LBGTQ

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

From the university that is littered w/ gloryholes.  

They are very progressive

The Don Kelly Research Collection of Gay Literature and Culture Fellowship 2024-2025

https://cushing.library.tamu.edu/programs/don_kelly_fellowship.html

https://liberalarts.tamu.edu/blog/2022/06/03/the-don-kelly-research-collection-of-gay-literature-and-culture/

When Texas A&M University acquired the Don Kelly Research Collection of Gay Literature and Culture, rare LGBTQIA+ documents, journals, literary works, and more invaluable resources were carefully preserved and made available to the masses. 

Public access to the Don Kelly Collection is shifting the narrative of LGBTQIA+ support on campus and informing research across the country through the College of Liberal Arts/Cushing Library Don Kelly Research Collection Fellowship. 

And the results are tangible. In 2014, Texas A&M was ranked 11th on Princeton Review’s list of most LGBTQIA+-unfriendly schools in the nation. Two years later, according to Hankins, Texas A&M was ranked among the top ten friendliest.

I’m honestly surprised some inbred SEC type hasn’t tried to firebomb the place.

I like your passive-aggressive style, troph.  Don't take no shit.  

However, if I may offer a pro-tip.  Let them have their little upside-flag tantrum over Trump as disrespectful and hate-filled as it is (never mind a violation of flag laws).  But on Thursday, take down you pride colors and put up a proper American Flag.  And let them see you do it.  And they make some snide remark about "Oh, you're taking down your pride stuff for a real flag?"  You point to their upside down bullshit and say, "I'm putting up a flag properly because it's the 80th anniversary of D-Day.  The service members who fell so we could all live in freedom as we see fit.  Looks like you fucked your flag up, real nice gesture to veterans."  Then you put your pride colors and banners back out on Friday and have yourself a kick-ass Pride Month, you've earned it.  

Or I can light a bag of shit on fire and toss it on his porch, I've got spare time.  Your call.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I like your passive-aggressive style, troph.  Don't take no shit.  

However, if I may offer a pro-tip.  Let them have their little upside-flag tantrum over Trump as disrespectful and hate-filled as it is (never mind a violation of flag laws).  But on Thursday, take down you pride colors and put up a proper American Flag.  And let them see you do it.  And they make some snide remark about "Oh, you're taking down your pride stuff for a real flag?"  You point to their upside down bullshit and say, "I'm putting up a flag properly because it's the 80th anniversary of D-Day.  The service members who fell so we could all live in freedom as we see fit.  Looks like you fucked your flag up, real nice gesture to veterans."  Then you put your pride colors and banners back out on Friday and have yourself a kick-ass Pride Month, you've earned it.  

Or I can light a bag of shit on fire and toss it on his porch, I've got spare time.  Your call.  

We don’t have flag poles up yet it’s on the short list but we will take said lights and go red white and blue on Thursday for sure. Great call.

It doesn't have to be like a permanent, cemented flag-pole.   I mean just one of those little bracket deals you can affix to a tree or a house support beam.  Cool looking lights and great looking spread, btw.  I guess you don't mess up your fancy walls but you can also just get a temporary rig that sits in your lawn (can't remember what they're called).  But you can adjust them so the flag doesn't touch the ground.  I dunno, I just like fucking with mean people.  But you gotta admit, it'd be fun as hell to do with their upside-down bullshit on D-Day's 80th.  

Every pride month reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about years ago when Arizona became (IIRC) the last state to recognize MLK Day as a state holiday.  And he has the rant about "How fucking ignorant you gotta be to not take a free day off work?  Not like you gotta do any black shit that day, just stay home and relax."  I live in Austin with lots of LGBTQ friends so it's more festive here and I attend an event or two each year to show support. But I forget so much of the state and the country, is like an Onion article.  "Yeah, it's Pride Month.  You don't like it, just don't go to the parade.  Don't donate, don't advocate, don't get any surgeries, don't suck anybody's dick.  Just let it be.  Got nothing to do with you."  But seriously, y'all need to organize your parade routes better, the fucking traffic on the weekends in June.  C'mon! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It doesn't have to be like a permanent, cemented flag-pole.   I mean just one of those little bracket deals you can affix to a tree or a house support beam.  Cool looking lights and great looking spread, btw.  I guess you don't mess up your fancy walls but you can also just get a temporary rig that sits in your lawn (can't remember what they're called).  But you can adjust them so the flag doesn't touch the ground.  I dunno, I just like fucking with mean people.  But you gotta admit, it'd be fun as hell to do with their upside-down bullshit on D-Day's 80th.  

Every pride month reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about years ago when Arizona became (IIRC) the last state to recognize MLK Day as a state holiday.  And he has the rant about "How fucking ignorant you gotta be to not take a free day off work?  Not like you gotta do any black shit that day, just stay home and relax."  I live in Austin with lots of LGBTQ friends so it's more festive here and I attend an event or two each year to show support. But I forget so much of the state and the country, is like an Onion article.  "Yeah, it's Pride Month.  You don't like it, just don't go to the parade.  Don't donate, don't advocate, don't get any surgeries, don't suck anybody's dick.  Just let it be.  Got nothing to do with you."  But seriously, y'all need to organize your parade routes better, the fucking traffic on the weekends in June.  C'mon! 

Dude people would lose their fucking minds if there was a day off work for queer folk like Harvey Milk Day or Stonewall Day or TDOR or something. Can you imagine?

flags - well we live on the lake, gotta have a legit flag pole. It’s part of the vibe.

14 hours ago, troph said:

Our neighbor has an upside down American flag and a trump flag up now. We are going to flood our house with pride colors the next few weeks as long as he’s doing that shit

image.png.2f3c378888673cac8a00e02516a91c3b.png

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, troph said:

Dude people would lose their fucking minds if there was a day off work for queer folk like Harvey Milk Day or Stonewall Day or TDOR or something. Can you imagine?

Just look at Easter and the overlap with TDoV this year lol

27 minutes ago, troph said:

alphabet soup ally (lobo) and HJ hired for poop slinging duties. we will report back soon.

I mean, I'd prefer to help you pick out the flag pole and assemble it over being seen on your neighbor's nest cam shitting into a bag.  But if it demonstrates my support, I'm all in.  Or all out, as it were.  First thing we're gonna need is some magnesium citrate and burritos.  

• Haha 1

Gotta be weird being neighbors with people who waive to you when you pull in your driveway, but, after a few beers, probably lament how it would be great if you just didn't exist. Respect for handling it in about the classiest/coolest way possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Gotta be weird being neighbors with people who waive to you when you pull in your driveway, but, after a few beers, probably lament how it would be great if you just didn't exist. Respect for handling it in about the classiest/coolest way possible.

yeah it's the background noise that never goes away.  he's actually a decent guy just misguided all to hell. the cisgender, straight, white guys who haven't lived outside a conservative, cisgender, straight white guy world have no fucking idea that many of us live in a different world that's actually full of headwinds, and they have no idea their exceptionalism is all built on tailwinds. just wildly unaware. so in the end, he's not a mean guy, he's just ignorant as fuck. at some point that is the equivalent of hate but for now it's not. but yeah, we aren't likely to be headed to neighborhood pickleball until after the election.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Trans icon no other way to describe her. She was one of just a couple of examples that made me hope I could do this when I was a late aged teenager and early 20-something. She didn’t get the professional accolades then but she was always listed in trans resources as an example of someone who made it through the gauntlet and was better for it on the other side with some semblance of a “normal” life focused not on gender anymore but on excelling at a high level in her profession. Her contribution to trans existence was and is far more powerful than her contributions to the semiconductor industry and that’s saying something.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, troph said:

Won’t work, still shopping at HEB. Nice try though. 

Lol. Yeah, Kroger mostly sucks and that’s just corporate pandering. But they’re one of the nation’s largest grocery chains and if that email melts a MAGA brain or two then good for them.

At least they’re open. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I know what you mean by the word pandering but I’ll dial it back a tad to say it really is meaningful for us in a day and age where public ridicule is always a risk.  It’s nice to know a lesbian couple can walk into the grocery store and talk about what they are making for dinner that night knowing if a Maga fucktard says something and tries to escalate that we are in an establishment that will side with us. It’s not a regular occurrence by any means but knowing that makes the unrelenting background noise quieter. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Hobby Lobby has toilets? I haven't been in one since maybe high school. 

You think Chachi sucks cock over in the yarn aisle?  Bathrooms at HL are his cover. 

I can't speak for all of us but I can say the corporate "pandering" is a lot better than the alternative. Jon Stewart has every right to call corporate america on the carpet for any bullshit but to be perfectly honest, corporate america was as important to my ability to keep my professional life intact as anyone else.  In fact I once stood in front of a room of Fortune 500 HR leaders and at the end of my speech I told them "don't dare let anyone say you don't have a soul or that you don't care, because it was due to your steadfastness to me (some my clients are F500) that I was able to protect my children from financial harm due to my transition." I meant it. I got a standing ovation for my speech. In the end, corporations are in this for shareholder value, thankfully, we the queers have the allyship of enough people so that corporations generally see standing by us is a positive thing for them, because God knows it hasn't always been that way. So when I see over corportization of pride, I think it's way better than it was even if the pride parades are really only for straight people and corporations now.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, troph said:

I can't speak for all of us but I can say the corporate "pandering" is a lot better than the alternative. Jon Stewart has every right to call corporate america on the carpet for any bullshit but to be perfectly honest, corporate america was as important to my ability to keep my professional life intact as anyone else.  In fact I once stood in front of a room of Fortune 500 HR leaders and at the end of my speech I told them "don't dare let anyone say you don't have a soul or that you don't care, because it was due to your steadfastness to me (some my clients are F500) that I was able to protect my children from financial harm due to my transition." I meant it. I got a standing ovation for my speech. In the end, corporations are in this for shareholder value, thankfully, we the queers have the allyship of enough people so that corporations generally see standing by us is a positive thing for them, because God knows it hasn't always been that way. So when I see over corportization of pride, I think it's way better than it was even if the pride parades are really only for straight people and corporations now.

My company refuses to make a pride version or our logo, and they've come up with all kinds of reasons that are relatively reasonable for why not.  But I know people who have left over that, and I know people who believe that anything we do around minority rights, whether that's for our black employees or our veteran employees or our female employees is purely performative, because when it comes right down to it, they don't actually believe in any of it, they are just trying to be expedient about keeping those people on staff.  So yeah, it may be pandering for some, but it feels a whole lot better to be pandered to than it does to be told "Nah, I'm not even going to pander to you, you fucking queers."  Because for some of my former co-workers, that's exactly what the company was saying when they didn't change our logo for Pride.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

My company refuses to make a pride version or our logo, and they've come up with all kinds of reasons that are relatively reasonable for why not.  But I know people who have left over that, and I know people who believe that anything we do around minority rights, whether that's for our black employees or our veteran employees or our female employees is purely performative, because when it comes right down to it, they don't actually believe in any of it, they are just trying to be expedient about keeping those people on staff.  So yeah, it may be pandering for some, but it feels a whole lot better to be pandered to than it does to be told "Nah, I'm not even going to pander to you, you fucking queers."  Because for some of my former co-workers, that's exactly what the company was saying when they didn't change our logo for Pride.

I've worked for some companies that completely refused to acknowledge pride and some companies in the same industry that deck out the main lobby in rainbows.  It may be pandering, but one feels a hell of a lot better than the other.

• Hook 'Em 5

^ This.  I've worked at mainly smaller shops where I can kinda just dictate what we're gonna do.  But I've also worked at a massive Fortune50 corporation in finance.  And while a lot of it is pandering, it at least gets a conversation going.  It sure beats the hell out of just ignoring it and hoping it goes away.  Not to compare people's freedom to be who they truly are, but we've all been in a business meeting where we say something out loud and then immediately realize once we hear ourselves and see other's reactions, we're like "Oh shit, I'm a dumbass."  So while it may be pandering, take some small solace in that in every large corporate meeting about Pride Month or Black History Month or what have you, not everybody's minds were changed but at least one person opposed it aloud and then read the room and heard their own words and thought, "Well fuck.  I am the asshole after all."  It's a slow, cathartic change.  

There are no tectonic shifts.  It's the little moments of clarity and insight and acceptance and love that change things for the better.  That moment in Church when you realize Jesus said "Love one another as I have loved you"  and not "Oh yeah, that stuff my Dad said about gays...that's totally the most important thing."  It's when your kid comes home from school and describes somebody 'different' but wants to have a playdate with them, and instead of forbidding it...you drive them right over there.  It's the breakroom when the co-workers file in and look at Dwayne and ask, "What's your deal man, we were just gonna put up a pride flag in the warehouse for Judy.  It's not a big deal.  We helped you put up your Michigan flag last year when they won.  We're all stuck together 10 hours a day, just be cool.  Nobody's asking you do any queer shit, just let the colors be up for a few weeks."  

Different is scary, I get it.  I have been in some armpits of the world where I obviously stood out as a U.S. citizen and I was in a few close calls.  Not a racial or nationality thing, it was just I can blend in but on a few occasions, observant bad guys could tell I was a target for something bad.  But I have never once been at a Pride event or even a display of Pride solidarity and thought, "Oh yeah, I'm totally in an evil place"  I guess that mentality is the same one that leads the same person to believe, 'Well, if you're not doing anything wrong, then just cooperate and comply.'  You don't have to be an ally, but life is just easier when you stop giving a shit about what other people are doing.  

• Like 1