The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, you see, for starters Noah’s son Ham was cursed and that’s where black people come from. 

Was Watermelon not available as a name yet? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, you see, for starters Noah’s son Ham was cursed and that’s where black people come from. 

The way I remember it was Abel worked hard all summer harvesting his crops, while Cain just played in the field. Then when Winter came, Abel had all the nuts; Cain had no nuts, so he killed him.

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The way I remember it was Abel worked hard all summer harvesting his crops, while Cain just played in the field. Then when Winter came, Abel had all the nuts; Cain had no nuts, so he killed him.

If anyone has nuts it was Cain. He was a farmer. Abel was a shepherd. God favored Abel’s sacrifices of meat over Cain’s plant offerings and that’s why Cain killed Abel.

The moral of the story is that God hates vegans. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

The Carroll ISD has given the finger to the DOJ, saying it doesn’t have the authority to provide oversight on the racial issues plaguing  the district. They cited the SC’s Chevron deference ruling as a rationale for their defiance. When the interlopers from Balch Springs took their seats on the Carroll school board, they made their presence known in a hurry.

On 6/25/2024 at 9:24 PM, Dahobbs said:

He is arguing that Oklahoma misinterpreted Oklahoma's Constitution. That ain't going anywhere. There is no federal issue here. And even this Court isn't going to find one. 

And Ryan can't fucking read.

Section 5. No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such.

Any time a MAGAT invokes the Constitution, even a state one, you can be about 100% sure they have no idea what they're talking about.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Who didn’t see this coming

Without reading the article let me play devil’s advocate-if you want to play ball in DeSantis Florida, particularly with the GOP attacking higher Ed as bastion of leftists, then spending money keeping friendly with the Gov and GOP dominated legislature doesn’t appear some secret kick-back machine, it seems like it’s necessary to preserve the institution.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Without reading the article let me play devil’s advocate-if you want to play ball in DeSantis Florida, particularly with the GOP attacking higher Ed as bastion of leftists, then spending money keeping friendly with the Gov and GOP dominated legislature doesn’t appear some secret kick-back machine, it seems like it’s necessary to preserve the institution.  

That plays better if Sasse wasn't a longtime republican congressman...even if he was anti MAGA, and the fact that he more than TRIPLED THE BUDGET. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

The Carroll ISD has given the finger to the DOJ, saying it doesn’t have the authority to provide oversight on the racial issues plaguing  the district. They cited the SC’s Chevron deference ruling as a rationale for their defiance. When the interlopers from Balch Springs took their seats on the Carroll school board, they made their presence known in a hurry.

don’t be black in that isd and you’re good to go 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And Ryan can't fucking read.

Section 5. No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such.

Any time a MAGAT invokes the Constitution, even a state one, you can be about 100% sure they have no idea what they're talking about.

Ryan can read.

He's running to be Trump's Secretary of Education (or the Secretary of Dismantling Education).

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

LOL at academic administrative bloat under the microscope at Florida. Sasse just resigned ostensibly as a result of his wife’s neurological post stroke seizure situation. 

Ahh yes, someone who is not in academics whining about administrative bloat, something they know nothing about but just assume because that’s what all radical republicans do with topics they know nothing about,

Notes Write That Down GIF by Team Coco

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

LOL at academic administrative bloat under the microscope at Florida. Sasse just resigned ostensibly as a result of his wife’s neurological post stroke seizure situation. 

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Ahh yes, someone who is not in academics whining about administrative bloat, something they know nothing about but just assume because that’s what all radical republicans do with topics they know nothing about,

Not only that, someone who is part of the health "insurance" industry complaining about administrative bloat lol. 

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Uh, you posted a link to an article about out of control spending on McKinsey consultants and crony appointments at UF. In that context your reaction here appears to just be a trigger response to the term "administrative bloat". But TIL that that McKinsey has built out a whole line of business around higher ed consulting, which I guess should not be surprising. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/education/how-we-help-clients/higher-education

Edited by Anastasis

44 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Really had no opinion of vouchers but considering billionaires are buying off politicians for it- must be awful.

And those billionaires are doing it either to A) steer public education money into their private companies (aka "fuck you pay me") or B) for religious reasons.

Both of those things are extremely bad.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

CyFair ISD offering Bible electives starting next year: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/concerns-raised-busing-bible-focused-electives-19628825.php

One community member, Mary Ann Jackson, who identified herself as a Christian Protestant, said that the textbook in question was not, in her opinion, the best one out there, after reviewing it during public viewing last week, and that it might be outdated by the time of the course

Can a Bible textbook be outdated in a year? I suppose it doesn't mention the glorious return of the Bible loving Donald Trump to lead us to salvation. 

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I love the poorly educated!!

Screenshot_20240813_163148_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7038c081932a8cd177b4bc5bdce2551f.jpg

I don’t know about all of these rankings but US News uses students’ AP scores in grading a state’s and even individual school’s rankings. Not by student name of course. It’s a large part of the ranking by determining college readiness  

the Oklahoma state board of education told US News to f-off when US News asked twice for permission to have the scores sent to them. The ranking ultimately gave Oklahoma a 0 for 30% of the scoring. Oklahoma really showed them US News commies.

normally states and school district like to do whatever is possible to pump up their rankings. OK took a unique approach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know about all of these rankings but US News uses students’ AP scores in grading a state’s and even individual school’s rankings. Not by student name of course. It’s a large part of the ranking by determining college readiness  

the Oklahoma state board of education told US News to f-off when US News asked twice for permission to have the scores sent to them. The ranking ultimately gave Oklahoma a 0 for 30% of the scoring. Oklahoma really showed them US News commies.

normally states and school district like to do whatever is possible to pump up their rankings. OK took a unique approach.

Retarded approach and Oklahoma is full of retards 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you have a link for that? Not that I doubt Oklahoma told US News to fuck off, but AP scores by state are not hard to come by. Every AP teacher gets a breakdown of how their students did on every part of the test and compares it to the state and global average.

I know, because I teach AP classes in a school with a large percentage of first and second-generation immigrants. And we always outscore the Texas average and almost always outscore the global average. And I don't say that to brag. I say that to give a nice "Fuck you" to anyone who talks bad about my students and calls their home countries "shitholes".

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Do you have a link for that? Not that I doubt Oklahoma told US News to fuck off, but AP scores by state are not hard to come by. Every AP teacher gets a breakdown of how their students did on every part of the test and compares it to the state and global average.

I know, because I teach AP classes in a school with a large percentage of first and second-generation immigrants. And we always outscore the Texas average and almost always outscore the global average. And I don't say that to brag. I say that to give a nice "Fuck you" to anyone who talks bad about my students and calls their home countries "shitholes".

https://kfor.com/news/local/u-s-news-osde-denied-access-to-data-skewing-oklahoma-school-rankings/

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And those billionaires are doing it either to A) steer public education money into their private companies (aka "fuck you pay me") or B) for religious reasons.

Both of those things are extremely bad.

This is a nationwide issue. New Yorkers are just as bad here about handing money to private companies through the charter school clown show of a system. Ruining a child’s education just to get a new revenue stream is so on brand for the US as a whole.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Kirk Cameron out there pushing MAGA/Qanon bullshit

Crack Cameron? Guy looks terrible. Not trying to offend any gay people, but he seems totally gay and in the closet and it is becoming more obvious the older he gets. I used to think he was so cool watching Growing Pains, then he completely changed and turned into a religious asshole. Kirk and Candace Cameron should take their MAGA asses back to the Hallmark channel. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CyFair ISD offering Bible electives starting next year: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/concerns-raised-busing-bible-focused-electives-19628825.php

Can a Bible textbook be outdated in a year? I suppose it doesn't mention the glorious return of the Bible loving Donald Trump to lead us to salvation. 

I’d argue the Bible has been outdated for about, oh, a couple thousand years 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

He should go angle of making sure the Bible is placed in the fiction section of library. 
This way whatever stories are told are no different than “Grimm’s fairy tales” 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

He should go angle of making sure the Bible is placed in the fiction section of library. 
This way whatever stories are told are no different than “Grimm’s fairy tales” 

That Oklahoma dept of ed said the bible is a significant historical document lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

You know there was at least one state rep in that room flabbergasted on the statement that teaching the Bible could be construed as indoctrination.

But but how can it be indoctrination when it’s the Truth?

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s no direction on how Christianity should be taught. There’s currently nothing to stop a teacher from tearing down that bullshit in front of the class.

Other than the fact they'll be fired immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s no direction on how Christianity should be taught. There’s currently nothing to stop a teacher from tearing down that bullshit in front of the class.

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Other than the fact they'll be fired immediately. 

Exactly. Tell a student that the Bible isn't fact, and start looking for a job by the end of the day for indoctrinating students against Jesus.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He put up a YouTube video for those of you who want to see a bit more, and/or pass this around to people you know.

You see the guy on the very right who leaves, then reappears and starts talking to the guy next to him and is playing with his phone while Talarico is talking? That’s Democrat House Rep. Oscar Longoria from the RGV. He was a co-author (and the only Democrat) to sponsor HB 900 - the book banning bill. He is also one of the Democrats on the Public Education Committee who votes with Republicans a lot of the time. He did not vote for school vouchers last session, but he does take money from pro-voucher groups. I would not be surprised if he is one of the swing votes the Republicans need to get a new school voucher bill passed. 

• Rage+1 6