Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

Would not have guessed that.  I suppose there's been WS titles won on walk-off HR's, but I guess not a game 7 just a clincher 5 or 6.  But when I was talking about Bobby Richardson to somebody, he told me that Game 7---nobody struck out despite 8, count 'em 8, All-Star pitchers had time on the mound between both squads during that game 7.  

Like Augie always said, a tragic and beautiful sport.  And just when you think you have it figured out, Mazeroski comes to the plate. 

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Would not have guessed that.  I suppose there's been WS titles won on walk-off HR's, but I guess not a game 7 just a clincher 5 or 6.  But when I was talking about Bobby Richardson to somebody, he told me that Game 7---nobody struck out despite 8, count 'em 8, All-Star pitchers had time on the mound between both squads during that game 7.  

Like Augie always said, a tragic and beautiful sport.  And just when you think you have it figured out, Mazeroski comes to the plate. 

Joe Carter game 6 is the only other WS walk off HR.  Aaron Boone 2003 ALCS is only other post season game 7 walk off HR.  there have been more series ending lately because of more playoff series.  Chambliss ended 1976 ALCS in Game 5 when it was only a 5 game series.

the only(non-single game wild card) winner-take-all series walk offs are Mazeroski, Boone, Chambliss.  All games were tied at the time of the HR.

The last frontier is if someone wins a game 7 with a walk off HR while down instead of tied.

and that's all I have to say about that...

Yeah, someday our children will be talking about the series-winning walk-off home run in the play-in 3-game series to get into the WC play-in game to get into the quarter finals of the LDS before the play-in tournament bracket is settled after Thanksgiving.  

As much as I knew about how to play this game, and as I know now about the game its history.  

I still can't explain the Infield Fly rule and I still have no fucking idea how Hideki Matsui played 163 games for the Yankees in a season in which they went 101-61.  

But if you need to know about a guy who was legally intoxicated while pitching, got struck by lightning late in the game, and still completed the game after 5 minutes of being legally dead---I gotta game for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

No games today… seems like a good time to to give a salute to former Yankee pitcher King Cole, who I only learned about recently. Diagnosed with terminal lung cancer at the beginning of the 1915 season, he was given just months to live. He had surgery to remove the tumor anyway and worked to rejoin the team in July, finishing the year with a 3.18 ERA in 10 games. He died several months later in January 1916.  

IMG_4676.thumb.jpeg.05088c2ebd257368018fab82e772a3f3.jpeg

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:40 PM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, someday our children will be talking about the series-winning walk-off home run in the play-in 3-game series to get into the WC play-in game to get into the quarter finals of the LDS before the play-in tournament bracket is settled after Thanksgiving.  

As much as I knew about how to play this game, and as I know now about the game its history.  

I still can't explain the Infield Fly rule and I still have no fucking idea how Hideki Matsui played 163 games for the Yankees in a season in which they went 101-61.  

But if you need to know about a guy who was legally intoxicated while pitching, got struck by lightning late in the game, and still completed the game after 5 minutes of being legally dead---I gotta game for you.

Another fun pitcher story is the Dock Ellis LSD game.  I have never seen the actual game footage in its entirety, but the "NO NO: A Dockumentary"  features some of it. Here's a clip of it that shows part of the game here, but you can find the whole doc on some streaming services. It came out some years ago, and it's been a while since I watched it, but the parts about his MLB career and game stories was great. 

• Drool 1

people around here loved to act like i wildly overrated Niño, but he was the truth, and on his way to being an all-time great before he died. his death impacted me more than any other celebrity death ever. still not over it. damn. 

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

He has 170 Ks for his career so I am going to go with a no on that one lol 

I try to answer without looking anything up.  figured it was a guy who had one magical year and then faded.  Mark Fydrich is the gold standard for that but yes, it appears he was not a strikeout pitcher.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I try to answer without looking anything up.  figured it was a guy who had one magical year and then faded.  Mark Fydrich is the gold standard for that but yes, it appears he was not a strikeout pitcher.
Oh i got you...i wouldn't have thought his K number was that low

the 70's/80's is a good hint but it's also drawing all my educated guesses away like Mark Langston (didn't pitch in the 70's IIRC).  I was thinking some guys way back in the 50's/60's.  It's either some flash in the pan who played late 70's/early 80's to qualify for the thing.  Or it was some ace who racked up 300+ in the 1970's and bounced around in the 80's well beyond his prime.  there's a bunch of guys in the 2000's, but they get locked down the second they have a small injury.  

I know it's not right, but I'll throw it out there to eliminate him but Mickey Lolich for Detroit? 

29 minutes ago, Scraps said:

He has 170 Ks for his career so I am going to go with a no on that one lol 

IIRC, Fidrych didn't even have 100 K's his big season.  250-something innings and fewer than 100 K's, game was a bit different.

I know the answer, only because I used him in Immaculate Grid this morning when I was trying to come up with a 70's guy with a lot of K's; had no idea that he only had 1 season with 200+...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Hint: He had his first name on the back of his jersey.  He also switched uniform numbers A LOT.

Boom.  Vida Blue.  Always found his baseball cards fascinating as a kid because of some of them (depending on Topps, Fleer, etc.) would show "VIDA" on the back instead of "BLUE" 

csb/ saw him pitch at Wrigley in '85 with my dad.  

On the theme of strikeouts:

Which 3,000K+ career pitcher had the fewest 200k+ seasons?  

Edited by YGIFS

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Boom.  Vida Blue.  Always found his baseball cards fascinating as a kid because of some of them (depending on Topps, Fleer, etc.) would show "VIDA" on the back instead of "BLUE" 

csb/ saw him pitch at Wrigley in '85 with my dad.  

On the theme of strikeouts:

Which 3,000K+ career pitcher had the fewest 200k+ seasons?  

my second guess was Guidry but he only had 248 in his big season. Blue was my third.

as to your question  Sutton?

Posted (edited)

Decent guess.  But Sutton recorded 200+K's in 5 seasons.  

Obviously, longevity is the key hint here.  Think old-school, inning eaters with rather average K/9i ratios.

Edited by YGIFS

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Decent guess.  But Sutton recorded 200+K's in 5 seasons.  

HINT:  Kinda of a trick question.  "fewest 200+ seasons to get to 3000 overall", doesn't necessarily have to mean just one

Niekro?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes.  Phil Niekro had 3, first of his kind to the 3k mark.  Sabbathia would join him 35 years later, also with 3, on his way.  

To your previous answer of Sutton.  He also holds the esteemed mark of being the only modern-era pitcher to get to 300 career wins, while winning 20+ in a single season.........just once. 14 wins for 23 seasons, on average.  Led the league in GS just once.  Never led the league in IPs, averaged just 2bb/9inn, only 3 seasons with an ERA over 4.00 in 23 seasons.  Only saw  him much later in his career on his '88 Dodgers farewell tour.  Didn't realize how consistent that guy was until now.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I know the answer, only because I used him in Immaculate Grid this morning

Me too!  Looking at his baseballref page led me to the question.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it is kind of crazy how rare 300K's is.  in the modern era only 19 different pitchers have done it.

383 will be harder to break than 5,714.

still kinda blows me away the Nolan only broke the record by 1.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it is kind of crazy how rare 300K's is.  in the modern era only 19 different pitchers have done it.

And there's not much on the horizon to join them.  Kershaw this year.  Even though he missed 20/21/22 with injuries (57 total K's over those three seasons), Sale appears to be healthy.  I think he makes it before 40yo.  Cole is a question mark.  50/50 shot, at best.  And then anybody else even close to 2000 is pushing 40yo.  So maybe 2 more, 3 with some miracle within our lifetimes?  

19 of the 20 (assuming Kershaw gets it this year), will have occurred in the last 50 years, 7 just in the last 20.  

while looking up 300K pitchers I see this season from Sam McDowell in 1968.

37 starts, 18 complete games, 1.81 ERA,  record 15-14.   Christ on a cracker I would have had to choke some bitches out in the Indians lineup.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And there's not much on the horizon to join them.  Kershaw this year.  Even though he missed 20/21/22 with injuries (57 total K's over those three seasons), Sale appears to be healthy.  I think he makes it before 40yo.  Cole is a question mark.  50/50 shot, at best.  And then anybody else even close to 2000 is pushing 40yo.  So maybe 2 more, 3 with some miracle within our lifetimes?  

19 of the 20 (assuming Kershaw gets it this year), will have occurred in the last 50 years, 7 just in the last 20.  

In a time when K’s have never been more prevalent in the game 

Edited by UTexasFight

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

300 K's in a season not 3000 K's

• Like 1

Well my point about the 3000k career club still stands.  

Okay, back to 300k's in a season, even in this era.  

Which pitcher achieved 300k+ in a single season in the fewest innings?  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

while looking up 300K pitchers I see this season from Sam McDowell in 1968.

37 starts, 18 complete games, 1.81 ERA,  record 15-14.   Christ on a cracker I would have had to choke some bitches out in the Indians lineup.

Year of the pitcher, famous for Denny McLain's 31 wins.  His ERA was 15 points higher at 1.96.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well my point about the 3000k career club still stands.  

Okay, back to 300k's in a season, even in this era.  

Which pitcher achieved 300k+ in a single season in the fewest innings?  

Cole in '22?

2 hours ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I weep for Zack Greinke

I was hoping the Royals would suck this year and pick him up for minimum to help him get those last few Ks to hit 3000.  The A's or White Sox should reach out, it would be something for their fans to look forward to. They can get him in some starts, or let him take the mound instead of a position player in a blow out for fun. 

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I was hoping the Royals would suck this year and pick him up for minimum to help him get those last few Ks to hit 3000.  The A's or White Sox should reach out, it would be something for their fans to look forward to. They can get him in some starts, or let him take the mound instead of a position player in a blow out for fun. 

It would take him ~7 or more starts to get the 21 he needs 

8 hours ago, Scraps said:
8 hours ago, WBT said:
Cole in '22?

2019 maybe

Yeah, brain fart, meant 19.  The year he and Verlander both hit 300.  Cole missed a little bit of time injured.

Yes, Cole in 2019---needing just one less inning than Pedro Martinez to take the prize.  326 K's in 212 1/3 innings.  Sale's 214 1/3 is honorable mention.

None of them can hold a candle though to the great John Clarkson who mowed down 308 batters in 623 innings in 1885.  Some say he's still throwing both ends of a double-header in two weeks.