Trivia/History thread

Beau Vine

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard a good one on Astros radio.  Oneil Cruz has 17 HR which is the 3rd most in a season by a SS in the 143 years of Pirates baseball.  He has a great shot at the record.  The most is 19 by Arky Vaughan in 1935.

Which SS broke Ozzie Smith's run of 13 consecutive gold gloves?

Follow-up on SS...which player played the most consecutive innings in a row at SS?  Games started doesn't matter, and remember if the guy played 3B or DH somewhere in there, even for just a game, his count restarts.  Consecutive games doesn't matter.  When he played in the game, who has the longest inning streak of just playing SS?  

Posted (edited)

Holy shit I can't believe this is on YouTube.  I went to this game with a buddy and we went up to that section to see the seat Jimmy Wynn hit a home run into because it was painted up . There was nobody sitting within 20 sections of there. Anyway the top of the 9th rolls around so we have to go back to our regular seats to find his dad and this happens 

It would have been within 10 feet of us. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Pffftt...Helobious could have taken Frank LaCorte deep!

It was fucking crushed.  I was also in attendance for this fucking moonshot by Piazza in 98. I can't find how to embed at a certain time but go to 6:29. I was sitting in left field and had a great view of it. I'm not bullshitting when I say this thing went OVER the American flag in dead center field (which you can't even see in the replay) and looked like it was still rising. You can tell from the highlights it sounded like a gunshot and it was the hardest hit ball I've ever seen.

Edited by Dennis Taylor

What 2 teams in the modern era had longer losing streaks than the current Chicago White Sox? Chicago will tie for second with a loss tonight at Oakland.

Spoiler

23 games - 1961 Philadelphia Phillies

21 games - 1988 Baltimore Orioles

Cy Young made his major league debut for the Cleveland Spiders today in 1890.  Spiders won 8-1 over the Chicago Colts.

Hank Aaron breaks the record for most HR with a single team with his 660 and 661st HR in 1972.  Babe Ruth held the record for 38 years. 

Public Service Announcement.  

If you haven't seen The Battered Bastards of Baseball, make some time.  It's worth it.  Netflix I think.

• Drool 1

This day in baseball history connects two players in a very interesting way.  One of whom you know well, the other you probably never heard of.  

Ted Williams returns from home from another stint in Korea and resumes the season on this day with the Sox.  He'll only play 37 games but does masterfully.  Over the course of his magnificent career, Ted will hit three home runs in a game, twice in the same season. Ted will be the only player to achieve this feat for 110 years.  

But on this same date in 1982, little known 3b outside of Baltimore or SoCal...Angels' Doug DeCinces will go yard three times in Seattle.  He accomplished the same 3-bomb performance just three days earlier versus the Twins. 

In that he stood alone with the great Ted Williams.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Today in 1988, the Cubs tried to play their first night game in history after 112 years.  Game was cancelled after 3 1/2 innings because of rain.  However, the first night game at Wrigley was in 1943 during WWII when the All-American Girls Pro League played their All-Star game there under temporary lighting.  Now ya' know.

• Hook 'Em 1

LET THERE BE LIGHT!

-Harry Caray, 8-8-88

Yep, I remember watching the rainout at some sports bar near Wrigleyville with my friend and his Dad.  I think his plan was to scalp tickets at the last minute, by the time we got seated and ordered food---the tarp was already out and the players were sliding and gliding all over the tarps (no respect for the sacrifices of Vince Coleman).  It's funny, because about 6 weeks later, my dad took my buddy and I to go see a little known baseball movie (at the time), "Bull Durham."  Where the players pretty much do the same thing as they did at Wrigley that night. 

Later tonight will mark 36 years the Cubs actually play their first full night game.  They'll beat the Mets 6-4 and go on to play just 4 more night games the rest of that season at home.  To this day due to various city ordinances, the Cubs play about 30-40 home games under the lights.  And that's fine, I've only see a handful of games at night there over the past 30 years when I visit.  But I've seen about 100 day games there since I was 2.  With all respect to Getaway Day/Businessman's Special games at Minute Maid and other parks (I've taken in my share of those as well).....to this day, there really is nothing like an afternoon weekday game at Wrigley.  

• Hook 'Em 2

speaking of 3 home run games, in 1938 Merv Connors hit 3 HR's in a game for the White Sox.  His career HR total.....8.
He bested Tuffy Rhodes 3 HR on opening day in 1994 career total 13.

I remember watching that game on WGN.

I do not remember watching Ol Merv the Perv
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Derka said:

pretty close. the answer is three. i was very surprised by that. 

yeah, he played on some not so good teams I'm sure, between the cubs and rangers.  

from things I didn't know/remember department...

while researching Fergie and Rangers I checked on the 77 team that won 94 games and had a major league record 4 managers in one season. the wiki page for that team mentioned Danny Thompson the SS on the 76 team(after being traded from the twins) died of leukemia in Dec 76 before the 77 season.

I remember his 1976 Topps Twins card but didn't remember a 77 card.  Apparently Topps had a Rangers 77 card ready to go but was pulled after he died.

strange on cards after a player dies - Clemente had a 73 card but Munson and Thompson don't have 1980 or 1977 card.  same thing would happen after a retirement(no card) so you rarely have a standard issue player card with a player's complete career stats.

Edit: and to full circle this the 1973 Pat Corrales card has HOF Fergie Jenkins sliding in to home.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 2

fergie jenkins in 1974:

•led the league in wins (25)

•led the league in cg (29)

•led the league in k/bb (5.00)

•led the league in bb/9 (1.2)

•had a 2.82 era and 1.00 whip in 328.1 ip

•finished 2nd in the cy young, 5th in the mvp race

•didn’t make the all star team

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Derka said:

fergie jenkins in 1974:

•led the league in wins (25)

•led the league in cg (29)

•led the league in k/bb (5.00)

•led the league in bb/9 (1.2)

•had a 2.82 era and 1.00 whip in 328.1 ip

•finished 2nd in the cy young, 5th in the mvp race

•didn’t make the all star team

yeah but John Hiller made it.  what American League record does John Hiller still hold?

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yeah but John Hiller made it.  what American League record does John Hiller still hold?

Not sure the exact record, but something to do with how he somehow went 17-14 as a relief pitcher (most decisions w/o starting, I guess?).  Considering just a handful of starting pitchers run up that decision count, that's quite impressive. 

Speaking of Jenkins though, he played on some shit teams most of his career.  This isn't a trivia question, just me wondering---what year did they make that rule where every single team got at least one player (position or pitcher) on the All-Star roster, no matter how the voting came in?  

Today in 1954 Sports Illustrated hit the newsstand with its first issue.  Milwaukee Braves Eddie Matthews is swinging away in a home game against the NY Giants.  Also, today in 1870 Pro pitcher Fred Goldsmith proves a curveball is not an illusion.  The demonstration set up is described on Bill Stern's Wiki page.

Fred Goldsmith (baseball) - Wikipedia

Bill Stern - Wikipedia

Now you know.

1957 Alice Roth takes a foul ball off the bat of future HOFer Phillies Richie Ashburn and breaks her nose.  Play is stopped for the medics to put her on a stretcher.  As they begin to leave and play is resumed on the next pitch, Ashburn fouls one off and breaks a bone in her leg.  Story doesn't stop here folks, click the link for additional fun facts on the incident.

The Foul Story of Baseball’s Unluckiest Fan – Commonplace Fun Facts (commonplacefacts.com)

Now you know.

• 2 weeks later...