I think several people on this thread up above your comment, have expressed that they really liked S3E1, so you're not alone.

Personally, I didn't love it.  I think it came off as overly self-indulgent from the creative team, and it was so long that it also came off as insulting to the audience.  After ten minutes, we got it.  Everybody got it.  Even the cows got it.

Overall I don't hate the idea and the execution was beautiful, but it could have lasted about 1/3 as long and been more impactful.  

Agree with every word, that's exactly how I felt about it.

Anyway like others I'm still in on the show, but they're not making it easy for me.

Billy Crystal Cowboy GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just finished.

I agree this did nothing to advance the story.  It was still good but just not up to the prior seasons.

It was like the writers couldn't come up with anything but found the best cinematographer they could and cleared out.  He or she is brilliant. 

I know I'm in the minority but Sydney does nothing for me.  Shes the weak link in the show imo. I know I know.

Outside of her every actor was nails.  You think, man the main characters are great then boom here come 2 minutes of Oliver Platt doing what he does.  Stealing every scene he's ever been in for the last 30 years.

Finale, fuck I love Olivia Coleman. She brings grace, to everything.

The music was once again phenomenal.  Ending with the hometown band Smashing Pumpkins scratched me right where I itched. 

Let's finish strong .  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think I would agree here. Though the Fak schtick is getting old and overplayed. I did like Cena just for the ridiculousness. 

Yep I enjoy the Faks but a little goes a long way.

Also my Hot Take,  Carmy isn't a number 1.  He's a 2. He doesn't have the right mentality. If he's your 1, you've got problems but as a 2 he's probably perfect.

He's  Kyrie Irving.

31 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Just finished.

I agree this did nothing to advance the story.  It was still good but just not up to the prior seasons.

It was like the writers couldn't come up with anything but found the best cinematographer they could and cleared out.  He or she is brilliant. 

I know I'm in the minority but Sydney does nothing for me.  Shes the weak link in the show imo. I know I know.

Outside of her every actor was nails.  You think, man the main characters are great then boom here come 2 minutes of Oliver Platt doing what he does.  Stealing every scene he's ever been in for the last 30 years.

Finale, fuck I love Olivia Coleman. She brings grace, to everything.

The music was once again phenomenal.  Ending with the hometown band Smashing Pumpkins scratched me right where I itched. 

Let's finish strong .  

i dislike her. i just assumed everybody did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Also my Hot Take,  Carmy isn't a number 1.  He's a 2. He doesn't have the right mentality. If he's your 1, you've got problems but as a 2 he's probably perfect.

He's  Kyrie Irving.

I think that’s what they were alluding to in the last (maybe penultimate?) episode when showing how he acts in the kitchen vs his mentors. 

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Jeremy Allen White is the weak link in this show. 

You are a silly man. 

57 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

He's  Kyrie Irving.

Interesting take, could be where the show goes....Carmy finding peace as a number 2 to Sydney's number 1.  

Three episodes in and enjoying it, especially episode one. Only skimmed this thread to avoid spoilers, will check back in when I finish the season, but agree with some of what I saw about the fighting. It kind of gets old after a while. Also, Carmy is the trained guy, portrayed as a sort of genius in this world. I get wanting a more collaborative environment than in his past, but at some point shouldn't the other's see that and either get on board with his perfectionism or go to a different kitchen? I'm also not quite getting the hate for Sydney, including in prior seasons. I actually dislike Richie a whole lot more. His redeeming moments don't overcome the rest of his personality. I feel like I've known someone like that in my past and when he gets riled up it makes me cringe a little, really obnoxious. The character that is, the actor is terrific.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, Mittens said:

Watched this last year, and have popped into this thread every now and then to see what others are catching.  I worked in restaurants from 14-28, ranging from sub shops (not Subway - a solo/family type operation), to hospital kitchens, to Tex-Mex, to fine-ish dining w/ actual head chef/sous chef/baker etc.  My biggest issue w/ the show is there's no need for a chef structure at a hot beef spot and zero reason for Carmen to be making the extra recipes.  No reason for the stress going on - the place has like 3 things on the menu and seating for like 10? 15?  It should be easy as fuck to run it.  Chicken piccata?  Short ribs and risotto?  Chilean sea bass?  WTF?

Just wanted to come back to this and point out how ridiculous it is that a tiny hot beef take out spot is now a fine dining restaurant using the same space, same cooks, etc.  Suspension of disbelief and whatnot, but it's no less ridiculous than Godzilla, Star Wars, or War of the Worlds.  Complete fantasyland.

18 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Just wanted to come back to this and point out how ridiculous it is that a tiny hot beef take out spot is now a fine dining restaurant using the same space, same cooks, etc.  Suspension of disbelief and whatnot, but it's no less ridiculous than Godzilla, Star Wars, or War of the Worlds.  Complete fantasyland.

i think it's only open at lunch so they have $$$ coming in? but yeah. it's kind of comical.

Edited by NoName

Agree with the posters complaining about the lack of forward progress of the storyline. Chris Storer, creator and writer, previously said that he had the story for 3 seasons. It looks like they , for the most part, have tried to stretch that out to four. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Agree with the posters complaining about the lack of forward progress of the storyline. Chris Storer, creator and writer, previously said that he had the story for 3 seasons. It looks like they , for the most part, have tried to stretch that out to four. 

evidently they have already green lit the 4th season.

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Interesting take, could be where the show goes....Carmy finding peace as a number 2 to Sydney's number 1.  

one of my bigger issues with sydney is that they (the show) act like she's earned her way into her position (carmy's equal/sidekick/partner + partner in this new restaurant + getting offers to run her own kitchen) and maybe she's super-talented, but i have not seen that on the screen.

nothing she has done in the kitchen has shown me she can operate at that level.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Lazy writing....they've set her up in opposition to Carmy, not because the plot demands it but to manufacture drama. 

14 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Lazy writing....

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

fighting. It kind of gets old after a while.

Lazy writing....

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Lazy writing...you only need one scene in episode two where she's brain storming her own entrees intercut with Carmy doing the same in The Bear's kitchen and it becomes about the frustration they both have with executing a Michelin starred menu AND it cures your problem. 

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

Lazy writing....they've set her up in opposition to Carmy, not because the plot demands it but to manufacture drama. 

Lazy writing....

Lazy writing....

Lazy writing...you only need one scene in episode two where she's brain storming her own entrees intercut with Carmy doing the same in The Bear's kitchen and it becomes about the frustration they both have with executing a Michelin starred menu AND it cures your problem. 

Lazy posting 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Lazy writing....

Lazy writing....

After several episodes, it’ feels like the scenes are from Good Will Hunting.

31 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Well oops on my part, I was referring to lazy writing on the part of The Bear writing staff,  not you or @henrygandorf.  Although perhaps you thought my criticism lazy regardless, in which case touché!

i think he was just having a little fun with you, which i appreciated.

13 hours ago, NoName said:

i will be absolutely floored if that's the end game/end result. beyond floored.

Oh it would it would be an interesting turn for sure, but not sure if it would really all be that shocking.  In his family he was always a bit of a second fiddle to Mikey, he's tried to break out in his professional life but he might figure out he is better being the genius behind the scenes. I don't really think it goes that way but it wouldn't surprise me.  Plus ignore the details I did get the major arc right....the ball was on Sam's foot at the end of the game 😎

4DDC8D70-7E54-4F4C-9DE9-361991809F89.thumb.jpeg.3b959990dd3fd6f875ad9062a65d79d2.jpeg

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

one of my bigger issues with sydney is that they (the show) act like she's earned her way into her position (carmy's equal/sidekick/partner + partner in this new restaurant + getting offers to run her own kitchen) and maybe she's super-talented, but i have not seen that on the screen.

I'm not a real big Sydney fan, but she's got the respect of Carmy who is a food genius so I kind of take that as implied sign she is as well.  Also she made the dish in the first season that got special mention in The Beef review.  Not to mention we saw her cook for Marcus and he was pretty blown away.  They haven't spent a lot of time expounding on it but I've never had a problem taking her as very very good when it comes to food.

You don't buy all that?  Do yourself a favor and make yourself the omelet she whipped up on the fly for Sugar exactly how she made it.  Yea that shit is fucking good good good.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

13 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This was a good season but literally nothing advanced the story. And EP 8 was a waste of 45 mins. 

I'm actually in the minority who enjoyed this season and think it will sit well when the series is wrapped up.  But you didn't like Ice Chips?  I thought it and the Tina episodes were the best of the season.  JLC is fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

I still remember getting flamed for talking about how terrible that omelette looked. It had no ham, mushrooms, sausage, anything in it. Don’t even think it had cheese. Shittiest omelette I’d ever seen. 

This has to be a bit at this point.  It did have cheese, not that it needed it.  French omelettes are some of the best things.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexPx said:

Enjoyed a lot of it, but someone on the production team is way too enamored with extreme close-ups.

yeah, during the funeral scene, we were like, "before you go on the bear, you best get your complexion issues in order."  they will get right up in your business.

i enjoyed ice chips but will never watch it again.  that is the only episode in 3 seasons i can say that about.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

This has to be a bit at this point.  It did have cheese, not that it needed it.  French omelettes are some of the best things.

Yes I remember people telling me that’s the “real” way to make an omelette. You’d still be insane to choose that over a Grand Slamwich from Denny’s. There’s no substance in the omelette she made.

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yes I remember people telling me that’s the “real” way to make an omelette. You’d still be insane to choose that over a Grand Slamwich from Denny’s. There’s no substance in the omelette she made.

Disagree with "no substance" and disagree with the notion of its being the "real" way to make an omelette.  It's just a very different kind of omelette from the American-style omelette you're describing.  Both are good for different reasons.  The French omelette can be a challenge to get just right, and that skill often is thought of as the mark of a good chef (at least on a basic level), which was part of what that scene conveys.  I've never made one with potato chips on it, but it seems like it would be ridiculously delicious.

Edited by dcbc

17 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

You don't buy all that?  Do yourself a favor and make yourself the omelet she whipped up on the fly for Sugar exactly how she made it.  Yea that shit is fucking good good good.  

so there's a dish i can make for myself at home that proves how talented sydney is?  i don't think you're making the point you think you're making.

33 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so there's a dish i can make for myself at home that proves how talented sydney is?  i don't think you're making the point you think you're making.

Does the fact people can watch his videos follow his steps to a T and make an awesome brisket at home devalue Aaron Franklin?  Were you to get asked to throw together an omelet would you think "french style, Boursin cheese, top it with some chives and.....potato chips"  Besides, you won't make it that well...most people will fuck up a french omelet every time.  It will still be delicious.  

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i enjoyed ice chips but will never watch it again.  that is the only episode in 3 seasons i can say that about.

Obviously it's their story to tell as they will, but I really don't feel the need to experience cinematic labor yet again. 

Since you've been revisiting the Mad Men thread but I've been trying to compare to Don to Carmy as characters and asking why The Bear feels inert when Mad Men did not.  Or perhaps I'm just not remember it well (I feel like everyone was struggling through the Megan episodes, although I personally liked them). 

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Does the fact people can watch his videos follow his steps to a T and make an awesome brisket at home devalue Aaron Franklin?  Were you to get asked to throw together an omelet would you think "french style, Boursin cheese, top it with some chives and.....potato chips"  Besides, you won't make it that well...most people will fuck up a french omelet every time.  It will still be delicious.  

Off-topic but best omelet in film/tv history belongs to Big Night (although the interwebs is correcting me that it was a frittata). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

i feel like the show overvalues sydney's skills and any professional chef should be able to cook regular, everyday things and have them hit the spot. yes, it looked amazing, and no, i could not make it as well at home i'm sure.

i just think sydney's character has cut the line - especially in light of what we've seen of carmy's journey to get where he is. and now they're basically partners/equals, even though she's been hesitant to sign her deal. and meanwhile other chefs are offering her jobs to run her own shit. no, i don't feel like she's earned that, as far as the series has shown us. and if you don't show us, we won't know it or believe it. if it's not on the page, it's not on the stage, and so forth.

and i think that has added to her likability, or lack thereof.

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Obviously it's their story to tell as they will, but I really don't feel the need to experience cinematic labor yet again. 

Since you've been revisiting the Mad Men thread but I've been trying to compare to Don to Carmy as characters and asking why The Bear feels inert when Mad Men did not.  Or perhaps I'm just not remember it well (I feel like everyone was struggling through the Megan episodes, although I personally liked them). 

i love the megan era, but parts of the betty era (early and late) are a snoozefest for me.

i think draper came out during the great run of alpha-male anti-heroes who were deeply flawed and got away with murder. draper, soprano, white, underwood, mackey, givens, horseman. 

carmy is ultra-talented, but has also been battered and abused by people and circumstances around him, which is why he's the way he is. whether the show gets him to rise above all that is anyone's call, but if he still can't dodge the fuck-you-yell-a-thons with richie, i'm not super hopeful he'll evolve in any satisfactory way.

43 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Off-topic but best omelet in film/tv history belongs to Big Night (although the interwebs is correcting me that it was a frittata). 

Yeah, I guess once you flip it, it's not an omelette.  The work flow accompanying someone's making a French omelette is extremely satisfying for some reason.

17 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'm getting Helobius'd in so many threads right now. It's incredible that a guy can be so wrong so often about such a wide swath of things. Sports, food, entertainment...you name it.

I haven't checked in a couple of hours, but he's not on the hurricane thread saying Beryl is going to hit South Carolina, is he?

• Haha 1